[eMOD] Murteas' Grimoire v0.40 - Updated with more spells [for 1.2]

By on December 17, 2010 6:57:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Murteas

Join Date 08/2003
+44

Grimoire

*******Please delete the old version of this mod before installing the new version to get the latest changes. *****

Download: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/elemental_war_of_magic/17/download

Note:  Updated to the latest version from the community.  (MG_Beta_A2.zip)

I will not be actively maintaining this mod anymore, as I have no time at the moment.  I look forward to moving to FE modding later this summer if time permits.   If anyone wants to continue this mod, please feel free to do so.

Note:  delete any of the following MG - [Cantrips, Master Agrippa's Tome, Sovereign Talents, Spell Fixes]  from this mod to get rid of a part you don't like

Acknowledgements & Thanks

Modding is always a community driven effort.   I would only make this for myself if nobody showed any interest in it, but there have been a lot of downloads and I've had several people share ideas, time and resources to help.   I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed or used this mod.   

Contributers to the mod:  (graphics, ideas, testing, etc.):

M. Agrippa 

John_Hughes

oddrheia 

Magog_AoW

General inspiration and modding help:

Heavenfall 

impinc 

Kenata 

Additional Credits:

art used with permission by konekokasumi from deviantart.

Submods

Note: - If you would like the Shilleagh and the Dagger of Death to have abilities similiar to kenata's upgraded weapons mod check out this submod created by M. Agrippa:  http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/elemental_war_of_magic/27/

Adds additional spells to various spell books.

====================Cantrips (level 0)========================= 

Combat Book:

Level 0: Arcane Missile - Does Int/10 + 4 in damage (Tactical)

Enchantment Book:

Level 0: Gift of Fortune - This enchantment causes a small altar to appear with a random 'gift' from the gods of Fortune.

Terraforming Book:

Level 0: Clear Land - Removes all obstructions from a tile (ie forest), leaving an open tile behind. Cannot be used on resources, goodie huts, or quest locations. (Cannot be used when a unit is on the tile...I'm working on determining if their is a way around this)

Mobility Book:

Level 0: Leap - The channeler focuses for a moment before leaping into the air supported by a sudden burst of wind. +3 movement + 1 per Air Shard (Increases the movement total the round in which it is cast, but you can't use the movement until the next round - trying to determine how to fix this).

Level 1: Blink - One of the most used spells makes a comeback; this time with some limits.   Range of 5, Mana cost of 16, Intelligence Req of 20, and 20 turn cooldown.

Life Book:

Level 0: Shillelagh of Life - Give the caster a Holy staff that gives an additional 4 HP to its bearer.

Level 0: Guardian of the weak - Creates an immobile Guardian in a friendly city that can provide early defense.

Death Book:

Level 0: Blade of Death - Give the caster a dagger that unlocks the backstab ability in combat.

Level 0: Destroyer of the weak - Creates an immobile Guardian in a friendly city that can provide early defense.

=================== Master Agrippa's Tome (level 2) - Battlefield spells========================

Fire Book
Level 2: Flame  Burst - Damages a unit (scales with fire shards) and knocks them back 2 tiles  Blocks the tile for 2 turns as the magical fire burns out of control. (Tactical)

Water Book:
Level 2: Freezing Rain -  Frozen Rain falls in sheets out of the sky, coating everything in a layer of treacherous ice. Unit loses a turn, Accuracy -50%, Combat speed -3, Dodge -3 (-1/extra per water shard)

Earth Book:
Level 2: Grasping Vines -  Deals damage to a unit (scales with # of Earth Shards) as well as holding them for 2 turns.

Air Book
Level 2: Howling Wind: Decreases combat effectiveness (accuracy -33% and attack - scales with air shards) of enemy units.

============================================================================================
Version history:

v0.01 - Initial release.  Adds 3 spells that are immediately available if you have the appropriate spell book.

v0.20 -

• Added Gift of Fortune as the enchantment level 0 spell.

v0.21 -

• Added the new tile from M. Agrippa for the Altar for the fortune spell.   Really looks great in game!!
  • Adjusted the likelihood to receive different rewards from the fortune altar, should get a bit more variety now.

v0.30 -

• Added new spells from Master Agrippa's Tome.  Battlefield spells tied to each of the elemental shards.
  • Adjusted the Guardian spells to be caster by only high int casters (sovereign), and changed the cooldown to 200 turns, removed the mana upkeep, and changed the initial mana cost to 20
  • Adjusted the arcane missile spell to scale with Int/10 + 4 damage instead of 33% of Intelligence to keep it in line with other spell's progressions.  Cost of 5 mana
  • Updated the Gift of Fortune to give a wider variety of results.  Increased the rewards, mana cost, intelligence requirement, and cooldown.
  • Updated the graphics & model textures for the summoned weapons.
  • Other tweaks and updates.
  • Added a few sovereign talents to allow you to start with a specific shard next to you
  • Added a few soveriegn talents to allow you to start with mana of a specific type even without a shard.
  • Added a sovereign history, shard collector, which gives you +1 mana/turn.

v0.31 -

• Added oddrheia's graphics for spell icons and paintings.  
  • Fixed the guardian spells so that they actually do reflect the description in v0.30.   
  • Shortened some of the spell descriptions so the text isn't so small.

v0.32

• Compatible with new beta (AI tags)
  • Blink added to the mobility spellbook
  • Guardian spells changed back to taking 10 mana to cast and using 1 mana a turn to maintain (actually can dispel them now).

v0.33

• New effects added to the grasping vines spell 

More spells to come.   Feel free to make requests

Help needed with: making new particle effects, spell icons, spell paintings, ideas, balancing.

Pinned, Locked Post 305 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 18, 2010 10:26:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Downloading now. Will let you know how i get on.

December 18, 2010 4:53:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am probably going to change the mana cost for those spells, but I want to get more spells in sooner rather than later.   More to come.

December 18, 2010 6:11:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good ideas. Do the spells that summon weapons have a mana maintenance cost? Do they disappear when dispelled or are they one-shots? Keep it up, more spells are always good.

December 18, 2010 6:35:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So far I have to say everything works perfectly. It allows me to be a caster right from the off and it isn't over powered. The staff is just a case of casting the spell to get the weapon with no mana maintainance which is nice and simple.

December 19, 2010 11:03:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No mana maintenance, on the weapons, but they aren't super weapons, just something to make magic users more viable early game (as xSTarfirex pointed out).

I am still working on some new spells, unfortunately I don't have super human modding speed like some of the other modders, so it may take a few days for the next update.  

Thanks for the feedback.

December 19, 2010 11:55:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It really is great mod, I am suprised that a starting level 0 spell wasn't included in the main game.

December 19, 2010 9:06:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey Murteas, I was thinking about adding a specific starting spellbook to each of the ExpandedFactions (so they'd each get instant access to a spell). I really love having something to do with mana early-game that isn't overpowered.

Since I don't want to step on any toes, I was wondering if you were perhaps interested in working with me on this? The aim would be to have a starting spell that is aimed at helping the player out for only the first 50 seasons or so, preferably in strategic mode. There would be a variably high cost, so that the spell is less useful later in the game.

The mod would be included as a sub-mod to the expandedfactions mod (however, it is an easy thing to design it so that the spells are also available for custom factions designed in the workshop).

Drota - ??? summonable mount maybe? something to do with movement
Goblins - no spell, hollow magic racetrait
Living Stone - lower land
Golem King - summonable golem (slightly stronger than a peasant)
Elves - a spell that targets forest, and reveals 2-3 squares around that area
Death Legion - ???
Lost Souls - Return

Thoughts? Interested?

December 20, 2010 11:37:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heavenfall,

I'm definitely interested, and no need to worry about stepping on my toes.  If you want to take any of my ideas directly that would be great, otherwise, it is always better to work together and get a good product.    Let me think about what we could do for each faction for early spells.    My goal was to give each spell book a starting spell, that allowed magic users to use magic at the start without being too imbalanced.

Drota - summonable mount maybe? something to do with movement

Good idea here.    Should the mount give something besides 1 extra move though?  (there is a spell that gives movement already).    I was think that the earliest spells wouldn't have a maint cost, but maybe this one should?    What about increased accuracy during combat due to fast reflexes?     I'll keep thinking here.

Goblins - no spell, hollow magic racetrait

Maybe sacrifice mana for gold, hitpoints?  Some item that drains mana but gives attack?

Living Stone - lower land

Good idea, probablly could make a case for all the **** land spells, but this one is definitely the most useful for making passes through the mountains.

Golem King - summonable golem (slightly stronger than a peasant)

Maintenance cost on this one?   1 mana?  how can we differentiate it from the other early summons?   Give it an ability or two?   

Elves - a spell that targets forest, and reveals 2-3 squares around that area

I like this idea.   i.e. using the woodland creatures as scouts for the elves.   Useful early game, but may lose it's effectiveness later (exactly what you were looking for).

Death Legion - ???

Couple of ideas:

How about mutations, adds a temporary mutation that gives them + strength + dodge + accuracy for xxx/rounds.     

Sacrifice 1 pop and receive xxx mana.

I'll keep thinking here.

Lost Souls - Return

Seems to fit with the background you gave them.    Simple and effective spell.

December 20, 2010 2:55:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Played around with this mod over the weekend, really like what it does for playing casters early game.  A balancing thought on the weapon giving spells, since you can summon multiples and trade them, I kept ending up with a early parties that could have been called the "Shillelagh Gang".  Is it possible to make these items non-tradeable to limit their use?  If not maybe increase the mana cost to represent the added value from giving it to recruited champions when you find / buy a better weapon?

Arcane Missile adds a lot to the early game, helps with that feeling of being a world shaking sorcerer, instead of running from lone spiders.  Thanks for the nice mod!

December 20, 2010 3:06:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What if I make it castable only once?

I'll look and see if I can make it non-tradeable as well.    Although I don't think it is bad to have it usuable by a champion, but they should probably have to cast it themselves.

Updated version released v0.02

Changes:

v0.02 - 

• changed arcane missile to require 4 mana (was 3)
  • Added Guardian of the weak spell to the Life spellbook (starting spell).   Creates an immobile Guardian in a friendly city that can provide early defense.
  • Added Destroyer of the weak spell to the Death spellbook (starting spell).  Creates an immobile Guardian in a friendly city that can provide early defense.

December 20, 2010 3:57:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Toying with a few ideas:

Should the initial weapons cost mana per turn - my initial impression is no.   But I am open to opinions on this.   I've added a cooldown to the weapon spells of 15 turns (let me know if you think that works to reduce the spam at the beginning of the game.

What do you guys want to see next?   I can start working on new particles/images for these spells, or I can start making other spells for higher levels or spell books.  (Mobiliity and Terreforming are hard for me to think of new spells for though).

December 20, 2010 4:26:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Downloading and following.

December 20, 2010 5:59:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Increasing the cool down on the spell sounds like it will help, and I agree with you that no mana per turn is a good idea (these are not, and should not be, great weapons).  I think the best solution would be if you could make it non-tradeable, as then a champion could only have it if they cast it themselves, but not sure disabling trading is possible.

Will play with it over the next few days and let you know what I think, thanks!

December 21, 2010 4:00:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quick question - Currently, there's no cooldown on the Guardian/Destroyer of the weak, and it can be cast over and over again, at least for me. Also for the AI. He has around 15 Shades in his capitol, and with no upkeep cost it's relatively easy to spam them anywhere you want defence. I assume this is not working as intended, so here's the other things I have installed:

ACP
UpdatedWeapons
ElementiumMine
ExpandedMounts

Could it possibly be a conflict, or is it just a balancing tweak that went wrong somewhere along the line?

If you intend to have them with no upkeep cost, a hefty cooldown would probably be good, maybe 15-20 turns as with the weapon spell. The range of 1 should keep that from being too powerful as your sovereign will need to keep visiting. Alternatively, make the cast-once actually work, and note in the spell-text that the 1mana upkeep listed in the statblock doesn't actually happen.

December 21, 2010 4:53:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Have you updated to the latest version v0.04.   They should cost upkeep now (1 mana/turn), and I put that they could only be cast once I thought.   Although that tag may not be working.   Let me look at that.  I'll put the cooldown to 15 turns if I can't get it to be a one time only spell.

v 0.05 uploaded - cooldown added until I can get the guardian spell to be one per city or one per game.

December 24, 2010 3:38:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heh.  I was wondering why the AI was skyrocketing in threat points.  The AI really, really likes your guardian spell.  The first capital I tried to take out had at least 10 guardians.  Each of which proceeded to whack my sovereign for 20-30 damage a piece.  It wasn't pretty.

I increased cooldown to 999, which pretty much guarantees one cast/magic user.  However, I could imbue someone, who could then cast the spell (probably making it to expensive to cast with imbue now costing 25 mana, but I _could_ do it).  So I increased the intelligence requirement to 100.  Since sovereigns ignore the requirement, this will only allow one cast per game.

December 24, 2010 3:55:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good Job Murteas. Plays well and is not OP at all.

Just a minor nitpick but I would ask that you might increase the casting range on the Guardian. 1 means a trip back to town if one forgets to do it right off.

December 25, 2010 10:06:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, I can increase the range.   I need to figure out how to do the one cast per game thing, but I just can't get it to work.   I'll keep working on it.   

What would you like the range to be?   I still don't think you should be able to do it from across the map, what do you think?

December 26, 2010 6:42:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

New version added.   Increased the cooldown on the guardian spells to 100 turns.   For some reason the mana upkeep is not working on those spells.   I am trying to figure it out.   For now, the cooldown should help.

I increased the range on the guardian/destroyer spells to 10.  You can cast it from farther away, but not all the way across the map.

December 27, 2010 1:03:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Really enjoy the spells, and I have been thinking about how guardian/destroyer work.  One thing I have noticed is that they are strong enough to keep you from taking enemy cities until the mid game (or at least they have beat me down several times)  

Rather than continuing to try and make them "Cast Once" have you thought about mildly lowering the strength of the summoned creature and switching the range to be "Within Domain Only".  50 turns seems about right for the cool down, and once you get the mana upkeep to function correctly this would serve the purpose of early game defense, would keep the spell relevant much longer in the game, and go with the idea your wizard is casting a Guardian Ward. I understand that you were looking to make it a one per city spell, but if you make the summoned unit a little less powerful, have mana upkeep costs and get the cool down length right then I think it can be useful for a longer period in game without becoming overpowered. 

Also I just wanted to say that the Guardian unit looks really cool, have you considered seeing if Heavenfall would put some transparency on it to make it more "ghost" like?  Or were you picturing it more as a suit of armour? 

December 27, 2010 2:00:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tried it, it looks very bad. It just doesn't work for some models. The dragon model is another one that just looks glitchy.

December 27, 2010 11:50:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't take any credit for the model, that is all stardock, but I definitely agree that it looks cool.       I'll make the changes you suggested M. Agrippa and we can try it out and see what other tweaks need to be made.   Standby, I'll get something out soon (i.e. today).

December 27, 2010 12:55:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

v0.10 is released I finally figured out the mana maintenance problem.    You have to set a status on a city to make it stick when the target of a spell is a friendly city (which most summons are not).   So I had to create a status for the city when the guardians are cast, and now it will stay as a maintained spell as we want.  

Let me know what you think.  Otherwise I'll start working on new spells & my spell editor.  

December 28, 2010 2:57:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@ Heavenfall; thanks for trying, the Troll Ghost just had me thinking.

I think all the current new spells are working great, would be nice to have art assets associated with them, but that is not something you want me to help with.  I was thinking about what other 0 level spells might work for the outstanding beginning spell books:

Terraforming > Level 0 > Clear Land

Cost 5 Mana

>"The earth ripples and smooths itself as obstacles sink into the landscape leaving a plain behind..." Removes all obstructions from a tile (ie forest), leaving an open tile behind. Cannot be used on resources, goodie huts, or quest locations.

Would be a really nice add so that I can drop my initial outpost wherever I want, cut trails through forests, etc.  Trick here would be in balancing the cost so its something you can do, but don't want to start spamming.

Mobility > Level 0 > Take to the Skys

Cost 4 Mana

>"The channeler focuses for a moment before leaping into the air supported by a sudden burst of wind."  Gives a +3 bonus to movement to the caster only for 1 turn.  +1 move per Air Shard. 

The limited duration and only having it affect 1 unit would keep form being overpowered, while allowing for greater tactical flexibility in the early game.  Plus no more 20 turn slog chasing down a hero for their 1 tech knowledge a turn.

Thoughts?

December 28, 2010 3:15:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like them. 

We can call the mobility one (Hey hero come back here!!!!!)     .

I'll start working on them and get  a new build out soon.    I'll also get working on the art assets.   I'm not the best artist (in fact I am bad), but I'll see what I can do.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time: