FE price and DRM policy

By on January 17, 2012 10:55:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gandhialf

Join Date 10/2010
+6

So it's $39.95. Is it pre-order price? Will it stay the same after release?

I would also know what will be DRM policy for FE in Stardock Store.

ps I love the new site design.

(edit: I accidentally put this in wrong section: beta instead of general (?). Can anyone fix this?)

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 17, 2012 1:36:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dont quote me on this but $39.95 should be the full retail price. If you purchased their previous game WOM after a certain patch was released and before a certain date, i forget the exact time frame, then you should be getting a discount on that price, and if you purchased WOM before that patch then the new game will be free.

I was one of those that pre-ordered the Collectors Edition back in 2009. So I am looking forward to my free copy of FE

January 17, 2012 1:54:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

DRM will be this (unless Stardock changes policy)

You activate it online on install- and patches require serial verification.  Activation will be manual is done via website, automatic if done with Stardock Central (or Impulse/Steam).

You can activate on any many machines as you wish.

No DRM on launching the game itself.

If you buy a Stardock game via disk (though this is download only)- there is no activation for install.

My opinion on this policy: it's perfectly fair.  If you're buying online, you're online, and an online activation (which takes like 1-2 seconds) is perfectly reasonable.  Patches make sense also, especially since Stardock's patch quality (Stardock patches have traditionally heavily improved their games) is part of how they protect their IP.   DRM is annoying when it's on launch, and Stardock doesn't do that.

One thing I did notice, I clicked to look on the price, and it said I get the game free (since I bought in 2010).  That's good, but there seemed to be no way (I had no intention to, but others might) to buy the game for someone else as of yet.  That might need to be fixed, or that might be a problem that I think someone else will have, but they don't.

January 17, 2012 1:55:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So no discounts or free games for me then. I never owned WoM.

edit: Thank you very much Alstein for comprehensive answer. Correct me if I'm wrong: I will have possibility to activate, continuously patch, and play FE on two PCs (edit: without active internet connection, except for patching, which can be done manually). (If Stardock keeps their old DRM policy.) It would be great, since I will be possibly buying a new netbook/laptop (with better video card then my old one; Pixel Shader 3 ).

January 17, 2012 2:40:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

edit: Thank you very much Alstein for comprehensive answer. Correct me if I'm wrong: I will have possibility to activate, continuously patch, and play FE on two PCs (edit: without active internet connection, except for patching, which can be done manually). (If Stardock keeps their old DRM policy.) It would be great, since I will be possibly buying a new netbook/laptop (with better video card then my old one; Pixel Shader 3 ).

I doubt that you can patch manually.  In the recent past, the patches have only been available digitally and then only through the distribution service.  I imagine this will be the same way.  Just a heads up if you really have computers without an internet connection.

January 17, 2012 2:47:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Manual patching, as in the User chooses when and If to patch. Unlike steam which forces it.

Though it should be said that Beta releases, will likely require internet connectivity, and would be auto-patched.

January 17, 2012 2:50:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does steam force it?  I can turn off automatic updates in steam.  

January 17, 2012 3:26:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

Stardock hasn't changed their old policies, as far as I know. 

I have used two PCs for Stardock games for around four years with no issues.  

January 17, 2012 3:32:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

E:wom betas required internet connection for an up-to-date data blob. It may be the same here. The non-beta E:wom never required it.

January 17, 2012 3:40:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,
I doubt that you can patch manually.  In the recent past, the patches have only been available digitally and then only through the distribution service.  I imagine this will be the same way.  Just a heads up if you really have computers without an internet connection.

My future mobile PC will have internet connection when I'm home, but when I'm off (sometimes for longer time) -- it won't. So no manual patching is bad for me, but not that bad.

Quoting Alstein,
I have used two PCs for Stardock games for around four years with no issues.  

Quoting Heavenfall,
E:wom betas required internet connection for an up-to-date data blob. It may be the same here. The non-beta E:wom never required it.

Good to hear this.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000063   Page Render Time: