The ultimate explanation of why EWOM has been... less successful so far

By on February 3, 2011 6:14:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kamamura_CZ

Join Date 03/2006
+31

Everyone knows (and it was statistically proven), that every successful computer game must contain at least one of these:

• Ninja
  • Pirate
  • Zombie
  • Robot

Best to combine them into a single unit for maximum effect:

http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Ninja_pirate_zombie_robot

How many of these are EWOM uses? I am not sure about zombies, but I have failed to meet a single Robot or Ninja so far. Unacceptable, please fix with the next patch!

Examples of successful designs:

http://www.ninjalovespirate.com/

Locked Post 32 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 3, 2011 6:20:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I though it was Ninja, Pirate and Dinosaur that any movie or games has to have?!

Today you probably need to add Vampires to the list

February 3, 2011 9:31:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Only vampires confused about there identity.  Normal vampires are boring these days.... 

February 3, 2011 9:35:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nazi badguys are good too.  Everyone loves to kill Nazi. 

February 3, 2011 9:59:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Modern vampires = no real weaknesses, godlike powers, and no downsides as far as needing to kill.  The only problems they run into have to do with moronic emotion based decisions that they make.  Kinda lame.  I hope they never make the list.

February 3, 2011 10:19:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When most of the world is kids obsessed with Twilight and Vampire Diary and similar stuff it is hard to ignore it if you want to earn money in the entertainment business.

February 3, 2011 10:59:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And I thought it was because of the bland world, lack of champion skill trees, bad AI, poor UI, no real distinctions between factions and races, boring weapons, armor, and items, tech tree quagmire, performance issues, and not enough quests... guess I was wrong.

February 3, 2011 11:05:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Trojasmic,
And I thought it was because of the bland world, lack of champion skill trees, bad AI, poor UI, no real distinctions between factions and races, boring weapons, armor, and items, tech tree quagmire, performance issues, and not enough quests... guess I was wrong.

Hahahahahaha. 

February 3, 2011 11:13:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Damn... and just when I thought this thread was a waste of my time, Trojasmic's ultimate post completely rocked my world

Incredible.

February 3, 2011 11:33:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Trojasmic,
I guess you play the game because of the music!

Also, this thread is epic fail because obviously the ultimate explanation involves epic sized boobs and chainmail microbikinis.

And bacon.

February 3, 2011 11:34:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When most of the world is kids obsessed with Twilight and Vampire Diary and similar stuff it is hard to ignore it if you want to earn money in the entertainment business.

So you think that Twilight became so successfull because they simply copied?
I´d rather guess they became so successfull because they delivered something new (well, not new like in "nothing even remotely similar ever existed", more like in "a new mixture of known elements").
Vamp-Diaries seems to have been able to ride the shockwave that Twilight triggered but such things never last for long.

The best recipe for a huge success might be innovation.
Of course, clearing your own path involves much greater immediate risks, but at least in the long run it will possibly be more rewarding.

February 3, 2011 12:09:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Nazi badguys are good too.  Everyone loves to kill Nazi. 

Honestly though, those usually end up occupying the same slot as zombies. Nazi zombies is an instant win.

February 3, 2011 12:27:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Infantes,

So you think that Twilight became so successfull because they simply copied?
I´d rather guess they became so successfull because they delivered something new (well, not new like in "nothing even remotely similar ever existed", more like in "a new mixture of known elements").
Vamp-Diaries seems to have been able to ride the shockwave that Twilight triggered but such things never last for long.

The best recipe for a huge success might be innovation.
Of course, clearing your own path involves much greater immediate risks, but at least in the long run it will possibly be more rewarding.

If by "new" you mean merged pre-teen romance with vampires, then yes.

February 3, 2011 12:35:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Twilight sucks.

February 3, 2011 12:39:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The movies do, the books I hear are a lot more violent and not filled with sparkly vampires and guys that are always shirtless. But I'm still not touching them with a 10 foot pole.

February 3, 2011 12:43:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've heard the books are written exceptionally poorly, and that's good enough for me to avoid them like the plague. 

February 3, 2011 12:50:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm getting the feeling this thread is just a thinly veiled marketing attempt for a certain other computer game.

February 3, 2011 12:58:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

PacMan?

February 3, 2011 1:24:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Meh , no TF2 hats on that list .

February 3, 2011 2:09:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

While i tend to favor 'quality' literature, and quality cinema, the twilight series has entertained me in a manner that other vamp/undead have not.  Yes, the quality of writing could be improved.  Yes, the story does include teenage angst.  But it also speaks, in a fresh manner, to the universal human condition - and that i appreciate.

Now, why is EWOM not 'succeeding?'  (Whatever that means?).  For me, what makes a scifi or fantasy interesting has two parts.  One part is presenting the user with a constantly shifting challenge that presents interesting choices while enhancing the sense of wonder, of 'being there.'  Being there is what fiction writers refer to as 'suspending disbelief.'  The second part is eye candy.  Elemental's world is drab.  Yes, its an after the Holocaust, dessicated, river less, almost waterless expanse of desert.  Where are the beautiful colors the original pastel concept are showed?  Lost in a cacki colored world.

February 3, 2011 2:27:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very good points as usual, Elana.

The basics of the way the world is designed, makes it feel generic, and not a true "world".  Quest spots are generic, even for quest that are interesting and provide unique rewards.  Like the Magic armor quest or the dragon quest.  There should be one spot on the map to do that quest, and that spot should stand out.  I think the lore, the ideas, and all are in Brads head, and they need to come out in the game.

February 3, 2011 4:53:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, Xia,  'generic' is a good way to describe it.  I agree, thanks.  I'm not sure how to address the generic aspects of EWOM.  FFH2 continues to draw me into its lore.  I write stories for the character in FFH2, even nameless commanders.  EWOM hasn't drawn me in, thus far.

You suggest several things that resonate with me:  Perhaps, a number of unique terrain locations would help some.  Yes, perhaps making quests 'last' several turns - not just an instant response to 'entering' the goodie hut.  Rewards of a unique nature, yes.  I think that many of the rewards should, like the winning entry in the quest contest, be, metaphorically speaking, double edged swords.  Many rewards should have an 'up' side, and a 'down' side.

SMAC had leader quotes, and quality quotes when discoveries were made.  Perhaps, the lore could be revealed, in part, by  what the SOVs and heroes say when they have a heart to heart with the player sov.   Perhaps some goodie huts might yield tablets that tell about the past, and reveal the story line.  Researching in a lost lib/temple might do this.  Distant worlds has a story line that gets revealed as the game unfolds. And as it unfolds, the nature of the galaxy is modified.

Might these kinds of thing help EWOM? Might they be viable methods for Brad to share the lore / story with us players?

February 9, 2011 8:16:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trojasmic's post made me laugh as well, because he summed up all my complaints about War of Magic in a single paragraph.

I also agree With Elena and Xia. Nothing about Elemental draws me into the lore, and because there is nothing new, interesting or innovative about it, it just feels like a poor rip-off of the D&D darksun campaign setting. The game world is bland and featureless, and the factions dont stand out either.

I didnt play MoM when it first came out, I tried it for the first time about 6 months ago when reading stories about it from the fans on these forums. I was immediately gripped by the game though, and having radically different and interesting factions really drew me in. The completely random game maps were fun to explore and everything about it just seemed to have a charming quality.

I have played FFH2 and was very impressed at how much variety Kael managed to put into the different factions. Not only were basic units different, but factions really had a lot of character to them and felt like they played very differently too.

SMAC was an amazing game and I would list it amongst my most favorite games played. Including the different faction leaders into the tech descriptions really helped flesh them out, and give them a lot of character. I started off liking the military based spartans with their commander Santiago (who was smoking hot!) before eventually moving onto the gaians with their embrace of the planet (and hefty efficiency bonuses!). I remember one particularly long and gruesome war involved me using several planet buster bombs on Chairman Shengs hive cities. I tried to make peace with him after decimating his civilisation, only to be refused and told that I was a "heartless butcher, responsible for the deaths of millions of citizens" or something to that effect. It was one of those really memorable gaming moments for two reasons, firstly that the AI was smart enough to recognise my true nature, and secondly, because some programmer had taken the time and effort to code in that kind of response. It really helped bring the faction to life and drew me into the "consequences" of my warmongering.

February 9, 2011 8:22:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Twilight ripped off Buffy and called it new. It is poorly written, but with the average intellect declining so rapidly it seems to fit the generation it was written for. I would guess the next popular book series will be a space western.

February 9, 2011 8:29:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Seanw3, so you mean we will see Star Trek the original series again?

February 10, 2011 8:01:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know its big one, but right on topic: (sorry if that's too big for some).

no dinosaurs

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000031   Page Render Time: