Will Stardock get the 1.9 gig update bug fixed?

By on December 9, 2010 11:38:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

sjwt

Join Date 05/2010
+2

hey guys, are you working on a fix for the having to downgrade to the non-beta then back up to the current beta version to avoid a 1.9 gig update?

Also, I always try and post saved games, error logs, custom sov. files, crashes, screen shots etc but I feel like I'm being ignored when I post bugs, nothing is ever done about them.

Locked Post 157 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 10, 2010 1:15:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I beat the 2gb download bug by opening impulse, then switching OFF the show beta's, then shift rightclicking in elemental and verifying, get the small (~40mb) patch to 1.09e, then switch ON the show beta's, then download the update(~45mb)

and like you I do not see any results for my efforts at posting the complete saves,crashes and all files that I am currently playing with when reporting the crashes

harpo

December 10, 2010 4:12:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you get no feedback on your crash reports, its a good thing

That means that you have reported in the requested format (with the zip file) and that Stardock has downloaded the files to see what the problem is.

Feedback will normally be "Could you please include zipfile and debug.err file" and such. So you are good error reporters when you get no feedback, thats all

December 10, 2010 4:58:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

but us 'good error reporters' would like to know that our crashes actually HAVE been collected and might help to track the problems down, even a quick thanks reply would help us to know that our efforts ARE helping.

harpo

December 10, 2010 5:40:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting harpo99999,
but us 'good error reporters' would like to know that our crashes actually HAVE been collected and might help to track the problems down, even a quick thanks reply would help us to know that our efforts ARE helping.

harpo

indeed, but not just crashes, actual bugs too, it would be good to know if our issues are getting actioned.

December 10, 2010 8:38:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Most of the time you won't get a comment on your thread in here. But everything gets read, and sometimes it results in a fix. Obviously it's not as easy as "I reported it, it should be fixed".

"Good error reporters" keep reporting bugs, and expect nothing but a better game for it.

December 10, 2010 12:04:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

hey guys, are you working on a fix for the having to downgrade to the non-beta then back up to the current beta version to avoid a 1.9 gig update?

Also, I always try and post saved games, error logs, custom sov. files, crashes, screen shots etc but I feel like I'm being ignored when I post bugs, nothing is ever done about them.

I beat the 2gb download bug by opening impulse, then switching OFF the show beta's, then shift rightclicking in elemental and verifying, get the small (~40mb) patch to 1.09e, then switch ON the show beta's, then download the update(~45mb)

Can you please post the steps you took to get into the situation you are now?  Install from the DVD, then what steps?  I would like to get to the bottom of this issue.  Thanks.

Zargon

December 10, 2010 1:18:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

zargon, the steps that I use to go from one beta patch to the latest are as follows

1 open impulse & login

2 click on the blue stardock logo, then remove the tick on show beta's

3 hold down left shift key and right mouse click on elemental, on the menu that opens I left click on verify installation

4 download and install the update for elemental (that resets elemental to 1.09e)(patch size it typically ~40mb)

5 click on the blue stardock logo, then place a tick on the show beta's

6 download the update for elemental to the latest patch (the download has been approx 45mb)

7 delete all mods,items, effects,quests,saves,stamps & tiles folders in the my games/elemental folder

8 start elemental

and if I do NOT follow these steps then for example going from 1.09q to 1.09r or 1.09r to 1.09s with impulse would ALSO result in a 2gb download.

harpo

December 10, 2010 2:32:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Harpo,

Pre Step 1, did you install from:

1) DVD

2) Restore from Archive

3) Download fresh digital

?

Kirk

December 10, 2010 3:21:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Zargon0225,
Harpo,

Pre Step 1, did you install from:

1) DVD

2) Restore from Archive

3) Download fresh digital

?

Kirk

I've the same problem of Zargon, and I installed fresh digital.

Unlike some other guys, I didn't have this problem from the beginning, but only from the "p" subversion patch.

December 10, 2010 4:38:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

zargon, I have only had this issue with the 1.1beta's & did not have any trouble with the pre-release betas, and for your question on the computer I am using for the 1.1 beta testing I originally had the beta2 and later, all direct download. with the testing I did to help kris the actual download was 7.4mb but the claimed download size BEFORE clicking on the download button was 2.2gb,so the dirtiest fix might be to re-label the download size to program size on the impulse window when clicking on the particular program.

harpo

December 10, 2010 4:55:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cammagno74,
Me too, though I've had the problem from my first beta patch (1.09n).

Quoting harpo99999,
...the actual download was 7.4mb but the claimed download size BEFORE clicking on the download button was 2.2gb,so the dirtiest fix might be to re-label the download size to program size on the impulse window when clicking on the particular program. 
I've checked each time and for me it definitely starts downloading ~2gb.

December 10, 2010 5:06:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Unlike some other guys, I didn't have this problem from the beginning, but only from the "p" subversion patch.

Do you have it every update?  Can you please tell me if you see it tomorrow on the latest update?

Zargon

December 10, 2010 5:36:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have the same issue.

Fresh digital download from 1.01 or whatever it was a few days before launch and every single update. I think 1.09n was a 2 gig for me then 1.09o was 30 meg and now back to the 2 gig patches for the last 3.

Each time it has said update available and I have simply right clicked and update; afterwards it displayed recently updated.

December 10, 2010 6:27:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same issue, been in Beta since 0.90, only used digital updating, no DVD install. Have run with every update as it comes. Really wish I had of known about this been a bug, as I've been getting these 2 gig updates since it went gold IIRC.

December 10, 2010 6:51:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same here, I bought the game at the end of October via digital download.

Updates were fine up to 1.09n, but when 1.09o came out the patch file size was 1.89GB, so I had to revert to 1.09e and then get the patch, and all the latest patches, by following the same path as described by others above.

It's not really that much of a hassle, but it would be nice to be able to just update each patch on top of the old patch.

December 10, 2010 7:09:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Most of the time you won't get a comment on your thread in here. But everything gets read, and sometimes it results in a fix. Obviously it's not as easy as "I reported it, it should be fixed".

"Good error reporters" keep reporting bugs, and expect nothing but a better game for it.

And a good development system would log each bug as they are found and list them. I do realise that some bugs either cant be addressed quickly, or cant be isolated,or even are a low priority no matter how much they drive us nuts. It is understandable that the development team has priories to follow, this I get, but when you see the same bugs getting reported time and time aging, and no response what so ever it is slowly driving me nuts and has totally devalued our selves as beta testers.

Its like the multiple difficulty settings, as beta testers we where posting about this bug, at no point did any one from stardock take the simple time and courtesy to explain that it was not a bug, but a feature. it was rude that the way us beta testers found out about that was in a CEO youtube post, after months of requesting to have this bug fixed.

I am 100% happy to put my time and effort into this beta testing, but the sad part is I am getign nothing out of it. Oh sure a better game at the end, but so far annoying or game braking bugs that Ive been listing since beta feerl like they are ignored. and we see these bugs repeatable posted, and the issues stay around patch after patch after patch.

The ongoing change log is fantastic, but the known issue list is short, insulting short at times,  it is like a slap in the face.

Bug - cut scenes do not respond to changes in the sound settings.

Bug - combat sometimes happens multiple times

Bug - health bonuses in AI cites after taking them

bug - sometimes goodies huts don't show up on cloth map

Bug - spawned guardian units casting spells

Bug - berserk on units with multiple members (may have been fixed, haven't seen a post about it, but haven't be able to play a game long enough between updates as of late)

bug - sometimes you cant walk into a square for no reason.

Bug - cloth maps option corruption (finally fixed, thanks Derek but why was this ignore this bug for 8+ months when it seems it was a quick fix between it finally being acknowledged and the patch going live)

Surly their are open source bug tracking programs SD could use to help resolve this issue,every day I am losing more and more faith in this process, and starting to question why. When you see 9 month old bugs only getting actioned now, you start to wonder how over worked are the development teem or the bug trackers.

December 10, 2010 7:41:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hear you.  It would be easy to allow the public to submit bug reports.  We would get tons of bug reports.  Some good, some bad, most somewhere between.  Sorting through all that info takes time, to much time.

Most companies deal with this by having a small private beta team.  And even then its uncommon to get responses to individual posts (though a high percentage are read).  We have public betas, which means the signal to noise may be slightly lower (though to be honest it's amazingly good feedback) and it becomes impossible to reply to each post.

We have a lot of issues to work through as you see from the changelog lists.  We are working hard on them, as you see from the changelog lists.  We get a high percentage of these issues from the community, so your help is invaluable.  But the process is setup to make the best use of our time instead of yours.  Which is unfair since you are helping as well, and doing it for free, but in order to get the game made we have to work in a way that makes us as efficient as possible.

Which means right now I am the funnel that reviews the issues, checks and assigns those I see as high priority, dismisses those that I find invalid and places the lower priority issues on the post 1.1 list.

Issues don't make it onto the Known Issues list until I have checked them.  I don't just take a report and add it to the list.  Of the issues you mentioned "Cut scenes do not respond to changes in the sound settings" is the only issue on my post 1.1 list.  For the others I'm going to need a save to check it out.

As to issues that have been "reported for 8 months".  I can't answer that, I've only been here for a month.

Please don't assume that things like the cloth map were a "quick fix" just because they seem to turnaround quickly.  The cloth map issue had been investigated before.  This time the developer had the time and got it figured out and fixed.  That's the nature of these things.  You may assume that we ignored a problem that we weren't able to resolve or worked on and put aside because something hot came in (like crashes).  You may assume that we finally paid attention to an issue when we come up with a fix in a day after it has been around for months.  Neither assumption is accurate.

We try to be open and communicate as much as possible.  But it still isn't as much as everyone deserves.  To do it right I would respect the time you spend thinking about and submitting information for elemental (info I have asked for) by responding in kind.  Unfortunately it's not possible, but we do make an honest effort to be as communicative as we can.

December 11, 2010 12:58:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Zargon0225,

Do you have it every update?  Can you please tell me if you see it tomorrow on the latest update?

Same problem with the 1.09t update. Download size of 1.91gb.

btw, still loving the quick updates. I didn't even get the chance to play 1.09s!

December 11, 2010 1:29:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Zargon0225,

Zargon

Yes, from "p" to "s", each update was a 2 Gb update. Not only labeled as 2 Gb, but a real 2 Gb update (that with the slow Italian DSL line, is a PITA...).

Fortunatly, somebody here in the forum explained the uncheck/patch/re-check/re-patch trick, which worked for me for last 3 patches (starting from when I discovered the trick, probably it would have worked even before).

For sure I will tell you in this thread if the issue will appear again in next patch.

Edit: subversion 't' has the same problem, but probably you were speaking of a future 'u' patch.

Thanks for trying to solve this.

December 11, 2010 2:24:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,

I hear you.  It would be easy to allow the public to submit bug reports.  We would get tons of bug reports.  Some good, some bad, most somewhere between.  Sorting through all that info takes time, to much time.

We try to be open and communicate as much as possible.  But it still isn't as much as everyone deserves.  To do it right I would respect the time you spend thinking about and submitting information for elemental (info I have asked for) by responding in kind.  Unfortunately it's not possible, but we do make an honest effort to be as communicative as we can.

Sorry, I hear you too, it was more a response to the good error reports comment, we have seen some amazing changes since you have come over to Stardock, we have allways seen amazing amounts of work put in by the teams over their, and like most of us I am sure you guys dont feal 1/2 as apreachated as you realyl are.

December 11, 2010 4:26:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

bug - sometimes you cant walk into a square for no reason. <--- is it raised land from water? sometimes it might look like land..when surrounding squares are raised to a certain extent.. but isn't properly raised.. so can't walk on it. most (un)fun when you order something to move in straight line only to find there's no line and ended up walking across whole continent.

regarding this... I've been seeing the 2 gig thing since the botched beta ai update just before thanksgiving. that was the one after the 1st beta patch wasn't it.

haven't bothered updating since. don't remember seeing that kind of huge file  when updating "stable" branches since the original gold digital d/l.

that said.. i did have to reinstall everything from scratch on the computer once after gold (can't remember when) but it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference as there were at least 1 stable update that wasn't 2 gig.

December 11, 2010 6:38:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will be emailing a detailed debug log of the entire download in the morning my time, the download is 1.91gb at 150kbyte/sec and is 35.5% complete

harpo

December 11, 2010 9:05:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting alaknebs,
bug - sometimes you cant walk into a square for no reason. <--- is it raised land from water? sometimes it might look like land..when surrounding squares are raised to a certain extent.. but isn't properly raised.. so can't walk on it. most (un)fun when you order something to move in straight line only to find there's no line and ended up walking across whole continent.

No, this is on normal land, in the middle of the map, and they are found any time in game, even with in the first few turns.

December 12, 2010 3:05:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cammagno74,

Quoting Zargon0225, reply 12

Zargon

Yes, from "p" to "t", each update was a 2 Gb update. Not only labeled as 2 Gb, but a real 2 Gb update (that with the slow Italian DSL line, is a PITA...).

Fortunatly, somebody here in the forum explained the uncheck/patch/re-check/re-patch trick, which worked for me for last 3 patches (starting from when I discovered the trick, probably it would have worked even before).

For sure I will tell you in this thread if the issue will appear again in next patch.

Edit: Yeah, unfortunately subversion 'u' has the same problem.

Thanks for trying to solve this.

December 12, 2010 3:46:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i downloaded the patch 1.91 gb each time - atleast it doesent do anything (wrong) it just downloads a tad more than nessesary ? is that it ?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time: