War of Magic–Report Card

By on February 18, 2011 1:10:30 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491

Greetings! Relative to other games you’ve played this year how is Elemental: War of Magic doing? How are other games you’ve bought this year doing that were released in the same time doing?

Example:

AT RELEASE:

E: War of Magic:

Civilization V:

Starcraft 2:

Fallout: New Vegas:

END OF 2010:

Civilization V:

Starcraft 2:

Fallout: New Vegas:

NOW:

Civilization V:

Starcraft 2:

Fallout: New Vegas

Bonus question:

Did yesterday’s beta build (1.19c) solve your memory issues if you had them?

Locked Post 135 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 18, 2011 1:14:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First to the party!

[Edit] Where's the keg?

February 18, 2011 1:23:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

These are the only three "new" games I've purchased in the last six months.  Come back a month from now and I can add Shogun 2.

AT RELEASE:

E: War of Magic: F

Civilization V: D

Fallout: New Vegas: A-

END OF 2010:

E: War of Magic: C

Civilization V: C

Fallout: New Vegas: A

NOW:

Fallout: New Vegas:  A

Extra Credit:  Haven't had egregious memory issues, nor have I put enough time into the latest build to have an opinion (mostly because the change list brought very little to the table).

February 18, 2011 1:25:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have stopped playing Civ V due to AI/Diplo issues.  Though I've never crashed with it, I know many who have.  I will return to Civ V after another patch/fix is released but just to test it if anything.  It just doesn't grab my attention.

I have not had time to play EWoM in the last 2 weeks due to my share of tax revenue creation (ie work) but I hope to return to it this weekend...maybe if I get some time.

If I were able to state which of the two I gravitate towards to more, it would be EWoM.

If I can state which game keeps me playing when I do begin to play it, it would again be EWoM.

I don't have SCII--but I will be getting D3...even if I have to wait another century (yes, we are older than we think).

I also don't have FOVegas.

EDIT:

The only other game I purchased in 2010 was GalCivII, and I would give it a "B";

where EWoM is "C";

Civ V is a "Double 'F'".

-.-

February 18, 2011 1:32:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not sure of your exact criteria for the list, games we purchased in the last year? Games we played in the last year? Only games that were released in the last year? etc

My criteria.. purchased in the last year or so.

• E: War of Magic: C
  •  The Guild2 renaissance : C+
  • Arma 2 AO : B+

played for the first time in the last year but did not purchase.

• Gal civ 2: C
  • CIV V: C-

(I don't play alot of new games and stick mainly to my tried and true list unless something really piques my interest, and does not require usage of a drm scheme etc i don't want to use. The last year was slow for games that meet that criteria)

Just for a comparison ill do a list of games i've played in the last week.

• Battlefield 2 : B
  • Arma 2 AO :B+
  • Command and Conquer generals: C
  • Civilizations 4: A-
  • Final Fantasy Tactics : A
  • Sacred 2: C (I've had this game for 2 years and paid full price. Barely logged 20 hrs or so into it so figured i'd play it some)
  • Supreme Ruler 2020: B+
  • Never Winter Nights 2: B

If you haven't noticed a pattern.. games I would rate a B or higher are games I play alot,

Cs usually get played and then replayed on rare occasion .

Less than a C means i probably wouldn't buy it.

Btw I avoided the whole release question because I rarely if ever pay a premium to be an early adopter.

February 18, 2011 1:37:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gonna have to think about this, simply because my initial response was negative toward Elemental, and unfairly and I know why.  I play a lot of games, lots, but I tend to forget the ones I only play a little.  So my initial thought was thinking of games I played a lot in the last year, like Fallout New Vegas, and Draakensang.  So compared to those two games, I would put Elemental on a lower score...but that ignores the 20 other games I played a few times, or just for a few weeks and never picked up again.  Where as I played hundreds of hours of Elemental and post here a lot.  That has to mean something.  So all that in mind.

I have a hard time doi9ng a review of the games at different times, most games are not Stardock games, they are what they are and maybe some bugs are fixed, or some DLC is put out, but no major changes.

Fallout Las Vegas:

Release, end of 2010, now : A

One of my favorite games of all time.  Hardcore mode is a vast improvement to add to the feel of the world.  Tons of quest, interesting places to visit, choices, character builds, just a blast.  Love it deeply. 

Drakkensang: River of Time.  Improved character creator over original drastically improves replay value, but far less characters that can join party is a let down.  Voice acting is decent now, was terrible in first.  Fun quest, meaningful equipment, the anti-diablo, loot is rare.  Would like the crafting to be more fleshed out, but a very fun RPG. German game, can't even get a manual or latest patch, which kinda sucks balls. Give me empathy for all the non-American gamers out there that have to deal with those kind of things on a regular basis.

Release, end of 2010, now: B -

Elemental: War of Magic : At release, it was a very ambitious game, riddled with crashes, and far too many corner cutting design choices, (we want this neat thing, but can't make it work, so we will do this easier thing instead).  I think it tried to be too much, but still fun and interesting for awhile.  If not for the constant patching and changes, would have been put away long ago, kind of reminds me of conditioning experiments I use to do with rats in college.  The game is more stable now than at release, but not sure I can say it is more fun.  At release there were several minor factions, they are gone, the game has removed scale, chain, and patchwork armor, the weapons and armor are unbalanced still, and quest have been mostly ignored since release.  Population and people as a resource has been added, and mana in a global pool, but I don't see that as really making a significant change, it like substituting ingredientsin a cake, but having it come out tasting the same.  But it's a pretty good game really, it just could have been a lot better.  It just seems like a Monet painting, as a whole you have this great empire building 4x/RPG game, seems awesome, but the closer you look at each part, it seems they were done half ass. 

Release:C

end of 2010: C

Now: C+

February 18, 2011 2:05:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll rate the games out of 10 rather than by assigning grades (perhaps a bit more clear?). I also haven't played Civ V (yet?) so I've substituted it with Supreme Commander 2, Sword of the Stars (Complete) and Galactic Civilizations II Twilight.

Release:

• Elemental: 4/10
  • Starcraft 2: 8.5/10
  • Fallout New Vegas: 8/10
  • Supreme Commander 2: n/a, bought recently.
  • Sword of the Stars: n/a, bought recently.
  • Galciv Twilight: 8.5/10

End 2010:

• Elemental: 4.5/10
  • Starcraft 2: 8.5/10
  • Fallout New Vegas: 8/10
  • Supreme Commander 2: n/a, bought recently.
  • Sword of the Stars: 8.5/10

Now:

• Elemental: 5/10
  • Starcraft 2: 9/10
  • Fallout New Vegas: 8.5/10
  • Supreme Commander 2: 8/10
  • Sword of the Stars: 8.5/10
February 18, 2011 2:06:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hmm good question

i had some good time with CIV V and some good and bad times with elemental but not very long time too

i didnt try sc2 and fallout

E: War of Magic: 60

Civilization V:85

Starcraft 2: 0

Fallout: New Vegas:25 iam a fan of Fallout2

February 18, 2011 2:09:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The only other game I've played at all since the release of EWoM is CivV, and I haven't loaded that up in about two months now.  But here I sit trying my best to mod in some sort of decent spell system for EWoM in my every free minute.  I don't really play the game much right now, and if I do I use the wonderful mods which have been created.

I think what I find attractive about this game lies more in the potential of the seeds that have been planted.  This game, if given some careful attention, will become a classic in years to come.  The Civ series had a big hurdle to jump when they tried to improve on Civ IV.  Let's just say the hurdle won.

February 18, 2011 2:12:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

E: War of Magic:  Incomplete.  Haven't played in a few months but I did have fun when it was first released.  But things are changing so much I decided to set it aside and wait for Fallen Enchantress to get into playing again.  Probably won't play WoM again to be honest.

Civilization V:  Refused to buy because of Steamworks required.

Starcraft 2:  Did not buy, not my cup of tea.

Fallout: New Vegas:  Refused to buy because of Steamworks required.

My main game last year was Dragon Age: Origins and expansions.  A+ for that game.  I played thru completely 4 times.  Other then that it was playing old games like Oblivion for another run thru and "minor" games like Tropico 3.  Oh, and DDO again. 

February 18, 2011 2:33:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

At Release:

• Elemental: War of Magic: D-
  • Civilization V: B- 
  • New Vegas: B
  • Starcraft 2: A
  • River of Time: B
  • Distant World: C+
  • Star Ruler: D-

End of 2010:

• Elemental: War of Magic: C-
  • New Vegas: B+
  • Distant World: B+
  • Star Ruler: C

Now: 

• Elemental: War of Magic: C
  • New Vegas: B+
  • Distant World: A-
  • Star Ruler: C+

New Vegas would have obtained better grades if not for the Bethesda engine and the bugs. Obsidian did a wonderful job and have proven once again they're the best on the market when it comes to narratives. New Vegas, much like other Black Isle/Obsidian games, goes beyond having a simply "good storyline" and gives, as my favorite reviewer said, "a meticulous study of humanity in crisis situations".

River of Time is a nice little RPG. Not very original, but not completely dull either. A story that, for once, doesn't ask you to save the world. In many ways, you end up caring a bit more about the characters because it's all about them. And the atmosphere is a nice change from the grey/green/brown filters we often get in modern games (without falling into the Oblivion "dull forest" effect). RoT feels like a stroll at the countryside, and you want to sit down with a book and a sandwich.

Distant World was just a "good game" when it was released, but is now on the way to becoming the new space 4X reference. It's good, someone has to be the interim between 2 versions of GalCiv.

Civilization, just like War of Magic, has reached the maximum grade its current mechanics allow. A large amount of re-engineering of these games could change this, and it's more likely to happen in Elemental (with Fallen Enchantress) than in Civilization V, at this point.

Star Ruler is in the same situation. The choice of Newtonian mechanics was an interesting experiment, but sometimes experiments fail. There's some good stuff in there, but its currents mechanics will prevent further growth. 

Starcraft 2 delivers exactly what was expected: A very advanced competitive multiplayer scene, and a strong and modern single player component. So there's little more it could deliver. It's expensive though, and its non-multiplayer replayability is low compared to the competition (Dawn of War 2, also a very modern and awesome game).

February 18, 2011 2:35:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AT RELEASE:

E: War of Magic: D-

Starcraft 2: B

END OF 2010:

E: War of Magic: D

Civilization V: C+

Starcraft 2: A

NOW:

Civilization V: C+

Starcraft 2: A

Civ4 would have probably gotten a C on its release as well. These games don't really hit their stride until an expansion or two. Civ5 by nature of its "DLC" will probably never, ever sit well with me.  Starcraft 2 has an unfair advantage in the sense that it's not a remarkable departure from the first one and its stupid long dev cycle.  If I had were rating support and developers the scores would be a liiiittttllleeee different.

February 18, 2011 2:40:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AT RELEASE:

• E: War of Magic: F
  • Civilization V: C+
  • Sword of the Stars: E. This is the original 2006 release I'm talking about.
  • Magic the Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers: C+. Solid entertainment

END OF 2010:

• E: War of Magic: E
  • Civilization V: B
  • Sword of the Stars: A+. Now this is how a game should get patched and expanded over years IMHO.
  • Magic the Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers: D-. Single player replayability non-existing.

NOW:

• E: War of Magic: D-. I think AI champion fixes and tactical combat not charging blindly would improve to C. It's like there are two large areas in the game which the AI doesn't understand. Even the much hated Civ V AI seems better in combat than E:WoM tactical AI.
  • Civilization V: B+ (February patch notes included)
  • Guardians of Graxia: D. Too slow pace, would have needed some serious UI work after Allied General.

FROM RELEASE TO NOW (no large patches):

• Napoleon Total War: C. Package is sound, but just lacks spirit for me
  • King's Bounty: Armored Princess: B. Great tactical combat with a nice strategic map basically just acting as a stepping stone between the battles. The unit stats and abilities are something Elemental could learn from!
February 18, 2011 2:42:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow. Elemental is the only one on that list that I bought.

I hope you're proud of yourself Stardock. You got my money, no one else did.

Elemental's own Report Card:

Release - D 1.0

End of 2010 - B 3.0

Now - B+ 3.5

February 18, 2011 3:03:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AT RELEASE:

E: War of Magic: 4/10

Civilization V: 7/10

Distant Worlds: 8/10

MineCraft: 9/10

END OF 2010:

E: War of Magic: 6/10

Civilization V: 7/10

Distant Worlds: 9/10

NOW:

E: War of Magic: 7/10

Civilization V: 6/10

Distant Worlds: 9/10

February 18, 2011 3:04:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

E: War of Magic: 8.5/10 now (was about a 6 or 7/10 before)

Civilization V: 8/10 (still the same, they have had a few updates not much)

Starcraft 2: 9 (still 9/10)

Fallout: New Vegas: 9.5 (this game was about my 3rd fav of last year, but now I think its my fav, I have beaten it 3 times now. Its wierd to becaue I HATED Fallout3).

Drakensang: River of Time: 8/10 (Not that popular of rpgs, but I do like these Drakensang ones alot)

Madden 11 (on ps3): 3/10 (worst football game I have ever played)

February 18, 2011 3:05:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have spent more hours playing EWoM in the last couple of months than any other game on my hard drive. At release, the game was - WTF!?A couple of months ago it went up to B, and now it is a B+. Incidently, the only game I bought last year was Evochron Mercenary.

February 18, 2011 3:22:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting bonscott,
E: War of Magic:  Incomplete.  Haven't played in a few months but I did have fun when it was first released.  But things are changing so much I decided to set it aside and wait for Fallen Enchantress to get into playing again.  Probably won't play WoM again to be honest.

Civilization V:  Refused to buy because of Steamworks required.

Starcraft 2:  Did not buy, not my cup of tea.

Fallout: New Vegas:  Refused to buy because of Steamworks required.

My main game last year was Dragon Age: Origins and expansions.  A+ for that game.  I played thru completely 4 times.  Other then that it was playing old games like Oblivion for another run thru and "minor" games like Tropico 3.  Oh, and DDO again. 

Are you the same person as bonscott87 over at DBSTalk?

Based on your avatar I would say so, but just checking.

Small World(wide web).

February 18, 2011 4:09:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Release:

• Elemental: WoM - F
  • Civilization V - D+
  • Europa Universalis 3 - B-

End 2010:

• Elemental: WoM - C-
  • Civilization V - D+
  • Europa Universalis 3 (HttT) - B

Now:

• Elemental: WoM - C+
  • Civilization V - C-
  • Europa Universalis 3 (DW) - B-
February 18, 2011 4:27:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Release:

Elemental: F (Beta was shipped as finished product)

Mount and Blade Warband: C (Not terribly different from the original, but a decent improvement)

End of 2010:

Elemental: D- (A lot of bugs fixed, but the game has no direction or soul. Various aspects of the game have 0 synergy and a lot of the features I was looking forward to during development have been cut or did not live up to their potential.)

Mount and Blade Warband: B (Some great mods were enhancing gameplay, good patches fixed the minor issues)

Now:

Elemental: I don't play it. I keep tabs in the forums waiting for the Fallen Enchantress expansion or better support for modding. I am going to play it this weekend though to see where it stands now.

Mount and Blade Warband: B+ (Even better mods, a little room for improvement to vanilla.)

I bought various other games, but I hardly play them (Recettear, Trine being the only relatively new titles I can think of).

Master of Magic and Warband have been my games of choice lately.

February 18, 2011 4:30:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AT RELEASE:

E: War of Magic:  D

Civilization V:  B

END OF 2010:

E: War of Magic:  C-

Civilization V:  B+

Minecraft:  A-

NOW:

E: War of Magic:  C

Civilization V:  B+

Minecraft:  A-

February 18, 2011 4:35:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Release:

• Napoleon: Total War : B+
  • Elemental War of Magic: C+
  • Europa Universalis III (Heirs to the Throne): A+
  • Mass Effect 2: A+
  • Titans Quest Gold: B-
  • XIII Century: C+
  • Recetear: Item Shop Tale: A-
  • Dragon Age: Origins: A+

End 2010:

• Napoleon: Total War : A-
  • Elemental War of Magic: B-
  • Europa Universalis III (DivineWind): A+
  • Civilization V: C+
  • Titans Quest Gold: C-
  • XIII Century: D- (Battles are too scripted and require you to do very specific things. limiting gameplay to a single way to win in each map)
  • King's Bounty: The Legend: B+ (good suprise, I did not expect this game to be so good)
  • Dragon Age: Origins: A+
  • Torchlight: A+

Now

• Dawn of War II Gold: B-
  • Elemental War of Magic: B+
  • Europa Universalis III: A+
  • King's Bounty: The Legend: B+
  • Torchlight: A-

February 18, 2011 5:00:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AT RELEASE:

E: War of Magic: B - I didn't have a lot of the issue most had and thought the game was pretty fun.

Civilization V: N/A - haven't played

Starcraft 2: B - not bad, granted I'm new to the SC world so I didn't have any expectations

Fallout: New Vegas: N/A - haven't played

END OF 2010:

E: War of Magic: B - kind of waiting for the new systems to hash out to really get back into it, but my feelings about the game overall haven't really changed. I still enjoy it and am glad I got the game.

Starcraft 2: C+ - newness starting to wear off, not sure if the game just isn't for me or if just having a few sides is making it feel less deep/not many things to try.

NOW:

E: War of Magic: N/A - still waiting for things to settle in. So I won't grade it either way just yet. Also wondering about Fallen Enchantress and maybe might jump on that path since the games will be that different.

Starcraft 2: D+ - I've pretty much stopped playing right now, not even in single player. Still following the site to see if things change and just in case I get the itch again.

February 18, 2011 5:09:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AT RELEASE:
E: War of Magic:   F
Civilization V:     Didn't play
Starcraft 2:     A
Fallout: New Vegas:     Didn't play
END OF 2010:
E: War of Magic:      D
Civilization V:     N/A
Starcraft 2:     A
Fallout: New Vegas:     N/A
NOW:
E: War of Magic:      C-
Civilization V:     N/A
Starcraft 2:     B+
Fallout: New Vegas     N/A

I also have to mention, as far as comparing games, that I tried the Sword of the Stars Complete via Impulse while waiting for E:WoM to be worth playing. SOTS is so good, even with its minor failings, that I don't play Starcraft 2 much anymore and have completely stopping playing SoaSE and E:WoM (except for a few turns after every patch to see how it has changed.)

February 18, 2011 5:25:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not every game I've played in the last few months, but the most relevant and recent releases.

AT RELEASE:

E: War of Magic: D+

Europa Universalis III, Divine Wind: C+

Hearts of Iron III, Semper Fi: B-

Distant Worlds: B

Civilization V: Incomplete (did not purchase)

Mass Effect 2 (PS3): A

NOW:

E: War of Magic: C+

Europa Universalis III, Divine Wind: C+ (should be at least B+ after next patch, assuming it fixes naval morale and cascading alliances)

Hearts of Iron III, Semper Fi: B+

Distant Worlds, Return of the Shakturi: A

Civilization V: Incomplete (do not want to purchase)

Mass Effect 2 (PS3): A

February 18, 2011 5:55:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are the memory issues fixed for me?

No, absolutely not.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000407   Page Render Time: