Random worlds make things…interesting

By on November 30, 2011 3:45:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

The random maps are definitely getting better and better. I’d almost have guessed this was made by a person with the inland quasi-island and such.

Here’s another:

Locked Post 40 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 30, 2011 3:53:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is the the biggest map size we will ever see?  Or can we go something crazy with the map generator?  You know, like a world as big as The Elder Scrolls?

November 30, 2011 4:09:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The continents are maybe a little too square-shaped (I see that rotating helps much). But still, really nice maps!

What are the dimensions of those big squares?

November 30, 2011 4:11:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They look a litttle square and why is there a little island?  No boats

November 30, 2011 4:14:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

Small islands are starting locations for really hardcore players. I mean really.

November 30, 2011 4:33:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

Quoting Lord Xia, reply 3They look a litttle square and why is there a little island?  No boats

Small islands are starting locations for really hardcore players. I mean really.

Haha, that made me laugh.  Well done.

November 30, 2011 5:21:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

Quoting Lord Xia, reply 3They look a litttle square and why is there a little island?  No boats

Or where players will be started on harder difficulty settings if Brad can't make the AI strong enough

November 30, 2011 5:33:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

Islands are for cowards. I start in the water.

November 30, 2011 5:40:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I thought units could move across water Civ 5 style?

Naval stuff is my biggest request for an added feature for the 2nd expansion right now though.

November 30, 2011 6:20:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

Who needs boats when you can just summon land Populous style!  Then I summon my knight and burn your castles!

November 30, 2011 9:52:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Those are some serious choke points. Question - if locked in by another faction's ZOC, what was the mechanic decided in FE to pass through their ZOC? For example in WOM, big bad arse AI faction wants to kill me but can't pass through wussy AI's ZOC to get to me. I think I remember something about rights of passage being discussed awhile ago.

Just concerned the AI will get "ZOC-locked" and gimp their roll. Peace out, homies. Booyaa!

December 1, 2011 4:50:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks a lot better than the previous random map pictures. It's much less blocky and squarey. Would be great if the shoreline could be smoothed out a bit from the current jagged system, but that might be asking too much.

The blue player's starting position in the second screenshot is a bit off though. Distance between red and blue is out of proportion to distance between any other two players. Then again that could just be fun variety if you can end up starting really close by someone else.

December 1, 2011 12:26:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,
The continents are maybe a little too square-shaped (I see that rotating helps much). But still, really nice maps!

What are the dimensions of those big squares?

16x16 making the top map @ 60x60 & the bottom @ 80x60 = TINY maps, I'm loving the farther away from starting locations you go the more dangerous & more rewarding, adds alot to the questing 'feel', will make my '400x400' map quite interesting & the size of the Wildlands is also nice, really gives them presence

December 1, 2011 3:20:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sort of related, do we know if this will be able to use 4GB+ of RAM?   I know that it is probably not going to be 64bit   , but I would guess the RAM usage is going to be the biggest limiter on the map size.  

December 1, 2011 3:48:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

murteas, unless it is 64 bit the MAX ram use (unless LAA enabled during compile) will be 2gb, BUT 64 bit and it is a HUGE ball park to play in, not just the tiny 2gb back yard at present

harpo

December 1, 2011 8:05:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can pass through ZOC. The AI might even let you depending on whether it determines it is in its best interest.

December 1, 2011 8:07:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,
Sort of related, do we know if this will be able to use 4GB+ of RAM?   I know that it is probably not going to be 64bit   , but I would guess the RAM usage is going to be the biggest limiter on the map size.  

Yep. The map size I was testing out was medium in the screenshots.

Larger is...well larger.

Memory remains the constraint here plus the time to generate the worlds.

December 1, 2011 9:46:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
You can pass through ZOC. The AI might even let you depending on whether it determines it is in its best interest.

Brad - just to clarify. Separate AI's will ignore each other's ZOC or they will allow passage for each other? Thanks.

December 2, 2011 12:31:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brad- will there be any chance for multiple underground level of the map? or it just going to be locked down to one level (the surface)

December 2, 2011 2:30:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,
I thought units could move across water Civ 5 style?

Naval stuff is my biggest request for an added feature for the 2nd expansion right now though.

What make you think Civ5 style transports are a good idea for the Elemental games? This is not a one unit per tile game.

December 2, 2011 11:45:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting harpo99999,
murteas, unless it is 64 bit the MAX ram use (unless LAA enabled during compile) will be 2gb, BUT 64 bit and it is a HUGE ball park to play in, not just the tiny 2gb back yard at present

harpo

Yes, agreed, you are absolutely correct.  I realize that 64 bits is required to use more than the < 3GB limit that 32 bit has.  Not sure what I was really trying to get at there as I know that 64 bit was not coming out.   Let's just chalk it up as a Rick Perry moment.  

On another note, I love large maps, but I never seem to be able to finish them.  I always start large maps but then tend to restart again after a little while.   Maybe this time I'll actually play all the way through on large map with all the AI players enabled.

December 2, 2011 11:48:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting AlLanMandragoran,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 15You can pass through ZOC. The AI might even let you depending on whether it determines it is in its best interest.

Brad - just to clarify. Separate AI's will ignore each other's ZOC or they will allow passage for each other? Thanks.

My understanding is that ZOC will not be a barrier to passage.   The owning empire/kingdom may ask you to leave, but you can choose to ignore their demand (at the risk of starting a war), or they may not care and just ignore your breach of etiquette.

December 2, 2011 2:03:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NorsemanViking,

Quoting Alstein, reply 8I thought units could move across water Civ 5 style?

What make you think Civ5 style transports are a good idea for the Elemental games? This is not a one unit per tile game.

It avoids the building of transports, which are clinky and an AI problem.  Streamlining it just makes sense to me, provided the units can get blown out of the water by warships.

December 2, 2011 2:11:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Boats will not be in FE. But if and when they do come to Elemental, Brad is pushing for CivV style boats. There is a whole thread somewhere about it. 

December 2, 2011 2:21:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, the CivV boats would be the easiest way to do them, I guess.  And not to hate on CivV, there were other, older and just as hardcore TBS games that also did this.  There has to be a way to balance this out.  The AI needs a way to  be able to cross water effectively, but not so easy that terrain advantage is completely mitigated.

December 2, 2011 3:00:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think they would make it so that you needed to find a coast to embark. If the random maps are capable of limiting coastal space, it would be a good way to keep terrain advantages nominal. It would also be nice to see some warships. It all depends on balance. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: