Spell/Skill/Item bar in tactical combat

By on January 23, 2012 4:32:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wintersong

Join Date 07/2006
+235

I haven't tried it yet but making a custom Sovereing, I could pick all the Elements and leveling, end getting lots of spells and such. As I haven't tried yet, I don't know what happens with the Spells/Skill/Item bar when it becomes so long in 1280x1024. Maybe something like this:

In any case, I somehow would like the option of grouping the Spells/Skills by type (and subordered by level in the case of spells):

Leaving the bottom bar for items and basic skills, while the upper ones (created as needed) are one for each element (an Icon with the Element to the left of each row would be good visual feedback). In the "totally awesome" pic I used as example someone that had the 5 Elements as extreme case.

Locked Post 8 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 23, 2012 8:33:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yep, I'd also like to see them put in hotkeys

Push 1 and you get the first row, then hit a second number to cast a spell, or

They could do something like push 1, first 5 items highlight, push 1-5, cast spell. Push 2, second 5 items highlight, push 1-5, cast spells - would let you use only 1-5 to cast any spell or ability on the long ribbon right now. You could even add a third press confirm, with the second press popping up tooltips, so you know what you're casting.

January 24, 2012 7:52:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Grouping would help tremendously. Right now, it's just a huge, long list that could really benefit from some organization added. Good suggestion, Wintersong!

January 24, 2012 7:17:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I only needed to play more with Irane to find what happens when the bar gets too long:

I imagined that solution would be used but still would prefer other options. If possible.

January 24, 2012 7:33:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Mtrixis,
Yep, I'd also like to see them put in hotkeys

Push 1 and you get the first row, then hit a second number to cast a spell, or

They could do something like push 1, first 5 items highlight, push 1-5, cast spell. Push 2, second 5 items highlight, push 1-5, cast spells - would let you use only 1-5 to cast any spell or ability on the long ribbon right now. You could even add a third press confirm, with the second press popping up tooltips, so you know what you're casting.

Or even just allow me to set a spell to hot key like in an RPG or MMO.  I generally end up using certain spells much more than others, so it would be nice to just fire them off with one button rather than looking for them in a large group.

January 24, 2012 10:00:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about just, like most games, using the same world map spellbook interface in combat at least some abilities, if not only spells?

January 24, 2012 10:12:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Grouping would be the best solution. I also think larger icons are in order. It is hard to recognize each spell without reading the tooltip. 

January 24, 2012 10:50:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Scaling generally in FE would be very helpful. I think the UI is designed to work well on lower resolutions, but it ends up causing problems on higher resolutions.

January 25, 2012 12:34:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yup.  I suggested this earlier, so I'm obviously for it, but kudos for doing the work of editing the screenshot.

I'd also like it if the grouping could be changed.  So you could group by offensive/defensive or spell level.  Set up a little UI widget that when clicked on shows a drop-down list of the grouping options.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: