The Impulse/Steam scam: Gamestop is selling Steam client required software on Impulse

By on January 25, 2012 10:09:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

JCD-Bionicman

Join Date 08/2008
+1

It seems like everybody is using "WinCustomize talk" for general discussion. I cant actually find a general discussion catagory.

So heres the latest for steam exclusive games being advertised on Impulse:

"Half-Life, Portal and More! Valve Games Are Now Available on GameStop PC Downloads!"

When I first saw this I thought "wow thats pretty cool". In the fine print however, it says the steam client is required, and thats at the bottom only after clicking on the "read more" and in small letterings.

This trickery is done, ON PURPOSE by Gamestop no doubt having some sort of agreement with Steam. Steam sees the threat impulse poses. Impulse, while not very widely known, has a very superior DRM scheme to Steam.

Its very easy to miss that *steam required* fine print when your purchasing an "impulse" game. Even on retail copies, the part on the back of the game where it says the said fine print is designed to be overlooked.

So, why is Steam so bad? If you have an excellent internet connection then you wont have any problems with it, but people like me who have the lowest end connections speeds absolutely abhor it and even still people with decent connection speeds find it annoying.

Heres the stupidity of Steam:

The DRM is designed to prevent "unparalleled anti-piracy, making it a very popular retailer for software publishers and developers", yet every game on Steam has been pirated or will be pirated in the future. This raises questions as to how necessary Steam's intrusive DRM scheme is.

Mandatory updates: I have no idea why updates are mandatory when you have to be securely connected to Steam in order to play in the first place. Whoever in the company decided that this requirement was a good idea to implement was high or something, because anyone with half a brain can clearly see its not going to prevent pirating.

Games install more than once: I dont get this either. You buy a retail copy of the game, "install it from the disk" and then you are required to "update" when in reality you are just downloading and installing the whole fucking thing over again. Utter. Fucking. Stupidity.

Games download from overly secure connections: Even the worst internet connection in the world doesnt take 2 whole days to download 2-4 gigs of data. Thats how long it took me to install my game.

This is why PC gaming is dying, or at the very least vastly reduced.

Locked Post 120 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 1, 2012 10:47:52 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting MottiKhan,
 I'm really looking forward to Stardock's new SD Central. 

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,

Never heard of it.

Those of us who were here before Impulse came around were using SD Central.  It was a streamlined download/updater agent.  It had the capability of archiving your games before you updated them in case the update caused some problems such as those we've seen recently.  Impulse replaced it and had essentially the same features, but was viewed as more intrusive by some.  Now, with Impulse sold off, Stardock is working on an improved SD Central that also has a web based option.

http://forums.galciv2.com/413462 

Pretty cool stuff.

February 1, 2012 11:08:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
@Zubaz wrote: " [Also, 87.35% of all statistics on the internet are made up.] " You posted this on the internet! JK, the thread needed a little comic relief....
February 1, 2012 5:39:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting MottiKhan,
Quoting MottiKhan, reply 55 I'm really looking forward to Stardock's new SD Central. 

Quoting JCD-Bionicman, reply 57
Never heard of it.

Those of us who were here before Impulse came around were using SD Central . . . (detailed explanation)

You're wasting your time.  His tone seems to be that since he never heard of it, it's of no importance.

February 1, 2012 5:45:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Donfield,

You're wasting your time.  His tone seems to be that since he never heard of it, it's of no importance.

+1k  

LOL - He might be my new hero then.  Sheldon Jr.    

February 1, 2012 9:02:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

February 1, 2012 9:06:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

February 1, 2012 9:16:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting JCD-Bionicman, reply 72Clarify the reasoning behind your accusations please.

You claim it is a scam in that you seem to think it a fair assumption that if the steam game is offered through Gamestop/Impulse it won't need Steam in order to run.....That somehow the prerequisite for a Steam activated game no longer applies.

Umm... no thats not what I said and I wont repeat myself either.

That is not a scam.  That is mis-comprehension.

Again, baseless claim with no real argument.

And no, this isnt trolling; Im simply invalidating everything you say, and I dont have any idea why your making it so easy for me really.

February 1, 2012 9:19:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

February 1, 2012 10:00:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
And no, this isnt trolling; Im simply invalidating everything you say, and I dont have any idea why your making it so easy for me really.

Enough.

February 1, 2012 10:42:45 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
. . .Im simply invalidating everything you say, and I dont have any idea why your making it so easy for me really.

As Inigo Montoya once said, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

You are rejecting every argument being presented to you, even though the majority are based on established laws and facts.  You refuse to accept anything that does not agree with your preconceived assumptions.  You are repeatedly denying any possible basis for objective truth because it does not agree with your preconceptions.

This is not invalidation, it is nihilism.

You state in the original post that you read the product advertising, the box art text, the fine print, and understood that Steam was required.  You don't have to like it, but you understood it.  If you understood all that was presented to you, then there was no scam or deception.  But this doesn't agree with how you think the world should work, so you will continue to reject the true nature of things.

February 1, 2012 11:08:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Donfield,
As Inigo Montoya once said, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

You are rejecting every argument being presented to you, even though the majority are based on established laws and facts. You refuse to accept anything that does not agree with your preconceived assumptions. You are repeatedly denying any possible basis for objective truth because it does not agree with your preconceptions.

You state in the original post that you read the product advertising, the box art text, the fine print, and understood that Steam was required. You don't have to like it, but you understood it. If you understood all that was presented to you, then there was no scam or deception. But this doesn't agree with how you think the world should work, so you will continue to reject the true nature of things.

Clarify.
..... .....

February 1, 2012 11:12:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Donfield,

Perhaps you meant Denialism which kinda sounds the same but is very different.

February 1, 2012 11:41:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

PC Gaming dieing?.... I don't think so, certain devs making choices like cutting corners, (or not so smart choices) which can hurt gaming (no where near killing it though) I can agree to that.

Does Steam work, ya but sometimes it can be a bitch, or herpa derp (download stops at 1mb remaining and just waits....) but it does the job and now I can do texting on my phone now! (EF you phone companies for 20$ month texting!)

Remember, Objective and subjective, be careful!

Wizard- Wait I have to restart my computer... fine!

February 1, 2012 11:53:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Fistalis,

I was consulting a reference at the time, though your suggestion could be closer in this case.

February 2, 2012 12:06:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Donfield,
You state in the original post that you read the product advertising, the box art text, the fine print, and understood that Steam was required. You don't have to like it, but you understood it. If you understood all that was presented to you, then there was no scam or deception. But this doesn't agree with how you think the world should work, so you will continue to reject the true nature of things.

That is the exact point of the past 4 pages of 'argument' and 'counter-argument'.

Had me mindful of a Python sketch....

"This isn't an argument it's a contradiction..."

"No, it isn't..."

February 2, 2012 12:08:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Donfield,

Near enough... Spell checker ...

February 2, 2012 12:16:17 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Quoting Donfield, reply 85This is not invalidation, it is nihilism.

Near enough... ...

I chose nihilism because my older sister accused me of it myself, when I was 19.  Back in those hippie days.

February 2, 2012 12:22:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Donfield,

I preferred...

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." ...

February 2, 2012 12:25:22 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Quoting Donfield, reply 85As Inigo Montoya once said, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I preferred...

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." ...

Well, I actually like that one better too, though I didn't have the authority you have to pull it off.

February 2, 2012 12:26:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Donfield,

Quoting Fistalis, reply 87 

I was consulting a reference at the time, though your suggestion could be closer in this case.

nihilism suggests that his refusal to accept the facts and arguments are based in a deeper seeded philosophy involving the value of or the existence of a subject. If he were to say that truth is non existent and the values which assign truth are baseless therefor all arguments are invalid that would be nihilism. However he's stating that only his truths exist.. while others do not so are therefore invalid. Since its apparent he believes his truths exist, and his basis for determining truth is valid it isn't nihilism in any form.

Now thats of course assuming you were not referring to existential nihilism . which would make it even more wrong.

Quoting Donfield,

Quoting Jafo, reply 91Quoting Donfield, reply 85This is not invalidation, it is nihilism.

Near enough... ...

I chose nihilism because my older sister accused me of it myself, when I was 19.  Back in those hippie days.

I'm still nihilistic.. and proud of it. Which is probably why I felt the need to point out the difference between my personal philosophies and his silly comments.

My little sister called me nihilistic when she was in college.. and I was like ya so. Although it was more a comment on my views of existence.(aka existential nihilism)

February 2, 2012 12:35:32 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

He reminds me of a brother-in-law I had, who always insisted the only opinion that mattered was his own.  But we probably all have one like that.

The only philosophy course I took was Logic, so I'm better at recognizing fallacious arguments than terminology.

February 2, 2012 12:45:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Donfield,
He reminds me of a brother-in-law I had, who always insisted the only opinion that mattered was his own.  But we probably all have one like that.

The only philosophy course I took was Logic, so I'm better at recognizing fallacious arguments than terminology.

Its all good we did a good job of derailing the thread.. No brother in law here.. sister ain't married.. and her boyfriend isn't allowed to have opinions from what I see. But I get what your saying.

"No more rhymes I mean it"

February 2, 2012 1:11:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Donfield,

Architecture....1972 ...and there was me...doing Sociology, Psychology and Philosophy .... oh... and a bit of drawing too [fortunately....all those 'ologies' got on my nerves]...

February 2, 2012 1:19:00 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Its all good we did a good job of derailing the thread

Don't count on it yet, you may well be asked to clarify your post!

February 2, 2012 1:26:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Neilo,

Quoting Jafo, reply 98 Its all good we did a good job of derailing the thread
Don't count on it yet, you may well be asked to clarify your post!

I see what you did there...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000454   Page Render Time: