New to Elemental: Where to get started with modding

By on January 28, 2012 5:52:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TheColourOf...

Join Date 12/2008
+2

Hello,

I tried War of Magic back when it was new and soon put it down, now that Fallen Enchantress is coming out I'm willing to give it another try and want to get into modding.

I was wondering if there is any guides for how to get started?

Locked Post 6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 28, 2012 6:03:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't know of dedicated guides, but why not just having a look into Heavenfall's E:WoM-Mods to get an idea what can be achieved and how he did it: http://forums.elementalgame.com/forum/756

It may also be a good idea to get inspired by Heavenfalls attitude regarding the beta state of the game. Confusing the developers with reports on modding problems might be a bit counterproductive at this early stage: http://forums.elementalgame.com/416160

Have fun and good luck!

January 28, 2012 6:03:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I started this http://forums.elementalgame.com/403584 back in E:wom. I never finished it since modding had lost its pace. Most of what is written still applies.

Edit: The important bit you should take away from the link in the post above mine is this

I don't plan on releasing anything until mods are "officially" allowed. It is likely mods were disabled in FE beta to make sure players only reported bugs and crashes from an un-modded game. I have to respect that. At the same time, I see no point in keeping silent about upcoming mod features.

January 28, 2012 6:22:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Start by poking around your custom sovereign .xml file, it's very  easy to modify and doesn't change any core gameplay. This will also begin to give you an understanding of the .xml file system Elemental uses.

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\FallenEnchantress\Units

Can also mess with the your custom races and such.

January 28, 2012 6:34:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you everyone.

I have a further question, I've noticed that neither Heavenfall's WoM guide or his new FE beta guide mention quests. Is it possible to create custom quests?

Quoting Heavenfall,
I don't plan on releasing anything until mods are "officially" allowed.
Fair enough. Though it's a bit optimistic to be thinking about releasing anything at this point

January 28, 2012 6:38:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, it is possible. My Artifact mod for E:wom added several hundred dungeon quests.

Really, anything that is in the xml currently in the FE game can be added to or changed.

Mind you, the "workshop" is currently disabled in-game. It makes it hard to test some things like quests. You can't just place a quest on a map in the map maker without the workshop.

January 28, 2012 6:44:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks, pity about the workshop.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: