WOW! THANK YOU!

By on January 20, 2012 10:30:17 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Derek and I have been passing on the messages and emails and of course various posts on the impressions of Elemental: Fallen Enchantress beta 1. Thank you for the kind comments and encouragement. We really appreciate it. You can imagine how anxious we were about this beta release.

We will be lurking the forums (and third party forums as well -- Si vous savez ce que je veux dire) to gather as much information as possible on everything from bugs, user interface tweaks, game play suggestions, to feature requests and sitting down to determine what to put in there.

We are still some months away from release. There is work to be done but it appears we’re on the right track. There’s still a lot of work ahead for us to do. Lot of cool stuff to get in there and of course lots of bug fixing.

The current plan is to open the beta up a bit more next week.  Eventually, everyone who bought Elemental: War of Magic in 2010 or earlier will be in the beta.

With any luck, by the time we release, Elemental: Fallen Enchantress will be the PC fantasy strategy game that players were looking for.  Stay tuned!

Locked Post 116 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 20, 2012 1:00:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I got my warlord verga so strong that I was able to 1 hit 5 half-health dragons from the final quest in one sweep attack... I believe his attack was around 300, he could cross the tactical map in one turn and he moved twice before any enemy got to move... Does that count?

January 20, 2012 1:12:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice!

January 20, 2012 1:26:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

January 20, 2012 1:27:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Initial impressions from a few hours of playtime last night:

Great job with 1) the game interface, 2) the outposts, 3) the balance of spells, 4) the monster lairs and the loot that you get from them.  I like what you've done.

What needs improvement: 1) pacing too slow (fine for epic-mode, but game would be more enjoyable if city growth, research speed, etc were faster); 2) while many game concepts are wonderfully intuitive, I am unclear about what the food resource is doing and how much I even have - please clarify; 3) the AI is spamming settlements everywhere but has not yet built an outpost (worse, the monsters do not appear to be attacking any of their tiny settlements); 4) [graphic bug] sometimes the status windows disappear on me after a battle is over (which makes it hard to do things like order construction).  On the whole, I am impressed at the stability of the beta v0.75.

January 20, 2012 1:27:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

After WoM I kept my expectations low, but wow! I never imagined you could improve the game so much, and still keep the feeling of Elemental.

It would have been so easy to just redo it all like just another civ-clone, but you really didn't. The graphics are still Elemental, but so very much prettier. And the gameplay is still so very unique, but with a great level of structure and polish. Besides some random crashes it's easy to forget that this game is just a beta.

I really hope hope you all at Stardock feel proud over what you've accomplished.

January 20, 2012 1:35:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,
Could I see this "silly" splash screen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAgEPCltF2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c8fiR5hy9Q

I have some 8-bit Frogboy sprites to make use of when their time comes...  

January 20, 2012 2:11:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I actually liked E:WOM, but there is no comparison between the two games.  I started playing FE yesterday afternoon and only stopped at 12:30 (I think my disease is onemoreturnitis) because I'm too old to pull all-nighters anymore & I couldn't take today off.  I restarted a couple of times because I like to do custom Sov's (Magic users) and the new Magic system takes a little getting used to.

IMHO this game is on the right track and will only get better.

note to self: stop enjoying the game so much & find broken things to report!

January 20, 2012 2:15:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

We will be lurking the forums (and third party forums as well -- Si vous savez ce que je veux dire) to gather as much information as possible on everything from bugs, user interface tweaks, game play suggestions, to feature requests and sitting down to determine what to put in there.

Please don't get bogged down in the third party forums like it seemed you did during WOM beta. Not dissing the importance of collecting feedback from all over, but most of your beta testers are here. During WOM beta lots of forum posters saw  the train wreck coming but it didn't seem like anyone was reading these forums and taking them seriously.

FE is on a good track to fixing what went wrong with WOM, so I am very leery of anything that looks like it getting rerailed as it did before.

January 20, 2012 2:40:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

(and third party forums as well -- Si vous savez ce que je veux dire)

I did not know you spoke french.

As for dynasties, I like having kids but not giving them away to other kingdoms.

As for the 8 bit intro, they could make an new 8 bit intro and have an option in the option menu to enable it or simply skip the intro.

Is it me, or with each new version of elemental, the forum gets darker. What is the next step, black text on black background? Unless you have a darker color than black!?

January 20, 2012 3:14:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know I've bitched a whole lot since WoM Beta 1 to the point of being really irritating, but I hope the positive feedback I gave and will keep giving as FE progresses will make up some of the headache I've given.

You guys at Stardock deserve a big applause for FE. It's already clear that the game is going to be great and successful. Now the only question that remains is HOW great and successful it will be. I really believe that the sky's the limit now; all the right ingredients are in. Maybe perfection won't be achieved until a an expansion or two (or maybe it will), but I believe that at the very minimum the metacritic requirements you've given FE are in sight.

Thank you, Brad, for making me (and I guess a lot of other people) proud that I believed.

January 20, 2012 3:23:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You guys should be thanking yourselves rather than us, we're just reporting about all the hard work you guys put into Fallen Enchantress. Keep up the good work, we'll just keep on enjoying it.

January 20, 2012 3:26:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So much win. You would be smart to have the release open with that and then evolve into a modern cinematic.

January 20, 2012 3:49:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

New 8 Bit intro should be a pixel for pixel remake of MoMs only with Scott's face on the face of the attacking Wizard and Brad's face for the guy in the Wizard Tower. I think I'd pee myself laughing. For those who aren't old enough to remember the MoM intro, here you go .

Just imagine Boogie and the Chief in this...LoL.

January 20, 2012 4:05:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It was a grand launch from this side of things. I don't have the game yet, but was able to watch hours of livestreamed play. Even through proxy, the fun factor was felt. It seems the game has been improved from every angle. Everything from interesting terrain and cool magic effects, to greater diversity of gear and more sensible creature loot, up to faction differentiation and improved character development. And more. After WOM, It is hard to think of this as a beta at times. It's getting harder to wait for beta access everyday! I'm trying to avoid the big spoilers, yet can't help to take a peek at what people are saying. 

Quoting ,
The current plan is to open the beta up a bit more next week.  Eventually, everyone who bought Elemental: War of Magic in 2010 or earlier will be in the beta.
Last week the language was clear.  Everyone who bought WOM in 2010 would have access to FE this coming thursday (01/26/2011).  But this is the second time I've read postings that are vague and imprecise. The phrase "open.. up a bit more", and the word "eventually" have me concerned the most. That doesn't sound like language describing ALL of the 2010 purchasers having beta access in just SIX days. Has something changed?

January 20, 2012 4:10:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BoogieBac,

Quoting vieuxchat, reply 15The only thing I miss is a "silly" splash screen at start  Haha Indeed!

Last Monday Brad came by and we talked about this for a bit (making an 8-bit intro for old time sake), but we decided it'd be better to take a more serious tone this time around...at least at first.

Once FE has proven itself then we can lower our guard in that respect

Great plan, looking forward to something awesome at the screen at some point!

January 20, 2012 4:18:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RavenX,

New 8 Bit intro should be a pixel for pixel remake of MoMs only with Scott's face on the face of the attacking Wizard and Brad's face for the guy in the Wizard Tower. I think I'd pee myself laughing. For those who aren't old enough to remember the MoM intro, here you go .

Just imagine Boogie and the Chief in this...LoL.

That intro still gives me the shivers... I watched it so many times.

"If that is the truth, then your work must stop!"

Note: This does not include Brad, nor any of his sla...co-workers. Keep it up! I cant really test, have too little time, but please, please, please make me the game I wanted ever since MoM. Please?

January 20, 2012 4:21:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting WhiteElk,
It was a grand launch from this side of things. I don't have the game yet, but was able to watch hours of livestreamed play. Even through proxy, the fun factor was felt. It seems the game has been improved from every angle. Everything from interesting terrain and cool magic effects, to more sensible creature loot and greater diversity of gear, to faction differentiation and improved character development. And more. After WOM, It is hard to think of this as a beta at times. It's getting harder to wait for beta access everyday! I'm trying to avoid the big spoilers, yet can't help to take a peek at what people are saying about the game. 

quoting postThe current plan is to open the beta up a bit more next week.  Eventually, everyone who bought Elemental: War of Magic in 2010 or earlier will be in the beta.Last week the language made it clear that everyone who bought WOM in 2010 would have access to FE this coming thursday (01/26/2011).  But this is the second time I've read postings that are vague and imprecise. The phrase "open.. up a bit more", and the word "eventually" have me concerned the most. That doesn't sound like language describing ALL of the 2010 purchasers having beta access in just SIX days. Has something changed?

My guess is the number of folks who purchased the game post-release but in 2010 is way more than the number who pre-ordered the game.  Brad is probably worried about his server load when opening up the beta to that many people at once.  I, too, hope the wait isn't terribly long, but can understand if he needs to stagger the remaining beta releases a bit to avoid a huge meltdown.

January 20, 2012 4:58:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,
My guess is the number of folks who purchased the game post-release but in 2010 is way more than the number who pre-ordered the game.  Brad is probably worried about his server load when opening up the beta to that many people at once.  I, too, hope the wait isn't terribly long, but can understand if he needs to stagger the remaining beta releases a bit to avoid a huge meltdown.
I wonder this as well. I can understand if logistical challenges limit initial beta access. I'd rather not wait. But would happily do so where it is a matter of efficiently awaiting the queue. I'd just like to know. We have lives too. As it stands now, I have already nixed activities on thursday and friday in order to dedicate them to FE. I'd feel a bit put off if come thursday there is no beta invite. I'd look back to Brads vague postings these last two days and think "that bastard knew it wasn't gonna happen but didn't have the balls to come out and say it". LoL I say that with humorous intent. Though that would be the crux of it.

January 20, 2012 5:12:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That does concern me a bit too. It went from beta access one week after to possibly beta access in the following weeks.

I bought my game in mid September 2010, full well knowing that it was a dog. I did it to support Stardock. (I even bought the Collector's Edition.)

The EB Games guy seemed very excited when he saw me looking at E:WOM in the store, I recall. Lol.

It would kind of suck to have to wait a couple of weeks to get access to the beta but c'est la vie.

A bunch of let's plays, live streams or AARs would probably tide me over though.

January 20, 2012 5:35:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BoogieBac,

Quoting Gandhialf, reply 21Could I see this "silly" splash screen?

wow, I want this in FE retail version! (Thanks for links.)

January 20, 2012 5:59:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm enjoying FE!

It's like a totally re-done WoM but better. I must give props on the interface, graphics, and extra items. Tactical combat seems much better as well as character (and city) leveling. I do miss the Dynasty system (will try the "fix" later) and wish we had a few more options for character leveling (enjoying the "rare" and "uncommon" stat increases though; also enjoying the added weapons to select from). I think you guys could do more with character creation but it's till better then WoM and easily mod-able (I'm 98% sure). Only seen a few minor bugs so far too... excellent.

Off to a fantastic start!

January 20, 2012 6:45:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BoogieBac,

Quoting Gandhialf, reply 21Could I see this "silly" splash screen?

That is hillarious!!

January 20, 2012 6:50:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

NO. THANK YOU. For creating an amazing game.

January 20, 2012 7:19:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That MoM intro almost brought a tear to my eye. Amazing how I could recite almost all the words after probably at least 15 years since I last played it.

January 20, 2012 9:34:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with the others.  Very happy with this game.  Get out the bug zapper do a some balance and AI work and this game will not leave my hard drive until we are forced to go to 128bit.  Ah hell, who am i kidding.  I'll just run WindowsBox.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001187   Page Render Time: