Champion Enhancement.

Some brief ideas inside!

By on December 15, 2010 3:40:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Xelanthol

Join Date 10/2007
+1

Hey, I don't post much but there is something I would love to see in the game and am just seeing what you guys think.

Champions being the pinnacle of some form, whether it be diplomatic or martial, are the best in their field. I feel their initial jobs/features they offer should be enhanced as they level up, right now your champion who was a grand merchant eventually just becomes some conduit for your channeler. When my merchant levels up, i'd love to either have the option or see that generates more gold per turn.

Simple things like this to give heroes more flavour-

Merchant: Level 1, 1 gold per turn, level 3, 2 gold per turrn, level 5, 3 gold per turn. Similar stats for arcane/tech research. But maybe something unique  like

Researcher/Arcane reaches level 5-Sacrifice levels worth of attributes for free tech. Or  something of that sort.

Adventurer: Level 1: Enhanced movement speed Level 2: Additional damage to neutral monsters Level 3: Enhanced rewards from quests/notable locations. etc. etc.

Royalty (Or whatever it was called): Level 1: Increased prestige to town Level 2: Gain standing when placed in an enemy town Level 3:  Further Increased Prestige, etc.

The numbers are just placeholders-To convey a feel.

I think these would be great additions in some shape or form. I really feel champions are too general-I'd like to think "Hey  theres Varusk reaping in 5 gold a turn trading dragon bones and titan teeth." or watching "Grand Archmage Prodigy Lazarus pumping out 5 arcane points since he's been adventuring with me since day 1." Things like that. Also more non-spell abilities in general would be fantastic!

Comments/Suggestions/Hero Ideas of your own, please leave them here!

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 15, 2010 3:48:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds like a solid potential addition to me.

December 15, 2010 12:42:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for taking the time to read it! Hope a dev gives a quick readover.

December 15, 2010 1:05:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agree that champs are bland. I started a thread on something similar that just sank to the bottom though. Hopefully this one lives longer. But yes, there are only a few champs i can recognize right away. The red-head assassin, that one blond merchant. Most of the champs feel no different than any other rare resource. Except they are more common than everything but food and shards.

Anything to make champs actually feel like individuals instead of cogs would be great.

December 16, 2010 2:23:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well thanks for posting Cerevox, i'm going to try and keep this one around for a little bit, hope someone catches wind of it. I mean not high on the priority list-But my champions really should feel unique to me. Want to add some of your ideas to the list?

December 16, 2010 2:59:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with the OP. Giving champions more of a fantasy flavour would really help the game. It struck me as amusing that the first npc to join you in a game called War of Magic was - Fred in Accounting! When I played the game for the first time, I was sort of expecting something like an elven ranger riding a winged unicorn.

December 16, 2010 3:09:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yup. Definitely agreeing that champs are bland. They for sure need to be more special and unique.

December 16, 2010 9:27:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How to fix Champions in v1.1

At least in my opinion. This opinion is based upon playing numerous games both release and beta up until this point.

• First. Champions MUST get experience on a turn by turn basis. Combat experience simply is added to this. There are several reasons for this. The primary reason is that currently the AI doesn't get their champions any experience at all and when you engage in a battle with them they are always at 1st level. This would add more difficulty and interest in the game. The experience should be given to all Champions, whether recruited or not, however, recruited Champions would gather a higher level of experience per turn. This would also make additional use of those Champions that are hired to simply be stationed in a city for their early game bonus. This is important for Sovereigns as well. Yesterday after 150 turns I beat a Sovereign that still had only 30 or so hit points in the game while my Sovereign had something like 103.
  • The AI MUST be coded to use the Imbue Hero enchantment as soon as it becomes available on it's Champions. Allowing the Champions to use spell attacks in defense of a city is important. Additionally, the AI has to better equip their Champions. Always seeing a Champion rushing you with a dagger and nothing else is simply dumb. If Brad wants the AI to perform better in combat, he needs to focus on AI Champion usage.
  • Champions are dull, generally without exception. When they level, they should increase in power in other ways that make them more interesting. One poster has already noted that the initial skills should increase which is a great idea. Additionally, other skills should be made available much like is in MOM. Skills like Regeneration, combat bonuses, special attacks, defensive bonuses, special defensive powers as well as additional game skills like increased gildar/mana/tech production. Each Champion should be able to be different and special.
  • IF the game cannot handle the special skills/bonuses for heroes, then either create a building that bestowes additional benefits to your recruited champions OR have books/tomes that can be found and used by quests or have magical items that bestow some of these abilities. The game is really, really short on neat magical items that make champions unique.
  • The spell to bring back dead heroes is too far up the magical spell book chain or there needs to be so lower spells that can help get your champions back from the dead. Champions can result in a high time/game expense expenditure. There needs to be some lower level enchantments that allow us (as well as the AI) to get these champions back (perhaps sans equipment or at a experience penalty).

These are pretty much off the top of my head, but I believe that every one of them would greatly improve the game. However, the most important is getting all champions experience on a turn by turn basis so even if the champion just sits in a city, they gain in power. Once champions start to level in the game, the game becomes much more interesting.

Just my opinion.

December 16, 2010 9:50:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

agreed - they should earn minimal exp in cities slowly and steadily - so when you put a administrator into a town you know eventually he will level and you can put some stats in his cha or other stats

December 16, 2010 12:43:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There we go, these are all awesome ideas for what we need. @nitey47 I generally agree with all your changes, we should have a building that alots experience to champions if they stay housed in a town, up to a certain level that is-I still think heroes should require some experience to be truly epic.

December 16, 2010 10:23:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, administrators should gain XP fairly quickly in a town that builds a lot. After all, their skills are being used heavily. Sure, not their fighting skills, but they are still working a lot.

December 17, 2010 9:59:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That could work for me, but I think some system should be in place to make the higher levels an automated process.Maybe the administrator can only reach its final level when the town it's in hits level 5. *Shrugs* Something of that sort!

December 17, 2010 1:01:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great ideas guys.  I totally agree on this. 

Also as i stated in my post is that maybe certain rare champions start with like 3 essence as their special ability. 

December 20, 2010 10:15:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Royalty is kinda lame now that CHA effects prestige. Royalty should instead add maintence decrease or something more fitting to a royal role.. I mean they can bend the rules right? Never the less good suggestion but I would like to see a lot more skills than the current one. FF Tactics/Total War had some interesting ideas. (Psst.... I want a dragoon)

December 20, 2010 10:26:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Instead of granting xp for free just for existing, maybe we could have a "training grounds" for champions. Basically you give an order that equates to "Hone your skills". It would slowly trickle in xp but the champion is otherwise disposed. This is great for when you don't need as many defenders or if your heir just came of age (and isn't powerful enough on their own).

December 21, 2010 1:18:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Need to do something.  Much of the above has been asked for before.  Champs are waaaaaay bland compared to MOM.

December 23, 2010 10:40:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do like the idea of rare and cool champions. Would be nice to unlock like a Darkling Warlord or something for fun. I think the XP system needs to be redone but champions are indeed in-need of a change! Right now they are just conduits for my channeler. Mind you they can be pretty nice if I enchant them up

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000046   Page Render Time: