[Gameplay] Teleportation & the Ability to Instantly Zerg Idea

By on December 6, 2010 10:24:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AlLanMandra...

Join Date 09/2010
+63

I apologize if this is already mentioned.

I've been pondering the ability to teleport armies all over the map. As it stands now, the player can warp their zerg army destroying everything. This allows instant focus fire anywhere on the map and provides huge flexibility in defense/offense. I think this may make programming the AI rather difficult as the AI may not see a threat and then whammo, threat instantly on border.

To borrow from a popular fantasy book series the Wheel of Time, I recommend the following developmental path (or something like it) for teleportation, especially when moving armies:

• Rand's ability to move quickly throughout the world started out with portal stones and Waygates. These were fixed positions in the world that allowed travel to another world where time and space was measured differently. Development of alternate worlds would be outside the scope of any near term upgrades so this is probably out of the question (although it would be cool later on).
  • Only later did they rediscover Traveling from the Age of Legends - akin to Teleportation.
  • Portal stones and Traveling required huge strength in magic to move armies. The size and/or power of the army should factor into the cost of the spell or intellect ability.

In thinking through the natural progression, it makes sense to me to do the following:

1. First traveling discovery should be by building Waygates <or whatever we'd like to call it> within cities. This would add another building choice and gives players the option of strategically placing doorways for quick movement. The power to move all over the map would be constrained by city locations and the ability to finance and support building the gates. First Waygate should be in Capital and then it allows, by default, the spell Return and the building of additional Waygates in other cities.
  2. Higher up the tech tree should allow building Waygates outside of cities - strategic choke points, etc. I imagine defensible locations at chokepoints protected by magical and physical defenses. This probably goes hand in hand with the ability to build anything on the map outside cities and resources (Waygates, fortresses, etc) - not sure if that is ever planned but if it is it will be awesome to use all those empty map tiles somehow.
  3. Highest level of tech tree should allow the full strength teleportation spell giving full freedom of movement.

I imagine the AI could be programmed to gauge and react to player movement with fixed Waygates more easily than trying to anticipate when a player army is going to warp on their border from across the map and zerg their cities. Just something to think about - wanted to get this out there if not already done so. Thanks for listening.

Locked Post 5 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Alfdaur
December 7, 2010 12:02:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like this idea.

Best regards,
Steven.

December 10, 2010 10:04:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

indeed - i like

though i wouldent mind that the soveriegn - as a solo caster can teleport "himself" around as much as he wants but armies/non spellcasters requires way gates - untill of course you would research that golden super spell - mass teleport

December 11, 2010 9:36:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Age of Wonders allowed higher level towns to build teleports so one could instantly move armies from one city to another. maybe allow it for lvl 4 cities in elemental as well. this way, the capital (usually deep within your territory and one of the highest level cities) could produce top-tier units and send them to defend the borders without having to wait 20 turns for them to arrive. and while we're at it, it should be possible to set a target for newly produced units so we don't always have to check whether there are new troops to move around. in larger maps such micromanagement takes way too much time and is quite annoying currently.

January 19, 2011 2:35:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the idea!

For reading good books

January 19, 2011 5:16:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Allowing teleportation on such a massive scale would ruin any form of strategy, especially if it is available early on. I'll wait on Black-Knight to come here and declare you all heretics If it were up to me, normal movement would be increased a bit, and fast travel would rely on ships and good roads. Maybe some forms of teleportation would be acceptable very late game, at the end of a long tech tree. But if it becomes available early on, the game is reduced to teleporting your army from your city straight to the enemy. You might as well play on 5 by 5 tiles map, imo.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time: