Another lost customer to DRM

By on February 14, 2011 7:47:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sinij

Join Date 03/2006
+1

Dear Frog,

You finally lost me as a customer. I supported your products, I purchased Elemental despite knowing its sorry state from participating in Beta. I supported you because your games were DRM-free. Addition of dial-home DRM, log-in that you can't opt out of to something that previously had none is ultimate breach of Gamers Rights.

I will not be buying any of your products, ever again.

Fuck you,

Ex-customer

Locked Post 14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 14, 2011 7:57:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You're an idiot.

February 14, 2011 7:59:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Xan,
You're an idiot.

Quoted for truth.

February 14, 2011 7:59:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I assume you're talking about the beta patch for Elemental? ... It isn't DRM. It's just a way of letting the Devs send updated xml files to the game without having to put out another patch. The offical release patches do not call home, if you have issue with the game dialing back, then revert to a previous patch (an offical release) and wait for the next offical release patch.

I've seen a couple of people have this rather extreme reaction to this thing.. Honestly, the world isn't going to end because the game calls in for an update. It isn't spying on you, it isn't going to take your candy. You'll be just fine.

February 14, 2011 8:00:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

^What he said.^

February 14, 2011 8:00:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I shall admit I don't understand the technical terms like "dial-home DRM" and such, but I just want to put out the possibility that right now, it's in beta state, and requires the Internet for easier patching or something.  Once the beta is over, it will revert back to a no-Internet required state.  Hope that helps!  

edit: wow, so many responses before mine all of a sudden!

February 14, 2011 8:16:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've seen a couple of people have this rather extreme reaction to this thing..

True, it's not hard to install the game twice to seperate directories (one for betas and one for released). That way, if your internet connection is down, you can still play. But that would entail forethought, a commodity sadly lacking in most.

February 14, 2011 8:24:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting loondenhur,

I've seen a couple of people have this rather extreme reaction to this thing..

True, it's not hard to install the game twice to seperate directories (one for betas and one for released). That way, if your internet connection is down, you can still play. But that would entail forethought, a commodity sadly lacking in most.

But it is far more fun to lay your opinion out as powerfully as possible with a curse word and an ironic reference to being an ex-customer when one had already purchased the game!

February 14, 2011 8:29:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

Dear Frog,

You finally lost me as a customer. I supported your products, I purchased Elemental despite knowing its sorry state from participating in Beta. I supported you because your games were DRM-free. Addition of dial-home DRM, log-in that you can't opt out of to something that previously had none is ultimate breach of Gamers Rights.

I will not be buying any of your products, ever again.

Fuck you,

Ex-customer

Use Impulse to roll back to 1.1 and all your problems will be solved.  Well, maybe not ALL your problems.

Or freak out.  Whatever.

February 14, 2011 8:42:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I understand the desire to express ones discontent, even when you are mis-informed.  Closing with profanity, however, is unnecessary and  inexcusable.

On a side note, can we get this thread closed?

February 14, 2011 8:42:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

rant

Elemental is DRM free. The beta patches require internet so they can make minor changes without staging a new download. If you don't like that aspect then don't participate in the beta patches.

Release versions have never and never will require internet connection.

There is no added DRM.. not sure why your freaking out so much. But take a breather.. get informed, and maybe then you wouldn't make misinformed rants with vulgarities.

To repeat Elemental is DRM free.. and will be. Beta patches are simply tethered for ease of changes(this isn't new either.. last round of beta patches had the same thing.. which you participated in and didn't say shit about it then)... and that aspect will be removed on the release version of the patch. (1.2)

oh and btw.. fuck you too, ignorant piss ant who won't even take the time to find out what your issue is before you jump to the assumption that its evil stardock adding DRM and post a misinformed inflammatory rant. They could add DRM.. but they haven't and won't.. and yet you still freak out when you don't even know wtf your talking about.

Every time i see a post like this it makes me wish they would have an IQ test in order to download the GD beta patches. There are plenty of legit gripes to have with the game... but bitching about non existent DRM is beyond retarded.

February 14, 2011 9:18:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You're lost alright but I doubt DRM caused it.

February 14, 2011 9:24:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It all comes down to this; elemental is playable without DRM. When you sign up to download betas, you - YOU - say it's ok to install that piece of DRM. You don't have to do that. You choose to.

Could it be more clear that the beta comes with DRM? Absolutely!

February 14, 2011 9:45:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

February 14, 2011 9:51:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Beta versions poll the servers for the latest XML files so that the devs can update them without needing to publish a new update via Impulse. This behavior can be disabled by a command line switch, or avoided by simply not opting in for beta updates. It is not present at all in release versions.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000016   Page Render Time: