Dropbox policy change- this may have real implications for Stardock as a company.

By on July 2, 2011 4:37:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Alstein

Join Date 07/2004
+54

http://jdsawyer.net/2011/07/02/put-it-in-the-cloud-are-you-nuts/

Since Stardock encourages the use of Dropbox in their betas, this may have some legal implications for Stardock, unlikely but possible.

Might be a good idea for Stardock to develop their own version of the service, maybe as part of their application side.  I would pay a small amount for such a service.

Locked Post 6 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 10, 2011 4:26:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you for posting this, I used dropbox solely for my elemental mods and don't check the email associated with it often.

July 11, 2011 11:45:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Apparently they changed the policy recently, but I didn't see what to.

July 12, 2011 9:09:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Might be a good idea for Stardock to develop their own version of the service, maybe as part of their application side. I would pay a small amount for such a service.

Me too. Thanks for the post, Alstein.

July 12, 2011 9:20:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Now that the rage has died down a little, supposedly their policy changes were because they have to have the right to copy material since that's what their service does (copies your files to a cluster).

July 12, 2011 2:09:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So much has been written back and forth about it who knows what to believe.  I don't keep anything sensitive on there, so it really doesn't bother me.  It's still the easiest to use.

July 14, 2011 4:52:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The original language change read like they had ownership of the copyright of anything posted there (so they could resell it commercially and not compensate you). Now the revised version makes clear they have a right to copy anything you post between their servers for the purpose of providing the service, but NOT copyright ownership.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000062   Page Render Time: