By on May 4, 2011 1:26:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

impinc

Join Date 07/2010
+30

Updated Distinct Factions

A mod from the Elemental modding community

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/elemental_war_of_magic/40/ 

Beta 0,212 released 5/21/2011

The idea behind this mod is to make each core faction in the game distinct from each other. Not only in looks, but also in how they actually play. This is an ambitious project which modifies almost everything in the game. Because of this, other mods may not work well, and will probably break certain things. However, we're willing to work with other modders to "adapt" their mod to fit in the UDF world. See below for descriptions of the factions.

All factions have their own armor sets, and a weapon or two that is unique to them. All core sovereigns also have their own unique armor/weapon set to distinguish the leaders of the factions. 

If you want to see the armor sets, check out this thread.

HP has been increased across the board (except for the NPCs, but once they join a faction, their HP will be boosted). All monsters attack and defense has been raised as well.

Also, to spice things up some more, the grouping sizes have been changed. The individual soldier is still individual (can't mod this right now), however, the goes to 6 troops, then 12, then 20.

Most damage spells have been rewritten to not only do more damage, but to scale with INT and shards.

Core city hubs will now regenerate more HP per turn.

All factions will receive the infirmary tech which will unlock the Infirmary improvement. 

This improvement not only increases the health regen in the city it's in, but also produces medical supplies.

Added apply medical pack ability to medical pack (so it can be used in tactical combat to heal). This ability requires the medical supplies resource generated from infirmaries.

Kingdom Of Altar

"Altar is the melting pot of the kingdoms of the West. Welcoming all races and creeds, Altar values accomplishment rather than pedigree. Its people are fiercely independent and have little tolerance to being told what to do."

Units

Race: Men

Sovereign: Lord Relias (equipped with a short sword, a shield, shoulder guards and leather vambraces)

All trained units receive the Dungeon Master trait, which gives increased damage against creatures.

Improvements

Given Altar's predilection to adventure, diplomacy, and affinity for earth and air magic, these improvements are cheaper to build:

Town Hall, Pub, Theatre, Embassy, Air Shrine, Earth Shrine

Altar isn't as interested in money as other factions are, so all of their monetary bonus improvements have a higher cost to build. Also, it's more expensive for them to build the construction yard, and labor guild.

Altar also cannot build the Mint Of Ruvenna, or Hosten's Library.

Altar's unique improvements are :

Earth Temple - Level 5 improvement which is essentially a "buildable" shard which doesnt generate mana (but will help to increase spell power), and also grants a 15% boost to defense for troops stationed in it's city.

Grand Adventurer's Hall - This level 4 building increases prestige in the city, and also provides a discount for recruiting new champions.

Equipment

Altar is adept with most swords, and dual wielding weapons, so they can build them cheaper (for troop production). However, they are not as adept with heavier weapons, so it costs more to build them. Being more diplomatic, they also receive a slight reduction in all weapons, and heavy armor.

Due to their affinity to earth magic, they can also produce the Earth staff. This staff acts as a ranged weapon (the icon will show a bow and arrow in tactical combat) that casts the Hurl Boulder spell on it's target. This spell also scales with the amount of shards you have. Tactical range of 5. Unlocked by the Earth spellbook tech.

Altar cannot produce the oak spear, Mace, War Staff, or Lord Hammer.

Unique to Altar:

Dagger/Shortsword dual wield combination.

Wakizashi

Dual Longswords

Magic

As Altar has an affinity for air and earth magic, the spells in those spellbooks cost less mana to cast than from other spellbooks. However, because of the focus on those two elemental spellbooks, spells from the fire and water spellbook cost more mana to cast.

Altar doesn't have the Fire Storm, Fire Ball, Blizzard, or Greater Grip of Winter spells.

Spells unique to Altar:

Rain Of Stone (Single unit damage spell)

Fist Of Earth (AOE dmg)

Winds Of Displacement (AOE slight dmg, scatter troops randomly)

Techs

Because Altar can't produce the Lord Hammer, the tech which unlocked it has been removed from their tech tree.

Unlikely Friends has been moved up, and requires no prereq.

AI priorities adjusted for most adventure, diplomacy, and warfare techs to have the AI put more focus where it should for Altar.

Kingdom Of Capitar

"Capitar is the most prosperous of the kingdoms of the West; its wealth derives from the vast riches controlled by the legendary traders of Serrane. It was one of those great traders, Duke Walderon I, and then his son, Walderon II, who helped to maintain law and order in the years after the Cataclysm."

Units

Race: Mancers

Sovereign: General Carrodus (with complete unique armor set, and broadsword)

All trained units receive a 10% bonus to defense, and also +1 to strategic movement

Improvements

Obviously, Capitar is all about the gildar, and any mean to increase it's production of it. Because of this, the market, Bazaar, Mint Of Ruvenna, Guild Tribunal, and Embassy are cheaper for them to build.

Profit is better made from allies than enemies, so Capitar's military improvements like the barracks, Command Post, War College, and Archery Range are more expensive to build.

Capitar cannot build the Temple Of Essence, Labor Guild, or Monastery improvements.

Capitar's unique improvements are:

Caravan House - 5% gildar bonus. City level 2, 1 per city.

Grand Assembly - Level 5, 1 per faction. 100% diplomatic capital

Equipment

Capitar's weapon focus is with spears and staffs. They aren't particularly good with blunt weapons (resulting in a slight decrease in their stats, and higher cost to produce). They also cannot produce the war staff (it's replaced by something else), Claymore, or Longsword. 

Being more defensive minded (to protect their wealth), the first two tiers of armor are cheaper for them to produce. They can also produce the staff, and oak spear for less.

Unique to Capitar:

War Spear (replaces war staff)

Pike

Capitarian Polearm

Magic

Capitar has almost no interest in magic, resulting in not having any affinity to any certain elemental spells. This makes it harder for them to boost their spellpower, but certainly not impossible. However, most spells above level 2 have a higher mana cost.

The only spells which are cheaper to cast mana wise is Alchemy and Greater Alchemy.

Capitar does not get the Volcano spell.

Techs

Added a tech for capitar to unlock pikes, and also a tech to unlock their polearm. AI priority adjusted in the Civics, Diplomacy, and Warfare categories to better focus the AI for Capitar.

Kingdom of Pariden

...more to come soon...

Kingdom Of Gilden

...more to come soon...

Kingdom Of Tarth

...more to come soon...

Empire Of Umber

...more to come soon...

Empire Of Resoln

...more to come soon...

Empire Of Yithril

...more to come soon...

Empire Of Kraxis

...more to come soon...

Empire Of Magnar

...more to come soon...

New Effects 

Winds Of Displacement (Altar only, Air Spellbook)

Rain Of Stone (Altar only, Earth Spellbook)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw02h8hIz-k (Forum wont allow two different imbedded videos)

The UDF Team (in no particular order):

Kenata - Co-lead                            Updated Weapons Mod 

DsRaider                                      Tactical Rebalance Mod

AILanMandragoran 

Magog_Aow 

BlackRainZ 

Murteas                                         Murteas' Grimoire Mod

crystalshake 

ImpInc - Co-lead                        Adventure Content Pack Mod

We're looking for more team members. We need someone to work on the magic system, and a person or two to create tiles. If anyone else is good with the partical cauldron, we could use the help there too. Magog is awesome at it, but ultimately, I want a lot of new particle effects, so he shouldn't have to do all of them (unless he wants to of course ). If you're interested, please send me a PM. 

23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 4, 2011 1:55:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks like a massive effort! Looking forward to this, which is really how the main game should be.

May 4, 2011 2:05:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, you could even call this mod "Elemental: Resurrection". Its this type of uniqueness that the game really needs atm.

May 4, 2011 2:32:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jecjackal,
Wow, you could even call this mod "Elemental: Resurrection". Its this type of uniqueness that the game really needs atm.

The idea was not to reboot WoM, but simply to give each faction its own personality. Impinc and I were both tired of having each faction played in a near identical way, and thus this mod came to life. As you can see from the factions we have done so far, altar and capitar still have a lot of the same buildings and techs, but each has a distinct slant. For instance, while altar focuses on champions and adventuring, capitar focuses on stockpiling money and ultimately diplomatic power.

May 4, 2011 3:11:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like to thank the team for extending the invite to playtest. I've been checking this out for a couple of weeks and this mod is just fantastic! It truly does own up to the title of Distinct Factions. Happy to be part of the team and efforts.

May 4, 2011 4:57:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice, can't wait to see more

May 4, 2011 5:40:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

looks interesting, gonna keep my eye on it!

May 4, 2011 11:58:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

very interesting

harpo

May 7, 2011 10:02:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What kind of work do you need done with magic?

May 7, 2011 12:37:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What kind of work do you need done with magic?

Basically, the spells need to be rewritten to do more damage, and to scale more with INT and shards owned. Plus most factions will have unique spells.

Essentially, almost every faction has the core spellbooks rewritten so that we can change costs on a per faction basis.

May 7, 2011 12:58:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

gotta remember also that each faction focuses more on certain elemental shards which means likely they'll have a uber powerful spell for those type of shards

May 7, 2011 2:53:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

*subscribing*

I'd be happy to share the particle effect work with someone else. It is extremely time consuming.

May 7, 2011 5:19:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I could possibly help with magic, give me some ideas what u want done.

May 11, 2011 1:35:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Uploaded the first public beta 0.2 of UDF! 

Please remember this is still considered to be beta. Only Altar and Capitar have been modified for their uniqueness, however, the other factions all have the appropriate stats to match the increases. 

You'll find icons that dont make sense. You'll find descriptions that dont make sense either. Bear with us, and there's almost no file we aren't modifying in some way.

If you see something that looks wrong, let us know. 

I've also included files to convert ACP for this mod. Instructions are contained within the UDF zip file. Big thanks to Heavenfall for rerunning the Artifact generator for me.

I hope everyone enjoys it so far!

May 19, 2011 11:34:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Uploaded version 0.21beta.

Just wanted to get a quick update out which converts the necessary files of expanded factions to work well with UDF.

Changelog 0.2b
- Added Magog's effect for Rain Of Stone
- Raised pricing for Relias and Carrodus' personal armor/weapons in the shop

Changelog 0.2c
- Added Icecrown's effects to the effects folder. Changed a couple of Altar's spells to use those effects.
- Removed prereq for Ancient Lore tech (spawns next level of goodiehuts) for Altar.
- Raised AI priority for Altar's goodiehut spawning techs

Changelog 0.2d
- Added Construction Yard improvement for Altar

Changelog 0.2e
- Fixed problem with earth staff, it wasn't set to a tactical range (it's now 6), so you couldnt hit from afar
- Added extra gfx files for Icecrown's spell effects I forgot before
- Fixed spelling mistake with rain of stone so the effect will show now

Changelog 0.21

- Added files to convert Expanded Factions to UDF.

May 20, 2011 2:36:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

, but the instructions are a bit vague. In the mod compatibility folder the xml files are already there, but there's also a zip. Are those the same files included twice? And I don't understand which files I need to delete, or where from.

May 20, 2011 11:20:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oops. They're not supposed to be there unless unzipped. 

I'll re-upload the zip in a bit, and try to write better instructions, I was tired when I wrote it. (It should work fine without doing anything right now).

I think I got all the necessary stuff (all armor, weapons, and HP stuff). If I missed anything, let me know.

May 20, 2011 11:41:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, just uploaded the fixed version (well, just removed the unzipped files).

But, I also forgot to modify the raceconfigs of each faction (to boost hp), so those are in there now as well.

May 21, 2011 6:49:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great job guys. This mod is looking great. I did find a bug when playing as Capitar. The "Hut" was not listed as a buildable improvement for a city. Altar was able to and both factions can without mods enabled.

May 21, 2011 11:19:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

jecjackal
Great job guys. This mod is looking great. I did find a bug when playing as Capitar. The "Hut" was not listed as a buildable improvement for a city. Altar was able to and both factions can without mods enabled.

Thanks for pointing this out. I thought I had fixed this earlier, but missed one last thing. It's now fixed, and new version uploaded.

May 22, 2011 11:00:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm going to go ahead and use this post to list some more bugs I've found (most are minor).

1. Hospitality tech's description is blank (where it shows what you get for researching the tech).
  2. City Defenses tech description is blank
  3. Superior equipment tech description is blank
  4. Capitar's Resolve (Their unique ability) does not apply to heroes hired.
  5. Carrodus's Sword Upgrades can be equipped by anyone
  6. Carrodus's Origional Sword cannot be sold (May be intentional)
  7. The Administration Tech cannot be researched (its not listed as a choice when the prereqs are made). As a result, better housing/Libraries and many of the economic improvements are unavailable.
  8. Capitar pike states it has a range of 1. However I could only attack at melee range (maybe you need range 2, assuming you want to be able to attack through a unit?)
  9. Brides from other factions cannot equip any of the armor i've unlocked because they are not Capitarian.
  10. Carrodus's special armor pieces cannot be sold.

These issues are all currently for Capitar (may exist for others but i've found them as Capitar so they may be specific to Capitar). I'll update this list as I find more things. Again these are all minor.

Great job guys, this mod is great.

June 3, 2011 9:45:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm sorry to say that I'm discontinuing this mod. I unfortunately don't have the time to work on it anymore, and with the changes coming in 1.3, there would be quite a bit to change. If anyone else would like to pick up the reigns on it, be my guest.

June 3, 2011 10:40:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Damn... was very much looking forward to this.

July 27, 2011 2:13:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, so I've been tinkering around with this mod a little bit here and there. It really bothers me that this was never finished. I think it could be quite epic if finished. I think WoM becomes quite awesome with the addition of this mod, ACP, updated weapons, and expanded factions. There's just more of everything, the game feels as deep as I feel it should be.

So far I've just updated what I'd like to change with a couple of other factions, and changed the improvements that changed in 1.3, as well as modifying how groups are set up (finally no more single troop).

If anyone else would like to help, it would be appreciated. I'm not planning on moving as quickly with this as I had with any of my other mods in the past, as I just don't have the time I used to.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001203   Page Render Time: