The Elder Scrolls V - Let the rumour mill begin!

By on November 23, 2010 5:17:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ZehDon

Join Date 04/2009
+115

After a significant break from their flagship series, it seems Bethesda is returning to The Elder Scrolls.  IGN has reported that, according to an unamed source, Bethesda is hard at work to TESV, which will be a direct sequel to Oblivion.  The source also apparently describes that Bethesda is using an entirely new graphics engine this time around, rather than the Gamebryo engine that powered Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Are you ready for more Elder Scrolls?

Locked Post 70 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 29, 2010 2:05:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Amen to that: Well I suppose it's because the makers are 'out of the loop' so to speak, I.E, some unknown small studio from Poland, who must put more faith in making a good, entertaining and ORIGINAL game than making the accounting/marketing/upper management dept. creaming thier pants with all that money.

November 29, 2010 3:25:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I didnt like Gothic 2, never played the others. 

November 29, 2010 3:50:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ahh Bethesda...

The first game I played of theirs was Delta V back in 1996, when I got my new Intel Pentium 100Mhz with Windows 3.11 for workgroups!

4X CD-ROM baby, with 800MB HDD and a Matrox Millenium graphics card - sweeeet.

It was basically a futuristic trench-run flight game, similar in appearance to the Star Wars trench run, except rather than being on a space station, you are actually traversing network paths in the internet, and your obstacles are representative of internet security. The more you hug the trench, the faster you go, but your hull heats up so you can't stay too low for too long.

Unfortunately, there was a bug that consistently crashed the game at around level 5 I think. At least for me anyway. It might have been a problem with my original CD copy.

Anyway, go polygons go!

November 29, 2010 3:51:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm liking more, and more, and more games coming out of Euro dev houses. My list of "damn those were good games" and games I'm looking forward to are quickly all being made up of European devs. They seem to be able to step back from the dry-humping of genres for the sake of sales, and do something fresh and original with the genre because they have the time, the backing and inclination.

Plus they aren't trying to ram $60 titles down our throats every 6 months. The games may not ultimately compete with the mega-funded titles from American publishers...but at the end of the day I'm finding myself happier with the results of Euro games than I am American ones.

(I think Magicka kind of encapsulates the attitude Euro devs seem to have.)

(Bah, stupid internal server error: url=http://arrowheadgamestudios.com/?page=games&subpage=magicka)

Not a blockbuster game by any means, but something fun, fresh, playable and with a price point that doesn't leave you going "that's it?"

November 29, 2010 4:04:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ooh, should be good.

Although i hope they change the leveling up system, i didnt like how it worked in morrowind & oblivion. Somthing like Fallouts would be fine.

I prefer getting skills from leveling than getting levels from skilling, as its open to abuse, and i just cant help myself.

November 29, 2010 8:12:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OMG_blackmage,

Quoting FadedC, reply 44
Quoting Ravenstrike, reply 43I hated Oblivion at first. It had some disastrous design flaws, so I actually hope they rethink the formula quite a bit.  But anyway,  then I got the PC version and started to mod the shit (literally) out of it. We are talking about 20 gig's of mod's here including graphics and game play improvements. Daggerfall has been the best game from this developer and even that was really buggy, since daggerfall they have just continued to dumb the franchise down. But with mod's you can restore some of that daggerfall glory! Things like...

No level Scaling.

Difficulty mod's

High resolution mod's

Fcom convergence. (this alone improves the game tenfold.)

Diablo 2 like loot system.

Mounted Combat, expanded spells

Handcrafted dungeons.

Proper oblivion invasion.

Bringing the cities into the game world.

Decapitation combat system. the list goes on and on.

Interesting, I actually avoided Oblivion because of some of the things I read about it (particularly level scaling) but your almost making me want to pick it up to try the mods. Is there like one big cohesive mod that you'd recomend?

I actually hated dagerfall, the game had so much potential but I felt that even if you slogged past the crippling bugs there just wasn't much actual gameplay. But I do agree that it would have been nice to have seen some of the potential carried over to other games.

Midas Spells of Aurum

obscures oblivion overhaul

companion mod

L.A.M.E - less annoying magic experience mod

Streamline

various Unofficial Patches

Instead of Obsures, I would suggest Fcom, it's basically mashes 3 of the biggest and best game overhauls by the community and mashes them together into one awesome patch. (includes Obscures) It's not an easy installation though, and takes work, here is the you tube trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6G9zK4D5A

November 29, 2010 10:27:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ravenstrike,

Quoting OMG_blackmage, reply 45
Quoting FadedC, reply 44
Quoting Ravenstrike, reply 43I hated Oblivion at first. It had some disastrous design flaws, so I actually hope they rethink the formula quite a bit.  But anyway,  then I got the PC version and started to mod the shit (literally) out of it. We are talking about 20 gig's of mod's here including graphics and game play improvements. Daggerfall has been the best game from this developer and even that was really buggy, since daggerfall they have just continued to dumb the franchise down. But with mod's you can restore some of that daggerfall glory! Things like...

No level Scaling.

Difficulty mod's

High resolution mod's

Fcom convergence. (this alone improves the game tenfold.)

Diablo 2 like loot system.

Mounted Combat, expanded spells

Handcrafted dungeons.

Proper oblivion invasion.

Bringing the cities into the game world.

Decapitation combat system. the list goes on and on.

Interesting, I actually avoided Oblivion because of some of the things I read about it (particularly level scaling) but your almost making me want to pick it up to try the mods. Is there like one big cohesive mod that you'd recomend?

I actually hated dagerfall, the game had so much potential but I felt that even if you slogged past the crippling bugs there just wasn't much actual gameplay. But I do agree that it would have been nice to have seen some of the potential carried over to other games.

Midas Spells of Aurum

obscures oblivion overhaul

companion mod

L.A.M.E - less annoying magic experience mod

Streamline

various Unofficial Patches

Instead of Obsures, I would suggest Fcom, it's basically mashes 3 of the biggest and best game overhauls by the community and mashes them together into one awesome patch. (includes Obscures) It's not an easy installation though, and takes work, here is the you tube trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6G9zK4D5A

The sad part is I have more then one overhaul running at once so I may have it and not know it. I only have to say I hate the weakness obscure gave the mage sign, every 3 hits from a regular weapon = death. Suck for those trying to be battle mages, and using touch spells.

November 30, 2010 11:10:36 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I don't know about you, but putting the fact that a game is moddable quite easely, could that count for the game's shortcoming, with the ' The community will arrange things' won't make it a better game

November 30, 2010 11:31:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oblivion had one of the worst character development systems I've ever seen in an RPG.

Oblivion feels/plays like a MMORPG - except there's no other people and just NPCs that are dumber than WoW players - which shouldn't be possible.

Pretty graphics aren't enough to make a game worth buying.

I didn't care for Oblivion - although if one really needs to get to sleep it's great at inducing boredom and a comatose state.

Fallout3 is a decent game but it's not really Fallout.  And again...I've never liked how Bethesda does character development in any game.

Overall, I dislike everything Bethesda does and hope they don't get their hands on any other titles I used to like so they can't turn them into FPS and ruin them too.

My nightmare would be Bethesda getting hold of Baldur's Gate and turning it into a FPS.  Doh, too late...Bioware already bastardized their own game.

Dunno man.  I'm old school and a PC gamer.  I don't feel the need for every game to be a FPS console style game.  I like PC games.  Games like Oblivion (PC UI sucked and was designed for console) and DA:Origins feel more like console games than PC games - and they suck.  Pretty graphics with mediocre gameplay.

November 30, 2010 12:13:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Voqar,
Oblivion had one of the worst character development systems I've ever seen in an RPG.

Oblivion feels/plays like a MMORPG - except there's no other people and just NPCs that are dumber than WoW players - which shouldn't be possible.

Pretty graphics aren't enough to make a game worth buying.

I didn't care for Oblivion - although if one really needs to get to sleep it's great at inducing boredom and a comatose state.

Fallout3 is a decent game but it's not really Fallout.  And again...I've never liked how Bethesda does character development in any game.

Overall, I dislike everything Bethesda does and hope they don't get their hands on any other titles I used to like so they can't turn them into FPS and ruin them too.

My nightmare would be Bethesda getting hold of Baldur's Gate and turning it into a FPS.  Doh, too late...Bioware already bastardized their own game.

Dunno man.  I'm old school and a PC gamer.  I don't feel the need for every game to be a FPS console style game.  I like PC games.  Games like Oblivion (PC UI sucked and was designed for console) and DA:Origins feel more like console games than PC games - and they suck.  Pretty graphics with mediocre gameplay.

Seconded.

Console's a bigger market for one; of course, gone are the glory dyas when you can have a Pc ported game on Pc, and the console equivalent on console.  Now they take the common denominator and then rig it up for PC (or PC to console, but that is quite rare nowadays)

And graph never makes the game, but sure seems to count for 80% of the reviewer's note for some reason.  Generally it's compared to 2-3 title of the same branch.

Want another horrible old game make anew and basterdized?  X-Com!...now in FPS in a typical 1950s background!

Huzzah!  nothing is sacred short of the mighty dollar!

November 30, 2010 1:31:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just want to thank all you people for good words about The Witcher. Don't forget it's based on 7 books saga of hard-fantasy written by Andrzej Sapkowski. I never read anything as gripping and exciting as these books. My "adventure" with witcher character began at 1986 and then continued till 1999. First two books are mix ups of the short stories. Tha author was using old myths and fairy tales and rewrinting them in really nice way. Next 5 books are a great novel about destiny, love and all that stuff. The witcher Geralt is the 'real' person with his own rules, dillemas and problems. Not as flat as in the game (fight and f*ck kind of guy). Overall this is great stuff and if you ever have a chance to read it I strongly suggest you do that. Do not watch the TV series though - it's crap.

And about next TES. As many of you I'm also afraid dof further consolization of the franchize.

November 30, 2010 2:10:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LEADER MkII,
I don't know about you, but putting the fact that a game is moddable quite easely, could that count for the game's shortcoming, with the ' The community will arrange things' won't make it a better game

Honestly, I don't understand why so many of you are against modding or why that should count against it. Oblivion is not a new game, it's pretty old but the fact that they implemented an ingame editor and allow modding REALLY extends the lifetime of the game. Sure, they did have some design flaws and problems but the game itself, when released, was incredible. The mere fact that the community can add to the experience and the gameplay is just a huge bonus.

Anyways, if so many of you hated Oblivion and Morrowind I'd be curious to see how you'd design TES IV You could also always try modding it to see if you can make it better.

Lastly, I'm in agreement that they SHOULD NOT SIMPLIFY AND DUMB DOWN what they had from the previous games. I HATE that and it'll be the one thing that makes me stop being a gamer. I like choice, freedom, and complexity in my games.

November 30, 2010 2:22:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think anyone is against modding but making a poor game and then saying the mods will make it better does suck.

It should be a good game first that doesn't need to be modded. The mods can come later but Oblivion right out of the box needed to be modded and that sucks. Reminds me of another game that was released to be modded and is still in its development stages. Games need to be released that are ready to play rather than tinkered with to make it playable.

November 30, 2010 2:29:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting DariasDruss,
I don't think anyone is against modding but making a poor game and then saying the mods will make it better does suck.

Yup, this is what I meant...or using the 'try with mods', argument; not everyone buys something, hoping the bells and whisltes will mkae it grand; I want it grand when it's STAND-ALONE

November 30, 2010 6:24:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting flymar,
...As many of you I'm also afraid dof further consolization of the franchize.

This is my second major concern, the first being that they decide to go the MMORPG route, and The Elder Scrolls ends up like Warhammer Online; a joke of a product.  This concern of course comes from Bethesda registering the domain "Elders Scrolls Online".  I hope it's merely one of those red herring kind of things; if Elders went MMO I'd breakdown and cry.

In terms of the further consolisation of the series, I too am a little worried, though I have faith.  I think Bethesda walked a very fine line with Oblivion; they needed to make some changes to the PC Version before it was shipped to correct the UI at the very least.  Failing to do this meant the Xbox 360 version was kind of the definitive version, which is rather sad.  Overall though, Oblivion was as good as Morrowind, though in different ways.  I think lock-picking was a bad move, I was very good at it and had no trouble with Very Hard locks - removing the need for the Lock Picking skill at all.  And the enemy leveling removed the chief point of any Elder Scrolls title; taking an ex-prisoner and making them powerful enough to destroy the Sun with a twitch of an eye lash.

In terms of game mechanics, I don't think they'll go any further down the streamline path then they already have - they wouldn't be steamlining features so much as simply removing feature from the game if they did.  I'd like to see some more attention paid to atmosphere; Morrowind fucking nailed this.  Talking to someone, or reading a book, about the history and lore of the Ashland people kept me enthralled for hours.  I know not everyone wants this, but that level of detail is what the Elder Scrolls is all about and it was sorely missing from Oblivion.
I'd also like to see the NPC count raised; The Imperial City - hub of the Imperial Empire and home to the Emperor himself - housed somewhere around 30 named NPCs rather than they tens of thousands depicted in several books in previous games.  I understand that number is a little unrealisitc - but if we could get more than 5 on screen at once, I think the game would feel more 'alive'.  And for the love of GOD hire new Animators.

Overall though, and I've played through Morrowind recently, Oblivion felt a little too easy to get the best gear and the environment wasn't varied enough - though it does fit into the Lore of the game, so it's kind of forgiveable.  Vvardenfell was simply more interesting and unique than Cyrodiil, and that to me is Oblivion's biggest fault.

January 9, 2011 6:49:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First leaked image can be seen here.  It's scanned, but it's damn impressive.  Faces have come a long way from Oblivion!

First, offical details can be seen here, are below:

• Third person view has been improved
  • 5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.
  • there is an option for no HUD.
  • On Conversations: Conversations aren’t done in a zoomed in static shot anymore.Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.
  • On Weapon smithing: Go to a forge and carve a new weapon out of red hot metal.
  • Dual-wielding: you have two hands now in combat and you can wield anything to both hands. You may assign a dagger on left hand and use a mace with right hand. The choice as they say is yours.
  • Duel: You may duel any NPC on the streets western style.
  • Inheritence: When you kill a shopkeeper, his/her family member will inherit the shop and will be angry about you, but stil give you missions.
  • Level-scaling: It is coming back
  • 18 skills: supposedly even less skills to play with?
  • No mysticism
  • Perks: Rumored to be in Skyrim. I may have understood it wrong.
  • Boosts: Pick stamina, health, magic boosts on level up.
  • Enchanting: This skill makes a return.
  • “Radiant storytelling” or Level Scaling 2.0: “The game eventually logs a huge storehouse of knowledge about how you’ve played, and subsequently tailors content to your capabilities and experiences. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you’ve explored, automatically set the mission in a place you’ve never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses.”
  • Fast-Travel: As you probably expect, you can instantly travel to previous locations with a tap of the button
  • Sprinting: You can now sprint about!
  • Town visiting: You may do more in towns, like tailor weapons, cooking, farming or mining. Not much details about this or how detailed they are as jobs.
  • Dynamic Shadows
  • Improved Faces/Improved Models Example: Faces have been dramatically overhauled. Characters now exhibit more emotion show of distinctions between different races and just plain looks better.
  • Radiant AI
  • Updated Engine Snow falls dynamically (not as a basic texture on the ground)
  • Trees and branches move independently with the wind
  • Water flows
  • Randomly generated quests
  • Beards
  • You can’t run backwards as fast as you do forward.
  • 10 races to choose from (Holy crap thats a lot of races)
  • confirmed creatures: zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth, saber-toothed cats
  • presumably open cities (as dragons can attack)
  • Hud-free first-person view and improved third-person perspective
  • very unique landscapes! Also unique dungeons! In other words, lots of uniqueness!
  • Character creation improved, body features customizable
  • 2-handed weapons and duel wielding confirmed.
  • Finishing moves, unique to each weapon and enemy you fight.
  • Kids
  • Dialog will pop up when you approach an enemy
  • cooking/farming/mining/woodcutting/blacksmithing
  • Perk picking at every level-up
  • 5 Magic Schools Destruction Alteration Conjuration Restoration Illusion.

Sounds interesting, thought the Skill and Perk system sounds a little too similiar to Fallout 3.

January 9, 2011 7:24:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
First leaked image can be seen here.  It's scanned, but it's damn impressive.  Faces have come a long way from Oblivion!

First, offical details can be seen here, are below:

[list]...

Kids as in player's kids or kids in the world?

January 9, 2011 8:13:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good list. 18 skills... Now I hope that this means that they might be combining some skills together. Only time will tell.

Good to see that enchanting is back.

January 9, 2011 8:39:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nesrie,
Kids as in player's kids or kids in the world?

Most likely it means Kids in the world.  Marriage or lasting relationships have never been a big thing in The Elder Scrolls, it would be massive enough that they'd list it along side the Skill changes.

January 9, 2011 8:45:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Perks: Rumored to be in Skyrim. I may have understood it wrong.
Perks aren't a rumor, they're totally confirmed. They're associated with skills. There may be exceptions to that, but that's the general trend at least; the article talked like they were all like that.
10 races to choose from (Holy crap thats a lot of races)
No it's not. That's the same as every other Elder Scrolls game.

So far, I like everything we've heard about it. I just hope all that actually makes it in and is implemented well.

Things that are unconfirmed, but I hope are in:

Spears. I am not alone in this, just about everyone I've talked to really wants spears and other polearms back in Elder Scrolls.

Levitation. Not as big a deal as spears, but moving in a 3d plane is something people would like to see back in the game. It was out of Oblivion due to the cities ont being open, so hopefully it's back in now.

Climb. This was taken out back in Morrowind, but considering the mountainous nature of Skyrim, it would make sense to do it now. Since they're having less skills, it would not be illogical to combine climb, athletics, and acrobatics, and thus have a general locomotion skill.

Snow Whales. These were never in Elder Scrolls o my knowledge, but they're in some of the old books, and they're a very interesting creature that I'd like to interact with. Of course, they were designed by Kirkbride, and the current higher-ups at Bethesda seem to rather dislike his stuff, despite (or possibly because of) its popularity amongst fans.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: