Come on, lets here some new Elemental News! WoM 1.2 and 1.3 info and/or Fallen Enchantress stuff.

By on February 22, 2011 2:26:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lord Xia

Join Date 03/2006
+148

Stop being stingy.  Toby, Kael, Jon, Brad, anyone, please step up to the plate and do some talking.  I will also accept info about the Elemental RPG and the secret Jon game.  Thank you! How can you say no to this face?

Locked Post 142 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 22, 2011 3:18:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I concur. It'd be nice to hear some news about what's going on.

February 22, 2011 3:55:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+1

February 22, 2011 4:09:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well right now they're working on both Fallen Enchantress and War of Magic 1.2.

The big thing in War of Magic is the memory thing.  Once 1.2 is done, then 1.3 will primarily be about new features, some of which might get put into Fallen Enchantress too depending on the relevance.

For 1.3, we're looking at adding:

1. Random events

2. AI's surrendering when beaten

3. More diplomatic back and forth

4. AI, AI, AI.

5. Map enhancements.

The next beta of 1.2 will have some improvements to the maps, some AI updates and continued work on memory optimization.

February 22, 2011 4:17:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

1. Random events

Yes!

Yes! Yes!

4. AI, AI, AI.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Damn it, now I'm going to be antsy until 1.3... I really should consider just tossing Elemental into a time-locked vault.

February 22, 2011 4:32:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Speaking of news, who won the contest? There's nothing up on the page for me. >.> Not that I took today off from work to see if I won a graphic card or anything. But I totally took the day off from work so I could see if I won a graphic card.

February 22, 2011 4:34:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

5. Map enhancements.

On the map enhancements, have you guys kept track of Elementerra and some of the issues he's having? Maybe you could make elevation part of the map settings? Since we already have hills and mountains that are carved from the map surface then I wouldn't think it'd be much of a memory kill to have the ability to build cities and have them level out hills instead of removing them completely. >.> Just asking.

February 22, 2011 4:34:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ooh, Random events!  Thanks Brad, that'sawesome, I am excited to hear that.  Surrendering might be cool too, instead of their empire just disappearing, if they surrendered and joined other factions, like in GalCiv, that would up the challenge of the game.

February 22, 2011 4:37:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Speaking of news, who won the contest? There's nothing up on the page for me. >.> Not that I took today off from work to see if I won a graphic card or anything. But I totally took the day off from work so I could see if I won a graphic card.

Same here. I was wondering the same thing myself. Honestly, I will just be happy to get a new game from impulse.

February 22, 2011 4:48:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Well right now they're working on both Fallen Enchantress and War of Magic 1.2.

The big thing in War of Magic is the memory thing.  Once 1.2 is done, then 1.3 will primarily be about new features, some of which might get put into Fallen Enchantress too depending on the relevance.

For 1.3, we're looking at adding:

1. Random events

2. AI's surrendering when beaten

4. AI, AI, AI.

5. Map enhancements.

The next beta of 1.2 will have some improvements to the maps, some AI updates and continued work on memory optimization.

Huzzah!

February 22, 2011 4:49:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

All this talk about memory issues - I've yet to have a memory related crash (even including 1.0). Is the issue ram or video memory?

February 22, 2011 5:09:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't answer about contests.

However, regarding AI, they showed me where the tactical battle stuff is.  It's looking more and more likely that I'll be taking over all aspects of the AI going forward.  

In War of Magic, I got about 2 weeks to do the AI prior to release and got another 2 weeks since release (which for me is a lot of time). For 1.3 I'll probably get 2 days budgeted for the tactical battles and another 2 days for the general game.

Stardock has some pretty big things about to get completed this Spring and I've given Derek the okay to expand the development time on Fallen Enchantress so that it's tremendously good.

Anyone who bought War of Magic before December 31 is in for a real treat as it's looking like it'll be as different from War of Magic as say Age of Wonders is different from HOMM.  We'll see.

February 22, 2011 5:12:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome.  Just Awesome.

February 22, 2011 5:33:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome news here. 

February 22, 2011 5:39:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pretty awesome.

February 22, 2011 5:52:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

... I've given Derek the okay to expand the development time on Fallen Enchantress so that it's tremendously good. ...

There's never a bad time for No Wine Before Its Time. Except when you have to suffer the crap that comes with your stock being publicly traded...

This is very good news indeed.

February 22, 2011 6:01:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

good news

February 22, 2011 6:21:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great news Frogboy!   Now all we need to hear is that we will soon find random magic items like a +3 sword of life stealing..........

February 22, 2011 7:01:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Stardock has some pretty big things about to get completed this Spring and I've given Derek the okay to expand the development time on Fallen Enchantress so that it's tremendously good.

Anyone who bought War of Magic before December 31 is in for a real treat as it's looking like it'll be as different from War of Magic as say Age of Wonders is different from HOMM.  We'll see.

I've tried looking for previews (limited to google searches) about fallen enchantress vs. elemental.  I guess my number one concern is I read that you will support both games, but what I hear is 'we are punting elemental' sorta like empire and napolean total war.  Unfortunately, I love stardock and have bought all your products but the industries track record for what appears on the surface as abandoning software is dismal and I'm a skeptic by nature.

I'd be really interested to know the go forward plans - well, anything you can share at least - for elemental specifically.  You had a thread focused on enchantress, but haven't really talked about the future of elemental other than you are spinning off the enchantment and 'trust us.'

February 22, 2011 8:02:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Any chance of an updated caravan management system?

This would be my first item after the technical issues are resolved.

There are others, but I doubt we will see much done with WoM as it looks like the vast majority of resources are being funneled to FE.

February 22, 2011 8:32:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This thread leaves me feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

February 22, 2011 9:22:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Frogboy

5. Map enhancements.

What kind of map enhancements are we talking about here?
Would be very interested to hear something more specific!

February 22, 2011 9:35:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yea, I have not read most of this post but Lord Xia basically said what I wanted . IE are you actually people, does anybody work there, are you actually going to try to make a game that you would charge your children 60.00USD for???

The questions abound and a whole lot of pain is all I got!!

February 22, 2011 10:09:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jeffalford,
Yea, I have not read most of this post but Lord Xia basically said what I wanted . IE are you actually people, does anybody work there, are you actually going to try to make a game that you would charge your children 60.00USD for???

The questions abound and a whole lot of pain is all I got!!

Earth to Jeffa, Earth to Jeffa! They are fixing the game and making a brand new one. Unlike the title, developing PC games does not happen by magic. It takes good old fashioned hard work, capital, and time. Spend some time reading posts on here so you understand what I'm saying.

February 22, 2011 10:33:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome.................or has that been said before.

February 22, 2011 11:23:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Earth to Alan, Earth to Alan, they have been "Making" this game for almost 4 years now, Your help in explaining the shortcomings of Stardocks problems is not helping ! I have been testing this game since Mar. 09, I am very aware of the fact that this a Beta, I would also expect that you could read a F-cking post or 2 and realize that this is not my first time around. Yet wisdom from the young is not to be expected!!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time: