And you decide to hire the guy that could do great things for elemental???

By on January 5, 2011 11:44:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

xStarfirex

Join Date 10/2009
+6

Yeh so atm there is that other thread, which lets be honest isn't the most welcoming thread for Jon to be reading in his first week here. I would like to think we as a community are at the very least a balanced sort so I figure why not have a place for positive opinions of Mr Shafer. So yeh, heres your place for Jon Shafer love, Oh and don't get bogged down in petty things like the "Truth" or "Facts" I am looking for the more positive side of our little elemental community to shine through.

Right I will start us off.

Welcome to Elemental Jon!!   I admire alot of aspects of your previous work and based on what Brad and others say about you I feel you are a great fit for the job role they have given you here. You seem to have a good sense of humor and I hope over time these forums come to feel like a second home to you (that is unless you already have more than one home, in which case more like a 3rd or 4th home).

Ps: Is it true that you once saved a whole group of kittens from almost certain death with just great game design alone?  If it is that's pretty awesome man.

Locked Post 206 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 5, 2011 11:59:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Absolutely, Welcome Jon.  You will soon get to know all of us, I am the quiet sweet one.

January 5, 2011 12:02:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Absolutely, Welcome Jon.  You will soon get to know all of us, I am the quiet sweet one.

Bashfull?

January 5, 2011 12:05:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Playing coy are we, Xia? Trying to get on his good side? I thought you were Brad's lovechild/plaything. Are you shifting loyalties now?

January 5, 2011 12:11:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting impinc,
Playing coy are we, Xia? Trying to get on his good side? I thought you were Brad's lovechild/plaything. Are you shifting loyalties now?

He is brown nosing in hopes of luring Jon into a false sense of security before demanding his pony.

January 5, 2011 12:13:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do want that fucking pony!

January 5, 2011 12:23:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

xia is the quiet sweet one and jon schafer works for stardock. The inversion of reality is complete.

Welcome Jon. I'm sure you'll do great things in your new position at stardock.

January 5, 2011 12:59:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Of course, Welcome Jon!

Honestly, I don't really know what Jon Shafer does. I wasn't really satisfied with the last thing he worked on but I liked the things he worked on before that, and I don't really have any idea what his job was in any of that.

January 5, 2011 1:00:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope Jon sees this thread. I think he got a lot of unnecessary negativity in the last thread. I am pretty sure Jon is responsible for some of the things I liked about Civ 5, like the hex map and one unit per tile limitation, and real ranged units. The bad things he often gets credit for seem more like stuff that gets pushed down from execs, publishers and producers.

I'm sure Jon will have more freedom at Stardock and can't wait to see what he's capable of under their leaders.

Welcome Jon Shafer, may you prove all the naysayers wrong in a tremendous way!

January 5, 2011 1:12:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Welcome. There is plenty for you to do here

January 5, 2011 1:25:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If I recall correctly (could be wrong), Jon Shafer was responsible for BTS's modding capabilities? If so bravo on that, well on anything you were involved with as far as Civ4:BTS, which was still is an amazing game, but especially its moddability. As for Civ5, I did love the combat improvements, 1UPT, ranged units, etc. - well done there, I still do appreciate the good things you did for Civilization and hope we see some of that come Elemental's way. Congratulations and welcome.

January 5, 2011 1:26:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks all, looking forward to helping make Elemental and future Stardock games amazing.

And stirring up a bit of trouble on the forums from time to time, of course.

Jon

January 5, 2011 1:33:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SpaghettiMon,
I think he got a lot of unnecessary negativity in the last thread. I am pretty sure Jon is responsible for some of the things I liked about Civ 5, like the hex map and one unit per tile limitation, and real ranged units.

Totally agree!

Welcome Jon! And good luck with this forum. lol

January 5, 2011 1:48:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I personally am really excited that Jon Shafer is bringing his talents as a grand-master multidimensional hyper chess player to the Stardock team!  His PhD's in Nuclear Physics, Rocket Science and Brain Surgery should also help.

On his way to work this morning he rescued a kitten stuck in a tree!  Also he foiled a bank robbery and did the voiceover narration for a documentary about Unemployed Circus Elephants (who are hard-hit in these rough economic times).  During his lunch break, Jon drilled two seven foot holes - a total of fourteen feet, while the newfangled steam drill had only drilled one nine-foot hole.

I can't wait to see how Jon's addition improves Elemental.  Through the grapevine I have heard that he's already working on adding a tip-calculator to the Elemental engine and getting it so that Elemental can steal your wallet so it can take your clothes to the dry-cleaner.  (The dry-cleaner part will be released in a later expansion).

How can you not be excited?

January 5, 2011 1:52:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jon Shafer,
Thanks all, looking forward to helping make Elemental and future Stardock games amazing.

Jon

Interesting... you show up here, which is good, as opposed to that other forum I am also part of...

I am one of your most emphatic, harsh critics. I will never hide behind a veil of hipocresy, so that is that. I still think you are the main responsible for what happened to Civ 5, but I also realize that it will be good to see you using your "second" chance. This is your chance to show us all that you were not behind the worst design decisions for Civ5. In that sense, welcome.

But I will continue to lay a critic eye on what you do, specially now, because I decided to come to Elemental running away from your design for Civ5, only to find you here now. As of now, I suspended my imminent buy of Elemental, and will wait to see what happens to it now that you are part of the team.

This is your chance, boy. Show me wrong!

Regards,

January 5, 2011 1:56:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting rebelito,

Quoting Jon Shafer,
reply 11

Jon

Interesting... you show up here, which is good, as opposed to that other forum I am also part of...

I am one of your most emphatic, harsh critics. I will never hide behind a veil of hipocresy, so that is that. I still think you are the main responsible for what happened to Civ 5, but I also realize that it will be good to see you using your "second" chance. This is your chance to show us all that you were not behind the worst design decisions for Civ5. In that sense, welcome.

But I will continue to lay a critic eye on what you do, specially now, because I decided to come to Elemental running away from your design for Civ5, only to find you here now. As of now, I suspended my imminent buy of Elemental, and will wait to see what happens to it now that you are part of the team.

Regards,

Well, I guess that's a better response, but still filled with a vastly inflated sense of self importance and douche-baggery.

January 5, 2011 2:01:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Haven't posted here since GalCiv2... just wanted to say that you guys are lucky to have Jon. He's easy to work with and highly creative - and I say this as someone who disagreed with a fair bit of his design decisions Looking forward to what Brad, Kael and Jon can get done. Chances are I'll want to buy Elemental a few months from now.
January 5, 2011 2:25:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting rebelito,
This is your chance to show us all that you were not behind the worst design decisions for Civ5.

Lets suppose that he actually is. Of all of them for the sake of the argument. It doesn't really matter now. Not for Civ V as he is not involved anymore, and not for Elemental in the sense that even if he were responsible of the worst decissions for Civ V, that doesn't automatically mean that it will repeat itself in this game.

Constructive criticism is most welcome by Stardock members (which now includes Mr Shafer), and I'd personally say that the Hated Guy Of The Week should be judged based on what he does now.

imho

January 5, 2011 2:45:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting rebelito,

Quoting Jon Shafer, reply 11Thanks all, looking forward to helping make Elemental and future Stardock games amazing.

Jon

Regards,

You seem to have a remarkable sense of entitlement.

January 5, 2011 2:56:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Thiryn,

Quoting rebelito,
reply 14

Quoting Jon Shafer, reply 11Thanks all, looking forward to helping make Elemental and future Stardock games amazing.

Jon

Regards,

You seem to have a remarkable sense of entitlement.

Yes. It's called "paying for a product" in this part of the world... how is it called in yours?

January 5, 2011 2:57:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, Rebelito kinda grossed me out with that post.

Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the team Jon

January 5, 2011 3:06:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Poor Jon. 

He will now be peppered with requests to explain what he was smoking when he made Civ V 

Forever.

Welcome Aboard.

January 5, 2011 3:13:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

He looks like a pretty young guy.  It's possible at Firaxis he got walked all over by more senior guys.   That's what it's looking like to me.  And if that's the case, leaving Firaxis and getting your name off of Civ V is the right thing to do.  If Civ V can't be saved, then at least cut your losses and try to save your own rep.

January 5, 2011 3:16:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Or maybe he made the exact game he was asked to make, well polished and to critical acclaim?

January 5, 2011 3:18:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jon Shafer,

Jon

glad you're here, I just tracked down my impulse account info to post here.  I'll buy elemental now just b/c you're on board.

January 5, 2011 3:27:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The year is 2089.

Future Dude: Do you remember that guy Jon Shafer? You know, the guy who totally reamed Civ5 and thereby almost destroyed the planet?

Future Dude's semi-interested docile clone: Yeah. Why did you bring him up?

Future Dude: I hate him.... just wanted you to know that about me/us.

Future Dude's no-longer-interested docile clone:  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000781   Page Render Time: