Reporting Crashes

By on January 19, 2012 4:02:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Istari

Join Date 05/2001
+20

If you run into a problem, like a game crash there will be a file in your \programdata\stardock\elemental – fallen enchantress direcotry. It’ll be a ZIP file which will contain a debug.err (always helpful) and a crash dump file.  Send that to us at support@stardock.com subject: Fallen Enchantress report.

Also, if you have some sort of issue like even getting the game to start or something, in your \documents\my games\stardock\fallenenchantress directory will be the most recent debug.err. That will tell us all kinds of information about your system that we can use to troubleshoot.

If you don't already have DropBox, I highly recommend it. http://www.dropbox.com. It'll let you put files in a directory on your machine and then you can paste a public URL to just that file.

Pinned Post   |   75 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 19, 2012 4:45:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My game crashed Windows-style (Elemental: FE has stopped working message and forced close).

I couldn't find the zip file anywhere in ...\Documents\My Games\FallenEnchantress

I did find the debug.err file there, though, so I sent it in the Fallen Enchantress report.

January 19, 2012 5:06:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just had my first crash. I've sent the zip file. Should I do this every time I get a crash?

January 19, 2012 5:09:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
My game crashed Windows-style (Elemental: FE has stopped working message and forced close).

I couldn't find the zip file anywhere in ...\Documents\My Games\FallenEnchantress

I did find the debug.err file there, though, so I sent it in the Fallen Enchantress report.

The zip file isn't there. It's in \programdata\stardock\elemental – fallen enchantress.

January 19, 2012 5:11:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Got it, thanks.

January 19, 2012 9:41:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had a similar windows crash to desktop without an error report after trying to collect the reward for the Allies mission in the Refugee camp. I had my Sovereign, a champion, and a standard party of militia at the time of the crash if that helps.

January 19, 2012 11:21:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

where is /programdata/ located?

January 20, 2012 1:03:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StoweMobile,
where is /programdata/ located?

on my system it's in the root directory (c:/programdata/ ) but it is hidden by default

stardockians:  i sent you a couple crash logs, but i also get 'hangs' that don't produce logs, that is the game just stops responding for minutes and windows asks if it can kill it.   over the course of about 3 hours i got 2 crashes and 4 hangs.  yay autosave

January 20, 2012 3:22:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What do we do if it crashes and there's no .zip file?

January 20, 2012 11:29:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just had a crashed upom trying to start a new game after the tutorial. Mailed the zip.

January 20, 2012 1:53:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

stardockians:  i sent you a couple crash logs, but i also get 'hangs' that don't produce logs, that is the game just stops responding for minutes and windows asks if it can kill it.   over the course of about 3 hours i got 2 crashes and 4 hangs.  yay autosave

I've had these too, as well as crashes. I'll start sending in the crash reports.

January 20, 2012 5:54:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

note: if the game freezes, there WILL be a debug.err but it won't be in a .zip file.  I have had this happen when the game entered a hang state (not due to memory)

January 21, 2012 12:01:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have no clue how you guys are getting through 300 turns.  I have get to get to 30 turns without a crash to desktop. 

January 21, 2012 1:31:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, the game certainly looks beautiful and appears to be a lot smoother!  however, i was only able to run it for a while and it crashed..then i couldn't restart it, i got some kind of dialogue about "using command line options /"username" /"password" or something like that, but other than creating a batch file....i suspect the problem lies in the fact that it does not register in the impulse user interface...has anyone else encountered this situation??  Thanks...

Update 1-21-12..I discovered an interesting work around quite by accident.  when that screen comes up, I just hit ESC key and it started right up!

So if any of you are having that problem, hitting the ESC key may start the game...

God bless..

January 21, 2012 8:37:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I changed my username and then had the same problem. I'm on XP and did exactly what the dialogue said. Ran FE from the command line with the two options. Worked perfectly.

January 21, 2012 8:45:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've found that when running in a standard Windows account, you need to do something else - either running from the command line as the last poster said or right-clicking on the FE link and selecting "Run as administrator" and putting in the admin password.

January 21, 2012 12:22:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How do I take screenshots? I'm having some crazy graphical artifacts.

January 21, 2012 5:25:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here's the Syntax i used and it does not seem to work:

FallenEnchantress.exe /"Myusername" /"mypassword"

I used my username, I.E. my E-Mail address...

Password is the same one i use to log into Impulse/Gamestop...

Where did i go wrong, it still won't start!

Thanks

January 22, 2012 12:09:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I didn't use my email address. I used my username from the forum: personnameds. Click on My Account (above) then login and you should find your username there. After you do get Elemental to run. Hit the ctrl+tab and under options... or something like that... you can change the username and password. Once I updated that I no longer had to run Fallen Enchantrass from the command line.

January 22, 2012 11:09:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The only crashes I've seen are

1. One "out of memory" error a long way into a game where I'd done many re-loads. Civ IV used to do this to me under similar circumstances, too, so I forgive you.
  2. A "DX error" every time I unlock the screen after the screensaver has timed out when I've been away from the computer for a while. This may also have happened after going back to Fallen Enchantress after alt-tabbing out. E:WOM had the same problem.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find the \programdata directory despite having "show hidden files and folders" turned on for all folder and despite looking in a few other places like C\Documents and Settings\(my Windows login ID). I run Windows XP, in case that matters.

January 23, 2012 11:50:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks so much...

I have to tell you that I found another work around.

All i had to do was hit the ESC key, and it just blew past that screen and started right up...

Thanks for  the help!

This undoubtedly is some kind of user credential bugaboo...

\

January 26, 2012 9:39:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Silly question, I'm sure, but where do I find a log of crashes?  I've had several "crash to desktop" crashes about midway through a medium game... sometimes just by hitting "end turn".

BTW--LOVING this game! (Except for the crashes!).

January 27, 2012 12:45:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nevermind--got it!

January 29, 2012 12:16:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I got a corrupted save (2 actually) that crash the game every time I try to load them with 100% reproducibility. Do you guys want that?

Also, you guys need an FTP for this. any other method of sending it over is ridiculous. I also have 32 such files already (and each one is 3MB or so)...

Heck just give us a proper crash report tool that, if elemental crashes, automatically prompts us to state what happened and then sends that particular zip over to you with the report and deletes it from our PC.

January 29, 2012 2:06:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting taltamir,

Also, you guys need an FTP for this. any other method of sending it over is ridiculous. I also have 32 such files already (and each one is 3MB or so)...

Heck just give us a proper crash report tool that, if elemental crashes, automatically prompts us to state what happened and then sends that particular zip over to you with the report and deletes it from our PC.

This would be really nice. I happen to have dropbox and am used to it, but I would much prefer a ftp site of some kind, even if you guys imposed quotas on it. At least some form of web-based attachment web-form file attachment of some kind.

January 30, 2012 9:07:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting taltamir,

I support this request. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: