[Update] Brad's Friday Night Slipstream (1-21-12)

By on January 21, 2012 12:30:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

On occasion, for those who are feeling daring, I'll be releasing a build off my own machine with some tweaks and changes that haven't been checked into the main project.

Here's this week's EXE update (unzip into to your fallen enchantress directory)

http://draginol.stardock.net/fe-012012.zip

Here's what is different versus the public beta:

+ AI better at expansion with regards to pioneers

+ AI handles magic *much* better strategically

+ Several crash fixes. There is one known crash issue that I have not been able to fix that I think relates to external improvements being destroyed. It's infrequent but it's there.

+ Fixed (I hope) the "stuck turn" problem some have reported -- this is a complex issue due to all the threads interacting.

+ Fixed (I hope) the lock up that some people have reported -- this is a deadlock that results from multiple threads locking conflicting game resources

+ Modified the process event manager to make animation a bit smoother late game when there's lots of things happening on screen

+ Performance improvements

+ Fixed -- I think, the bug that caused AI players to sometimes declare war when you hadn't met them.

Make sure you back up your existing .exe just to be safe. It should be fine but you never know.

If you are running this version, put all reports in this thread.

Locked Post 75 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 23, 2012 2:11:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting dragoaskani,
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=41&srcfamilyid=ae2e1a40-7b45-4fe9-a20f-2ed2923aca62&srcdisplaylang=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f8%2fB%2f4%2f8B42259F-5D70-43F4-AC2E-4B208FD8D66A%2fvcredist_x86.EXE

Great! Thanks for this, works perfect now for me as well.

January 23, 2012 2:12:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This works.

Everyone with problems, apply the above solution.

Thanks.

January 23, 2012 2:42:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Figured it was some kind of library fun; the patch fixed it for me as well, Thanks!

January 23, 2012 5:09:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't worry, my slipstreams won't break your save games. You don't have to start over from scratch unless I explicitly state that it needs to.

Personally, if it were my call, I'd not allow loading games within games or starting new games within games, I'd have the player exit out ala BattleField 3. It's just a time sink that could be spent on other things. I am still lobbying for this (yes I know lots of people wouldn't be happy with that but there's a ton of other things that could be worked on that would be much more useful).

The current plan is to let people load games within games and start new games within games so we're trying to do the fairly complex orchestration of shutting down all the threads. I should show you a list from the debugger of just how many threads have to be shut off at just the right time and then restarted to make all that work. It's non-trivial in FE.  But it's all those threads that keep a game as complex as FE from not being a pig between turns late game.

January 23, 2012 5:59:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Couldn't you solve this with just killing the old process with all its threads, and launching a new process. You would need some parameters to the new process so that it would go directly to new game / load game, but that seems fairly simple to implement vs completely clearing all state from hardware and threads.

The user would get the start new game / load game UI. You would not need to spend time on this. The downside is that start new game / load game could be a little slower than the user expects due to the reloading of the game.

January 23, 2012 6:15:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Personally, if it were my call, I'd not allow loading games within games or starting new games within games, I'd have the player exit out ala BattleField 3. It's just a time sink that could be spent on other things. I am still lobbying for this (yes I know lots of people wouldn't be happy with that but there's a ton of other things that could be worked on that would be much more useful).
I don't really understand why you wouldn't do this. Sure, loading and starting new games from within a game is more convenient than closing the game, but it's not that much more convenient, and unless you're save scumming it's not something you're gonna do a lot of anyway.

January 23, 2012 6:23:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cruxador,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 54Personally, if it were my call, I'd not allow loading games within games or starting new games within games, I'd have the player exit out ala BattleField 3. It's just a time sink that could be spent on other things. I am still lobbying for this (yes I know lots of people wouldn't be happy with that but there's a ton of other things that could be worked on that would be much more useful).I don't really understand why you wouldn't do this. Sure, loading and starting new games from within a game is more convenient than closing the game, but it's not that much more convenient, and unless you're save scumming it's not something you're gonna do a lot of anyway.

I second that, I'd rather see time spent on other stuff than loading a game from within the game. I can do without this loading - I however have some bugs that need fixing

January 24, 2012 7:17:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it possible to restart the game automatically behind the scenes or something like that, as a quicker fix?

January 24, 2012 2:05:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Personally, if it were my call, I'd not allow loading games within games or starting new games within games, I'd have the player exit out ala BattleField 3.

OK, but only if the game starts & exits quickly enough.  Currently the game takes far too long to actually close after I tell it to exit -- haven't clocked it, but at least 5 minutes after it goes off the screen until the process disappears from task manager, and during that time it won't let me start it again.  

I see a line in the 0.76 changelog that looks like a fix for this.  Sure hope so. 

January 24, 2012 2:57:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If I look at the opportunity cost of being able to load a game instantly or instead getting the other aspects finished sooner and better, it is a no brainer for me. There are so many things to done, I would even put loading functionality behind boats. 

January 24, 2012 6:08:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will say this brad. I was very skeptical if you guys could turn this around after the debacle that wom was. But so far I am actually having alot of fun with this slipstream build of yours. Believe it or not I haven't logged into the Star Wars The Old Republic the last couple days hardly at all. Basically just long enough to do my daily pvp then back to playing this.

January 24, 2012 6:27:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting dragoaskani,
I will say this brad. I was very skeptical if you guys could turn this around after the debacle that wom was. But so far I am actually having alot of fun with this slipstream build of yours. Believe it or not I haven't logged into the Star Wars The Old Republic the last couple days hardly at all. Basically just long enough to do my daily pvp then back to playing this.

If you're a Sith on Kaas City then I say this: Shame. On. You. The Sith must conquer all.

Now, if you're NOT on the Kaas City server, then I do plan to keep releasing slip streams pretty regularly.

Thanks for the kind words.

January 24, 2012 7:43:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting dragoaskani, reply 61I will say this brad. I was very skeptical if you guys could turn this around after the debacle that wom was. But so far I am actually having alot of fun with this slipstream build of yours. Believe it or not I haven't logged into the Star Wars The Old Republic the last couple days hardly at all. Basically just long enough to do my daily pvp then back to playing this.

If you're a Sith on Kaas City then I say this: Shame. On. You. The Sith must conquer all.

Now, if you're NOT on the Kaas City server, then I do plan to keep releasing slip streams pretty regularly.

Thanks for the kind words.

Nope I am a Sith Juggernaut on Jung Ma cause my friends wanted an rp-pvp server.

January 25, 2012 1:13:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just installed the beta today and skipped ahead and put this new build into the FE directory. I try and run the game and get "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Yay.

January 25, 2012 2:17:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,
I just installed the beta today and skipped ahead and put this new build into the FE directory. I try and run the game and get "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Yay.

I already showed everyone how to fix it in this thread. Go back a page, download the version of c++ 2005 you need and then install. Now you can play.

January 25, 2012 3:06:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting dragoaskani,

I already showed everyone how to fix it in this thread. Go back a page, download the version of c++ 2005 you need and then install. Now you can play.

No! I think I'll pout some more instead.

January 25, 2012 4:31:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,

Quoting dragoaskani, reply 65

No! I think I'll pout some more instead.

>.<

January 25, 2012 11:48:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why wouldnt u want this ? 

January 26, 2012 12:16:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting dopeydave,
Why wouldnt u want this ? 

Are you directing that question towards me? If so, I recommend taking your sarcasm detector in for an inspection. I suspect a wire may be loose.

January 26, 2012 12:03:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy,

Is it too ugly of a kludge to simply have the game quit and then relaunch in order to either load a game or start a new game within the game? Maybe a "load or start a new game" button that simply quits the game out entirely, and then relaunches it?

Am I being naive? I agree with your view that neither of these functions is necessary, so why not implement it in a minimal way, and then move forward?

Quoting Frogboy,
Don't worry, my slipstreams won't break your save games. You don't have to start over from scratch unless I explicitly state that it needs to.

The current plan is to let people load games within games and start new games within games so we're trying to do the fairly complex orchestration of shutting down all the threads. I should show you a list from the debugger of just how many threads have to be shut off at just the right time and then restarted to make all that work. It's non-trivial in FE.  But it's all those threads that keep a game as complex as FE from not being a pig between turns late game.

January 26, 2012 1:02:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[bug] Something I have noticed playing this version is that, on the cloth map, the mountains seem to disappear. This is cosmetic only and is solved by a save-and-reload but as I like playing in cloth map mode, it is difficult to tell where the mountains stop and start. 

January 26, 2012 10:35:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, I agree with nuking the ability to load a game within a game. Why not just eliminate it as a low-priority pain in the arse variable so you can focus on other things.

January 26, 2012 10:43:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If it works, I think it would be great if selecting "Load Game" or "New Game" when you have already loaded or started a game quits the game and automatically restarts with it.  If not possible of course then remove those options after the first game is loaded/started, but if it is at all possible I'd prefer the automatic quit and restart!

January 27, 2012 11:40:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Should probably remove the link from this until a new build is posted, to avoid the possibility of new confused testers screwing their install of .76

January 27, 2012 11:57:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,

Quoting dopeydave, reply 68Why wouldnt u want this ? 

Are you directing that question towards me? If so, I recommend taking your sarcasm detector in for an inspection. I suspect a wire may be loose.

no it was a in general thing not directed towrds anyone.

i think .77 is out now, yah a version compatability note in main would be great, i just downloaed the new fe beta, not sure if not to use this or if it doesnt matter 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: