My crazy SSD drive performances

By on September 15, 2011 2:56:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1470

I have three high end PCs. Each with an SSD.  One is an OCZ-Summit. Another is an Intel-25M and the newest is an OCZ-Vertex 3.

As a quickie benchmark, I copy the Winsxs directory (from the \Windows directory) back onto the drive and just look at the megabytes per second.

And wow, big differences.

The OCZ-Summit gets around 10 MB/sec.

The Intel-25M gets around 40 MB/sec.

And the OCZ-Vertex 3 gets about 110MB/sec.

When copying big amounts of stuff (or compiling big amounts of stuff) this is very noticeable.

I haven’t figured out what is making such a difference.  The PC with the OCZ-Summit is faster than the one with the Intel-25M. (Core I7-965 vs. an I7-920).  So is it the drive? The controller? Or something else?

The OCZ-Vertex 3 is on a SATA 6.0G controller and is a brand new drive so I’d expect it to be faster.  But 11X faster than the Summit?

Any thoughts?

Locked Post 35 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 15, 2011 3:10:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've seen quite a difference in drive speeds from model to model on SSDs. They seem to range anywhere from 40-280MB/s (Claimed specs anyways).

September 15, 2011 3:34:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The vertex is faster but why? It may be the architecture or better options from the Mboard i think only the manufacture OCZ could provide valid info about that...
I also tried a PCI-E x4  Revodrive 3 but still i couldnt confirm that the speed depends on the controllers only but they have to play a role like u mentioned
And i was almost crying when i had to give her back...

September 15, 2011 3:38:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

They all have crazy specs. It's in the REAL world that I'm testing here and seeing crazy differences.

September 15, 2011 3:53:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

specs about some drives of the OCZ series show that they went back and forth with the controllers so it has to be it
Agility 3 uses 2281 sandforce for the vertex 2 they used the SF  1200 controller V3 is again using the 2281 controller+ the V3 has more setup options that can enhance the performance even more depending on what kind of Mboard you use.

September 15, 2011 5:13:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The obvious thing to do is to swap the SSDs of the first and the last systems and then see how they perform then. That will tell you if it's the SSD itself or some external force that is making a difference.

Note that the performance also depends on the size and the number of files you're copying, as well as the file system and operating system corruption and performance. Fragmentation is also important - the more fragmented your SSD, the better it should perform (unlike in HDDs). And the drivers can make a difference, too. Plus, the test should be repeated to make sure it wasn't just pure luck, too.

September 16, 2011 4:55:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Any of those drives have any hardware jumper switches that might need to be moved to enable performance options?  Sometimes drives ship with jumpers set in default safe/compatible settings.

September 16, 2011 9:07:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Compared to these benchmarks from the techreport... I suspect that something is wrong with your setup for the Summit.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20646/5 

http://techreport.com/articles.x/17136/7 

September 17, 2011 6:17:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Compared to these benchmarks from the techreport... I suspect that something is wrong with your setup for the Summit.

I think so too.

The obvious decision is to get a Frog-2011 and pass Frog-2009 on to someone else and let them figure it out.

September 17, 2011 7:16:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

[quote who="Frogboy" reply="8" id="2997992"]The obvious decision is to get a Frog-2011 and pass Frog-2009 on to someone else and let them figure

You can pass Frog-2009 on to me. I'll figure it out...maybe...little bit...sometime....in say...the next year or three.

September 19, 2011 8:19:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
The obvious decision is to get a Frog-2011 and pass Frog-2009 on to someone else and let them figure it out.

Pretty sure I could hunt down the bottleneck, Brad....

I posted on another thread the other day with a link to some 'real world' tests on read/writes on various SSDs...was quite extensive....

September 19, 2011 8:33:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
I posted on another thread the other day with a link to some 'real world' tests on read/writes on various SSDs...was quite extensive....

Could you please repost the link Jafo I missed it, thanks!

September 19, 2011 9:02:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Quicksilver007,
Could you please repost the link Jafo I missed it, thanks

Once I've found it again...

September 19, 2011 9:06:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
September 19, 2011 11:55:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Out of curiosity, how noticeable of a performance boost does an SSD offer if you only keep the operating system on it? Not just booting, but other day to day stuff, I'm assuming it improves page filing. I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting one, but I won't be able to afford one that can fit more than you're average OS on it. Would it still be a good investment just for that? 

September 19, 2011 12:47:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting unacomn,
Out of curiosity, how noticeable of a performance boost does an SSD offer if you only keep the operating system on it? Not just booting, but other day to day stuff, I'm assuming it improves page filing. I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting one, but I won't be able to afford one that can fit more than you're average OS on it. Would it still be a good investment just for that? 

The performance boost is clearly noticeable example a normal HDD that has to load up all the programs on the start that takes (if the HDD is 60% full like lets say 20 seconds to a minute) depending on how many programs you have on autostartup while a SSD loads them instantly no more waiting -your desktop appears and you can right away start working.Programs like Adobe illustrator Photoshop or (ZBrush- takes ages to open a clay on a normal HDD) the SSD opens that in about 1-2 seconds PS and AI instantly.
I would say currently upgrading to an SSD seems expansive but its better to invest that money instead of wasting it on upgrading other components if you have a decent PC or notebook.Still its better to have 2 SSD´s but thats just crazy expansive still and 1 storage device where you save musik and stuff that way you can install the games on the second SSD and avoid mic4ro laggs on FPS games.

September 19, 2011 12:54:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting unacomn,
I'm assuming it improves page filing

You don't use page filing on an SSD. I think it uses up the number of writes faster than normal. If you have a regular HDD for data, etc, then you can set it up on that. I have it set up for Windows to control the paging file size on my D: drive.

This tweak guide was useful for me when I set my SSD up LINK.

September 19, 2011 1:07:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm, if I could fit Adobe Premiere on it as well, having it load faster would be a definite improvement, as it currently does take ages. Heck, by mid 2012, maybe prices will go down to the point where I won't have to drop 1TB on the storage HDD to afford it.

Technological advancement, the ball's in your court, make me proud, but not broke.  

LE: The "uses up the number of writes faster than normal" is a bit ominous.

September 19, 2011 1:41:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting unacomn,
LE: The "uses up the number of writes faster than normal" is a bit ominous.

Actually, I got that bit wrong. My bad . It has nothing to do with writes, it's seems to be a matter of how much Ram your system has. From the link I posted:

"This is an extremely controversial optimization and does not improve performance whatsoever.  It does, however, return to the user 3.5-4Gb of valuable ssd storage space.  It is NOT recommended for typical users with less than 4Gb RAM that are not aware of their system and its RAM use.  It is also not recommended without first watching RAM use closely for some time prior to this being done."

September 19, 2011 7:37:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for reposting the link Jafo!

September 19, 2011 10:16:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm still waiting for the size of SSD drives to get a lot bigger (not to mention a LOT cheaper) before I invest in one so I don't really have anything useful to contribute here. Needless to say though, seeing as how I've currently got 2 TB's almost filled with programs, games, and movies, converting that all over to SSD's would be really expensive. Unless of course you've got dump-trucks full of cash lying around because you just sold your digital distribution system...*coughBradcough*.

September 19, 2011 10:36:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RavenX,
I'm still waiting for the size of SSD drives to get a lot bigger (not to mention a LOT cheaper) before I invest in one so I don't really have anything useful to contribute here. Needless to say though, seeing as how I've currently got 2 TB's almost filled with programs, games, and movies, converting that all over to SSD's would be really expensive. Unless of course you've got dump-trucks full of cash lying around because you just sold your digital distribution system...*coughBradcough*.

Only things you 'need' to have on an SSD is the OS itself...and various proggies such as Photoshop...or Office, etc.

All the 'big crap' like Games, Music, Videos, etc....leave them all on a platter.

Minimum 'functional' SSD size for W7 is dependent on installed ram and possible need for a Hiberfil. - eg with a UPS.

Mine's fine with that...12gig ram and a 60gig OCZ Summit.

BTW....my 'Games' folder is.....534,373 files.... 260,034,009,633  [about 260 gig]..

September 20, 2011 3:09:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In addition to the OS and some programs, there's quite a few games that can benefit a lot from SSDs. Total War games and Sword of the Stars being the ones I'd prefer on an SSD. They have huge load times before entering battles and you can cut that down.

Since one has to rely on Steam to play Total War, you need to create symbolic links from your HDD to SSD for the games you want to run from there. Steam only allows a single drive/folder for games, so you need to cheat it a bit.

September 20, 2011 9:04:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Only things you 'need' to have on an SSD is the OS itself...and various proggies such as Photoshop...or Office, etc.

All the 'big crap' like Games, Music, Videos, etc....leave them all on a platter.

Minimum 'functional' SSD size for W7 is dependent on installed ram and possible need for a Hiberfil. - eg with a UPS.

Mine's fine with that...12gig ram and a 60gig OCZ Summit.

BTW....my 'Games' folder is.....534,373 files.... 260,034,009,633  [about 260 gig]..

True, very true. Games and movies and music and stuff of that nature that just eats up storage space probably wouldn't benefit much from being on a SSD. Well, "some" games might benefit if they have load times.

Not bad on the Games folder btw, you almost match mine. Currently the ones I have stored on my secondary 1 TB drive is 372 gigs with 8,797 files in 754 folders. For movies (also on the same drive) I'm using 273 gigs with 637 files in 144 folders. Mostly though that's so I don't have to get up and go looking for the actual DvD's when I want to watch a movie. I can sit right here and either watch them on my monitor (which is still bigger than some people's TV's) or make an extra click and stream it to the 52 inch TV and kick back in bed and watch it.

Being a mostly home entertainment user the advantage to having a SSD would be not having to worry about the drive wearing out and loosing all those backed up files. I haven't had any work to do in a while so Photoshop has been going mostly un-used.

September 20, 2011 9:48:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I get two drives on a new system:

1 SSD for the boot/swap partition

2. For the data drive

September 20, 2011 9:51:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RavenX,
the advantage to having a SSD would be not having to worry about the drive wearing out and loosing all those backed up files.

An SSD isn't going to be any safer than a platter.  Both have finite lives.

Genuine long term storage will also mean minimum access/use.

Then you'll only have to worry about still having the hardware and/or OS to access it....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time: