[eMOD] Murteas' Grimoire v0.40 - Updated with more spells [for 1.2]

By on December 17, 2010 6:57:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Murteas

Join Date 08/2003
+44

Grimoire

*******Please delete the old version of this mod before installing the new version to get the latest changes. *****

Download: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/elemental_war_of_magic/17/download

Note:  Updated to the latest version from the community.  (MG_Beta_A2.zip)

I will not be actively maintaining this mod anymore, as I have no time at the moment.  I look forward to moving to FE modding later this summer if time permits.   If anyone wants to continue this mod, please feel free to do so.

Note:  delete any of the following MG - [Cantrips, Master Agrippa's Tome, Sovereign Talents, Spell Fixes]  from this mod to get rid of a part you don't like

Acknowledgements & Thanks

Modding is always a community driven effort.   I would only make this for myself if nobody showed any interest in it, but there have been a lot of downloads and I've had several people share ideas, time and resources to help.   I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed or used this mod.   

Contributers to the mod:  (graphics, ideas, testing, etc.):

M. Agrippa 

John_Hughes

oddrheia 

Magog_AoW

General inspiration and modding help:

Heavenfall 

impinc 

Kenata 

Additional Credits:

art used with permission by konekokasumi from deviantart.

Submods

Note: - If you would like the Shilleagh and the Dagger of Death to have abilities similiar to kenata's upgraded weapons mod check out this submod created by M. Agrippa:  http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/elemental_war_of_magic/27/

Adds additional spells to various spell books.

====================Cantrips (level 0)========================= 

Combat Book:

Level 0: Arcane Missile - Does Int/10 + 4 in damage (Tactical)

Enchantment Book:

Level 0: Gift of Fortune - This enchantment causes a small altar to appear with a random 'gift' from the gods of Fortune.

Terraforming Book:

Level 0: Clear Land - Removes all obstructions from a tile (ie forest), leaving an open tile behind. Cannot be used on resources, goodie huts, or quest locations. (Cannot be used when a unit is on the tile...I'm working on determining if their is a way around this)

Mobility Book:

Level 0: Leap - The channeler focuses for a moment before leaping into the air supported by a sudden burst of wind. +3 movement + 1 per Air Shard (Increases the movement total the round in which it is cast, but you can't use the movement until the next round - trying to determine how to fix this).

Level 1: Blink - One of the most used spells makes a comeback; this time with some limits.   Range of 5, Mana cost of 16, Intelligence Req of 20, and 20 turn cooldown.

Life Book:

Level 0: Shillelagh of Life - Give the caster a Holy staff that gives an additional 4 HP to its bearer.

Level 0: Guardian of the weak - Creates an immobile Guardian in a friendly city that can provide early defense.

Death Book:

Level 0: Blade of Death - Give the caster a dagger that unlocks the backstab ability in combat.

Level 0: Destroyer of the weak - Creates an immobile Guardian in a friendly city that can provide early defense.

=================== Master Agrippa's Tome (level 2) - Battlefield spells========================

Fire Book
Level 2: Flame  Burst - Damages a unit (scales with fire shards) and knocks them back 2 tiles  Blocks the tile for 2 turns as the magical fire burns out of control. (Tactical)

Water Book:
Level 2: Freezing Rain -  Frozen Rain falls in sheets out of the sky, coating everything in a layer of treacherous ice. Unit loses a turn, Accuracy -50%, Combat speed -3, Dodge -3 (-1/extra per water shard)

Earth Book:
Level 2: Grasping Vines -  Deals damage to a unit (scales with # of Earth Shards) as well as holding them for 2 turns.

Air Book
Level 2: Howling Wind: Decreases combat effectiveness (accuracy -33% and attack - scales with air shards) of enemy units.

============================================================================================
Version history:

v0.01 - Initial release.  Adds 3 spells that are immediately available if you have the appropriate spell book.

v0.20 -

• Added Gift of Fortune as the enchantment level 0 spell.

v0.21 -

• Added the new tile from M. Agrippa for the Altar for the fortune spell.   Really looks great in game!!
  • Adjusted the likelihood to receive different rewards from the fortune altar, should get a bit more variety now.

v0.30 -

• Added new spells from Master Agrippa's Tome.  Battlefield spells tied to each of the elemental shards.
  • Adjusted the Guardian spells to be caster by only high int casters (sovereign), and changed the cooldown to 200 turns, removed the mana upkeep, and changed the initial mana cost to 20
  • Adjusted the arcane missile spell to scale with Int/10 + 4 damage instead of 33% of Intelligence to keep it in line with other spell's progressions.  Cost of 5 mana
  • Updated the Gift of Fortune to give a wider variety of results.  Increased the rewards, mana cost, intelligence requirement, and cooldown.
  • Updated the graphics & model textures for the summoned weapons.
  • Other tweaks and updates.
  • Added a few sovereign talents to allow you to start with a specific shard next to you
  • Added a few soveriegn talents to allow you to start with mana of a specific type even without a shard.
  • Added a sovereign history, shard collector, which gives you +1 mana/turn.

v0.31 -

• Added oddrheia's graphics for spell icons and paintings.  
  • Fixed the guardian spells so that they actually do reflect the description in v0.30.   
  • Shortened some of the spell descriptions so the text isn't so small.

v0.32

• Compatible with new beta (AI tags)
  • Blink added to the mobility spellbook
  • Guardian spells changed back to taking 10 mana to cast and using 1 mana a turn to maintain (actually can dispel them now).

v0.33

• New effects added to the grasping vines spell 

More spells to come.   Feel free to make requests

Help needed with: making new particle effects, spell icons, spell paintings, ideas, balancing.

Pinned, Locked Post 305 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 28, 2010 4:48:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here is a crack at the Mobility spell icon. I thought Leap might be appropriate. It still needs its circle mask but I was unsure which might be best.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8370296/Leaping.png

December 28, 2010 5:04:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks good.  I'll add it to the spell.  I'm close to having the 2 suggested spells done, and ready to try out.   

Thanks for the ideas & help.

December 28, 2010 5:06:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just wondering, for the maintenance cost of spells have you tried fractions of mana per turn? I've been playing around with my own resources and I can consume fractions of the resource. It might be viable for things like summoned weapons early on to cost 0.1 mana per season etc?

December 28, 2010 5:09:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's an interesting thought.   I haven't tried fractions of mana.  I'll see if that works.

December 28, 2010 6:29:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

New version uploaded.   Let me know if you have problems.    I found an error in the arcane missile where I wasn't setting the damage to be a negative number, but in all my testing this was still doing damage (not healing) enemies.   Let me know if anyone finds a problem with this.

Clear Land & Leap have been added to the starting spells.

Notes for the new spells:

Clear land won't work when there are units on the tile.  I don't know why, but I have a few things I can try to fix it, otherwise it might just be a engine limitation for now.

Leap - This spell correctly increases your maximum immediately after you cast it, but it doesn't increase your available movement so you get something like this "2/5" movement after casting...   Not very useful.   Until I can figure out how to increase both maximum and available movement.  I made the duration 2 turns, so the first turn you cast it, the 2nd turn you get to benefit from it.  

Keep the ideas coming.   John_Hughes, I played around a bit to get an icon from your image, let me know what you think (I used your main image for the painting, I had to enlarge it to 512x512).

December 29, 2010 1:37:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

WOOT!  In case you are wondering, spending a day traveling and then checking the forums the next morning to find your ideas have been turned into spells (with art!) is:

A FREAKING NIFTY CHRISTMAS !

Thanks Murteas & John_Hughes, I will give these a try out this evening when I get off of work. 

Also "Leap" is a better name for this spell, though I liked ""Hey, hero!".  (I reserve the right to suggest a different spell for "Take to the Sky" as I like the name.)

December 29, 2010 2:00:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

- Enjoy!

December 29, 2010 5:19:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks good Murteas. Wasn't sure of the exact in Book sizes.

December 29, 2010 5:34:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have a balance concern, and that is with the guardians. They feel like they're making my city invulnerable to monsters early-game. While monsters early-game is an annoying problem with the game, I think this is going too far in the opposite direction, removing all danger.

By the way, I decided on not doing the starting spells for the expandedfactions. This mod is much better.

Oh yeah, you might want to up the attack damage on the starting weapon staff a bit - keep in mind it's twohanded. The dagger is onehanded, so 4 attack for that is fun, but for a magic staff that costs mana 4 attack is too little, in my opinion.

December 29, 2010 10:42:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heavenfall, after playing a few games today, I agree the guardians need to be adjusted.  I am open to suggestions.  

They do take mana now per turn so you are sacrificing mana to go for early protection.    Should we make them only last for a certain number of turns (10 maybe)?  That way they still are of benefit but you have to maintain it.   

So what do people think, how should we adjust the guardians, or do you like them as they are?

How about 6 damage for the staff (or leave it 4 and change it to a club - that was my initial idea, not sure why I changed to a staff).

December 29, 2010 10:47:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would lower the health defense of the guardian to 3, also possibly make it never regenerate health.

6 damage for the staff sounds much better. Then you've got a magic item that is worth using at the start, without being insanely overpowered.

December 30, 2010 6:39:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,
Leap - This spell correctly increases your maximum immediately after you cast it, but it doesn't increase your available movement so you get something like this "2/5" movement after casting...   Not very useful.   Until I can figure out how to increase both maximum and available movement.  I made the duration 2 turns, so the first turn you cast it, the 2nd turn you get to benefit from it.  

Does strategic movement have a movement cost multiplier like tactical movement does? You could try going with modifying the cost of movement instead of your max moves. The benifit should then be instant.

December 30, 2010 9:42:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As for the Guardian, and its deterrent value, something around the same #'s as 2 peasants combined perhaps.

I say that because, as a rule, with 2 peasants on site, the problem with monsters attacking seems to go away.

What does the City Upgrade option of Random Guardian usually provide for base #'s? That may provide the preferred balance.

December 30, 2010 12:35:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

v0.16 posted -

Okay try out the new build and let me know what you think about the guardians now.   

Working on a focus spell for enchantment, basically immobilizes the caster for a few turns but gives a big boost in mana generation during the time.    What do you think, is this useful?   Is it OP?

I am currently playing with:  10 mana/cast --   Lasts 3 turns, and gives Int/4 extra mana a turn.  (Initially not worth much - net result of +2 mana (w/16 int), but later on could be a big bonus).

December 30, 2010 2:18:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Added a new spell Focus to the enchantment spellbook.   Try it out and tell me what you think.   Basically you are sacrificing moves, attack, defense for 3 turns to get some mana.   

Leaves you pretty helpless but can get you some good mana.

I'm thinking about increasing the duration to 5 rounds, but I'm not sure yet.

December 30, 2010 2:21:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Was playing with this mod last night, and its awesome (as in going to bed at 2:30am on a work night good).  Combined with Expanded Factions, Upgraded Weapons, ACP, and 1.1 feels like where the game should have been.  I can see the reasoning behind hitting the Guardians with the nerf, will try and run some small maps soon to get a feel for that balance.  Increasing the damage to 6 for my dear Shillelagh sounds like a good move to keep it relevant longer.  Maybe add 1 or 2 to its casting cost?

I think the focus spell is going to be very tricky to get right, as it could effectively be used for free to generate a mana boost every time you are resting your soverign (or a caster) for healing.  Since this tends to be when you are stockpiling mana anyways (due to not actively fighting) it seems like you would ALWAYS cast this in that situation, with the results running up a pretty steep return curve as you increase INT.  If this is intended to be the completion of the 0 level spells, how about making it a long term city enchantment, a kind of mana investment.  How about:

Enchantment> Level 0 > Mana Stream: "The channeler reaches deep into the lines of power that grid the world, opening up a font of magical energy in the city"

Cost 50 mana to cast -- Give 2 mana a turn for 50 turns, cool down of 75 turns. 

This gives a long term reward for an initial cost, has time windows that prevent it from being overpowered, risk of loosing the settlement (and the mana), and would not be so open to cheese.  Again I humbly submit for; Thoughts?

December 30, 2010 2:28:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think Agrippa's version is much better suited for a 4X game. With your version, Murteas, there's a big risk the player will just create mana batteries and keep spamming the ability. It isn't fun nor balanced (in particular involving a stat is dangerous for such a spell).

How about you reverse the functionality? Instead of slowly gaining mana and using a large amount at the start, you instead get all the mana at the start, but you are left defenseless (sort of like an Overcharge ability). This would create a very clear longterm vs shortterm tradeoff (I can use it now, and be much stronger for a bit with my extra mana, but in the long term, I will suffer because I have no movement and defence).

December 30, 2010 2:46:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry bout that, was not trying to thread hijack, you posted .17 while I was typing my response to your idea in the .16 post.   Will give it a try out.

In a separate idea; have you thought about how you might have this mod be parts?  To go with the book analogy now there is a complete 0 level "Chapter", call it Murteas Cantrips.  Is there a new theme you are wanting to work on next?  Personally I really want spells that will affect the strategic balance of combat, as I think that is something currently lacking.  Maybe a new "Chapter" called Murteas Battlefield with spells for each of the elemental books?  Ideas for that to follow...

Anyways, I thought it would be nice to have the "Chapters" available so that people could choose between them or the entire Murteas Grimoire.  Will  drop this idea if people feel its rubbish.

December 30, 2010 3:05:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey guys.    Yeah, after I posted the initial idea, I started to work on it, and came up with some of the same thoughts as you about it being very exploitable.    The current version leaves you vunerable for 3 turns and gives you some mana.   Do you think I should make it a fixed amount of mana or should it still be tied to Int?   Should it hurt you as well?  

Or is focus just too hard to balance?  Any other thoughts on an enchanment spell?

M. Aggripa - Several different books are good ideas.   what I'll probably have to do is to add the spellbooks separately, and let you get them at sovereign creation.  Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to easily add some spells and not others.   Creating completely separate spellbook instead of adding the spells to the existing books would solve that problem.  

December 30, 2010 3:20:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Of course if I add spells to new spellbooks, then the vanilla sovereigns (or expanded faction sovereigns) won't use the new spells.      

December 30, 2010 3:28:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will gladly add new spellbooks to the expandedfactions. If the user doesn't have your mod, it will simply be invisible.

Just keep the new spellbooks in separate folders (or sub-folders), so the players can delete them if they don't like them. My only "demand".

December 30, 2010 3:29:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Clarification:  I meant using "Chapters" as a way to organize the mod, not as a mechanic for how to have it available in the game.  I think your current idea of adding to the existing spellbooks is the way to go for now.  It expands the game, is going to be easier to stay compatible as it changes, and the AI is obviously using at least some of the spells (I have not been Arcaned Missled yet, but look forward to it.)

I meant more cutting the mod into multiple distributions, so that someone could choose to just add "Cantrips" or "Battlefield".  They could also download the full Grimoire to get all the awesomeness.  As the game matures and mod "packagers" emerge in the community I can see an interest in being able to include these as separate pieces. (A tactical focused mod might just add Battlefield for example)  Does this make more sense?

December 30, 2010 4:16:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, now for the new spell ideas.  I think the lack of any spells to change the nature of the battlefield in tactical combat is a glaring lack, much like the  0 level spells were.  With that in mind I humbly submit my ideas for 4 spells to change that, the idea being one per element and having them be 3rd level spells.  Please note the balancing on these will be rather important, getting the AI to use them intelligently will probably have to wait until we get the modding czar and see what they are doing with tactical combat.  Right now creating high value content that we can add hooks to later seems the most efficient use of time to me, and in that spirit.

Battlefield Tacticus Magica:

Earth > Lvl 3 > Raise Wall "Reaching deep into the ground, the channeler pulls up bedrock into a solid wall of granite"

Cost 50: Range 5 tiles from caster. Creates a wall of stone in a space of tiles 1x3 vertically on the tactical map.  Each wall unit tile is permanent, immobile, has a defense value  of 10, 0 dodge, and 20 hitpoints.  Plus 5 hitpoints per earth shard.

Fire > Level 3 > Wall of Flame "The caster waived his arm in an arc, wildfires spring up into a wall of flame"

Cost 50: Range 5 tiles from caster. Creates a wall of fire in a space of tiles 1x3 vertically on the tactical map.  These fires do 5 resistible damage to every individual who passes through the tile, with another 5 damage every turn they remain in the tile.  Moving through the flames counts as difficult terrain (3 action points).  Duration 2 turns.  Plus 1 turn duration per fire shard.

Water > Level 3 > Ice Slick "At his booming command rain falls in sheets out of the sky, coating everything in a layer of treacherous ice"

Cost 50: Range 5 tiles from caster.  Creates a range of icy tiles 2x3 on the tactical map.  These tiles give every individual -50% accuracy and - 3 dodge.  Moving through the them counts as difficult terrain (3 action points).  Duration 2 turns.  Plus 1 turn duration per water shard.

Air > Level 3 > Howling Winds "A gestured command from the sovereign, and suddenly the winds seemed rip the words from your mouth"

Cost 50: Range none. All ranged attacks get -30% accuracy, all individuals get +3 dodge bonus.  Duration 4 turns.  Plus 1 dodge per air shard.

December 30, 2010 6:01:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

M. Agrippa - Okay, I understand what you are saying.   Once we get a few more spells of different types, I'll look into creating several different distributions.    I will probably do something similar to the Expanded factions mod, where I will include everything in the mod, and you can just delete the folders you aren't interested in.  Probably not in the next release but the one after.

The ideas look good.  Let me see what I can do with them.   If you have any desire to submit artwork  please do.  For the stone wall, I'll have to see if we have a model I can use for this, otherwise I'll have to make one up.  

I will try to get some more spells implemented by tomorrow.   Otherwise I will be gone for a week (taking my wife on a vacation for our anniversary ).

And as for the Tactical AI, I don't have any way to encourage them to use certain spells at this point, so as you said we'll have to see what they open up for us to help the AI recognize what it has with certain spells.   The strategic AI on the other hand definitely knows how to use spells.   Not always in the most effective way, but they do use them.  (i.e. see guardian spam before  )

December 30, 2010 6:13:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FOCUS: I like the idea behind this, but I think that the temptation to create "mana batteries" is going to be there if this is a spell (and thus available to all casters).  Having it be stat linked also means its power scale increase through the course of the game is different than every other 0 level.  Being defenseless by choice is not very dangerous by the time you can produce even decent defenders in a  city.

This seems more like a special ability that should be granted by an item, preferably one given as a reward to a 3rd or 4th tier quest.  You still might get 1 battery going, but it is not nearly so exploitable.  Increase the cool down to 5 turns, make it a item you can equip that take a valuable slot, such as a helm.  Make it the Circlet of Focusing, etc protected by a tough battle.  This would be awesome and perfect for ACP... 

As for the 0 level Cantrips, I would suggest pulling Focus and using my idea as a starting point.  But then again, I am hardly a neutral observer. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time: