New Fog of War

By on September 22, 2011 1:55:20 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

Loving the new fog of war. Note how things that are on the edge of the FOW are handled.

Video: http://screencast.com/t/K7zs6NIX

Locked Post 41 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 23, 2011 2:57:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just spend 20 consecutive repeats looking at the little fog video; and I'm quite fond of it. I haven't seen/played EWoM, so the whole art style is novel to me - but it is really well chosen and implemented. Kudos to the engine programmers and artists.

The fog itself doesn't scream anything at me - which is a good, there is nothing glaring at me as wrong or ill implemented.

What did bite at me, though, was the tree-flip.

September 23, 2011 3:42:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jackswift85,
I think the point was that we all knew what Brad was talking about anyways.
I don't know what he's talkin about there. The term indicates previously explored terrain that is outside ones line of sight. But the video shows terrain completely hidden.. Which to me looks like unexplored terrain. I don't see the fog of war in that video. Or at least I hope I don't. I very much dislike having previously explored terrain completely hidden from my view. I want to see at my ease the lay of the land I've surveyed. I don't want to have to recall it from memory amongst all the other things to keep track of. And I don't want to have to draw out maps. Gone should be the days of penning maps. This is a modern PC game. Those details should be auto-recorded and ready to access. In this case, the player should just be able to pan the world to review what they've already seen. Not have to re-explore previously surveyed land. Or have to pen maps on the side. I don't think I am alone in this. 

September 23, 2011 4:29:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm sick of the term 'Fog of War'. How about 'Mist of belligerence', 'Shroud of antagonism' or 'Haze of affray'.

Poll?

September 23, 2011 4:30:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about "Shit I ain't close enough to see"?  Has a nice ring to it, I think.

September 23, 2011 4:31:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jackswift85,

If we're walking down the street and I say, "Hey look at that guy's briefcase! It's pretty snazzy!" then you respond with, "That's not a briefcase, that's a valise. But yeah, pretty snazzy!" In that situation we both knew which object I was talking about. The difference matters, but so does context. In this (brief)case, Brad was showing us a 12 second video of one clearly defined thing he wanted us to look at.

Given how the first several posts had a bunch of people trying to figure out what he was talking about, I'm not so sure about that.

September 23, 2011 5:23:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

Faecal myopia?

September 23, 2011 9:16:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

LOL!!!

Aaah you surely live up the forums Xia

September 24, 2011 5:29:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jackswift85,

Quoting Tridus, reply 24

Quoting Goontrooper,
reply 22

Yes and the mechanics are whatever they decide to call them. They are designing it. That was my point. Who gives damn if they call it Fog or Unexplored or the void or whatever?

I do agree that there should be a difference between explored areas that we can't see and unexplored areas. I just don't really care what they call it as long as it is somewhat intuitive and supports gameplay.

No, the mechanics in question already exist. They're pretty standard across the genre (and some others). Taking them and mixing up the names doesn't do anything except create confusion about what's actually being implemented. Fog of War and unexplored area are different things and fundamentally don't do the same thing. The difference matters.

They could also replace HP with muffin baking ingredient points and change the entire UI to use middle click instead of left click if they really wanted to, but all it'd do is confuse people. There's a reason why people don't do that: existing names and conventions are really helpful at letting people pick up the game and quickly understand what's going on.

If we're walking down the street and I say, "Hey look at that guy's briefcase! It's pretty snazzy!" then you respond with, "That's not a briefcase, that's a valise. But yeah, pretty snazzy!" In that situation we both knew which object I was talking about. The difference matters, but so does context. In this (brief)case, Brad was showing us a 12 second video of one clearly defined thing he wanted us to look at.

Exactly.

September 24, 2011 4:50:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To be completely honest, that looks like crap. Floating treetops and transparent cacti, not good. It also looks way too mechanical and not natural at all, it's a completely straight and uniform line, if you are going to make the dark part foggy then make the edge foggy as well. The fog should cover things up, it shouldn't just end and then 10 feet away have partially transparent objects popping into view. Sorry, it just looks terrible to me.

September 27, 2011 8:38:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This would look awesome if this was 1997 and no one else had implemented fog of war in a game before.

September 28, 2011 2:41:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can we please get some new dev posts? This one is probably the only part of the game I have little interest in. I appreciate it is a part of game that needs to be made, but it just isn't exciting for me to think about or discuss. I guess FoW does its job if I don't really notice it. Keep up the good work. 

P.S. Nike shoes don't count as dev posts. 

September 28, 2011 5:25:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Honestly, we've had some great dev journals. What is left? Something about tactical combat maybe.

September 28, 2011 3:06:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting leeboy26,
I'm sick of the term 'Fog of War'. How about 'Mist of belligerence', 'Shroud of antagonism' or 'Haze of affray'.

Poll?

I vote Fog of War

September 28, 2011 3:46:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like to enter into the poll Taxation Without Representation, GBLBTH rights, Man on the Moon in 1959, and Zone of Control. I feel all those are valid options and should be given equal treatment.

September 28, 2011 4:26:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I vote Zone of Intelligence. We don't really control it just because we know what is there. And Fog of War doesn't make much sense if we are not at war.

I guess I can be interested in this on a semantic level. 

September 28, 2011 5:53:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Honestly, we've had some great dev journals. What is left? Something about tactical combat maybe.

"Sounds of Elemental - pompousness reinvented"

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: