[Update] Brad's Friday Night Slipstream (1-21-12)

By on January 21, 2012 12:30:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

On occasion, for those who are feeling daring, I'll be releasing a build off my own machine with some tweaks and changes that haven't been checked into the main project.

Here's this week's EXE update (unzip into to your fallen enchantress directory)

http://draginol.stardock.net/fe-012012.zip

Here's what is different versus the public beta:

+ AI better at expansion with regards to pioneers

+ AI handles magic *much* better strategically

+ Several crash fixes. There is one known crash issue that I have not been able to fix that I think relates to external improvements being destroyed. It's infrequent but it's there.

+ Fixed (I hope) the "stuck turn" problem some have reported -- this is a complex issue due to all the threads interacting.

+ Fixed (I hope) the lock up that some people have reported -- this is a deadlock that results from multiple threads locking conflicting game resources

+ Modified the process event manager to make animation a bit smoother late game when there's lots of things happening on screen

+ Performance improvements

+ Fixed -- I think, the bug that caused AI players to sometimes declare war when you hadn't met them.

Make sure you back up your existing .exe just to be safe. It should be fine but you never know.

If you are running this version, put all reports in this thread.

Locked Post 75 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 22, 2012 3:56:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For me the latest .exe has been a lot more stable.

However, there is one annoying bug (don't know if it is also in the official binary): when casting blizzard (possibly other enemy-targetting spells too?) the game begins to complain that "must target enemy units" when I try to target enemy units. The only way forward is to auto-resolve the battle.

January 22, 2012 4:27:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I installed the FE Beta on my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro, but when I try to run the slipstream, I get an error saying:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

The standard beta exe works fine, but I really wanted to try out the slipstream one in x64...

Frogboy, is this possible?

January 22, 2012 4:30:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Horemheb,
For me the latest .exe has been a lot more stable.

However, there is one annoying bug (don't know if it is also in the official binary): when casting blizzard (possibly other enemy-targetting spells too?) the game begins to complain that "must target enemy units" when I try to target enemy units. The only way forward is to auto-resolve the battle.

I had the same problem, although it's not really a bug as much as a confusing game mechanic. The problem is that no friendlies can be within the blast raidius, so you need to aim a few tiles behind the enemeis to get your friendlies out of range. It's confusing because it only highlights the tiles you're targeting when you pick a tile you're allowed to fire on. It should show the AOE target-tiles not matter which tile you select, but outline it in red if there are friendlies in the way so that it's more obvious what's going on.

January 22, 2012 4:56:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Unfortunately, the standard beta exe hanged in an early turn of a new game, so I am a bit stuck now.

Btw: where on earth are the save games kept?  I can't find them on the C drive or the installation drive, even under "Saves" in the FE directory in the C Drive Users tree.  Help would be much appreciated.

January 22, 2012 5:02:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
I installed the FE Beta on my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro, but when I try to run the slipstream, I get an error saying:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

The standard beta exe works fine, but I really wanted to try out the slipstream one in x64...

I have two laptops, had this issue on one laptop not the other, they both run 64-but Windows 7 Pro.

January 22, 2012 5:03:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,

I have two laptops, had this issue on one laptop not the other, they both run 64-but Windows 7 Pro.

January 22, 2012 5:18:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks, that was it. Definitely need for UI improvement with regard to the blizzard spell.

January 22, 2012 5:59:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I want to show you guys a video of me debugging so you can see why these crash logs you send are so important.

http://screencast.com/t/HLvzyPAAivn

@Frogboy I see that the file contains a stack trace, can you also add variable watches and other stuff to keep track of what's going on in a player's game? Did you create this system for saving these crash files or is there an openly available library that does it? Also, why ya still using VS2008?

January 22, 2012 11:34:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
Unfortunately, the standard beta exe hanged in an early turn of a new game, so I am a bit stuck now.

Btw: where on earth are the save games kept?  I can't find them on the C drive or the installation drive, even under "Saves" in the FE directory in the C Drive Users tree.  Help would be much appreciated.

Assuming Win7 uses the same format as Vista: There is a folder in your personal directory (default is C drive) in Documents called "My Games".  Lots of games use this.  Just open the folder for FallenEnchantress and you'll see another folder "saves".

BTW - This is a great place to look if you need space on your hard drive.  You can delete old saves in games you don't use anymore & free up space.  If you save often you'd be surprised how much file space some games use.

January 22, 2012 11:49:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My Saves folders appear empty.

January 22, 2012 12:59:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Won't start, fails with the following message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\FallenEnchantress\FallenEnchantress.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail

January 22, 2012 1:03:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
My Saves folders appear empty.

Are you inside the FE folder in "My Games"?

January 22, 2012 1:08:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ran this version for about 2 hours last night without any crashes.  Hopefully will get to play somemore today.

January 22, 2012 1:54:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,

C:\Users\Leo Navoichick\Documents\My Games\FallenEnchantress\Saves

Mine are there... on Win7 x64

January 22, 2012 3:39:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I keep getting a "can't login" error when I try the "unofficial" patch.    Even tried to run it with the command line parameters, but no dice.

Oh well, I need to watch some football today anyway.  

EDIT:  Nevermind.  My "pristine" copy isn't working either.  Still...football.  

January 22, 2012 3:57:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting wwwolf123,
Won't start, fails with the following message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\FallenEnchantress\FallenEnchantress.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail

Same problem for me as well.

January 22, 2012 5:28:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Much better than the official build, but... just crashed loading (within the game, which usually works)

crash zip       http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8928343/FallenEnchantress0_75-2012-01-22T14-19-52-812.zip

debug.err      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8928343/debug-load-crash.err

Event viewer says  "Faulting application fallenenchantress.exe, version 0.7.5.0, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5781, fault address 0x00012afb"

XP sp3, 32-bit, on my 2nd clean start with this version, large map, normal difficulty, playing a custom faction against all the built-ins and 1 custom faction.

January 22, 2012 6:08:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Data-execution-prevention error on next-turn

crash zip      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8928343/FallenEnchantress0_75-2012-01-22T15-01-04-718.zip

debug.err     http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8928343/debug-DEP.err

Note: I keep DEP on for all programs, and I haven't exempted FE, so I guess I would normally get more DEPs than most others on 32-bit XP sp3, but I'm also safer.

Any suggestions on whether I should exempt FE from DEP?

January 22, 2012 7:40:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also getting a fail on Win 64 _ Ultimate:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

Any ideas on getting this going?  Would love to keep testing, but trying to focus on AI suggestions...

January 23, 2012 4:18:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[quote who="M. Agrippa" reply="44" id="3062449"]

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."
Any ideas on getting this going?  Would love to keep testing, but trying to focus on AI suggestions... [/quote]

Welcome to DLL versioning hell.

It's because Brad's slipstream update was compiled with different Visual C++ version than "kosher" beta (8.0.50727.6195 in case of slipstream). Downloading and installing another redist for Visual C++ helped. IIRC, I followed the redist download links for VC2005 updates from Microsoft support article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2538218 (working on Linux system atm so can't be sure, I will check later if help still needed).

January 23, 2012 11:37:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This version is a lot more stable for me. When there is a new official version I assume that we go back to old exe and it will autoupdate, or will the frog.exe version also update?

January 23, 2012 11:51:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+ AI handles magic *much* better strategically

Frogboy,

Does this patch note apply to when the player automates the battle as well? Something that has been an annoyance is that every time I auto battle, my sovereign decides to use ALL of my mana in the battle, even if the foe is so greatly outmatched that a single spell or no spells at all would make the most sense.

Is that the sort of fix this is, or are we talking more about the spell selection that they know how to use effectively?

January 23, 2012 12:19:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Traditionally you don't need to replace these modified .exes when there's another patch.

That said, backup due to that nasty Windows 64-bug for some comps

January 23, 2012 1:30:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Karnelian,
slipstream
Quoting Karnelian,
[quote who="M. Agrippa" reply="44" id="3062449"]

Any ideas on getting this going?  Would love to keep testing, but trying to focus on AI suggestions...

Welcome to DLL versioning hell.

It's because Brad's slipstream update was compiled with different Visual C++ version than "kosher" beta (8.0.50727.6195 in case of slipstream). Downloading and installing another redist for Visual C++ helped. IIRC, I followed the redist download links for VC2005 updates from Microsoft support article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2538218 (working on Linux system atm so can't be sure, I will check later if help still needed).[/quote]

So you mean we need an older version of vcredist to get it run?

vcredist is installed with newest release on my Windows 7 and it doesn't work (got the error message above)

January 23, 2012 1:57:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

He gave me enough information to find the fix and get a direct link for anyone with the problem. You need a newer c++ 2005 then is currently on your machine just like I needed probably. Heres a direct link to the version this game needs.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=41&srcfamilyid=ae2e1a40-7b45-4fe9-a20f-2ed2923aca62&srcdisplaylang=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f8%2fB%2f4%2f8B42259F-5D70-43F4-AC2E-4B208FD8D66A%2fvcredist_x86.EXE

Quoting calmon,

So you mean we need an older version of vcredist to get it run?

vcredist is installed with newest release on my Windows 7 and it doesn't work (got the error message above)

You like I probably had the 64 bit version of the item. The game needs the updated 32 bit version.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000860   Page Render Time: