The Fallen Enchantress Poll

By on February 28, 2011 5:34:45 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1469

At the top of the Journals page we’ve set up a new poll.

We’ll be getting into a lot of details about Fallen Enchantress as we near the beta (which we anticipate starting this Spring).

Below, are 10 random facts (amongst many) about it:

1. It is a stand-alone title – you don’t have to have anything previously installed.
  2. It will be free for everyone who bought the first Elemental title (War of Magic) in 2010 and those who buy War of Magic prior to Fallen Enchantress’s release will get a discount.
  3. The Lead Designer of Fallen Enchantress is Derek Paxton (Civilization IV: Fall from Heaven)
  4. The campaign for Fallen Enchantress is written by fantasy author Dave Stern and is being designed by Jon Shafer (lead designer of Civilization V)
  5. The tactical battle system is 100% new and based on initiative rather than teams taking turns.
  6. The economic system is all new.
  7. The food/housing/prestige mechanic is gone and replaced with something more intuitive and we think funner.
  8. The combat system is very different with damage types, resistance types, etc.
  9. Its user interface will be new.
  10. It will have no boxed version, no retail version so that the release date has no outside influences other than being a great game.

Feel free to write in the comments section any questions you may have as we plan to start back with FAQs in March.

Don’t forget to answer the poll!

Locked Post 100 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 28, 2011 5:41:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. Is the beta going to have everything enabled this time?

2. Is Multiplayer going to get all the stuff it's missing right now?

February 28, 2011 5:45:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. The beta won't go out until it's fairly far along.

1A. Unlike War of Magic, we won't be closing the public beta early so that people can complain right up to the end.

2. Personal opinion on this: The MP is likely to increasingly go in a different direction to make it better for MP without gimping single player (quests in MP for instance not doable).

February 28, 2011 6:15:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm fairly excited about this.     I wonder if the system requirements will be the same?  Although it's good to have a reason to give my wife on why I"m getting a new computer around summer time.

February 28, 2011 6:22:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

iam rdy for the beta

February 28, 2011 6:23:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just FYI, the poll results are showing up in pixels instead of percentages.  At least for me (using Opera).

February 28, 2011 6:40:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What's new and different with the magic system?

February 28, 2011 6:51:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If that list comes out as I hope it does, then FE should turn WoM into the game I had been looking forwards to for a long long time.  Unfortunately it sounds like it will be awhile coming yet.  Why must time be so cruel?

I'd like to hear more about the new tactical/combat systems.  Will the damage types/defences work like they did in GalCivII, or are you going for something quite different?

February 28, 2011 6:54:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hmm will Dynasty be improved or upgraded ?

(to be able to marry heroes and stuff )

February 28, 2011 7:09:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Solid. When can I start reporting on the FE strategic AI?

February 28, 2011 7:23:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
2. Personal opinion on this: The MP is likely to increasingly go in a different direction to make it better for MP without gimping single player (quests in MP for instance not doable).

I'm having a hard time understanding why. All I ever wanted out of MP in EWoM was to be able to team up with a friend or two and play against a lot of AIs. I have a hard time believing that fewer people want to do something like that then want a heavily balanced (and altered) competitive game here... I mean we've got Starcraft 2 for that.

I mean Civ 5's MP support is weaker then Civ 4's, but you're still fundamentally playing the same game and have both coop and more hostile modes. Is there really a demand for a competitive oriented stripped down Elemental that I'm not aware of, and is it large enough to make continuing to ignore coop entirely as a good idea?

Guess I'm just not seeing what the motivation for this strategy was/is.

February 28, 2011 8:41:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Civ V doesn't have quests or other things that take the player away from the main game.

February 28, 2011 9:16:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One could argue that Quests are the main game in Elemental.

I have to agree with Tridus. I would be really happy with just the ability to goof around on a normal single player map with a friend. Competitive multiplayer comes second.

Please excuse the following rant:

Elemental is all about exploring and building and not about rushing and newb stomping. It's just not built for that. Trying to make it competitive would be like trying to shove a triangle block into a sqaure hole. To get it to fit you will just end up shaving off parts, and it still won't be a square. Try to imagine a competitive Elemental  build... Does that seem fun to you?  Elemental is just to broad, and contains way to much content. Any competitive game would ignore 99% of the content. Monsters gone. Random resources gone. AIs gone. Quests gone. I have a hard time seeing 95% percent of techs being useful competitively. Starcraft for instance was built as a competitive game from the ground up and it took years of constant balancing to get right. Good luck trying to make a broad 4x game with so many random elements balanced. I hope you have a dedicated team and several years set aside. I mean no offense but E:WOM is utterly unbalanced as is. Race versus race, faction versus faction, unit versus unit, equipment versus equipment, spell versus spell, etc.

February 28, 2011 9:30:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tridus,

Quoting Frogboy,
reply 2

I'm having a hard time understanding why. All I ever wanted out of MP in EWoM was to be able to team up with a friend or two and play against a lot of AIs. I have a hard time believing that fewer people want to do something like that then want a heavily balanced (and altered) competitive game here... I mean we've got Starcraft 2 for that.

I mean Civ 5's MP support is weaker then Civ 4's, but you're still fundamentally playing the same game and have both coop and more hostile modes. Is there really a demand for a competitive oriented stripped down Elemental that I'm not aware of, and is it large enough to make continuing to ignore coop entirely as a good idea?

Guess I'm just not seeing what the motivation for this strategy was/is.

I agree with Tridus, can we make it a toggle on the start screen?  MP folks could agree to quests or not.  Would be kind of fun to have a couple of players agree to seek out the Seven Sectioned Staff of Shard Dominion and share the quest.... then one could backstab the other by ambushing the hero with 3 of the sections in his backpack.

Can we please , please, please get proper loot drops?  The excitement of finding cool stuff to equip your heroes with will help keep the game exciting and fresh. 

Looking forward to the beta!

February 28, 2011 10:08:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. Will there be espionage?

2. Will there be lots of new starting game options to pick?

3. Will there be more resources?

4. Will there be different terrains?(ie if your near a water tile you units do more damage with water spells or you heal faster, etc...)

5. Will there be hero skill trees? (ie some heros start out predefined as generals and as they level up they get to pick a new perks that are related to being a general, or some heros you pick a skill tree right away and they can be a govener and specialize in different areas like building production, and or money production.) (Thing Total War, Masters of Orion 2, Fallout, etc...)

6. Any new shards being added?

7. Are there more soverign design options?

8. Will cities be incorperated into battles and can have benefits to attackers and or defenders?

9. Will this expansion have naval combat and expand on more naval ships?

10. Will there be loads of more quest and maybe a random quest generator?

11. Will there be a item generator? (ie always finding random stuff in different games like a cup that give me +5 to intellegence).

12. Will there be a hero creator so we can easily put new champions into games?

13. Any major improvements to dynasties?

14. Will diplomacy be getting major improvements?

Can't wait to test!

February 28, 2011 10:12:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I too think the goal in MP should be to make it as much like SP as possible. It's understandable if not every single SP feature makes it- just make it as close as you can. If we're playing MP with friends, we don't care if we have to wait thru tactical battles.....(for example)

February 28, 2011 10:20:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am hopeful, but the scares and red skin are still visable from the first go round!!

My only question is will it actually run on any PC known to man with any consistacy, please don't send it out half cooked.

February 28, 2011 10:22:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tridus,

This, exactly. Of all the things I could ever wish for, would be to play GalCivII with a friend and screw around on the same map together for hours on end. That didn't happen and probably never will. But here we are with a fresh start, please don't underestimate multiplay. We don't want a "skirmish mode" or some cheap knockoff of play, just being in the same sandbox together is enough. I don't care if my buddy gets a request to rescue the same nobleman's son as me. It would be a lot of fun.

February 28, 2011 10:44:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also agree with Tridus. I don't understand why you insist that core features of the game don't work in MP. The vast majority of people who will be playing MP will be doing so co-operatively with their friends, not competitively. Elemental will never be a competitive MP game, it should not even be in consideration. In that light, it makes no sense to cut out quests or anything else for co-op MP.

If you really want MP to "go in a different direction", do it on top of the base co-op game, not instead of.

February 28, 2011 10:52:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please stop trying to make MP some separate entity. If quests are needing to be removed for multiplayer, I doubt that they are going to be worthwile for single player.

Qusets should be about awarding the (brave/foolish) player who undertakes them. In multiplayer, the separate players should compete for quests, just the same as with single player.

If quests are not part of the "main game", then what are they doing in the game at all?

February 28, 2011 10:57:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Regarding quests in Multiplay, it seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to make the default game quest-less while leaving in quests as a possible toggle option at game setup. This way, both groups are satisfied. The need to craft and endorse a fair, competitive game is satiated by defaulting to "no-quests," while still allowing those who desire quests to have their wish.

Quoting Frogboy,
Civ V doesn't have quests or other things that take the player away from the main game.

Personally, the whole allure of the very concept of Elemental is the mixture between Role Playing Games and Adventure and Turn Based Strategy. At least in my ideal Elemental game, quests would be far more than mere diversions that take away from the main game, but rather an integral part of the main game itself. Perhaps, if the link between quests and the rest of the game-playing process is strengthened, then the answer to the question of MP quests will naturally fall into place.

February 28, 2011 11:12:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ALL!!!

February 28, 2011 11:44:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

1. The combat system is very different with damage types, resistance types, etc.
  2. Its user interface will be new.

Regarding these two points, is the UI for the game going to be new or just the UI in tactical combat? I ask because I didn't play elemental after about 1 game for three reasons:

-no unit initiative system (which is in FE now)

-OOM errors (which I'm assuming will be fixed)

-The UI at the strategic map level was maddening. I could explain why if anybody is interested but suffice to say that I was very unhappy with it.

March 1, 2011 12:07:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Okay a couple more questions:

-Will I be able to see my current character's inventory and equipped equipment while in store?

-Will I be able to buy a user defined quantity of items at the store all at once? (e.g. I want 15 clubs)

-Will I be able to select multiple different items and then buy them all at once in the store?

-Will I be able to see my current characters' equipped equipment while trading items between two characters?

-Will the notification system at the beginning of my turn not spam me to death, and present me with notifications that interrupt and override other notifications and also allow me to view a log of all the notifications for the current turn even if I dismiss/take care of them?

-Will I be able to rearrange my units before combat starts either right at the outset/thru an ability/magic/technology OR will the game not put my archers and mage in front of my knights in tactical combat?

-Will I be able to move units through other units (at a movement penalty?) in tactical combat at the very least for non-large-ish (dragons and the like) units even though they can't end on the same tile?

-Can you give more details about the unit initiative system?

-Can you give more details about the damage types system? Specifically will there be multiple non-magical types of damage and multiple magical types of damage and will they affect different armor types differently?

Thats all I can think of right now. I really like your game I just think that without some of these improvements I can't really play it and not go insane. Otherwise great work and I look forward to FE. DOW II retribution comes out in an hour I think I'm gonna go tear some greenskins in half

March 1, 2011 12:36:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not to be a forum troll, but isn't this just more people screaming "We want B!"  and then Frogboy goes "I bring to you, X Y and Z!"  and we go "wait, we wanted B." and Frogby goes "We have taken Z in a whole new direction!  It will be funner this way."  and we go "Dude, we just want B, you had B, you disabled B out of some narcissitic delusion that B is somehow boring and broken, but really, that's what we want." and Frogboy goes "But Civ V uses this like, whole new engine and stuff..."  And we go "WTF?  Why do we care?  That has nothing to do with Elemental or B!  Just flip the damned switch!" and Frogboy goes "Good news!  We added more options to X!"

Why do you continually ask us our opinion and then ignore it and do what you want anyways?  Wasn't that what you did with all your critics and friend's when Elemental first launched?  How'd that launch go for you?  Are you sure you haven't become entranced in your own delusional views again?  Are we here for anything other than to feed you empty praises and thumbs-ups and complacently take whatever it is you hand down to us?  Why ask our opinion then, just tell us what we're getting and end it with "praise me, bitches."

Just turned the damned tac battles back on.  Whatever you do in Fallen Empress, just leave it there, and turn tac battles on in there too.  Hell, Sword of the Stars and drop and go Multiplay where players can dynamically jump in an ongoing game, take over the role of an AI, then drop back out and the AI will take back over again.  We can even pick our AI before we drop out, then jump back in a turn or to later and pick up where the AI left off.  And guess what, the MULTIPLAYER is just like the SINGLEPLAYER.

We get you don't like Elemental multiplayer, we get you think it sucks.  That's just even *MORE* reason for you to listen to those who do like Multiplayer and give us SOMETHING we asked for, instead of getting us to ask, promptly dismissing it as static noise, and then running off in your own ADHD direction like we were never here.

I mean, geeze, you must have been the worst waitress ever.  "Welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order?"  "Yea, I want a chicken apple walnut salad, a fruit and yogurt cup, and a water please."  "Ok, I got a Big Mac, extra large fries and a Coke.  Please drive around!"  "No!  Wait, that's totally wrong!  I wanted a salad and yogurt!  HELLO?  HELLO?  Can I speak with a manager?  HELLO!?!"

March 1, 2011 12:54:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
1. The beta won't go out until it's fairly far along.

1A. Unlike War of Magic, we won't be closing the public beta early so that people can complain right up to the end.

On #2- you tried this before I think and there was pushback.  I think the best option would be to have two types of MP, one for each camp.  That way the market will decide (or what I think is more likely, MP won't be played much)

I think people will be wanting the beta before it's fairly far along, but I can see the reasons for holding it back also.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001031   Page Render Time: