Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Elemental: War of Magic 1.3 Changelog

By on July 27, 2011 1:12:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+616

Economy tweaked and fix for out of control population
+ AI more reactive about updating strategy when a target city has been conquered / destroyed
+ Janusk has been removed. Goodbye old friend. See you in the Fallen Enchantress tutorial... (UI option not yet removed)
+ AI now evaluates which player they care about the most with Dynasty ties being a big motivator. When a sovereign dies, it will give its kingdom to its heir.
+ Repeatable improvements now increase with cost as more are built.
+ World difficulty now sets the default AI player difficulty
+ Modders can set the base cost of repeatable improvements in the appropriate .xml file
+ Base unit CON reduced from 5 to 3
+ Special buildings now longer required to build special units. Instead, these buildings provide bonuses (i.e. no need for a command post to train groups)
+ Minimum number of units you can train has been increased to 4.
+ Trained units default HP reduced from 5 to 1
+ Trained unit groups that survive a battle will heal to full strength (i.e. If your group of 4 survives the battle with 1 guy left, it will be replenished to 4 over time). Hat tip to Konan.
+ Insufficient free tiles message added
+ Zone of control from improvements reduced
+ Tech costs increased
+ Number of starting quest locations increased
+ Pedastrians disabled (for now)
+ More aggressively freeing memory
+ Notable locations may now be explored regardless of your level.
+ Notable locations will be spawned NEAR you when you increase your exploration level (but now remember, your opponents can access them too so don't do it if you're surrounded)
+ Objects that have been marked as destroyed are now ignore by subsystems (performance improvement, stability improvement) This is throughout all game systems.
+ LOTS of code to handle the increasing costs in terms of people to run your improvements. If anyone thinks that getting highly talented people remains equally easy as you grow, ask google, microsot or apple about that. It's not.
+ Random events added (not many random events yet though)
+ Pioneers are still trained as individuals
+ Units move faster by default on the map (animation-wise)
+ Units move A LOT faster in tactical battle (let us know if it's too fast)
+ Minor factions removed. Sorry guys, they're just too lame to live for now.
+ New notable locations added to provide weapons, armor, and other "stuff" 

76 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 27, 2011 1:34:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you really don't like minor factions, I had this idea to make them have special items and spells for sale. Something akin to what made minors in GC2 really useful and interesting.

July 27, 2011 1:35:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not only is that changelog riddled with errors and not up-to-date, but the 1.3 patch was released in an absolutely horrid state with many of the new mechanics breaking the game. It is beyond me how you can release a wank patch like this. What is the point of beta if you do not pay attention and fix the problems we report? It's a damn shame.

July 27, 2011 1:40:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why don't you guys just implement a speed slider so we can adjust the Units speed in combat to our own liking???

You guys SERIOUSLY have to have a look back at GalCivII, THAT'S how to make OPTIONS. This game needs it!

July 27, 2011 1:52:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Not only is that changelog riddled with errors and not up-to-date, but the 1.3 patch was released in an absolutely horrid state with many of the new mechanics breaking the game. It is beyond me how you can release a wank patch like this. What is the point of beta if you do not pay attention and fix the problems we report? It's a damn shame.

Can anyone else confirm this? I reformatted my laptop recently, and I don't want to waste time downloading Impulse and Elemental if it's this bad of a shape.

July 27, 2011 1:58:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm probably exaggerating.

July 27, 2011 2:04:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think it's a bad as Heavenfall made it sound before, but I certainly understand the frustration.

July 27, 2011 2:31:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Maybe they finally given up on WoM and put all their people to FE?

July 27, 2011 3:15:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
... What is the point of beta if you do not pay attention and fix the problems we report?...

This has been giving me the shits as well. But the damned potential of the game keep sucking me back in.

Like watching a blind-fold darts game. Most of the throws don't even hit the board but there is still a chance of hitting a bulls-eye.

July 27, 2011 3:58:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Are there any changes from 1.2F?

July 27, 2011 5:03:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"+ Units move A LOT faster in tactical battle (let us know if it's too fast)"

Is it possible to simply add an option for that sort of thing.  A slider bar from slow to fast with say 5 options of speed.   Also could I request an option for tactical text size, its HUGE!  Option for, small med or large for the old farts.

Thanks for the hard work.  looking forward to more simple fixes.

Doh sorry Filthgrinder, i didnt read the posts till after I posted. 

July 27, 2011 6:05:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Did the prestige equation get fixed in for 1.3? Guess we'll have to test it to find out.

July 27, 2011 6:08:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Haha please don't tell me y'all sent out a mailing list email advertising 1.3 and the update is as broken as people are saying.

July 27, 2011 7:33:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about this.

Get it to at least as good as Master of Magic was for overall theme, playability and ease of use (yes, despite the memory-hog problems of getting it started), and we'll talk. 

I've long hoped this would be a valid sequel to that game (which I still go back and play to this day), but so far, it's been a renewed let down with each patch.

July 27, 2011 8:32:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting AlexFury,
How about this.

Get it to at least as good as Master of Magic was for overall theme, playability and ease of use (yes, despite the memory-hog problems of getting it started), and we'll talk. 

I've long hoped this would be a valid sequel to that game (which I still go back and play to this day), but so far, it's been a renewed let down with each patch.

I agree they should have just cloned mom but I do admit they did come a long way maybe they might have playable game some time in the futre but I still thing MOM is beter game right now

July 28, 2011 4:04:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting AlexFury,
Get it to at least as good as Master of Magic was for overall theme, playability and ease of use

Easier said than done or so it seems.

July 28, 2011 4:30:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I think the biggest problem of WoM was/still is that they put in to many features to get it "casual gamer competive" and this leads to the problem that to many factors needs to be considered to make i:

- balanced

- a good AI

- the game in sum is real fun

I would say: Less is often (so much) More!

July 28, 2011 5:00:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heh, I decided to try out 1.3. I must say I even had fun for a while (not as nearly as much as Civilization games) until the game dropped me to desktop. Then I lost the will to continue After million patches the game still drops to desktop

July 28, 2011 6:02:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+ Repeatable improvements now increase with cost as more are built. 

Question : Why are tech knowledge buildings capped at 1 per tier, and not arcane knowledge buildings? (personally i would prefer the 1,3,6,10,15 that was told we'd get per level instead of 1,2,3,4,5 but i'm ok with that so far)

+ Special buildings now longer required to build special units. Instead, these buildings provide bonuses (i.e. no need for a command post to train groups) 

Apart from groups of 8, what either 'special units' are we referring to here? Also whats the point of groups of 9, compared to 8? seems like a very small improvement and not much sense either (I suggests something like 2(partner), 4(team), 10(squad), 20(division) if we can handle 20, if not then probably 2(partner), 4(team), 7(unit), 10(squad))

+ Notable locations may now be explored regardless of your level. 

Can we remove the text tip that tells you your level and the required notable level?

+ Pioneers are still trained as individuals 

they might come out as individuals, but they still cost 4 pop and 4x the resources. Unless you click on your sovereign/champions, then click back into training queue, then you can choose 1, but in that case you can chose 1 of anything else well (i.e. defaults to 1 instead of 4 after selecting a sovereign)

Last thing, is that the jump from the difficulty before ridiculous and ridiculous is well ridiculous, a spider goes from 6 hp to 34hp ?!?! and a bear goes from 19hp to 98hp?!?! and also can the random quests (which i do like) increase in difficulty i mean i was killing bandits with a 5 groups of archers with atk of 80... really needs to scale into late game

Still, i'm enjoying the game just wish it could be better

July 28, 2011 6:08:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Damn, I don't think I'm even going to bother downloading this.

July 28, 2011 6:16:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm going to eat my words and not even try it out either. I'll just wait for FE.

July 28, 2011 8:32:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hm When I watching closely my cities, I don`t see any people worked (animations). Why? 

July 28, 2011 5:07:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, I must admit this patch does sound quite discouraging, especially if it is possible for previous fixes to revert to unfixed in subsequent versions.  Frogboy, what do you say about the bugs coming back issue?

Best regards,
Steven.

July 28, 2011 6:55:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What worries me is Heavenfall's response.  I don't think I've ever seen him go all smackdown - definitely not a good sign  

July 28, 2011 7:53:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Azzazell,
Hm When I watching closely my cities, I don`t see any people worked (animations). Why? 

I noticed this too.  I have tried to be patient with Stardock since this game came out, but I am starting to get pissed off.  This game is still full of bugs and half-finished features and I'm tired of waiting, get it together Stardock!

July 28, 2011 7:57:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't bothered with the game for months for obvious reasons and just check the site now and again for news on patches and updates and FE etc. Seeing the news that 1.3 had been released motivated me into reinstalling it, but then I read this thread and now I'm not going to even bother!

People can only say "well this game has great potential" for a limited amount of time until you get to the point where you just have to face facts and realize that the game is a dud and it will never be and it will never reach the potential that people think it had.

All I can say is it's just as freakin well that we're getting FE for free because buying Elemental has left the bitterest taste in my mouth!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001313   Page Render Time: