The Impulse/Steam scam: Gamestop is selling Steam client required software on Impulse

By on January 25, 2012 10:09:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

JCD-Bionicman

Join Date 08/2008
+1

It seems like everybody is using "WinCustomize talk" for general discussion. I cant actually find a general discussion catagory.

So heres the latest for steam exclusive games being advertised on Impulse:

"Half-Life, Portal and More! Valve Games Are Now Available on GameStop PC Downloads!"

When I first saw this I thought "wow thats pretty cool". In the fine print however, it says the steam client is required, and thats at the bottom only after clicking on the "read more" and in small letterings.

This trickery is done, ON PURPOSE by Gamestop no doubt having some sort of agreement with Steam. Steam sees the threat impulse poses. Impulse, while not very widely known, has a very superior DRM scheme to Steam.

Its very easy to miss that *steam required* fine print when your purchasing an "impulse" game. Even on retail copies, the part on the back of the game where it says the said fine print is designed to be overlooked.

So, why is Steam so bad? If you have an excellent internet connection then you wont have any problems with it, but people like me who have the lowest end connections speeds absolutely abhor it and even still people with decent connection speeds find it annoying.

Heres the stupidity of Steam:

The DRM is designed to prevent "unparalleled anti-piracy, making it a very popular retailer for software publishers and developers", yet every game on Steam has been pirated or will be pirated in the future. This raises questions as to how necessary Steam's intrusive DRM scheme is.

Mandatory updates: I have no idea why updates are mandatory when you have to be securely connected to Steam in order to play in the first place. Whoever in the company decided that this requirement was a good idea to implement was high or something, because anyone with half a brain can clearly see its not going to prevent pirating.

Games install more than once: I dont get this either. You buy a retail copy of the game, "install it from the disk" and then you are required to "update" when in reality you are just downloading and installing the whole fucking thing over again. Utter. Fucking. Stupidity.

Games download from overly secure connections: Even the worst internet connection in the world doesnt take 2 whole days to download 2-4 gigs of data. Thats how long it took me to install my game.

This is why PC gaming is dying, or at the very least vastly reduced.

Locked Post 120 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 26, 2012 1:33:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's not a secret to play Steam games you will need Steam.  This has been happening for years and nothing has really changed except that GameStop decided to include Steam games.

This is why PC gaming is dying, or at the very least vastly reduced.

Meh, been hearing that for years and PC gaming is still going strong.  

January 26, 2012 2:33:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

January 26, 2012 2:52:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
It's not a secret to play Steam games you will need Steam.  This has been happening for years and nothing has really changed except that GameStop decided to include Steam games.

So... you ignore everything I say and state the obvious...

Quoting Island Dog,

Question: Is the PC market smaller (proportionally) than it was before the release of the following systems; gamecube, xbox, and playstation 2. I believe the question is more rhetorical than not. Prove me wrong.

January 26, 2012 3:01:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry . . I missed the point you were trying to make.

Steam is bad?

Gamestop is bad?

This is bad for PC gaming because of . . something?

Steam, by making games more easily available, is killing PC gaming?

Because it takes you a long time to download a game  . . something?

January 26, 2012 4:18:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Double post

January 26, 2012 4:23:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Whether the market is small or not really doesn't mean anything, and certainly doesn't mean the end of PC gaming.

What was the point of this thread again?

January 26, 2012 4:32:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Steam is bad?

Gamestop is bad?

Ive explained why Steam is bad.

Ive explained that Gamestop is tricking Impulse users like me who use only Impulse into buying Steam games.

The PC market is unattractive next to the console because the console is cheap, and its simple plug and play. Combined with the fact that about 90% of games are on Steam, a viciously retarded DRM setup that hates freedom, and you have an even less attractive PC market and therefore a small and somewhat dead one at that. The proof: Console gamers are in the millions and PC gamers are in the thousands.

I really shouldnt even have replied, because the comment is really just a troll, which is funny since its coming from forum staff.

Quoting Island Dog,
Whether the market is small or not really doesn't mean anything, and certainly doesn't mean the end of PC gaming.

What was the point of this thread again?

To raise awareness of this ridiculous scam. My brother recently purchased a steam game on accident because of it even though he thought he looked closely at the product description to make sure it wasnt a Steam game.

And regarding the PC market, see the previous comment.

January 26, 2012 4:35:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Double post

January 26, 2012 4:43:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There is no scam.

Your brother didn't know what he was buying.

You are spewing opinions, not facts.  

There's nothing to debate about.

January 26, 2012 4:53:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
There is no scam.

Your brother didn't know what he was buying.

You are spewing opinions, not facts.  

There's nothing to debate about.

Mmm... no.

"Half-Life, Portal and More! Valve Games Are Now Available on GameStop PC Downloads!"

This is obviously an effort to trick impulse buyers. This is not an opinion. The implication is "valve games are now available [as] Gamestop PC downloads" even though its "on". Anyone with two brain cells rub together can clearly see this is an effort to deceive.

So... your trying to say that, Gamestop's promotion of Steam required games on Impulse is in no way trying to trick Impulse buyers into buying something they thought was an Impulse game. This is a ridiculous claim.

January 26, 2012 5:08:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There is no such thing as "an Impulse game".  

Impulse (now Gamestop) is a storefront.  Just as a person might go into a brick and mortar store and buy a game from any number of publishers or developers there may be some requirement on the box describing things like download mechanisms or what-not.

*I* expect that some people will not pay attention and be surprised that Steam is required.  I expect that some people would know valve and expect Steam.  Soem people won't care either way and some (like you) will.

But you know what?  I don't care.

Some people will be unhappy or happy no matter what anyone does or doesn't do.  It's cool.  It's all good.

To post that it's a scam . . well, up to a point, that's OK too.

January 26, 2012 5:35:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
There is no such thing as "an Impulse game".  

Impulse (now Gamestop) is a storefront.  Just as a person might go into a brick and mortar store and buy a game from any number of publishers or developers there may be some requirement on the box describing things like download mechanisms or what-not.

Theres a HUGE difference between DRM clients and stores. When you buy a game, you have to deal with that "storefront" each time you play the game if the DRM client insists it so, unlike Impulse.

*I* expect that some people will not pay attention and be surprised that Steam is required.  I expect that some people would know valve and expect Steam.  Soem people won't care either way and some (like you) will.

When someone uses the Impulse client, whether they are new or old, and they see the listed advertisement, at least 90% of them are going to think that advertisement exists because its being sold by the Impulse client. I mean what reason would GameStop have to direct people to another client? It means less money for them right? Its like owning a store and saying "hey I dont sell this so go to that store and buy it". But the thing is, GameStop has some dirty deal with the devil. They bought out Impulse because they want to weaken it. This is just another example of corporate monopolization. Sooner or later Impulse will be brought down completely, be it a decade give or take. Youll notice this "theory" of mine holds water perfectly.

January 26, 2012 5:43:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
Theres a HUGE difference between DRM clients and stores.
Maybe not so much anymore.  

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
When someone uses the Impulse client, whether they are new or old, and they see the listed advertisement, at least 90% of them are going to think that advertisement exists because its being sold by the Impulse clien
You think this.  It doesn't mean everyone (or anyone else) does.  [Also, 87.35% of all statistics on the internet are made up.]

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
But the thing is, GameStop has some dirty deal with the devil.
Assumption.

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
They bought out Impulse because they want to weaken it.
Assumption again.

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
They bought out Impulse because they want to weaken it.
And again.
Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
This is just another example of corporate monopolization.
Opinion again.

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
Sooner or later Impulse will be brought down completely, be it a decade give or take.
Fortune telling.

January 26, 2012 6:18:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Okay... this "its un umpinanzz dufaz" bullshit really kills me.

When someone holds a bloody knife and is standing over a bloody corpse and you witness this but not the murder itself, you can still ascertain the person has caused the deceased person's death. Anyone who says "its an opinion" is an ignoramus.

That comment about statistics was ignorant as well. Essentially your saying 90% of PC games ARENT sold on Steam?

Youve brought no reasoning as to why I could even be partially false.

Explain how buying something from a store is the same EXACT thing as a DRM client or even the same kind of concept.

Explain how GameStop's buying of Impulse (big company buying out small company) isnt an example of corporate monopolization.

If GameStop's selling of its own competition to Steam isnt an example of a dirty deal with steam (bringing down a business to eliminate competition) then what the FUCK is it? What OTHER FUCKING MOTIVE would they have for promoting the competition?

January 26, 2012 7:17:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Go here:http://www.impulsedriven.com/news/154/HalfLife_Portal_and_More_Valve_Games_Are_Now_Available_on_GameStop_PC_Downloads

Scroll to the bottom:

Read:All Valve titles require the Steam Client to install and play.

A lack of literacy on your part does not constitute a scam on their part.

Clicking on the Portal 2 link gives this information....in plain sight:

Genre:Games / Adventure / Action

Developer:Valve
Release Date: 1/24/2012
Players: 1+
Version: 1.00
Download Size: 9.16 GB
Protection: Steamworks
Language: English*,

Those sneaky bastards, hiding things right out in the open! How devious can you get?

January 26, 2012 7:26:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sheesh JCD get over yourself already.  All you are doing is ranting and pointing your fi(n)gure at everybody but yourself. Go figure.  Can't see the forest for the fixation on the irrelevant.

January 26, 2012 7:32:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
*snip*

So you havent read everything ive written... ok good. One more point for me.

I like how all the people who are attacking me are the Steam lovers. Hello BDBF. A sensible moderator undid the suspension you gave me not an hour after FYI. Yes, this is shooter. Yet again BDBF, Ill have to correct your spelling. Finger: F-I-N-G-E-R. Another point.

EDIT: Its still not spelled right.

Yeah thats right little children. Call me a "ranter" and be done with it. Ragequit, Trollquit, etcquit; the less retards on this topic the better.

January 26, 2012 7:40:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just an FYI, you're wrong about not being able to play steam games unless you're online. But then I doubt that'll go through the red-tinged rage.

Also, Steam by itself has, in the eyes of the publishers (who are unfortunately who matter in this respect) atleast, singlehandedly saved PC gaming in recent years.

So really, it's a rare treat to see someone be as completely and utterly wrong on every single point as you are JCD.

January 26, 2012 7:41:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
Quoting Wizard1956, reply 15*snip*

I read everything. However, your point is invalid, so I made a point of my own:

Which was calling this statement out for the BS that it was.

When I first saw this I thought "wow thats pretty cool". In the fine print however, it says the steam client is required, and thats at the bottom only after clicking on the "read more" and in small letterings.

January 26, 2012 7:43:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

oooohhhhhh woddie woo wooo. can u correct that for me too? 

You are such a whiner!

January 26, 2012 7:43:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting JCD-Bionicman, reply 17Quoting Wizard1956, reply 15*snip*

I read everything. However, your point is invalid, so I made a point of my own:

Which was calling this statement out for the BS that it was.

So... you told me something you clearly knew that I already knew?

January 26, 2012 7:46:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DatonKallandor,
Just an FYI, you're wrong about not being able to play steam games unless you're online. But then I doubt that'll go through the red-tinged rage.

Yes I know all about "offline mode". It doesnt change the stupidity of the client.

Also, Steam by itself has, in the eyes of the publishers (who are unfortunately who matter in this respect) atleast, singlehandedly saved PC gaming in recent years.

Thats why PC gamers are in the thousands right?

So really, it's a rare treat to see someone be as completely and utterly wrong on every single point as you are JCD.

Actual argument needed.

January 26, 2012 7:50:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've got a new policy in regards to this post:  

I was wrong to take it this far.

January 26, 2012 7:54:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
I've got a new policy in regards to this post:  

Reduced 75%Original 790 x 492

I was wrong to take it this far.

Quoting Zubaz,

Steam is bad?

Gamestop is bad?

Your the troll here as you can clearly see ^. Ive provided nothing but solid logic. Im defending myself and my thread.

You see, trollcall doesnt work that way. You cant just call someone a troll because you cant win an argument with someone who has clearly revealed the loopholes in your words.

I havent gone out of my way to insult others just for insulting's sake. Ive not put everything in caps. Ive structured my grammar and ideas in an organized fashion. I am not a troll, you simply do not like hearing opposing logic. Like a child, you cant handle the shock of being wrong, so you deny it and come up with whatever you can.

January 28, 2012 5:00:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
When someone holds a bloody knife and is standing over a bloody corpse and you witness this but not the murder itself, you can still ascertain the person has caused the deceased person's death. Anyone who says "its an opinion" is an ignoramus.

It is an opinion and I'm not an 'ignoramus'.  Here's why.  Assuming this happened on the street somewhere (hell it could be in a house or an office, I'm just choosing street), you did not witness the actual murder take place, therefor, you cannot accuse this person of being the murderer.  Anything you say is strictly an opinion of what you think happened.

Yes this person is holding the knife, and the person they are standing over is bloodied and dead, but this is where a trained investigator trumps your statements.

First is the fact that there is no blood all over the person holding the knife.  With the amount of blood everywhere, there will be blood on the attacker.  This person cannot be the attacker based on basic crime scene science.

Second, let's just assume you mistakenly neglected to mention the person holding the bloody knife is also bloody.  Let's review the footage from a closed circuit security camera on a nearby building that catches this murder.  The victim is approached by the murderer and stabbed repeatedly, ultimately collapsing.  Bystander runs over and proceeds to make a citizens arrest on the murderer or at least scare the murderer off so they can help the victim, they scuffle, blood is smeared everywhere on both people, the bystander manages to take the knife away and the murderer punches the bystander dazing that person and flees the scene.  You appear from around the corner and see the bloody bystander standing over the victim, holding the bloody knife.  You've now accused a Good Samaritan of being the murderer and proceed to testify that even though you didn't see a damned thing, you can confidently assume this person is the perpetrator of the crime.

Third, let's just assume you mistakenly neglected to mention the person standing over the body is covered in blood, and let's just assume that security footage does indeed show this person as being the one who stabbed the victim repeatedly, and thus murdered the victim.  Your statements do not in any way shape or form lend any assistance to the conviction of this person holding the knife.  It is hearsay as you did not witness anything.  It is the security footage that witnesses the actual murder that makes the conviction.  You may have the satisfaction in knowing you were right and fingered the correct person, but this is only because you got lucky and real evidence proved your statements to be correct.

Basically, what I'm saying here is to relax and understand that your logic has its flaws.  You might feel that you're right that gamestop and steam are involved in some sort of scam, but as others have proven, the information is presented in a clear and unhidden fashion.  Failure to read, or failure to understand what is being read is not the fault of the seller.  Making a blind assumption that just because something that is well known to come with steam is made available on a different DD service such as impulse, that it will not contain steam is again, not the fault of the seller.  These are the pointed out flaws in your logic.

Quoting JCD-Bionicman,
Ive provided nothing but solid logic.

It might be solid to you, but to everyone else, it is flawed.

Personally, I don't buy anything from steam because I dislike having their stuff on my PC as I too see it as being overly aggressive and treats legit customers as thieves, while the real thieves completely bypass it within minutes to a couple of hours after its release.  I don't have any personal issues against gamestop, but I'm not buying anything over Impulse either since I know there is the possibility of a title requiring steam.  I would still much prefer to buy from the physical store so I can have a physical copy of my game, and in the event such a thing doesn't exist, for example Sins Entrenchment and Sins Diplomacy are digital downloads only, I will only buy them from the digital store that the company that made the title says to buy it from.  If there are multiple choices, I will go with the one I dislike the least.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time: