Is Elemental enjoyable now?

By on January 5, 2011 4:51:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

gmot

Join Date 06/2006
+3

Is this game honestly enjoyable now? Should I buy it with the 1.1 patch, or wait for the next one? Are there still major issues preventing people from enjoying it? Looked at it back in the fall and decided to wait until some of the problems were worked out first - has that time come?

I like in-depth strategy games, perferably turn-based, with lots of playing options, but not obsessive micro-mangement. I've liked previous Stardock games - e.g. GC2, also Civ series, EU3, Distant Worlds, too many to mention going back to the Vic20 days.

Locked Post 86 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 9, 2011 3:07:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think I was one of the first pre-orders and just now sat down to play elemental.  I could never get the beta to run on my old laptop, got the new one replaced, and heard all the bad stuff about Elemental so wasn't excited to dive in.  In fact, I was pretty bitter for a while that I "wasted" my money but have gotten over it.

By way of background, I love deep and flavorful strategy games - my favorite is probably Dominions 3, but like lighter stuff, like HOMM or WBC.  Warlords Battlecry 3 is light on strategy but rich on theme, humor and flavor.  I really like the art style and attempt to meld various concepts together in Elemental, like unit design, magic research, adventure, etc.  The problem I have with it is it feels quite generic under the hood, kind of like a spreadsheet.  An example is the manual I got: Urxen: Another Fallen race, they are smaller than Trogs and are less effective in battle, but more productive" - that does nothing to fire up the imagination. 

Here is what a couple minutes of thought could create: "Urxen are skittish and frenetic chittering humanoids that worship the fiery monkey demon Bloodfinger (husband of the moon goddess). They dwell in large temple complexes where the braziers unrelenting flames consume the sacrificial victims of outlying villages throughout the dry season until the torrential rains fall."  In other words, the world of Elemental feels kind of flavorless and lonely to me.  WHen I play the game, I have no sense for what my nation is like, what they believe in, and what am I doing.  It feels like I am solving a math problem - do I get food or materials first?

I think there is a lot of potential there, and I don't mean to be a dick, I just would like to see some imagination go into the world so you can feel like there is something different about the kingdoms other than one has a technology bonus and one has a research bonus. 

January 9, 2011 10:39:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nrich61,
i still crash as much in 1.11 as 1.1 , its hacking me off -.-

Try playing a New 1.11 game, after removing all older Custom Units and Sovereigns.

At least you wont crash till you reach turn 250+

Ive started a new 1.1 game, Large and in-charge Map, ridiculous difficulty for Map as well as *all* 8 opponents. Already, by turn 60 or so, one Faction has been killed off, and Ive paid ransom twice to my neighboring AI. 

January 9, 2011 11:53:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

game is still to hard even on Novice

January 9, 2011 1:27:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leomund,
... I think there is a lot of potential there, and I don't mean to be a dick, I just would like to see some imagination go into the world so you can feel like there is something different about the kingdoms other than one has a technology bonus and one has a research bonus. 

Perhaps because he's primarily a software tools developer and not a toymaker, Brad's public discussion about Elemental's problems focuses on technical problems and development process problems. I'm pretty sure that's the same reason that GalCiv 1 & 2 were very low on flavour/ambiance, but the Elemental project has caused the Stardock game folks to finally rethink their treatment of 'mere content.'

One of the new hires is apparently assigned to take charge of fixing the class of problems to which you're pointing. I'm a very frustrated, very long-term follower of this project and I'm somehow maintaining hope that these staffing changes will not only make sure that simple things like the flavor text for a faction description are better, but that at least some game mechanics will finally start looking and playing like they're part of a specific fantasy setting and not a bunch of generic role-playing game constructs running around without a referee behind the screen.

January 9, 2011 2:04:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The game lacks flavor as many people have pointed out.  Dominions 3 was brought up; despite being basic in tech, it is oozing life and flavor.  Hopefully Elemental can become that.

Regarding fun:  It's there.  It's just... as people have said, it's rather souless.

Not nearly as bad as I expected, but good god, when you guys in the forum said things were lifeless and lacking flavor, you\weren't kidding.  That is probably the most important aspect of a fantasy game of any stripe; hope they infuse the world with some life.

In fact, that's what I want more than anything else.

The fun is definitely there though!  Go buy it!

January 9, 2011 3:32:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Their hires prove the dedication. Let's just be patient and, as customers, grant the time they need to pull it all together.

January 9, 2011 5:59:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting AlLanMandragoran,
Their hires prove the dedication. Let's just be patient and, as customers, grant the time they need to pull it all together.

Patience is a virtue I can get behind, but Brad's an ardent capitalist, so 'we the community' are obliged to maintain our own personal standards of excellence whilst we work on our ability to be patient.

January 9, 2011 6:32:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Talking about UI... when it comes to building Cities, I don't really feel like the game gives me enough information on which buildings I need and what are the (dis)advantages of building certain buildings rather than others...  So I end up randomly generating buildings with no idea if I really needed them or not.

Am I alone here?

January 10, 2011 12:41:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you like Galactic Civilizations than you may like Elemental. Much the same game really just in a different setting but without the alien races.

Not really like MOM at all except it is based in a fantasy world. Lots and lots of work needs to be done to make it better but this game is in no way like MOM nor will it be but it does resemble GalCiv and lots of people enjoyed that game and still do.

January 10, 2011 1:26:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fistalis,

Quoting nrich61, reply 69i still crash as much in 1.11 as 1.1 , its hacking me off -.-

The price to research a tech goes up as your lvl inceases in that tech.. so if I choose tech A at level one its cheap.. but if I take tech B first then go for Tech A its more expensive. I personally would like to see this altered in "some way". Maybe assign level values to each tech rather than base the research costs off your level.

This is correct.  

read into that as you will, "some way" incoming perhaps

January 10, 2011 1:37:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DariasDruss,
If you like Galactic Civilizations than you may like Elemental. Much the same game really just in a different setting but without the alien races.

Not really like MOM at all except it is based in a fantasy world. Lots and lots of work needs to be done to make it better but this game is in no way like MOM nor will it be but it does resemble GalCiv and lots of people enjoyed that game and still do.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Frankly, with all due respect to GalCiv (which is awesome) I'd prefer a little more MoM and a little less GalCiv in my Elemental.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: