Any awesome RTS out there?

By on May 14, 2011 1:24:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ArcElement2002

Join Date 04/2010
+4

I was looking around for new RTS, but not much seems to fit the bill, at least for me.  I was wondering if anyone had any idea of any upcoming, or maybe even released RTS games out there.

In particular, I am fond of the Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander (original) and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, due to the simplicity of the economics (just mass/metal and energy) and massive scale and grand strategy-ish.  I like to fool around and explore different avenues of attack and just have fun.

The reason I am not playing those games right now is because I've gotten used to the zoom of Supreme Commander and going back is hard... and the two Supreme Commander games have too much of a performance hit on my computer.

I would have picked up Shogun 2, except I prefer the skirmish modes of the games I mentioned above, instead of the campaign-like... well, campaign where many rules (such as location and distance of enemies) are already set, limiting different strategies.

And Starcraft 2 seems too intense for me.

Thanks for reading, any help would be great 

Locked Post 61 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 15, 2011 1:56:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting tetleytea,

I couldn't get past the third level (following his path) on the Alexander the Great campaign. 

The Greek campaign is actually the hardest.  Do it last.  I think diplomacy played a critical factor in that one, because there were so many computer players.

Napoleon was just gobs of fun.   Do that one first instead.

Well, I couldn't establish a proper base in that third level, and that was before beating Persia and possibly annoying other players.  I don't see *how* I could get started at all in that third mission, even if I used all my cards.  They (the Persians) seem to always have too many troops and attack too early for my meager starting troops, and too many War Elephants for my liking (or my troops).

Anyway, I'll take your advice and try the Napolean campaign.

Best regards,
Steven.

May 15, 2011 3:30:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Almost forgot about this one.

Hegemony Ancient Greek Battles.

Its an indie game but is very well done.

May 15, 2011 9:04:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Darvin3,

This has been changed in successive patches, although now players complain the AI is a little too bloodthirsty and will throw itself into fights it has absolutely no chance of winning.  But hey, it's an AI, it's never going to be perfect.

Awesome, great to know, I'll give it another shot!  I don't mind it smashing itself to bits against my army... I like winning 

Lots of suggestions to look over, thanks a lot everyone!

May 15, 2011 9:35:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't mind it smashing itself to bits against my army... I like winning

It gets a little bit comical when the AI sends its fleet against a starbase, gets thoroughly slaughtered without destroying the starbase, builds a new fleet of the same size then sends it to meet exactly the same fate.

May 16, 2011 2:26:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Indeed, I was once in a skirmish at Random - Small as the Vasari verse a Normal TEC AI a few weeks ago, and I did something I had never done before in my short time in the Areolian Sector, deploy the awesome power of an offensive Orkulus Starbase. The starbase secured the system and lasted against several waves of fleets, including numerous Ogrov Torpedo Cruisers, before being destroyed; had I came to its aid faster it would have survived. The AI, like many AIs before it, can't handle fortifications, especially when those fortifications are supported by an army or a fleet.

May 16, 2011 2:36:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
Well, I couldn't establish a proper base in that third level, and that was before beating Persia and possibly annoying other players. I don't see *how* I could get started at all in that third mission, even if I used all my cards. They (the Persians) seem to always have too many troops and attack too early for my meager starting troops, and too many War Elephants for my liking (or my troops).

Anyway, I'll take your advice and try the Napolean campaign.

Best regards,
Steven.

My favorite RoN campaign was the Cold War. Practically every mission is custom instead of randomly generated maps, the spy missions are especially fun (though not always easy, it may take you a couple of attempts), and you have several ways of winning (nukes, conventional warfare or economic).

May 17, 2011 6:50:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wouldn't suggest C&C4... it strays too much from the basis that made Command and Conquer what it is and was as a game series. I was rather disappointed when I got the game EA completely destroyed a good series with one game. Campaign was... how should I say... short and it seemed like they went through it too quickly, and not that I don't mind multiplayer which is the whole reason behind the game change... yeah... if you sacrifice other areas of a game just for multiplayer you need to rethink your base plans for a game because that's a real good way to miff off the player base who's been following the game series for years.

I only got the game because it was 10 bucks on impluse lol and had to see for myself... yeah... worst 10 bucks I've spent ever. The game didn't draw me in and want me to keep playing like all the other C&C games I've gotten in the past and that's a serious red flag for a gamer when a game doesn't peak your interest and make you stay up playing the game for hours on end.

So now I myself am searching for a good RTS that'll wet my appetite and stem my RTS hunger for the time being

May 17, 2011 8:37:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AI wars, really, seriously, was it even mentioned?

August 9, 2011 10:17:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kamamura_CZ,
AI wars, really, seriously, was it even mentioned?

+1 for AI War: Alien Bundle

Its similar to Sins in that it is a RTS however its much deeper and you have  to plan your actions carefully as the AI reacts to your every move.

August 10, 2011 10:43:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SupCom 2 has amazing multiplayer, and a stupid single player.

+1 for Sins on all fronts.

August 10, 2011 1:09:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AI War is great for the price.

August 10, 2011 5:27:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

europa universalis 3

hearts of iron 3

vicky 2

and the other paradox strategy titles.

August 11, 2011 3:44:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you still own a copy of C&C3, there is a red alert 2 mod that is 80% finished. 

August 19, 2011 7:12:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What do you mean, seanw3?

August 21, 2011 7:49:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My favorite RoN campaign was the Cold War.

That's what everybody says, but I actually liked Napoleon campaign better.  I liked all the diplomacy, and playing your cards right.  I had to bump up the difficulty, though.  Alexander the Great campaign was the toughest, but really I thought that was because people probably play that first, when they should be playing it last.  I put it off till last and didn't have that hard a time of it when I did.

February 14, 2012 4:54:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you are so much fond of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander series, then you should try the 'little brother' of TA, called Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. However, keep in mind that it has a very different setting compared with the robotic-styled units of TA and SupCom, since it is a medieval fantasy RTS, and its gameplay is quite different too. However, I trully believe TA:K is the best rts around and if you give it a serious gameplay you will fell in love with it!

Other good rts games of this style:

EARTH series, Dark Reign: The Future of War, Ground Controll, Zteel Soldiers.

February 15, 2012 11:44:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ARTHANASIOS,
If you are so much fond of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander series, then you should try the 'little brother' of TA, called Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. However, keep in mind that it has a very different setting compared with the robotic-styled units of TA and SupCom, since it is a medieval fantasy RTS, and its gameplay is quite different too. However, I trully believe TA:K is the best rts around and if you give it a serious gameplay you will fell in love with it!

Other good rts games of this style:

EARTH series, Dark Reign: The Future of War, Ground Controll, Zteel Soldiers.

Dude, have you checked the graphics of TA:K for the last 10 years??   It looks like shit!   Just look at it!!

Can't BELIEVE this game came out after StarCraft....TA:K looks like Warlords BattleCry II!

February 16, 2012 12:56:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Campaigner,

Dude, have you checked the graphics of TA:K for the last 10 years??   It looks like shit!   Just look at it!!

Can't BELIEVE this game came out after StarCraft....TA:K looks like Warlords BattleCry II!

Warlords Battlecry was my favorite RTS series of all time.  I am so incredibly sad that it won't run on Windows 7, and that I don't have an XP-enabled computer to continue summoning hordes of demons and faeries to slaughter everything.  I will, however, give you that it looks like crap, but don't let bad appearances turn you off of a good game.

February 16, 2012 6:31:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't get why Warlords Battlecry and TA:Kingdoms looks like shit. First of all, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms has excellent looking 2D backrounds and 3D units with an excellent animation for its time. Starcraft has 2D graphics, so it is lower than TA:Kingdoms in graphical technology.

By the way, who serious RTS player would judge a game by its cover? The fact you made a comment just to say how awful the GRAPHICS (and not the gameplay or something) are, it shows your lowly intelligent level. Sorry if I am insulting you right now, but this is a fact dude...

February 16, 2012 11:04:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ARTHANASIOS,
I don't get why Warlords Battlecry and TA:Kingdoms looks like shit.

First of all, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms has excellent looking 2D backrounds and 3D units with an excellent animation for its time. Starcraft has 2D graphics, so it is lower than TA:Kingdoms in graphical technology.

....Seriously, do you know what you're typing??

"Excellent looking 2D backgrounds" <--- No, it's not "excellent looking". AT.ALL. What makes you think it has "excellent looking" 2D backgrounds?

What difference does it make if TA:K have 3D units and StarCraft have 2D units?   Cause I don't see the difference.

And as to why you don't get why the Warlords BattleCry II and TA:K look bad....

Because they do:

That was TA:K.

Now for Warlords BattleCry II:

I have to say that WBC II look much better than TA:K and that's because of the units. The backgrounds are the same. Or actually they're worse in TA:K due to the green/brown mix in the 2nd screenshot 

Quoting ARTHANASIOS,

By the way, who serious RTS player would judge a game by its cover? The fact you made a comment just to say how awful the GRAPHICS (and not the gameplay or something) are, it shows your lowly intelligent level. Sorry if I am insulting you right now, but this is a fact dude...

Graphics are the first thing you see. And there are so many goodlooking RTS games out today that I don't have to play the badlooking ones.

I also watched

and by watching that I can safely conclude that the gameplay is crap.

Tried two different links for those videos. If it doesn't work then blame the forum.

Finally, It's not my meaning to come off as a hater or something, I just have this style of posting.

I can say I did enjoy WBC II & WBC III a bit but they don't hold up against the top RTS games.

In short, TA:K and the WBC series are not good enough today.

February 16, 2012 11:08:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Campaigner,

Quoting ARTHANASIOS, reply 44I don't get why Warlords Battlecry and TA:Kingdoms looks like shit.

First of all, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms has excellent looking 2D backrounds and 3D units with an excellent animation for its time. Starcraft has 2D graphics, so it is lower than TA:Kingdoms in graphical technology.

....Seriously, do you know what you're typing??

"Excellent looking 2D backgrounds" <--- No, it's not "excellent looking". AT.ALL. What makes you think it has "excellent looking" 2D backgrounds?

What difference does it make if TA:K have 3D units and StarCraft have 2D units?   Cause I don't see the difference.

And as to why you don't get why the Warlords BattleCry II and TA:K look bad....

He did supply the modifier "for its time".. They aren't very different graphically from Age of empires II..or star craft which were the top RTS games of that period.

Quoting ARTHANASIOS,
First of all, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms has excellent looking 2D backrounds and 3D units with an excellent animation for its time

C&C generals is horrible graphics when viewed today.. I still like to fire it up from time to time though.

February 17, 2012 5:05:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@Campaigner:

I really feel sorry for you for judging the gameplay of a game based on videos and screenshots rather than playing the game itself. That shows what an expert Total Annihilation: Kingdoms player you are! Sorry for my sacrasm, but the least you have to do before applying a negative comment on a game is to give this game a really serious gameplay. If you don't play the game at all or if you play the game for very few hours, then you cannot have a true opinion about it.

3D graphics are always considered more advanced graphics than their 2D counterpart. I say it is "considered" and not that they always are. However, most importantly, I don't care at all about graphics and you should do the same.

It is impossible to play every single game around, however if you judge the games you play by its graphics, I truly feel sorry for you. Usually, the games which have the best gameplay around are the less good-looking ones, because their designers spend more time in gameplay programming than graphics designing.

Personally, I find old RTS graphics just fine, no matter if they are Warlords Battlecry, TA:Kingdoms, Starcarft, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer. I just think Total Annihilation: Kingdoms have better graphics from those because of the detail and variety in the 3D animations of the units. Let me explain myslelf:

* TA:Kingdoms is probably the first RTS game in which the units strike with different animation each time. In AoeII, for example, each unit attacks wih exacly the same way each time, but in TA:Kingdoms the Swordsmen, Warriors, Trolls, Blade Deamons etc. have three different animations for their attack; one for a pierecing strike, one for a slashing strike coming from the left and one for a slashing strike coming from the right. What's more, the ship models of the game were very detailed in every aspect (for its time), especially the magnifient Verunan Man o War battleships, and the four holy dragons of each race had very beautiful animations too. Finally, as the units advanced in veterancy status, they were visually changed and golden equipment appeared on them, much like in Age of Mythology when you research better armor in the blacksmith building. There are also a few other things because of which I believe graphics were pretty good for its time.

The videos you have seen is the Inspector Vids, you cannot get a thing about TA:Kngdoms gameplay by just watching these, so give me a break!

About the green/brown mix, keep looking for green/brown mixes in other games, that's where the gameplay is, LMAO!!!!!

February 17, 2012 10:36:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

All of the bright, and shiny eye candy in the world wont save a game if its gameplay sucks.

The TA series (OTA and Kingdoms) may be dated graphic wise now, but the gameplay still stands up to this day. If you want TA with better graphics then play Sup Com, and Forged Alliance (NOT Sup Com 2).

Total War series is all good. Rome, Medieval 2, Empire/Napoleon (same thing really), Shogun 2. The older Shogun, and Medieval TW is good too despite the dated graphics. However This is not considered an RTS. Total War is turn based Strategy with real time Tactical battles with a fixed amount of units when the battle starts. Its more like a 4X than an RTS.

February 18, 2012 5:10:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have yet to find an RTS approach the enjoyability I had with Homeworld.

I have Sins and its expansions, and they are good, but pale compared with Homeworld.

I bought Supreme Commander on Impulse, but found it not to my liking and it remains unplayed beyond the few hours I tried it out and did not find it appealing.

I enjoyed SC2, but found I am not a competitive player, I prefer single player, and after beating SC2's single player campaign several times over, its been gathering digital dust.

February 19, 2012 1:24:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
The TA series (OTA and Kingdoms) may be dated graphic wise now, but the gameplay still stands up to this day. If you want TA with better graphics then play Sup Com, and Forged Alliance (NOT Sup Com 2).

TA's interface is the only thing that bugs me, I am used to being able to group units. I so need a job so I can afford new toys to do Sup Com and Forged Alliance justice.

Quoting Chibiabos,
I have yet to find an RTS approach the enjoyability I had with Homeworld.

I have Sins and its expansions, and they are good, but pale compared with Homeworld.

I bought Supreme Commander on Impulse, but found it not to my liking and it remains unplayed beyond the few hours I tried it out and did not find it appealing.

I enjoyed SC2, but found I am not a competitive player, I prefer single player, and after beating SC2's single player campaign several times over, its been gathering digital dust.

I also love Homeworld, though I don't play it very much and have never beat the campaign, but I also enjoy those other games too. I have an older computer, so I can't play any of those other games, Sins and its expansions don't work with my "better" graphics card, Sup Com can't be done justice with this machine either, and SC2 is something I would like to at least give a try when I can get a newer computer. I can't even play C&C Generals, Stronghold and Crusader, or Age of Empires II at the moment.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time: