Any awesome RTS out there?

By on May 14, 2011 1:24:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ArcElement2002

Join Date 04/2010
+4

I was looking around for new RTS, but not much seems to fit the bill, at least for me.  I was wondering if anyone had any idea of any upcoming, or maybe even released RTS games out there.

In particular, I am fond of the Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander (original) and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, due to the simplicity of the economics (just mass/metal and energy) and massive scale and grand strategy-ish.  I like to fool around and explore different avenues of attack and just have fun.

The reason I am not playing those games right now is because I've gotten used to the zoom of Supreme Commander and going back is hard... and the two Supreme Commander games have too much of a performance hit on my computer.

I would have picked up Shogun 2, except I prefer the skirmish modes of the games I mentioned above, instead of the campaign-like... well, campaign where many rules (such as location and distance of enemies) are already set, limiting different strategies.

And Starcraft 2 seems too intense for me.

Thanks for reading, any help would be great 

Locked Post 61 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 14, 2011 2:02:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sins of a Solar Empire maybe right up your alley. Still supported (a new expansion coming out sometime this winter) so its worth a go. Get the Trinity version as it has everything you currently need.

May 14, 2011 3:47:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Age of Mythology was a great one for playing with friends over lan, but sadly it's out of date and no longer supported. It also doesn't run on a modern machine. If you have an old pentium 3 kicking around, though, I highly suggest it

May 14, 2011 3:59:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yea Age of Mythology is a good oldie'

I got it to work on my new Win7 laptop ok... me and my gf play LAN occasionally and its great fun.

May 14, 2011 4:05:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Company of Heroes, Dawn of War : Dark Crusade (great skirmish game!) and Rise of Nations are the one's aside from Sins/SupCom/SC2 that spring to mind.

May 14, 2011 4:44:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting louist,
Age of Mythology was a great one for playing with friends over lan, but sadly it's out of date and no longer supported. It also doesn't run on a modern machine. If you have an old pentium 3 kicking around, though, I highly suggest it

Age of Mythology runs perfectly on my system

E8400 3.0 Ghz

2x2GB DDR2

Nvidia GTX 570

Gigabyte EP35-DS4

Windows 7 Ultimate

May 14, 2011 6:30:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm 0 for 3 for getting AoM to run on my systems since I stopped running XP. Glad to hear I'm just terribly unlucky

May 14, 2011 3:14:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome, thanks all! Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder, I have Sins (just the original) and Rise of Nations too, and I agree they are great games.  Sins in particular is awesome in many ways, it's just that I don't like how the AI always runs when I outnumber them, meaning I have to chase their fleet across the entire galaxy and almost never get a fight (unless they attack and destroy my planet)... is there a way to change that?

Trinity... hmmm, looks interesting... should I wait for the expansion first?  Is it standalone?  And I'll take a look at all of them, Age of Mythology, Company of Heroes and Dawn of War.  Is Dawn of War: Dark Crusade better than the other Dawn of War games (Soulstorm and Winter Assault)?

Thank you!

May 14, 2011 3:20:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dark Crusade is the first stand-alone expansion to Dawn of War, however you need Dawn of War and Winter Assault if you want to use the full selection of races in multiplayer.  Soulstorm is the second and last stand-alone expansion for Dawn of War, and again you'll need the rest of the games to unlock all the races in multiplayer.  I'd suggest buying a pack that has all the Dawn of War games in it if you're going to buy Dawn of War.

May 14, 2011 3:45:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,
should I wait for the expansion first? Is it standalone?

The next expansion is a stand alone with everything else included yes. As for the other x-packs they add a lot to the game. Especially Diplomacy with the AI though it still isn't better than a real human.

May 14, 2011 3:51:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

age of magic is also a great series to look into

diciples series (1 and two not sure about three)

theres alway the civializaton games , but thats a given

age of empires-also thats a given

May 14, 2011 4:40:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I recently got the demos for Dawn of War and its expansions, but am only keeping the original installed because it is as close to a full version as I am going to get without the full version, and I am impressed. Looks like Relic knows what they are doing, first with the original Homeworld and now Dawn of War, so when I get a good opportunity to get Dawn of War on sale, I will definitely not let such an opportunity go to waste.

May 14, 2011 4:45:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting chrisbremer,
age of magic is also a great series to look into

diciples series (1 and two not sure about three)

theres alway the civializaton games , but thats a given

Great games.

Of course, none of those are RTS titles.

May 14, 2011 5:30:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rise of Nations:Thrones & Patriots was totally awesome.  That's basically a RTS version of Civilization.   I've seen it run for like $10 at the retail stores now, bundled with the original.

May 14, 2011 10:25:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I could never do things quick and well enough to win (even against the AI) in Rise of Nations.  It has that mechanic where your units lose health while in enemy territory, until you successfully found a settlement.  The AI always seemed to have too many of the right type of units for me to get anywhere.  Not saying that others would have the same problem though - I just found the game too hard, even on easy.  (I do hope the AI didn't cheat, but it could have just been I wasn't fast enough building successful counters to the AI's units. )

Best regards,
Steven.

May 14, 2011 10:40:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The AI started cheating on Tougher; it was even-steven on Tough.   To not suffer attrition in enemy territory you could bring supply wagons along with you.  A great trick to take out your opponent was to take out his supply wagons.  His only counter would be to build more supply wagons, and that means building less guns.

May 14, 2011 11:04:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ah, that reminds me of an old saying by Napoleon on warfare, "An army marches on its stomach."

May 14, 2011 11:27:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I couldn't get past the third level (following his path) on the Alexander the Great campaign.  No matter what I did, the computer always had more to throw at me.  And in those campaigns, you tended to have to invade to get a good spot to start your empire.  I'm not sure if you can get access to the enemy's supply wagons.  How were you able to finish this level, and what cards (if any) did you use/need to use?

Best regards,
Steven.

May 15, 2011 3:12:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

praetorians. playing it multiplayer is super engaging.

May 15, 2011 7:03:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AI wars

May 15, 2011 7:28:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Real Life.

If you can get enough people to listen to you and attack random stuff for no reason.  

May 15, 2011 10:07:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I concur with recommendation of Dark Crusade and from older games Command and Conquer Generals:Zero Hour, C&C3 and Red Alert 3, theyre not bad games, although i would say really good is only the oldest of the lot, Zero Hour.

Anyway i am bit disappointed with the recent RTSes, on one hand i have to say, they really progressed as far as the features go (zoom and grandscale, suppression fire, etc...), but they lack the WOW effect for me, some gameplay element or unit or faction, something what will make me want to read forums about the game, watch videos and generally think about it, when i am not playing it.

I have StarCraft2, SupCom2 and RUSE and none of them is like that. 

May 15, 2011 10:56:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I couldn't get past the third level (following his path) on the Alexander the Great campaign. 

The Greek campaign is actually the hardest.  Do it last.  I think diplomacy played a critical factor in that one, because there were so many computer players.

Napoleon was just gobs of fun.   Do that one first instead.

May 15, 2011 11:45:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To me "awesome" and "RTS" are two words that just don't go together, for several reasons due to the surreal arcade "un-strategic" "un-realistic" feelling that a RTS just give me. That said I have player Napoleon Total War and I had lots of fun, I would also try Shogun II if you are looking for a thrill.

May 15, 2011 1:04:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sins in particular is awesome in many ways, it's just that I don't like how the AI always runs when I outnumber them, meaning I have to chase their fleet across the entire galaxy and almost never get a fight (unless they attack and destroy my planet)... is there a way to change that?

This has been changed in successive patches, although now players complain the AI is a little too bloodthirsty and will throw itself into fights it has absolutely no chance of winning.  But hey, it's an AI, it's never going to be perfect.

May 15, 2011 1:22:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Really, AI wars. The only strategy game with an AI worth the name. Check it out.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time: