Warlock – Master of the Arcane (New Fantasy 4X Game in World of Majesty)

By on August 30, 2011 4:42:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Goontrooper

Join Date 02/2006
+5

Some new information is coming out on a future Fantasy TBS 4X game called Warlock – Master of the Arcane. The game is set in the same world as the Majesty series. There isn't lots of information out, but we do have some WIP screens and concept art. The weird thing to me is that they are saying Q2 2012, but there doesn't even seem to be a site for the game yet, just a tiny forum at Paradox.

Anyways, I really like the Majesty games, although they have never lived up to their billing of 'Fantasy Kingdom Simulator' and are really more 'Hero  Influencing Simulators.' I really wish that those games would expand the 'Kingdom Simulator' bit to provide a wider range and depth of gameplay. The idea of a 'Fantasy Kingdom Simulator' has always been one of the things I have wanted Elemental to be.

1C has a strong list of games including Majesty, King's Bounty, Men of War, and others. Not sure about the exact studio doing this game.

I'll be interested to see how this develops. The more the merrier, I say!

The below link is for one of several small articles out there, and includes a gallery of screen shots.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/new-turn-based-strategy-game-announced-warlock-master-of-the-arcane.htm

Locked Post 153 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 11, 2012 5:16:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

did you actually play a game till the end?

end game is so INCREDIBLY boring

there is no final tech to finish, i researched ALL POSSIBLE techs in the game so early it hurts, i had basically nothing to do but stomp on enemies, but being in THREE world it was incredibly annoying

i had all the possible best units just roaming to kill stuff and never finishing, while cities are cake to conquer cause ai is very dumb monsters are incredibly strong, in the last plane i got TONS of drakes i needed like 10 700s units just to advance in that world

and respawns are SO dumb

things keeps respawning over and over and annoys me to hell to keep producing units in EVERY city just to redestroy caves i already destroyed

it seems the usual game with no real beta, a good gamer could not have tested this and said "ehy its ok"

they just polished it for the first 50 100 turns where IT IS fun to play but after that its very tedious

also i dont think there is much replayability, i mean tactic is so straight forward, there is nothing different you can do, just a different race but youd  have it anyway by conquering

in mom every leader was totally different here they are all about the same

May 11, 2012 6:24:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Someone needs to clean these forums up, they are a right mess, rubbish everywhere. 

May 11, 2012 9:30:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting alborrelli,

Also, I consider the combat tactical even though it doesn't go to a specific screen since you have to think about unit placement, range of weapons, elevation, etc etc.. isn't THAT tactical. It is to me, a former Army Ranger.. but I'll let you desk jockies redefine tactical all you want.

I'm at a loss as to why people don't understand this.  Tactics are tactics, even if they play out on the campaign map.

May 11, 2012 10:44:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If nothing else, Warlock has certainly inflamed people's passions.

May 12, 2012 3:58:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

End games on most 4X's are boring, it's a problem with the genre.

Stardock has some mechanics to try and freshen it up some, but they vary in effectiveness.

That said, I really wish FE had these things from Warlock

-hex system (I prefer it)

-catapults that could attack adjacent hexes

-the random resource model, we need more cool stuff like pumpkin patches, silver mines, donkeys, etc.  It's bloat to a degree, but it's fun bloat, provided the special resources stay local.  (Knights of Asok should be a local resource)

May 12, 2012 6:24:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game is not MOM and was never designed to be MOM.I wish these nostalgic moaners would live in 2012.

May 12, 2012 4:30:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think Warlock is an excellent game and I'm enjoying it a great deal. I think it's the best fantasy 4x I've played since AoW:SM. Sure, some things can be improved in patches and add-ons but it's already one of my all time favorites in this genre. It's focus is war and it does that extremely well and with humor to boot. I'm reminded of the old Warlords games more than anything else. It's meant to be light and fun and it certainly takes a while learn all the ins and outs and to find all the cool and surprising stuff they put it there. The world needs more games like this, imo.

May 16, 2012 11:12:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Warlock is a good game imo, as someone said above, it is very MoM ish, at least to me, this game is the only game that made me feels nostalgic towards MoM so far.

One of the best point of this game is Spell design, there is a debuff, buff, damage, heal, city buff/debuff, and what surprises me is that this game has global spells, which made me feels very nostalgic towards MoM, almost none 4x fantasy game has that global spells nowadays.

Another aspect which is the best point of this game is assigning some of the best spells to the gods, and those spells relate to those gods personality, like the sun goddess spells relate to elemental damage spell and elemental dmg/def buff spells, warrior god mostly concerns about buffing unit damage (there is even a global version of that super dmg buff), you can't have all of those, you must choose which god you want to worship, which means we can't have everything and become overpowered, because one god counter his/her polar opposite and what is good about it is that they do not counter each other in direct way, they counter in subtle way which add more depth to the game itself.

Another great thing about spells in this game is spell combos, unfortunately there is immense lack of documentation about this, forcing me to try every possible spells in the game, which is a major pain. So far it seems that only spells cast by great mage that can form a combo, i hope in the future patch or expansion, it can even combo with most of the unit spells, if not all.

The only thing that seems a little off is balance, both unit balance and spell balance, though the latter is does not have that much imbalance. Imo most of the units are balanced, but some units, especially the god related temple units are too overpowered againts a dumb AI, however if they plan to release a multiplayer, that overpowered units are fine since some spells counter this (what is sweet is those spells are god related one).

Imo Spell balance is good, though damage spells are weak in late game compared to other type of spells due to units can purchase equipments that insanely increase their resistance.

Victory by spell seems impossible at the current version, as the turn required to cast it is too long, while just one counterspell from the ai/other player cancel it easily, and all the mana spent to cast it is gone, i think the spell countering mechanic in this game should be reworked, MoM has good mechanic about this.

May 16, 2012 1:14:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cauldyth,
If nothing else, Warlock has certainly inflamed people's passions.

I don't feel passionate about my opinion. I tried the demo after being excited about the game and decided its a 'meh' game. Reading other people's descriptions and reviews i'm glad i didn't buy it. I think I would have a much stronger opinion if I had bought it, i'd be vastly disappointed.

May 16, 2012 1:27:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm pretty passionate about my opinion.  Warlock is the best TBS game I have played since GalCiv2+.  

May 16, 2012 11:40:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Game feels good. But soon comes the feeling, that everything is same. I dont mean visuals, i dont mean balance, i mean it feels the same. So yeah u can ahve skeleton warrior or goblin warrior, and? Ok, there are bunch of spells with differrent type of dmg. And what that means? Just differrent animation, and maybe spirit damage is better against elementals, and life damage against skeletons. So hardcore differrentation, that i feel the power.

Okay maybe gods will bring some addittional replayability? No they are so overpowered, that it turns - doesnt matter which god you use, you rock from the momment you got acess to.

Dunno the game goes booring to fast. Heroes 3-5, Civilization, FfH feels still better.

btw, If compare with FE - even terrible buged, unbalanced, unstable, FE stills feels with more depth.

May 17, 2012 5:04:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, different people will have different opinion about this game.

But i'll add another comments about this game, Differrentation wise, i think that has to do with we being able to play all races at once in 1 playthrough, if that feature is removed, there is a good differrentation.

Spell wise, only the damage spells which function the same, to damage yet with different animation, other spells if you really pay attention to each of it, you'll notice that one do very different thing with the others, ok maybe the damage buff is just the same but with different damage type, but the game gives several type of resistance, this made those dmg buff spells very different, like we will never use a death damage buff againts undead, etc. Still, there are no dmg spells that has identical role, just like elemental, you got early damage spells both single target or AoE, then later you got the better version, after getting the better version, you'll mostly use that, every game like this have that, even MoM have those. I think that same value or animation didn't matter that much, what matters is the spells role in real competitive gameplay. Right now, the ai is dumb, they don't use their spells wisely, but the developer promise multiplayer dlc, and imo the fast pace of the game means that it's good for multiplayer.

And like most of people said above, what this games severely lack is empire building depth, unlike civ and elemental, but then again i think this was never meant to be a game such as that, it is more of elven legacy with MoM flavor (magic) created with the style of majesty game. I admit i was disappointed at first after looking about the lack of depth, but the more i explore the game, i think this game has potential, with couple of patch, it will turn out good. Another factor is the AI, if only the AI is better in using spells and purchasing equipments, the game will be hard, since this game is about racing to late game content, the AI often gets there, but they never use it, which made some aspects of the game look pretty overpowered, like god units or late game items (adamantium armor and the like), if the AI also use those, they'll be even with players, or i dare say that the AI will be better than most players, since they have cheat (like gold dragon spell summon, more income of gold,mana,food).

Though if compared to FE, imo FE still better in most thing, but the balance is so screwed, i care so much for balance, more than depth, fortunately it is still in beta, and i usually keep my distance from any thing beta. I hope that FE will be balanced. But unit variation in FE feels bland, just like WoM, most of the units are just those soldiers that we designed, they just feel bland, if only FE will give more monster army to recruit, i might be tempted to try the beta myself.

May 17, 2012 9:18:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really hope they don't remove being able to play as all the races, that is one of the best features Warlock has.  And diversity comes at a cost as races other than your main have stunted city growth.  And the lack of depth or a tech tree for Warlock is one of the main attractions for me.  A game that stays in the medieval technology era doesn't need one, IMHO.

I do wish the AI was better at buffing and debuffing in Warlock, that is where the real exploiting the AI occurs in the game. 

May 22, 2012 1:42:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I bought warlock and sunk a ton of hours into it. Very fun, very simple game. I can see a lot of elements were 'borrowed' from elemental though.

After sinking a bunch of hours into it, I had to stop playing though. The AI is so weak and easy to beat.

May 22, 2012 3:17:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

At its core it is just a very very simple 'classic' wargame using rock-paper-scissors mechanics for the damage and resistance types played on a random map. Imagine replacing the map with a flat hex-based map and the units with nato-style counters (Halberdiers become Heavy Infantry etc) and you'll see what I mean. And I'm freakin' loving it!!! Can't stop playing it. Definitely one of the best TBS I've played. Agree the AI is too weak - even on impossible.

May 24, 2012 10:23:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I got the game about a week ago, its not a bad game, but nothing really stood out to me as being excellent about it.  The first few hours  played were actually pretty fun and certainly had that "one-more-turn" value that good 4x games have.  However after about the 100th time of attacking a skeleton warrior with a goblin warrior I got kinda bored.  

There's just not enough depth for me and after awhile it just seems like each game devolves into a war of attrition with each side trying to slowly grind down the other, very repetitive... It was very hard for me to finish a game, it just became to laborious, I suppose that's an affliction common to 4x games, but I felt like warlock had a worst case than most other games in the genre. 

MoM2 it is not... That distinction belongs to AoW2

I payed $18for it on amazon, so I suppose thats a fair price, I certainly wouldn't have payed $40 or $50 

May 24, 2012 11:12:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know what you mean about the war of attrition but the game really sprung to life for me when I started to manage the damage types versus the resistance types for units. It meant that elite units could be built for a very specific task depending on who you were up against. For example, let's say you're playing undead and you're attacking a human player. You have a number of vampire units and they are owning the battlefield. But then you come across an undead player and suddenly these elite ranged units no longer do any damage at all. This is where you can buff them out with spells, for example life attacks, and then they will rip through undead troops.

And also you only need to go after the capitols to win. So if you find you've got an unstoppable force you can usually wind the game up reasonably quickly.

May 25, 2012 4:08:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Das123 - A Lets Play 0.915 would be much appreciated

May 25, 2012 4:22:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joasoze,
@Das123 - A Lets Play 0.915 would be much appreciated

So it DAS. I am working so much I dont have time to play the game (0.915). But I have time to listen and watch some parts of a video

May 25, 2012 3:25:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
I'm pretty passionate about my opinion.  Warlock is the best TBS game I have played since GalCiv2+.  

I agree.

May 27, 2012 5:37:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game lacks complexity, content and replayability. Other than that it's ok I guess. It might be fun in MP though.

I'm 100% sure there will be large amounts of DLC with new races etc, so maybe it will get better later on.

May 30, 2012 5:28:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sammual69,

Quoting Lord Xia,
reply 135

I agree.

I am also in this boat.

One of my favourite things is, that the different races can use the different resources in different ways. It is a loving detail i find great.

July 17, 2012 12:05:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Everyone's favorite game to discuss is back!

Anyways, I logged onto Steam the other day and it had patched Warlock. I go to play it and all of a sudden there's multiplayer, heroes (they're called lords) & artifacts, an artifact vault where you can disenchant current artifacts, more world events, victory condition options, plus some reworked diplomacy and AI. After only playing a few hours I can say the AI was marginally better at sending units out after me, though I haven't played enough to be sure if it's more of a challenge. The heroes are pretty fun though. The mechanics for them are simple (like everything else in the game, they occasionally come along, you have ten turns to hire them and they get three artifact slots depending on their type... my ogre hero had two armor slots and one misc slot... I guess he didn't want to give up his tree branch melee weapon).

September 5, 2012 2:07:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just wanted to say that after being epicly disappointed with E:FE beta4 I went ahead and bought Warlock and the DLC's and its amazing

the more i play it the more i love it and discover new things and just how much depth the game really has

September 5, 2012 2:54:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Warlock is quite addictive, but its hard to really say why. I have played it a lot.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: