Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Fallen Enchantress: The World

By on May 31, 2011 7:50:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Derek Paxton

Join Date 03/2003
+128

There are 3 primary focuses for Fallen Enchantress; Tactical Combat, Magic and the World.  You may have seen our latest developer journal on the world.  If not you can check it out here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/elementalwarofmagicfallenenchantress/video/6315008/elemental-fallen-enchantress--video-diary

Our goal is to make exploring the world dangerous, interesting and valuable.  The more information you gather about what is around you and where you should be expanding, the better you are.  You can find resources (which benefit your empire and are all available from the beginning), go on quests (which benefit your champions, more about this later), find new champions, kill off opposing champions (hmm…. we will need a dev journal on champions soon), discover monster lairs, fight wandering monsters for experience and uncover unique locations and wildlands.

Wildlands are special areas with unique conditions to clear them.  In the above we see the Burning Lands.  Delin the Pyre of Man is an Elemental Lord.  He was first witnessed when he rose out of the ashes of Anniellum, where 200,000 perished when a volcano exploded during the cataclysm.  He remains in the region surrounded by various fire creatures.  To clear the Burning Lands Delin must be killed.

We also have the Ruins of the Imperium, the Pits of Namtur, the Lombard Desert and many more.  The Ruins can only be conquered if a player founds a city within the ruins (and receives a significant perk for doing so).  The Pits are a wide range of caves which could hold treasure or creatures, all of them have to be explored to clear the area.  The Pits aren’t “aggressive” (they don’t spawn monsters) unlike most of the other wildland areas, we really wanted each wildland area to behave differently.

The Lombard Desert is only cleared when a player discovers the library at it depths.  There may be an elemental lord wandering the dessert, but defeating him isn’t required to conquer the area.

We also have unique locations.  The Temple of the Dragon is a unique location, guarded by a unique red dragon and allows the player to recruit red dragons if it is controlled.  The Pillar of Mascrinthus counts as 3 earth shards and Iru T'Alavar significantly increases the rate nearby cities grow.

And we have monster lairs.  I always hated that you couldn’t have big scary monsters in the game from the beginning, now we do.  Dragons are fairly rare, but there may be a lair or two out there.  Darkling and bandit camps are more common along with bear dens, ogre lairs, troll caves, places infested with spiders and shrill.  These are especially common in forests and swamps.

Monsters typically won’t leave their lairs, so it’s up to the player to decide if he wants to attack them or not.  The exception is that if a player’s influence spread over a monster lair, that monster is freed.  So it’s fine to have a dragon living over a hill from your empire.  But if you plant a city down beside him, don’t expect it to last for long.

Wandering monsters that are more appropriate to the player’s power still exist (and they get tougher depending on how long the game has gone on, not based on the techs discovered) and eventually can spawn ogres, umberdroths and dragons.  But in the beginning expect to see less powerful monsters wandering around and the more powerful in lairs.

Beyond providing experience, treasure and allowing the player to clear the area so he can plant cities monster lairs have another purpose.  With the correct technologies some lairs can be claimed by some factions.  The fallen can recruit darklings, mercenaries, ogres and fell dragons from captured lairs and camps.  The amount they can recruit depends on the amount of camps you control.  For example every dragon monster lair leaves behind a dragon lair that the empire can build an improvement on to recruit fell dragons (the kingdom factions can build an improvement on the same tile to recruit storm dragons).  But the amount is limited based on how many camps the player controls.  One dragon lair means the player can recruit one fell dragon.  One ogre camp means the player can recruit 3 ogres.  This allows us to make the monsters unique and a little overpowered, since we know the player can’t mass produce them.  And also maintains some of their uniqueness (we don’t want an empire suddenly fielding massive ogre armies because they have one camp).

52 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 31, 2011 8:25:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow first, and also, sounds very very good, keep up the good work, awesome

May 31, 2011 8:30:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yay!

May 31, 2011 8:36:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Questions:

will wildlands be creatable by players?  I think that might be user-generated content that would expand the game, but I can see if being difficult to do.

On the camps: do the limit on the dragons/camps replenish if a monster is killed? 

One idea, have camps upgradable with tech to produce more ogres/etc.  Not guaranteed with every game.

May 31, 2011 8:41:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,
Questions:

will wildlands be creatable by players?  I think that might be user-generated content that would expand the game, but I can see if being difficult to do.

Yes, modders can create wildlands areas as stamps in the map editor.  And you are right, it was difficult for us to do it like this, but worth it to get modders this functionality.

Quoting Alstein,
On the camps: do the limit on the dragons/camps replenish if a monster is killed?

Yes, they currently replenish if the monster is killed (you can recruit another dragon if your first one dies).  As with all things this is dependant on playtesting.

Quoting Alstein,
One idea, have camps upgradable with tech to produce more ogres/etc.  Not guaranteed with every game.

We don't currently have this, it is an interesting idea, I may steal it.  we currently has a tech that has the recruited monsters start at a higher level, but you idea is a good one too.

May 31, 2011 8:49:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

YES!

May 31, 2011 8:51:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This all sounds great!

Question about the wildlands; does it stay a 'wildland' after it's been cleared/captured? What I mean is, does it remain a distinct area, or does it turn into generic land once cleared?

May 31, 2011 9:03:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, this looks good. I especially like the captured lairs as an upper limit on recruiting strong creatures. Also, having modding access to the wildlands is absolutely fantastic and very much appreciated. I can't wait to get my hands on this.

May 31, 2011 9:55:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow you guys certainly are crafting a masterpiece there!

May 31, 2011 10:04:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow sounds awesome. No lie all these mechanics are amazing.

May 31, 2011 10:35:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very interesting! We've heard a lot about the world of Fallen Enchantress before, but I think this is the most in-depth we've gotten into the mechanics behind the aesthetics. I'm loving the depth and individuality that each area is demonstrating, especially the fact that not every wildland is cleared via "fight to the center - kill the boss." Awesome.

I am left with a couple of questions, though. When wildlands are "conquered/cleared," does that just mean neutralized, or are they in some way claimed by the victorious faction? If the Elemental Lord of the Lombard Desert isn't killed when the wildland is cleared, what happens to him? And regarding monster lair recruitment (which is very, very awesome), does every monster lair provide recruitment possibilities for both kingdoms and empires? It doesn't sound like it. I wonder if the Fallen will have more opportunities in the monster recruitment race.

Keep up the great work, Team Stardock!

May 31, 2011 10:56:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't know if this has been covered before, but will the Burning Lands, and etc (those special wild lands) be available in every game?  Or is it random, so one game you get the Earth elemental lair, another time, both Earth, Air, and Fire, and another time, none?  Or will all 4 (and others) be there every game?

This looks very very good... can't wait for 1.3 to come out so I can playtest FE...

May 31, 2011 11:34:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes! The wildlands look awesome! And from the video, the land looks way better too! Even beautiful!

As the others have asked, will they vanish into thin air once defeated, or remain like that until they land into our influence? And once they do, would it be like a burning lands with green?

Also, if I set a town right next to them, will the influence change them, or is the magic corruption THAT high?

How big they are? Are they huge? Or just as seen above? A valley of death? So many questions... so much time to wait for Fe! (But it will be worth it, no rushing it guys! We can survive a few more months than expected. )

Will some of this get into WoM? I know it is going in another direction, but a few things could be added from FE...

Hope to see more soon!

June 1, 2011 3:51:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yay, sounds fantastic!

I want this game now!

June 1, 2011 4:01:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

June 1, 2011 4:44:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,

Yes, modders can create wildlands areas as stamps in the map editor.  And you are right, it was difficult for us to do it like this, but worth it to get modders this functionality.

Yes! Omg yes!

The more I hear about FE the more sure I am that it will be a classic.

Question: Unique locations. Are they like dungeon crawls or are they just an instant TC battle?

June 1, 2011 4:58:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Had a thought triggered by "Wandering monsters that are more appropriate to the player’s power still exist (and they get tougher depending on how long the game has gone on, not based on the techs discovered) and eventually can spawn ogres, umberdroths and dragons"

It always sort of bugged me that spawned monsters just magically got tougher as the game progressed - why would they?  But I had a thought.  What if there are a fixed number of dragons in the world (not the world contained by the map - the great wide world).  What do dragons eat?  Darklings, ogres, innocent bystanders, guilty bystanders and their mothers.  But the thought went, the more of the soft, juicy and tasty little monsters (and people) are in the game map, the more likely it would be for dragons (and other big nasty monsters) from the wider-world to migrate to where you are chasing the plentiful food.

Does that make a difference to how the game plays?  Not necessarily, but it could.  You could do things like if a darkling camp exists for too long and spawns too many darklings, it has a chance of attracting a dragon, upgrading the darkiling camp to a dragon lair.  Or something.  Gives you an incentive for keeping the rodents under control (or letting them breed as bait )

June 1, 2011 5:02:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really like seeing that FE is going to be slightly less "civ" like, and more RPG-like. It really draws on the strengths of Elemental as a setting.

June 1, 2011 5:24:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Teslacrashed,
I really like seeing that FE is going to be slightly less "civ" like, and more RPG-like. It really draws on the strengths of Elemental as a setting.

I agree strongly with this statement. I very much enjoy the civ element, but for me a big part of the fantasy setting is the heroes and the RPG style elements. Brilliant dev journal and I'm very pleased that the wildlands are going to be moddable. Keep up the good work!

June 1, 2011 5:32:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is defately the way to do it. Great designing there.

I’d like it if the diplomacy techs removed the need for fighting some monsters altogether though. Those who use diplomacy to beat a lair would have to pay a “tribute” in gold per turns, but would be able to recruit more of the monsters, while those who defeated the monsters would not have to pay but would get fewer and more expensive creatures. That would be an interesting player and gameplay choice between living with the land and enslaving it.

The tech would be necessary to use the lair, but if you got it before the monster entered your influence you'd be able to tae the more "sustainable" option.

June 1, 2011 5:47:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like this idea Sethai!   Like (both the "enjoy" meaning and the "similar to" meaning ) the option between fighting and talking your way around an obstacle in pure RPGs or games like Deus Ex.

Best regards,
Steven.

June 1, 2011 6:30:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How will savage lands interact with terraforming? Will there be terraforming spells that can limit the effects of some of these lands, or even cause wild lands to exist where they previously didn't? That would be awesome, but I know a lot of interactivity is likely to be limited by the variety that these have.

June 1, 2011 6:50:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ArcElement2002,
I don't know if this has been covered before, but will the Burning Lands, and etc (those special wild lands) be available in every game?  Or is it random, so one game you get the Earth elemental lair, another time, both Earth, Air, and Fire, and another time, none?  Or will all 4 (and others) be there every game?

This looks very very good... can't wait for 1.3 to come out so I can playtest FE...

Part of the reason I was asking about the modding is that the wildlands shouldn't be avaliable in every game, it should be random, and I think there needs to be so many possibilities, that no two games have the same wildlands.  They shouldn't be something that you plan a strategy around at the start.  My thought line was that after FE is released, having wildlands and other features moddable would free up developer time for the adding of new features over the adding of new wildlands.  Stuff like this tends to be what separates very good games from masterpieces, and since SD is aiming for a masterpiece, you gotta plan for such.

That said, I do think as a creation option, you should be able to pick which wildlands are in your game, if you want to go that route also, or which ones can be in your game, if you think some are OP.  That will be a bit of work though also.  (and mostly of use for MP folks)

June 1, 2011 7:57:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,

always thought the stamp system was a bit... underused for E:wom, hehe.

I just hope they're dynamically placed at the generation of each new map. But I sort of assume yes.

June 1, 2011 8:35:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ZOMG !!!

I totally love this ! I'm such in a hurry to put my hands on this title !!! It seems more and more awesome !!! I love the different areas and what I could already see in the videos.

I'm in a hurry to see more about Magic too, I think the way Magic works and the kind of spells / effects that goes with it is what will really decide me to buy the game even if the world and creatures seems pretty great right now ! And a couple Mass Destruction spells too !  I"m really hoping for some rain of fire, wall of flames(maybe around the city as an enchantment)... and whatever could be more usefull (MoM / AoW style)

Will there be any change to the units system? Will mounts give units more advantages than in WoM ?

June 1, 2011 8:45:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds good in theory. Can't wait to see it in practice.

FE sounds like it might just finally pry me away from civ IV, Went back to playing/modding it after Giving up on Ewom. (latest custom mod has forests = wood resource, its a pretty radical idea for civ but its pretty neat. and balances chop rushing nicely, chop for instant hammers or harvest wood for resource and +1 hammer for 30 turns decisions decisions)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000937   Page Render Time: