Why should I buy this product now?

By on January 24, 2011 1:47:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

JonnieR

Join Date 01/2010

I am a fan of Stardock strategy games, having said that I have read the most horrendous reviews of Elemental that I could imagine. I would suspect that there is something to them since they all virtually come to the same conclusion, that the game was essentially unfinished at introduction and had numerous bugs and failings. (4.0 from gamespot, give me a break, complete failures rate a 5, but the user ratings averaged out 6)

Now if we got rid of all the game companies that release a title before its out of Beta there wouldn't be any game companies left. Having said that I would like to know that the company is working hard to correct the problems. I did read one review of the game now that revision 1.11 is available and its conclusion was to wait until the first add-on was released before purchasing the game. It did say that 1.11 made some progress in correcting the faults. I have listened to Bruce Wardell talk about his vision for the game and I found it both inspiring and perhaps overly ambitious, which is not a bad thing as long as he and Stardock are commited to continue to work on the game to make those ambitions a reality.

I would love to love this game. Why should I buy it now?

Locked Post 73 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 24, 2011 1:52:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bruce Wardell is Brad's brother, Toadboy.

Should you buy it now?  No, I would wait and get Fallen Enchantress, the expansion pack that will be a stand alone game.

January 24, 2011 2:12:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It depends on your expectations.

I probably have 45 hours played and now have no great desire to play the game until they get the AI plugged-in and working.  If you are looking for some entertainment that will last 25 to 50 hours, well, I think Elemental can keep you entertained for that long.  If you are looking for a game that you can play ceaselessly or require more play time per dollar spent, it isn't there yet. 

Elemental is a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 in it's current state.  But once/if the AI arrives, the game could really take off.  I mean, most wargamers want a challenge - or at least a struggle - before we sack some cities and conquer empires. 

EM

January 24, 2011 2:30:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Posting in an epic thread.

January 24, 2011 2:54:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Buy it now...that will help Brad pay Jon and Derek for another week.

January 24, 2011 2:56:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why should you buy the game? Maybe because you want to? That seems like a good reason. Ok kidding aside, it all depends on what you want? I just have made a post a few weeks ago just asking what you did. I asked Brad if he recomends the game now, when before he said to stay away.

I was so shocked with his candor, and honesty, I went and go the game. Am I disapointed? No. Do I think it's a great or awsome game? No. It's an ok game, which for me at least, I never have done before so it is something new and fun.

What I like is I can customoize my "Soverieng" or main unit to what I want. It is like a roll playing game the way he/she is upgraded. Combat is a bit better than the Civ series and you can customize your units to what you want. There is alot of research and the tech tree is better than Civ V. I still don't understand how it works exactly, but I think it's something like MOO II mixed in with Alpha Centouri, that you research something say (sorry forget the names and this is wrong but you get the idea) Agriculture/Mining. So once you research something, you pick either Farming, Mining or banking. Once you pick them, you go to the next level. I am not sure if you can go back to mining if you picked farming, since I am brain dead sometimes.

Combat is not ping pong ball combat, you pick a unit and tell it to attack what ever unit you want. It is not really exciting like in Moo or MOO II but better than Civ.

The game is a little bland or boring. By that, I mean while the art work is nice, the land scape seems empty. It's like something is missing but I can't put my finger on it. I wish there was something more. I guess where you can say Civ IV can sometimes be too cluttered with trees/forests and jungles, Elemental, is too uncluttered, or nothing there. The trees don't really look like massive forests. Water or the seas is nothing there. So far I haven't seen any fish or clams or anything like that to birghten it up. I guess when you have a Farm, it's very scattered, and you don't make them like in Civ.

But graphics is not everything. Masters of Orion, the first one, was just ok, but it was one of the most fun games ever. I rather have game play over graphics any day. So far, I am enjoying the game. I am sure I can have be having more fun, BUT, I am enjoying the game more than I am with Civ V. With Civ V, 2K/Firaxis hyped it up so much, that it didn't deliever. I guess, with the low expectations for Elemental, that with 1.11, my expectations are better.

Hopefully a demo will be out for you to try. As I said before, how can you not support someone who admitted they screwed up, they said they are sorry, and for people who bought the game when it came out, is giving them free expansions, and saying not to buy his game back then, how can you not just support the guy? Like I said before, I asked him now, and he ANSWERED. Where else do you see the CEO answer a persons question if his game is any good. The game is $40 off Impulse now, so I took the chance to get it. Yes it can be better but I don't regreat buying it.

Another thing is the manual is not that good. Game is hard to learn, but we have a great community here on the forums so if you buy the game and need help, ask here and you will have your answers in a few hours to a day. Great community indeed.

So I would say get the game, if you want something new. While you will not get the free expansions (I will not either) I believe when the first expansion comes out, we are told that we will get a discount. How true is this, I am not sure. But if you want a city builder game, where you can customize your troops like Alpha Centarui, then I say take the risk.

Then again, with the title. "Why should I buy the game?" seems a little harsh, it should be rephrased "Should I buy the game?" I think you should not get the game and wait. Again, you buy a game because you want to, not because you have to. Other wise you will have a mess like Civ V where critics say "You should buy the game" which is completely wrong.

January 24, 2011 3:00:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh I do have one problem with Elemental. When I click end of turn, I am waiting and waiting, for my turn. The reason why I wait? Because it goes so fast, I don't even realize that it went by. So far in the begining of the game as soon as you hit end of turn, it is so fast, not like in Civ V and other games where you wait 20 seconds or more between turns. 1 second inbetween turns is so nice and makes the game go faster.

January 24, 2011 3:02:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting HsojVvad,
Oh I do have one problem with Elemental. When I click end of turn, I am waiting and waiting, for my turn. The reason why I wait? Because it goes so fast, I don't even realize that it went by. So far in the begining of the game as soon as you hit end of turn, it is so fast, not like in Civ V and other games where you wait 20 seconds or more between turns. 1 second inbetween turns is so nice and makes the game go faster.

That's a problem? I think the reverse, that Civ and others are at fault for taking so long to end a turn.

January 24, 2011 3:05:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I had the same question a few weeks ago and went ahead and bought it. I enjoyed it but I agree with HsojVvad that is a little bland and boring right now. It didn't grab me with the "one more turn" thing a great TBS should have.

So I've now shelved it and will give it another try when the expansion arrives. Maybe before if the patches are really amazing, but I doubt it. From what Stardock has said really substantial changes will not be coming until Fallen Enchantress. And I believe those changes will be good so I'll definitely try it out then.

So the danger, if you want to call it that, is that you pick it up now and are under-whelmed, and then leave it and never come back to it. But your mileage may vary, and you may love it now.

January 24, 2011 3:59:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

Should you buy it now?  No, I would wait and get Fallen Enchantress, the expansion pack that will be a stand alone game.

Have they said the expansion will be a stand alone? When?

January 24, 2011 4:01:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Yamhee,

Quoting Lord Xia,
reply 1

Have they said the expansion will be a stand alone? When?

Yes, several times including multiple threads by Frog and Kael.

January 24, 2011 4:29:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Perhaps you could tell us what your expectations are, or at the very least your level of experience at these types of games. The reason I state this is becuase of what you will see in response to this kind of question, either 'yes' or 'no, because'.

In my opinion, if you are a hardcore gamer of these types of games, it's not quite there yet. Lots of postings about balance issues (yeah, there are some annoying bugs too, but 1.19 coming this week will be better still) at low levels that I have yet to experience.  I am more a casual player, and family/work commitments stop me playing this for hours on end (like I want to).  Having now spent many hours (bit by bit, since buying it within 2 weeks of launch) and reaching the point of playing challenging level I can honestly say I love 1.11.  The game will continue to grow and improve, and Fallen Enchantress should make (not break) this game. It looks great, and has an addiction factor even with it's problems.

I have seen it on sale in numerous stores (sorry Stardock, sending them away from the download option....) and worth picking up now.  But that's just my opinion. Can't go wrong with Stardock if you give it time either way.

January 24, 2011 7:48:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting impinc,

Quoting HsojVvad, reply 6Oh I do have one problem with Elemental. When I click end of turn, I am waiting and waiting, for my turn. The reason why I wait? Because it goes so fast, I don't even realize that it went by. So far in the begining of the game as soon as you hit end of turn, it is so fast, not like in Civ V and other games where you wait 20 seconds or more between turns. 1 second inbetween turns is so nice and makes the game go faster.

That's a problem? I think the reverse, that Civ and others are at fault for taking so long to end a turn.

I think the term here is sarcasm.  I hope.

January 24, 2011 8:14:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes it was sacrasm. I forgot to put in the smiley face. It was to make you think a for a second. .

I think this is a great feature in Elemental that they can have so fast inbetween turns. I have never EVER seen a game process so fast.

January 24, 2011 8:33:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for the helpful rsponses. Is it true that they are offering a discount on the Fallen Enchantress when it is released if you buy the current version of Elemental War of Magic (V1.11 I believe)? If that is the case and Stardock certainly appears to ber commited to this game, then I don't see why not to buy the game now. The premise is interesting and the AI seems to be getting better and offering more of challenge and there really isn't anything else out on the horizon that's similar. If they can get the AI up to the level of Galciv 2 on the most difficult level with CPU intensive AI algorithms turned on EVOM should be quite a challenge.

January 26, 2011 4:13:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love these threads...

If you have the money to buy it now, and you're convinced it's going to be what you want it to become (or maybe it already is) then sure, why not buy it now?

The issues and difficulties of the game are well documented, and you've done your homework, and none of that bothers you, so sounds like a deal should be made.

Unless you've been here since the beta, well not a part of the beta obviously, and have some other reason(s) for waiting (as I do) then sounds like you know what you're getting into and will enjoy it or not right now, but are willing to bank on the promise of what's to come.

I would only be able to voice one potential concern.  And that is if you get the game now, understanding it's not 'finished', and wind up being extremely dissatisfied with it in it's current form, will that hurt your appreciation or enjoyment of later iterations?  I went through this with Distant Worlds (which is different, but the idea is the same), got it early, thought it would be great, it wasn't.  It needed heavy patching and help.  Did it get that?  I assume it did, but that first bite killed it for me, I had no interest in it anymore.  My loss perhaps, but it's just another perspective to think about.

I can tell you that in part that is why I have not yet touched Elemental, I saw (well heard) the sorry shape it was in, and simply did not want to have what it might eventually become (to me, hey it's all about what you like, it's your money and your time) always have that ugly stain of what it was on it.  Of course not everyone will think that way, and if you don't then no worries eh?  I've been playing computer games since 1980, I've seen a lot of great, I've seen a lot of terrible, and of course, all the mediocre that fits in between.  Maybe I'm jaded, maybe I got burned too often, but I just can't bear to deal with buggy/unfinished/but look at the potential! junk anymore.  Now I don't think those are current descriptions of Elemental, well the last is, but I'm just going to wait for Enchantress, and see what the situation is at that point.

January 26, 2011 6:43:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Interesting about Distant Worlds, I did not buy it, but came to the conclusion (after some research) that life was too short to help some Euros rewrite their program and, apparently, I have dodged a bullet. However, there is one important difference here; there were other 4x space strategy games available. Besides if it didn't come up to the level of GalCic 2 why bother.

My read on Elemental is that it is somewhat unique and there is is no other 4x fantasy strategy game that quite measures up. At least none that I am aware of. So, while I agree with you there are risks (primarily with regard to my precious available game playing time), and frustratioin level (which could ruin the game for me forever) the uniqueness of the playing experience, providing it works out, may be worth the risk.

I love these threads too. People normally tell it like it is, which you will certainly not get from listening to game companies or even the so-called experts that review games. Thanks for the comments.

January 26, 2011 7:22:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@ the OP:

If you truly are a fan of Stardock's strategy games, then you already know that they are working very hard to make Elemental better.

January 26, 2011 7:41:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Get the game I say. Its alot of fun but it does have some issues (ai and a few other thing), but the good far outweigh the bad imo.

Its got the same addicting gameplay as MOM and Civilization imo. I keep saying just one mroe turn then its 2-4 hours later.

I have already gotten my moneys worth in this game and its onyl goign to get better. The game shippped with alot of issues but its been updated alot so far and alot more coming.

Cant wait to see what the expansion is like and if it improves as much as the game has since its been shipped.

Its not perfect, but there is alot there to enjoy imo.

January 26, 2011 9:29:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am itching to play. The reason I am not playing? There is suppose to be a patch out tomorrow. So instead of investing hours and hours this week and not be able to finish the game, I will wait till tomorrow. So yes get the game. You might find it sucks, but I believe you are like me.

Very leary of getting the game. Am I disapointed with it? Yes. Do I like the game? Yes I do. I am enjoying the game. I seem to be liking the begining of the exploration of the game. I haven't gotten far, keep learning new things, keep restarting. But I am glad I paid the $40 for it. I was going to get the collectors edtion, but Brad suggested not to get the Collectors edtion, but the regular edtion. He could have said "Yeah pay $80 for it." but he didn't.

I believe he is correct. The game is fun. It is enjoyable, at least for me, starting with 1.11. If I was like others, who came before it, I might have a difference of opnion. Then again, they will be getting the expansions for free, while I will get it for a discount hopefully.

January 29, 2011 5:00:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting shadowtongue,
I love these threads...
I would only be able to voice one potential concern.  And that is if you get the game now, understanding it's not 'finished', and wind up being extremely dissatisfied with it in it's current form, will that hurt your appreciation or enjoyment of later iterations?  I went through this with Distant Worlds (which is different, but the idea is the same), got it early, thought it would be great, it wasn't.  It needed heavy patching and help.  Did it get that?  I assume it did, but that first bite killed it for me, I had no interest in it anymore.  My loss perhaps, but it's just another perspective to think about.

Re Distant Worlds, wanted to add that I started playing it last month and with the Return of the Shakturi expansion, it is now an excellent game. No idea how it was several months ago, but I find it polished, stable, deep and enjoyable. Top of my list right now. So you may want to give it another look.

January 29, 2011 5:11:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with gmot. Distant Worlds is a great game. I am shocked that Impulse doesn't carry it. I still wish there was more of my personal requests, but then again, don't we all want that?

January 29, 2011 5:16:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting HsojVvad,

Then again, with the title. "Why should I buy the game?" seems a little harsh, it should be rephrased "Should I buy the game?" I think you should not get the game and wait. Again, you buy a game because you want to, not because you have to. Other wise you will have a mess like Civ V where critics say "You should buy the game" which is completely wrong.

I was following up until you made a snipe about Civ5. I understand people not liking Civ5, or being disappointed in it, but if you are willing to give Elemental the benefit of the doubt then you should be willing to do the same for Civ5. Given said benefit, there's no comparison between the games, no matter how upset you might be about simplified mechanics of Civ5.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question: Not right now, but possibly after 1.2 if you're willing to accept an okay game. As of 1.1, this game is still bad. Nearly everything you do will be an exploit that makes the AI a complete pushover. It's a little fun to learn these things, not very fun after that. However if 1.2 gets it's some important balance tweaks to its balance before release, then it might finally be playable. However, this is assuming that you purposefully play dumb in tactical fights, or just auto-resolve everthing.

January 29, 2011 5:34:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tried Civ V. I stopped and went back to it and played it again. I gave it a rest and went back to it again, and then finally came here.

Yes Civ V is a fun game, but it has alot of problems, just like Elemental does. Then again, since you mentioned it, how come Elemental and New Vegas gets lamblasted for bugs and poor game play, while Civ V has NOT ONE MENTION of BUGS? I am not upset of the simplified mechanics of Civ V. I am a big critic of Civ V on the 2K forums. I also praise where Civ V does well. But if these "profonsal reviewers" can lamblast Elemental and NV and praise Civ V when it clearly doesn't deserve it, I can just be as harsh of Civ V as well.

Both games can be compared. Before release both games claimed great game play. Both games failed on that. Both game came out early and unfinished. Both games need patching, got patching and both still need more patching. While Civ V gets praises, Elemental gets the opposite? Is that fair? No. Why is this? Who knows. (I will not go into my theory as to why )

Both games do seem fun now after 2 or 3 major patches.  We can also compare how the companies treat their fans. One company doesn't let their developers be talked to, while the other lets their developers talk to their fans and people who bought the game.

One company feels giving a free DLC is enough for the heart aches people had to try and get the game to run and poor game play, while another comapny APOLOGIES and admits they made a mistake and offers 1 or 2 free expansions for people who were with them from DAY ONE.

Both games are becoming more fun, and both still need huge improvements. I have an open mind about Civ V. After 60 or so hours, it's time for a break and come back in a few months or so. So now it's time for Elemental. I will critizie and praise the game honestly as well. I just need more time with Elemental, just like I did with Civ V before I start critizing the game.

January 29, 2011 5:38:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it has more to do with the number of people having bugs and issues. I personally have more CTD on my laptop on Civ5 than on Elemental, but that's a very rare case.

January 29, 2011 6:58:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I swear to sweet cheesy pizza Jesus, what is it with these threads? 

Every day, someone seems to post either a "Should I buy (I herd it bad)?" or a "Bought the game (it are bad)!" thread. Buy it or don't, it's your fricken money! And if you hate it or love it, great for you, why don't you take a picture and submit it for chicken feed or some such.

Could we just sticky one of each and call it a day? It's the same stuff every single time, to the point that half the entries are almost certainly copypasta.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000532   Page Render Time: