Can we please get a dev journal on the new magic system in EFE?

By on June 15, 2011 2:33:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trojasmic

Join Date 04/2006
+40

thx!

Locked Post 12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 17, 2011 3:43:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm bumping this because I completely agree.

What would be even more awesome is if you could post a sample XML entry from one of the spells so that we can get a jump on modding.

June 20, 2011 10:16:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Soon. (is it just me or does that smiley seem a little crazy?)
June 20, 2011 10:21:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Agree. I'm not really a fan.

Jon

June 20, 2011 10:33:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

He looks really happy to me, but not quite as much as this guy

I like the smilies here, they're almost as good as the pre-2011 Windows Messenger ones.

June 20, 2011 11:16:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,
Soon.

(is it just me or does that smiley seem a little crazy?)
I've said that for years.

It's creepy. With it's watching, soulless, piercing stare.

June 21, 2011 3:44:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I must concur. I always thought that the smilie was a little disturbing.

An update on magic would be nice when you get the time.

E:FE is looking great. ^^

July 12, 2011 6:45:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Obligatory bi-monthly bump.

July 12, 2011 6:56:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here's hoping that the lack of dev sharing doesn't mean the same lack of dev time that magic received in WoM.

And yes, the orange smilies all look like they've been on some sort of excessive self-medication regime. I pay click overhead for the classics.   

July 12, 2011 8:24:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I kind of don't get this; they've been very short on specifics of gameplay and function, without any real reason to be so obtuse.  EWOM's been out for a year now, almost, and while the game mechanics may be changing for EFE, I don't think the game engine is changing substantively from EWOM.  While there were some minor criticisms of artistic style, I don't think EWOM really suffered for its engine.  Mechanics, however, were a different story, and where a lot of loss of credibility occured during the days leading up to release.  There really wasn't a lot of information being delivered at that point, just a "oh, you haven't seen the latest build, it's different, don't worry".  We're kind of in the same boat now, where not a lot of communication is occuring, just little hype of "oh, just you wait and see, you'l be impressed".  While I understand the need for some companies to play that game, I don't see it in Stardock's best interest to do so.  There's a credibility gap, and I would think they would want to be filling that gap with more information about the new release, not less.  Being obtuse at this point smacks of ego, not trust, communication, and engagement with us, the community.  It's frustrating.

July 12, 2011 8:28:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Winnihym,
There's a credibility gap, and I would think they would want to be filling that gap with more information about the new release, not less. Being obtuse at this point smacks of ego, not trust, communication, and engagement with us, the community. It's frustrating.

I think that it's PR-related. They know that it's important for public excitement to peak as the game goes on sale. I'd imagine that their hands are tied by a schedule of some sort as far as the release of info goes.

But it's not like that's going to keep me from asking "Are we there yet?" every couple weeks.

July 13, 2011 6:00:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I dunno, LoA, I hear your words, but it seems a little odd to me.  They're releasing digital only, most likely through Impulse only.  I think that the majority of folks who will initially get the game will do so for free due to the Stardock policy regarding EWoM and EFE; initial sales are likely to be sluggish, as there's little info on the game, and there's some concern over the predecessor.  It's the credibility gap again; I think if the game gets good review from those who have it and review it, and positive buzz ensues, then they're likely to make money on EFE.  If the buzz is poor, it's likely to be the end of the elemental franchise.  The majority of the initial buzz is likely to come from those who have and play the game for free, namely this community.  I realize there will likely be a PR effort in the next few months, but I'm still frustrated at the lack of communication that this community has seen.   It's a standard practice in the industry to play cards close to the chest, I'm just not sure it's a wise practice in this case, where they're working uphill to positive buzz.  Small, steady engagement usually ends up with better long term support than a sudden media blitz right before release.

Of course, that having been said, it's not my game, or my company.  The choice is, of course, theirs to make about how to handle release of information.  Being honest with myself, part of my frustration stems from having put a lot of what I consider to be good ideas out into this forum, and have had them garner relatively little attention.  So, I'm interested in seeing what ideas actually did make it into the game.

July 14, 2011 4:48:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Winnihym,
I kind of don't get this; they've been very short on specifics of gameplay and function, without any real reason to be so obtuse.  EWOM's been out for a year now, almost, and while the game mechanics may be changing for EFE, I don't think the game engine is changing substantively from EWOM.  While there were some minor criticisms of artistic style, I don't think EWOM really suffered for its engine.  Mechanics, however, were a different story, and where a lot of loss of credibility occured during the days leading up to release.  There really wasn't a lot of information being delivered at that point, just a "oh, you haven't seen the latest build, it's different, don't worry".  We're kind of in the same boat now, where not a lot of communication is occuring, just little hype of "oh, just you wait and see, you'l be impressed".  While I understand the need for some companies to play that game, I don't see it in Stardock's best interest to do so.  There's a credibility gap, and I would think they would want to be filling that gap with more information about the new release, not less.  Being obtuse at this point smacks of ego, not trust, communication, and engagement with us, the community.  It's frustrating.

If you're asking me, one of the biggest problems with WoM's development was bad expectations. Nobody had any idea what to expect because stuff keep getting posted here by Frogboy and then changing completely later.

Remember back when WoM had RTS combat?

Remember the talk about highly sophisticated per-town Economic and trade models?

Remember the talk about MP private servers for modding?

Hell, remember python scripting in modding?

The problem is that stuff was talked about publically before it was locked down, so things were shifting a lot. At the end of the day, people like me who'd been here since more or less the beginning had absolutely no idea what to expect out of the game.

If you contrast that style with what Derek's been posting, he seems a lot more conservative. He doesn't talk about as much stuff. But when Derek says "X will be in FE", the result of that conservatism is that I feel a lot more confident that what he says will actually happen. You mentioned a credibility problem, and I agree that there ended up being one. To me, only talking about stuff that's actually going to happen is an attempt to be credible with the community.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: