[Update] Brad's Friday Night Slipstream (1-21-12)

By on January 21, 2012 12:30:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

On occasion, for those who are feeling daring, I'll be releasing a build off my own machine with some tweaks and changes that haven't been checked into the main project.

Here's this week's EXE update (unzip into to your fallen enchantress directory)

http://draginol.stardock.net/fe-012012.zip

Here's what is different versus the public beta:

+ AI better at expansion with regards to pioneers

+ AI handles magic *much* better strategically

+ Several crash fixes. There is one known crash issue that I have not been able to fix that I think relates to external improvements being destroyed. It's infrequent but it's there.

+ Fixed (I hope) the "stuck turn" problem some have reported -- this is a complex issue due to all the threads interacting.

+ Fixed (I hope) the lock up that some people have reported -- this is a deadlock that results from multiple threads locking conflicting game resources

+ Modified the process event manager to make animation a bit smoother late game when there's lots of things happening on screen

+ Performance improvements

+ Fixed -- I think, the bug that caused AI players to sometimes declare war when you hadn't met them.

Make sure you back up your existing .exe just to be safe. It should be fine but you never know.

If you are running this version, put all reports in this thread.

Locked Post 75 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 21, 2012 1:17:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stickiedl

January 21, 2012 1:35:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cool. Wish I could take advantage of this.

January 21, 2012 3:20:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Edit:  Sorry this probably  because I was continuing a game from the official 0.75.  Had a much cleaner came starting with the slipstream.

OOM            mem used was 1,365,328

crash zip      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8928343/FallenEnchantress0_75-2012-01-21T00-14-42-46.zip

debug.err    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8928343/OOM%20debug.err

Event viewer  "Faulting application fallenenchantress.exe, version 0.7.5.0, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.6195, fault address 0x0001500a"

January 21, 2012 3:48:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Crashed while processing a turn... might have been OOM, used about 1 GB of memory...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58288883/FallenEnchantress0_75-2012-01-21T03-20-55-926.zip

January 21, 2012 4:13:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice one frogy! Will we need to restart a game to take advantage of your tweaks? Or can we just go with a saved game?

January 21, 2012 7:01:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I created a Fallen Enchantress directory and unzipped this into it.  Didn't work at all... I'm pretty sure because I don't have the beta.  If you'll send me the beta I'll get right on it! 

January 21, 2012 7:30:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So do we start a new game? Should we just make a separate copy of FE and apply these to that?

January 21, 2012 8:52:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks  Frogboy, I have not applied it yet. Just wanted to say that the guys at Mojang have been doing the same thing with Minecraft since it hit 1.0 and it has made the wait for updates much easier to handle. I for one think this a good idea. Need some sleep before I try to play some more FE. Enjoying it so far, it seems like there is always something to do before you start pounding the turn button for the next research bonus to hit.

January 21, 2012 9:53:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I came to this after crashing while processing a turn. Will get right on this  

January 21, 2012 10:06:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tried this for my third game - first two ran about 5-6 hours apiece before I got frustrated with some bad choices I had made and started over. During the first two games, I only had one CTD altogether, and no turn processing problems. With this, I got to turn 7 or so and the turn hung up.

January 21, 2012 11:37:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OOM saving a game.  2nd time now, but never had one in the official 0.75.  Would it help if I start a new campaign instead of continuing the .75 one ?

Edit:  yes, starting clean helps a LOT.

crash zip     http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8928343/FallenEnchantress0_75-2012-01-21T08-26-56-62.zip

debug.err    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8928343/debug-OOM2.err

Quote of the day from event viewer   "Faulting application fallenenchantress.exe, version 0.7.5.0, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.6195, fault address 0x00015068."

January 21, 2012 11:40:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You would need to start a new game after any update. 

Gonna try this out after I am done messing with hero balance. 

January 21, 2012 12:53:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I cannot run this .exe

It immediately stops with an error message about 'wrong application' configuration (the message is in German as my Windows is in German, but there is no more information in it than that)

January 21, 2012 1:34:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I want to show you guys a video of me debugging so you can see why these crash logs you send are so important.

http://screencast.com/t/HLvzyPAAivn

January 21, 2012 1:41:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Questions:

Lord Cobol: 

Your debug.err implies you were loading a saved game within a game? Is this correct? And you're running Windows XP SP3?

January 21, 2012 1:43:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy, what is the technical reason for loading from within the game and new games from within the game causing major instabilities?  Is it to do with not de-allocating memory from all those threads?

January 21, 2012 1:47:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bug fixing on the weekends? I guess it makes sense that a frog would like bugs...

January 21, 2012 1:57:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
Frogboy, what is the technical reason for loading from within the game and new games from within the game causing major instabilities?  Is it to do with not de-allocating memory from all those threads?

There's a whole host of issues that have become problematic, particularly with DirectX 9 games.  Much of it comes down to getting the drivers to really REALLY release their memory, particularly on say Windows XP running a DirectX 9 era video card.  The driver teams at their respective companies are very responsive but obviously, an indie strategy game isn't going to get their bug fixing attention as fast as say EA.

It also doesn't help that there's just a lot of sloppy code in there. We have great developers but it's a very young team. The veterans were on Impulse during WOM.  We've been able to bring on veterans in the past year which has helped but there is still sloppy handling of memory management.

January 21, 2012 3:47:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I want to show you guys a video of me debugging so you can see why these crash logs you send are so important.

http://screencast.com/t/HLvzyPAAivn

Thanks for sharing that!  I know nothing about coding and being a tech priest, so these behind-the-scenes looks are really interesting to me.

January 21, 2012 5:53:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brad made a video with Lord Cobol crash report. Friggin' cool.

January 21, 2012 6:21:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If the game hangs (but doesn't crash) is there something we can do to cause a thread dump so we can send it in?

January 21, 2012 6:27:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yay for fixing the "declare war on you before having met you" bug - that one really bugged me

January 21, 2012 7:39:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cool video, Frogboy.  Very good explanation.

January 21, 2012 9:51:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I keep getting crashes after a certain number of turns.  I haven't counted, but it seems pretty regular.

I have the slipstream .exe going, and this is what Windows reported on crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FallenEnchantress.exe
Application Version: 0.7.5.0
Application Timestamp: 4f1a0e5e
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 52415752
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Is that helpful?

January 22, 2012 1:01:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
g.err implies you were loading a saved game within a game? Is this correct? And you're running Windows XP SP3?

Yes to both.  But I can load game within game pretty well in either 0.75 or the slipstream, except for the game I updated in the middle off, which where my errors came from.  My bad for mixing versions.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time: