War of Magic: v1.29 beta log

By on June 7, 2011 11:29:51 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491

It’s looking possible that this week will see the first beta of War of Magic v1.3.  v1.3 is the most significant gameplay changes since the game launched.

We are anticipating having 3 beta phases of it. v1.29 (this build) will introduce most (though not all) the coding changes. v1.29a will being introducing the balance changes and the AI overhaul. And v1.29b and on will be polishing, bug fixing, and tweaking.

Here’s what is in the v1.29 build:

Brad

Elemental: War of Magic v1.29

Change Log

+ AI more reactive about updating strategy when a target city has been conquered / destroyed
+ Janusk has been removed.  Goodbye old friend. See you in the Fallen Enchantress tutorial...
+ AI now evaluates which player they care about the most with Dynasty ties being a big motivator. When a sovereign dies, it will give its kingdom to its heir.
+ Repeatable improvements now increase with cost as more are built.
+ World difficulty now sets the default AI player difficulty
+ Modders can set the base cost of repeatable improvements in the appropriate .xml file
+ Base unit CON reduced from 5 to 3
+ Special buildings now longer required to build special units. Instead, these buildings provide bonuses (i.e. no need for a command post to train groups)
+ Minimum number of units you can train has been increased to 4.
+ Trained units default HP reduced from 5 to 1
+ Trained unit groups that survive a battle will heal to full strength (i.e. If your group of 4 survives the battle with 1 guy left, it will be replenished to 4 over time). Hat tip to Konan.
+ Insufficient free tiles message added
+ Zone of control from improvements reduced
+ Tech costs increased
+ Number of starting quest locations increased
+ Pedastrians disabled (for now)
+ More aggressively freeing memory
+ Notable locations may now be explored regardless of your level.
+ Notable locations will be spawned NEAR you when you increase your exploration level (but now remember, your opponents can access them too so don't do it if you're surrounded)
+ Objects that have been marked as destroyed are now ignore by subsystems (performance improvement, stability improvement) This is throughout all game systems.
+ LOTS of code to handle the increasing costs in terms of people to run your improvements. If anyone thinks that getting highly talented people remains equally easy as you grow, ask google, microsot or apple about that. It's not.
+ Random events added (not many random events yet though)
+ Pioneers are still trained as individuals
+ Units move faster by default on the map (animation-wise)
+ Units move A LOT faster in tactical battle (let us know if it's too fast)
+ Minor factions removed. Sorry guys, they're just too lame to live for now.
+ New notable locations added to provide weapons, armor, and other "stuff"

IF it makes the window for this week, it will be Thursday evening EST. 

Update: We've staged the beta build but QA wants to give it more of a go so it won't be publicly available until tomorrow afternoon EST at the earliest.

Cheers!

Locked Post 89 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 7, 2011 11:33:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Perhaps I'll have to boot the game again.

June 7, 2011 11:35:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

w00t! 

June 7, 2011 11:37:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+ Janusk has been removed.  Goodbye old friend. See you in the Fallen Enchantress tutorial...

*sniff*

June 7, 2011 11:40:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks interesting to me. 

June 7, 2011 11:43:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hehe, that's just after my last exam. Looking forward to it.

June 7, 2011 11:46:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm curious to see how notable locations function now. There are some high-level huts that you can't really find early game without unbalancing the rest of the game (600 gildar comes to mind).

Edit: Ah... I guess the high-level huts spawn when you increase your tech. The only difference is you can take any hut now, no matter the level.

June 7, 2011 11:53:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
I'm curious to see how notable locations function now. There are some high-level huts that you can't really find early game without unbalancing the rest of the game (600 gildar comes to mind).

The high level huts don't show up early game. They only show up wyen someone researches the tech. Hence, you gotta be careful that you're going to be able explore them.

June 7, 2011 11:54:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

+ AI now evaluates which player they care about the most with Dynasty ties being a big motivator. When a sovereign dies, it will give its kingdom to its heir.

This is fantastic.  I know they removed the dynasty part from Fallen Enchantress, but I hope some type of heir system still remains. 

June 7, 2011 12:47:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

I'm still really struggling with this one.  What makes these little guys so difficult?  We all loved the minor factions in Gal Civ and loved them in the pre-release beta of EWOM.  Give these little guys a giant protector monster and a cool shop or trade resource you can't find anywhere else and call it a day.

June 7, 2011 12:55:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Trojasmic,

quoting post

I'm still really struggling with this one.  What makes these little guys so difficult?  We all loved the minor factions in Gal Civ and loved them in the pre-release beta of EWOM.  Give these little guys a giant protector monster and a cool shop or trade resource you can't find anywhere else and call it a day.

I agree. Gimme minors. They are not lame at all!!

June 7, 2011 1:07:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Trojasmic,

quoting post

I wasn't a fan of minors even in GCII.  SD has never given them the proper love.  I've suggested real changes before, but was told they'd overpower them, but they should have the potential to become majors- that's interesting.

June 7, 2011 1:08:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Brad! Thx for great news!

BTW, Multiplayer work public release , or beta ?

I'd like to play FFA multiplayer game with my friends and VC !

June 7, 2011 1:20:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Crossing my fingers this makes it out on Thursday night.  I have already booked gaming time on the home computer in anticipation of putting 1.29 through the paces.

June 7, 2011 1:30:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Guess that means I'll have to put Woodcutter Simulator on the back burner after Thursday. More fun than a barrel of sawdust.

June 7, 2011 1:52:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

All in all, I'd say this looks pretty positive.  Can't wait to give the new version a test drive.  Thanks to all.

June 7, 2011 2:13:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Fantastic news!!!

I do have a question about this:

How will it work?

From my experience, the only time I have seen a Sov die is in their own territory and usually when the last city falls.

Will the AI Sovs be moving out of their territory more now?

Thanks

June 7, 2011 2:21:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+ Trained units default HP reduced from 5 to 1

*whistles.

Frogboy, Are the training times getting reduced for units? I think a lower training time for groups combined with this change will really give an "epic" feel.

I am also curious if "Death Worshiping" and "Brave" are being changed. A 5 or 10% bonus to health won't mean squat if your base health is 1.

Looking forward to the beta Thursday.

Jec

June 7, 2011 3:27:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please explain in greater detail, does this mean that when a sovereign dies whoever is married to his heir gets the kingdom or what....

+ Pedastrians disabled (for now)

wha?

+ Repeatable improvements now increase with cost as more are built.

Hopefully all resources and not just pop.

June 7, 2011 3:37:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, some really big change and some really good one. I hope it will be fine

June 7, 2011 4:09:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I don't want to be the guy who spits into the cauldron, and I know it's "just the beginning", but I honestly expected more changes to the tactical combat. It's the core of the game, and without spicing it up, the game will be always lacking something.

June 7, 2011 5:11:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks like lots of performance related enhancements with memory and such. 

Minor factions will probably come back at a latter time once they get some of the primary engines running how they want.  It would be a waste of time to code the ai for how a faction works if it has to be redone each time there is a change to base game elements (like the population and improvement changes).  They also probably want to work out something to make them have more relevance as the last time Id ran into one it was mostly just in the way of my access to some resources and the best option was just to wipe it out.  Perhaps after they get a little more shine on the diplomacy.

Tactical combat would probably fall into the same boat more or less.  The performance enhancements freeing up more memory will make it easier for them to polish the tac combat and other elements easier by giving them more space to work with.

It should be interesting to see the effect of faction turnover to the npc and player alike.  Ill reserve judgement untill I see it in action, but im hoping that when the player is about to be slain that you could get the option to surrender and then play under the purview of the npc's edicts.  Potentially using diplomatic capital or other resources to regain control (either thru hostile or non-hostile takeover from within by instigating a coup or assasination).  Im also curious of how gaining all their resources and policies (debts/costs) will play out- or if there is no heir instead of disappearing the towns could stay and work as independant minor factions(self sustain but not build- ie making x number of defensive units per number of population for city guard vs. monsters) that wouldn't expand or build new structures (perhaps with exeption of walls or the afore mentioned defences).

June 7, 2011 6:39:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm going to wait until 1.3 is ready, I don't feel the need to add my input any more until then.  But, I am hopeful that this becomes a game I play over and over and over again.

June 7, 2011 8:57:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

major problem, as in my most recent games, the ONLY faction that had kids that my kids could marry WAS a minor faction, all the majors did not have any kids.

harpo

June 7, 2011 8:59:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quite a mixed bag. Mostly good things, I think, but sorry to hear Janusk is gone. He helped me out a lot with my income tax. He will be missed (well, Im probably the only one who thinks that).

June 7, 2011 11:08:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Have had the game almost 3 weeks now and am having a good time, i'm not used to how it all plays out now, but the 1.0 to 1.2a is nice!

Looking forward to seeing 1.29 and the changes.

-Teal

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: