1.2 is upon us, Fallen Enchantress is under work.
Can we have an update on the DLL support you'd planned post 1.2 and give us some modding powers?
I am not confident right now in the future of modding on the Elemental line of titles, at least as I had envisioned it. Please understand I think you're doing great work here, but this is the state of modding in Elemental as I see it:
* 90% of the "mods" are actually just maps made with the map editor
* We have no ability to change core gameplay
* We have no way of producing dynamic, branching quests
* We have no way to produce new behaviours in the game
* Our changes are largely limited to tweaking values in XML
* Even community members like Wintersong have been basically limited to producing factions
* There are a handful of new tiles/models buried in the depth of the "other" category
* The rest of the categories outside of Other and Maps are essentially empty
* There's a great modder working on the AI, but he has a day job and it's called running stardock. No one else is able to contribute
* There's no appearance of change - the last thread I made on this topic has been floating on the front page for a month and a half
I don't want to contribute to a negative feeling, and I don't want to waste developer time, but I would like to know where Stardock plans to go from here. I can offer many compelling reasons to really hunker down and get the modding tools out there, but with Derek and Brad and Jon in charge, I'd feel like I'd be preaching to the choir.
So I'd like to leave this question out there: What is the holdup post-1.2 for making the Elemental engine moddable for us consumers? Have you sat down and discussed what it would cost you to strap on a scripting engine and start using it?
Now is definitely the time to think about whether you want Fallen Enchantress to have hard-coded missions written in C++ by junior developers with no garbage collection, limited modding community, and extensive bugtest/development cycles that require rebuilding the project, or whether you want a Fallen Enchantress that is relatively lean with excellent modding support, with a long shelf-life and dedicated long-term community that provides value back.
Hope to hear something back.