Impulse and FE Question

By on August 26, 2011 12:38:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

nobalkain

Join Date 05/2009
+2

Are we still getting our free copy via Impulse? If so what happens if Impulse goes under due to GameStop.

Locked Post 29 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 26, 2011 1:41:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes. If it goes under, then preusmably they'll deal with it. But I doubt Gamestop would have bought it in order to shut it down.

August 26, 2011 6:32:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The the plan is to use Impulse at least for the time being, but we have the registration records for Elemental ourselves, so we'd still be able to provide FE by whatever other means if it really came to that (but I don't expect that it would).

August 27, 2011 10:26:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kyro thanks for the reply. Good to know you guys have the records just incase.

Tridus I am just a bit worried because of GameStops latest Dues Ex mess up. They really messed up bad this time, and it was aimed right at the PC Gamers.

August 27, 2011 7:12:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, yeah. I'm not happy about that either. But it wouldn't make sense for Gamestop to spend a bunch of money buying Impulse and relocating the staff if they're going to close it. So I'm not too worried about that.

I do hope once the exclusive period ends we see SD games on other providers though.

August 28, 2011 3:08:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I second Tridus's remark.  I'm not saying don't stay on Impulse, but my preference would be for you guys to sell games directly again, and you should go on Steam for business sense purposes.

August 28, 2011 3:24:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They should be on Steam as well. I respect that they lose 30% profits while selling on steam, that's a big chunk of something they can do for free or get for free from impulse. And there's the anti-competitive nature of steam - every bit as bad as Gamestop's gaffe, and probably worse. But being on steam should help them reach more customers that didn't bother before. The time for marketplace-unique game releases is quickly passing, in my opinion. In reality it's likely to go the other way, since Steam and Origin are gearing up for a clash.

September 13, 2011 2:38:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
They should be on Steam as well.

Yes this game needs a DRM . Put it on Steam . 

September 13, 2011 6:50:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm in favor of Steam as well.

September 14, 2011 12:21:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting nobalkain,
Tridus I am just a bit worried because of GameStops latest Dues Ex mess up. They really messed up bad this time, and it was aimed right at the PC Gamers.

????

Whats this about Deus Ex and Game Stop screw up?

October 12, 2011 3:42:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tridus,
Yes. If it goes under, then preusmably they'll deal with it. But I doubt Gamestop would have bought it in order to shut it down.

I don't know about going under, but I was on Impulse yesterday and about every link on the app took you to the GameStop website with the incorrect games, wrong images, etc. Oh yeah, also they kept recommending used consoles, console games, and the new GameStop Download service -- Hello? Isn't that what Impulse is??? I'm betting on a full Impulse-to-GameStop conversion by the end of the month.

October 12, 2011 3:52:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I use steam everyday, haven't opened Impulse in a long time...for me, Impulse has no advantage over Steam.  

October 12, 2011 4:35:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Steam pisses me of in that it MUST be open to run games. That is the only advantage to Impulse right now, at least for me.

October 12, 2011 4:56:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yea, but what does that matter?  It being open doesn't seem to cause me any problems.

October 12, 2011 5:41:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just buy the game from the service I can find it one. It doesn't really matter to me if its Steam or Impulse, or some other service for that matter. I can't be bothered to spend a lot of time contemplating between the two. Both work fine on my computers.

October 12, 2011 6:23:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, here's my question

Are the Free Copies only going to be avaliable through Impulse?  With Stardock doing their new DD service, will the Impulse codes work on both places?

October 13, 2011 3:14:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kryo already basically answered that in reply #2. They will most likely be available only via Impulse, since it's currently the only distribution method.

October 13, 2011 4:33:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My question wasn't so much about initially, but when Stardock restarts their own DD service- my question is whether the keys would be transferable from Impulse to the new service?  I'm really hoping (and expecting) this to be the case.

I'd be very unhappy about it, but I'd even pay $5 or $10 just to transfer the registration- that's how much I want to get Impulse off my machine.  It's not even called Impulse anymore.

October 13, 2011 5:28:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't imagine there being any of that sort of fee just to transfer a registration. If it's not free I'm not using it.

October 13, 2011 5:53:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, the plan presently is that users who purchased WOM will get FE via the new Stardock Central app.  FE will certainly be available on Impulse (or whatever Gamestop ultimately brands it as) but our users will be directed to download it from us directly.

October 13, 2011 6:05:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you, that's exactly what I wished.  Please keep that plan.

Heavenfall: Never said I would be happy to do it, saying I would do it.

October 13, 2011 6:31:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
They will most likely be available only via Impulse, since it's currently the only distribution method.

This thread is two months old, from before Brad announced the new system.

October 14, 2011 8:57:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This may be semi-unrelated, but just a heads up for you guys:

When you announce the beta, you need to make it very clear how you can get the game, and who gets it for what.  I know you plan on doing this, but there seems to be a lot of confusion out there in the general gaming public.

This might help you guys get the game in as many hands as possible, which I think is what you want.

October 14, 2011 9:04:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

Heavenfall: Never said I would be happy to do it, saying I would do it.

And I was saying I wouldn't.

October 14, 2011 12:43:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kryo,

My bad.

October 17, 2011 8:01:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kryo,

Quoting Sir_Linque, reply 16They will most likely be available only via Impulse, since it's currently the only distribution method.

Does this means that Stardock games won't be shackled down by Impulse?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000859   Page Render Time: