Fallen Enchantress- Magic

By on July 21, 2011 10:33:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Derek Paxton

Join Date 03/2003
+173

One of the three focuses for Fallen Enchantress is Magic.  We want the spells to be unique, to feel like casters with enough mana can change the world.  We want magic to fill the game, all the sovereigns start with spells though some like Procipinee are better spell casters than Verga.  As in Master of Magic you can choose your sovereigns proficiency with the various magic types when you create them.

I’ve attached a PDF of the spells with this post.  It includes the normal spells the player can cast, it doesn’t include spell abilities of creatures, spell like abilities granted by equipment and some other special abilities in the game.

I’d like to give a special thanks both to Unacomn for suggesting the Shadow World spell and NuclearNeumann for suggesting the Blood Curse spell.  They are fun spells to play with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Removed the spell PDF as it is almost a year old and woefully out of date.  New spells have been added and even more are coming.  check out out dev journal on spells here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ArdQVqLHsI&feature=youtu.be

- Derek 4/11/2012

Locked Post 322 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 21, 2011 10:37:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh yeah, #1.

[Edit] Information about Magic AND it's in the form of a .pdf manual. Two birds with one stone. Outstanding!

July 21, 2011 10:38:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

July 21, 2011 10:54:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LightofAbraxas,

Well said.

July 21, 2011 10:58:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,
Well said.

I like the new UI? I did have a question, though, since you're around. The pdf mentions life shards changing to death shards when the environment changes... but the descriptions all seem to reference elemental-type shards? What's the deal, yo?

July 21, 2011 11:03:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LightofAbraxas,

Quoting Derek Paxton, reply 3Well said.

I like the new UI? I did have a question, though, since you're around. The pdf mentions life shards changing to death shards when the environment changes... but the descriptions all seem to reference elemental-type shards? What's the deal, yo?

There are 6 types of shards, air, death, earth, fire, life, water.  But there are only 5 types in the world, all but death.  The only way death shards appear is when a life shard falls into an empires influence, it is automatically converted to a death shard.  If that influence switches back to a kingdom player it switches back to a life shard.

The only other way death shards can appear is through quests and Resoln has a spell (corruption) that can convert any shard type in your territory to a death shard (so Ceresa can start switching Air, Earth, Fire and Water shards to death shards if she really wants to make her death spells powerful).

July 21, 2011 11:06:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The new spells look nice. Each one is different and useful, which is great. Quest spells? Spells unique to a game? Hybrid spells? I love all of that. It sounds like it will make each game different, which is always important. Magic also seems strong, especially at high levels. So it looks good!

One question in regards to levels and HP, as several spells seem to effect these. Is there a max to stats this time around? As in, can you only get up to 20 int, and that is considered god-like? Or can champions raise stats as much as they want? How about HP? What is considered weak, what is strong? Is 3hp damage a lot, or barely anything?

July 21, 2011 11:07:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We're still facing the problem of wanting to be an air wizard, making picks in that area, and not finding any air shards near you.  Since there is now at least a mechanism (as you describe) for changing one shard into another, is there a possibility that we can morph the elemental shards like the life/death shards?  Maybe through quest, or having to be attached to a city, or some other mechanism?

There is a good array of spells, but I was struck, again, by the similarity between them; direct damage, stats manipulation, and a smattering of situational spells.  There aren't a good array standard buffs (enchant weapon, shield, etc) that would be nice to see if magic was to be pervasive.  As it is, it looks to be that games will be about saving up magic all through the game, and using it only sparingly if at all to get out of bad situations, followed by using it to essentially press the "I win" button.  I fear that 90% of the game will still be mundane armies clashing, with no summoned creatures and no diversity of units.

July 21, 2011 11:08:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well that was a great read. Just found one error, "Slow" is listed twice as both a Water I and Water II spell with the exact same effect. At first I was curious to see a relatively "short" list of spells in each school, then after seeing all those other spells that you can research and gain from quests...

I'm thinking the endgames of FE are going to be immensely chaotic. Volcanoes exploding, cities being destroyed, titans being summoned in battle, tornadoes & falling stars coming out of nowhere... exciting!

Someone also needs to give the art dept. a big pat on the back (or a raise...?), going through and making vivid depictions of each and every spell.

July 21, 2011 11:08:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,
There are 6 types of shards, air, death, earth, fire, life, water. But there are only 5 types in the world, all but death. The only way death shards appear is when a life shard falls into an empires influence, it is automatically converted to a death shard. If that influence switches back to a kingdom player it switches back to a life shard.

The only other way death shards can appear is through quests and Resoln has a spell (corruption) that can convert any shard type in your territory to a death shard (so Ceresa can start switching Air, Earth, Fire and Water shards to death shards if she really wants to make her death spells powerful).

Oh, that's cool, thanks. I like that.

July 21, 2011 11:15:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice document.

I really like the research (such as wall of fire) and quest spells along with the books of death magic and life magic.

The ability to cast summoning spells in tactical situations is nice.

I would have liked to see a wider range of tactical spells and counter-spells.

Wind Walk (aka Teleportation) is available to all sovereigns and allows a player to teleport a 500 point army of 10,000+ men. I would have liked to see the core base teleport spell limited to teleporting heros and champions, with players able to research an Air (Wind Walk) spell to teleport armies. This would force players to research Air Magic if they wanted to teleport armies.

I would have also liked to see other books such as Enchantment and Illusion, along with a listing of summoning spells.

That said, my primary concern is will the AI sovereigns research and use magic? In EWOM the AI never used magic and this made for a most boring and predictable game where a good human player can win every battle using the same tactics.

July 21, 2011 11:35:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some potentially interesting magical combos - a few questions.

If shards are converted into death, do they revert back to before, or do they become life shards, or stay death if the territory is controlled by a different sovereign ? (i guess mainly kingdom vs empire territory change)

Are theree other mana shard conversion spells ? ( there don't have to be)

i suppose stat loss from spells is permanent since its a sacrifice, does the sovereign continue to gain xp for every fight performed by their armies so they still have level growth to pay for these spells ?

mana blast seems abusive if there is no max mana cap...

Do units that gain a stat boost keep the boost if the city enchantment spell dissapears ?

do you only need the spell when the unit spawns or for the whole training period ?

Why no smite mosquito spell ?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wC8_9aR_6uE/SwGgqteRj0I/AAAAAAAABuE/xDu5BJkqTKQ/s1600/mosquito_1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wC8_9aR_6uE/SwGgtV0D9VI/AAAAAAAABuM/_KZOMI_4UXQ/s1600/mosquito_bite1.png

July 21, 2011 11:59:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Woo, new dev journal. Thanks for the PDF!

Haven't read all the details of each spell yet but 90 unique spells is a very nice upgrade from WoM! One question I have is if casters will have the option of investing extra mana when casting spells to make them harder to resist / dispel / etc?

July 22, 2011 12:59:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There are definitely some awesome and original spells there. Magic seems like it something you can base your entire play style around now!

Quick question: How will intelligence factor into spells?

July 22, 2011 1:16:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Any chance of getting some counterspell type stuff? Something like the sorcery spellbooks from MOM.

July 22, 2011 2:07:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

SWEET! This is awesome! One thing I would like to see is more unique spell books that can be selected at the beginning. Maybe procipee should get one. In fact it would be cool if every (or almost every) channeler had at least one unique spell.

July 22, 2011 2:48:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have a question about the overkill quality of a spell.

These are obviously meant to be group killing spells, but were they designed this way to deal with the way units have been implemented ?

is it not possible to have a display in the gui of a 4 man unit with 4 health bars ? This is not a criticism, i'm just trying to figure some details - dunno how moddable the game would be, i would rather a 4 man unit have 4 health bars with 20 hp each who regen 2 hp a day for example rather than 1 health bar for the unit with 80 hp that regens 8 hp a day and deals less damge everytime it loses 20 hp

hmm, maybe i'm treading old ground here...

i still like the direction the magic is going in here, defineately a face lift on the game, looks good please keep it up.

(please open up gui modding) ok i tried to resist but i failed

July 22, 2011 3:01:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It would be fun if when firestorm is cast on a forest tile the fire would spread to adjacent forest tiles.

By the way, Slow is displayed as both a level 1 and level 2 water spell. I guess it shouldn't be level 2 since there are two other level 2 water spells in the document.

July 22, 2011 3:09:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For example, if an Earth Elemental is
summoned in tactical combat it only lasts for that battle.  If an Earth Elemental is
summoned on the world map then it stays with that army, but has a mana
maintenance cost that must be paid each turn.

I really like this.

I only noticed two summoning spells though...

Looks like the different elements will require different play styles as well, that is awesome if it actually works out. Combined with random researched spells it will make each game different. Love it, want to beta test it NOW!

July 22, 2011 3:22:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great update. After reading the pdf my impressions:

No interesting summons, just some uncreative elementals from their perspective schools.

Not  a whole lot of really different spells. The spells listed seem fine but nothing overly excites me when comparing this to the mom spell list.

It looks like a cookie-cutter spellbook from a general B-type fantasy game.

Don't get me wrong, I still am really excited with all the work you've done on the game but as a MOM veteran I was expecting a little bit more. I supposed cooler spells can be modded in afterwards anyway.

July 22, 2011 3:54:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some feedback that can be made without trying the spells:

Inferno is universal and the description says that it lasts for 30 turns. I guess this means 30 tactical turns, but how long does it last on the strategic map? 30 seasons feels quite a long time, especially if it has the same cost on both maps and no maintenance cost. I really feel these fire spells should be able to spread through a forest to make huge forest fires. That's what I call an interactive terrain.

Curgen's Volcano doesn't say anything about killing units. Will units be able to escape it? If not, is it an insta-kill for a sovereign?

Pull of the earth doesn't say if it's strategic or tactical, nor tells what its range is.

Is it harder to resist spells the more shards the caster has for the spell? Death magic seems weaker than life magic since death spells can be resisted.

Is growth really so much better than berserk to be a level 3 spell when berserk is level 1? Berserk can even be better on some occasions.

Does focus affect both casting and attacking? Is healing considered negative damaging, so does it heal twice as much as well? If you can guard to increase defense by not moving or attacking that turn, will it remove focus since it's an action?

Why does shockwave have a high mana cost? It seems to be much worse than other damaging spells. Is is just because it's an Earth spell so it's just a bad damaging spell for earth casters?

Description of Touch of Darkness is funny. Why does losing sanity mean losing constitution? Makes no sense to me.

Storm seems like a very poor spell for Level 4, being random for that little damage.

Steal spirit doesn't mention that the champion must be friendly.

July 22, 2011 4:14:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I disagree with Ahara to some extent. In my opinion the base spells are good. It's a bit heavy on the direct damage and buff/debuff, but I feel like it's fine for the base spellbooks to be somewhat similar.

But I also agree with him/her. More summons wouldn't hurt. The spells are distinctively missing nature spells, that call animals to the aid or make trees come to life and fight for you or make the forest protect you. Since there's a whole additional death spellbook, I feel it's strange that there is no other unique spellbooks.

I like the fact that all the really cool spells are quest or researchable spells.

After reading the journal entry, I wished that there would be some spells that only a certain champion can cast. Not whole spellbooks, but single spells for certain specific champions. Like a summon dragon spell for some dragon master that is very hard to find and get on your side.

I notice that there are no spells that enchant or create equipment. I find this strange.

There are also notably no terraforming spells except raise or lower land (plus volcano) and put it on fire (plus mud for tactical).

Seems like a good start. The basic spellbooks are just fine to me. Seem to be in a pretty good balance. The game could use more cool quest / research spells though. Most of all I miss nature spells. I like summoning bears and such.

EDIT: I guess some limitations will be set by the demands of AI being able to properly handle spellcasting.

July 22, 2011 4:36:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm waiting for "FE-Sounds and Music" diary...

July 22, 2011 4:45:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Love the spells and the artwork. 

July 22, 2011 7:35:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks pretty good.

The variety seems decent and I like the fact that there are quest and unique spells.

The artwork also is fantastic. A+ job there.

I do miss nature spells though. As mentioned by others, I like summoning bears, wolves, treants etc.

I suppose that could be modded in of course. Perhaps a "Druidish" type character could then be made.

Other than that, it looks like it'll be fun. As long as the AI can handle it of course.

July 22, 2011 7:41:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Take a look at Kings Bounty and the Phoenix and Fire dragon summons. Only one (of each) can be in the battle at one time. They are only summoned and last for the current battle. The Phoenix will wake up to life the round after it is killed if possible (noone is occupying the space). This wake up happen only once. The Fire dragon will damage units in the cells adjacent to where it is summoned. The first time its hitpoints reaches 0, it is reset to 1 hitpoint. That means that the enemy must waste another attack to remove it. Great stuff.

Thanks for the PDF.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: