1.09o 15 min first impression is enough

By on December 2, 2010 11:09:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

bpalczewski

Join Date 05/2010
+8

2-3 weeks waiting for the update, 15 into game and i know that Elemental is still not playable. When it will be ?? I think never.

The same bugs plus new ones. Archers now do not want to shoot. Teleport spell cost mana and does nothing. If I click to move into the city and the city is conquered at the beginning of my turn then my army enter enemie's city and stays there without having a battle. The borders still shift from load to load.

Do not tell me that anyone is seriously testing this game .... 

PS I played a save game on 1.09n, that can be a reason for problems. However, I am not willing to start to new game, build cities, and so on, and after 2-3 hours discover that my archers cannot shoot .... Thank you very much

PSS At least numbers for damage received/give that appear over head has been fixed and corresponds to the actual number, though i would like still to show it ALWAYS

PSSS Stardock, seriously, i give one more chance to make it playable. If it is not, i am done with it - no more game from Stardock. Lots of talking, nothing changing - that's my impression

Locked Post 23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 2, 2010 11:23:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First, I understand your frustration. But, a couple comments. You really can't play a save from a previous version and expect it to work. It sucks, I know, but it's just the nature of rewriting the code. If they could make the new patch compatible in a relatively cost-effective manner, I'm sure they would. Second, if you just give the game one more chance, wait for 1.1. The devs have been very up front about the fact that this is a public test phase and isn't reccommended for most users.

December 3, 2010 12:08:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trying to play a saved game when they've made so many changes is just ridiculous!

December 3, 2010 12:53:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How is it that a BETA version of a game does not function like the post-BETA version? Does BETA mean that the developers are somehow testing the game out with those community members who have agreed to try out the BETA and possibly give feedback? That just sounds ridiculous to me, and if you know me, you know I like ridiculous.

Seriously though, the rewording of the OP into a constructive list of bugs/problems detected would be more in line with what is expected for a BETA. It is quite legitimate to be annoyed at problems in what is supposed to be a final version, but BETA is a letter from the Greek alphabet that means BETA.

December 3, 2010 2:31:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
2-3 weeks waiting for the update <snip> I played a save game on 1.09n <snip>
bpalczewski first post is enough...

December 3, 2010 8:01:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,
Do not tell me that anyone is seriously testing this game .... 

Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing?  It is a beta patch, afterall.   

December 3, 2010 8:57:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ive been playing quite a few hours, and my impression is that the game has substantially improved. The going has been tougher and more satisfying. Still trying to balance income/food/tech etc. The level 3 crash when I tried to train units is no more after I deleted older custom units.

EDIT

And tactical battles are really fun. 5 or 6 single monsters are easy to defeat single handed, though it takes some running around and healing.

December 3, 2010 9:00:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The level 3 crash when I tried to train units is no more after I deleted older custom units.

really? hmm... *testing*

EDIT/

Nope, i deleted all units except the peasants, but it still chrashed

December 3, 2010 9:01:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This IS a PreRelease version, after all.  I for one am happy that Stardock is letting those of us with the patience/fortitude to deal with the issues playtest for the upcoming 1.1 release to our heart's content, without going all cloak and dagger on us!

If  crashes, bugs, etc. are frustrating you, it might be time to put Elemental on the backburner for a few weeks, and then come back to it once the Stardock team, based on our feedback, has chased down/fixed some more issues...

1.09o is (in some cases) more buggy than 1.09e, but a LOT of changes have been introduced, so this is to be expected.

Simultaneous/Order of Initiative Combat will probably introduce some new bugs at first (until we weed them out), but I look forward to working through those as well!

December 3, 2010 9:37:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I actually played about 15 minutes of the game last night and saw a lot of improvements that I was pleased with.  Little details that had previously drove me insane, had been fixed.  Now, that was a very quick impression, I didn't have much time to play it.  I started a new game though.  Not sure why you wouldn't to help test, but oh well.  I'll play more this weekend and make a mad rant about it later.

December 3, 2010 9:38:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please do not use saved games from previous beta builds.  That is almost certainly the cause of your problems.

I also suggest, based on the tone of your post, that you not play beta builds of the game.

December 3, 2010 9:50:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it was about 15 minutes into the game that I first noticed the AI had a greater power rating than I... for the first time ever!  That was exciting and made for a great first impression!  Great job SD!  Nice to see a wiser AI!

December 3, 2010 11:07:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have played for 2 hours and the only bugs I have found are references to "essence" in the hover text, and during some enemy attacks damage was dealt to me but I did not see the white number.

I think every change is an improvement.  I especially like that the NPC monsters move more intelligently and that there are more of them to fight in the early game.  Also the combat information about chance to hit, etc is AWESOME!  I also like that the population limits my building instead of just letting me build anything.  For the first time I was saying "Dang, I need to get more people!"  Also I like that gold is a little scarcer, it makes the game more challenging and encourages me to sell things in the shop and choose my buildings more carefully.  And Janusk finally is randomized!  I hated that he looked virtually the same in every game.

Also I found the original post very irritating.  You should not download betas.

December 3, 2010 11:36:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting greggbert,
And Janusk finally is randomized!  I hated that he looked virtually the same in every game.

Well for me he seemed to cycle through a few different models before 1.09o.  But I agree that there wasn't much variety.

December 3, 2010 11:50:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is this guy joking?

December 3, 2010 11:52:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Janusk looked the same to me. As a matter of fact another faction has him too and he looked the same.

December 3, 2010 11:54:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

PS I played a save game on 1.09n, that can be a reason for problems. However, I am not willing to start to new game, build cities, and so on, and after 2-3 hours discover that my archers cannot shoot .... Thank you very much

Then don't download the patch seriously at the level things are being changed here old save games are almost certain to be broken everytime they patch. If you aren't willing to start again  on a regular basis ignore the betas and wait for the actual patch to come out.

Wait until the patch is no longer a BETA if you want a patch with no issues.

December 3, 2010 1:59:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[quote who="Frogboy" reply="10" id="2835293"
I also suggest, based on the tone of your post, that you not play beta builds of the game.[/quote]

I LOLed and now QFTing

December 3, 2010 2:21:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My Janusk has dark skin. I think everything else is the same about him, but what the heck, some variety.

December 3, 2010 4:38:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, I got a black janusk so I was totally pumped.  That was awesome.  But I still don't like that he's always called Janusk.  It sounds like an athlete's foot medicine.

December 3, 2010 5:06:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've had a number of variations on Janusk. While I agree that the BETA is buggy and is bound to be with the rapid way they are adding features that is kind of the point of having a Beta to find all these bugs.

As for how it has changed the game, radically for the better is how I'd sum up.

December 3, 2010 5:09:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Excellent job Stardock!  You're almost making me forget about the 20-30 new quests we need... i said almost.

December 3, 2010 5:13:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Excellent job Stardock! You're almost making me forget about the 20-30 new quests we need... i said almost.

At this stage I think they should add them as a reward for your single minded persistence.

December 3, 2010 10:12:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Trojasmic - Excellent job Stardock! You're almost making me forget about the 20-30 new quests we need... i said almost.

Econ - At this stage I think they should add them as a reward for your single minded persistence.

"On the 25th day of December, my true love Stardock gave me, 25 new quests, and a Toaster in a Christmas tree" (To replace the bugged toaster )

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time: