The Elder Scrolls V - Let the rumour mill begin!

By on November 23, 2010 5:17:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ZehDon

Join Date 04/2009
+115

After a significant break from their flagship series, it seems Bethesda is returning to The Elder Scrolls.  IGN has reported that, according to an unamed source, Bethesda is hard at work to TESV, which will be a direct sequel to Oblivion.  The source also apparently describes that Bethesda is using an entirely new graphics engine this time around, rather than the Gamebryo engine that powered Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Are you ready for more Elder Scrolls?

Locked Post 70 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 23, 2010 6:45:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am always ready for more ES.  I love that shit.  And Beths Fallout, even more than the old Fallout games. Love Bethesda. 

November 23, 2010 7:33:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

with that new graphics engine i just hope that they give us PC gamers more bang for our buck and less console port.  i am still looking for the reason i bought a new video card...

November 23, 2010 10:03:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well considering I still play TES IV, this is great news. I honestly don't know what to ask from it though, besides more unique voiceacting.

November 23, 2010 10:18:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
Well considering I still play TES IV, this is great news. I honestly don't know what to ask from it though, besides more unique voiceacting.

How about: stability, better animations, better writing, a more fleshed out magic system, post-release support consisting of more than 2 patches, AI that doesn't just stand around while you shoot them full of arrows, physics that allow you to run around without getting stuck in objects or go through the floor.

November 23, 2010 10:35:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TheProgress,

Quoting GoaFan77, reply 3Well considering I still play TES IV, this is great news. I honestly don't know what to ask from it though, besides more unique voiceacting.

How about: stability, better animations, better writing, a more fleshed out magic system, post-release support consisting of more than 2 patches, AI that doesn't just stand around while you shoot them full of arrows, physics that allow you to run around without getting stuck in objects or go through the floor.

Some valid points, but I haven't had any stability issues on my current laptop with the GOTY edition. I never used magic for very much either, though I would like a different leveling system across the board, but I've been using mods to get around that in IV.

November 23, 2010 10:41:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Some valid points, but I haven't had any stability issues on my current laptop with the GOTY edition. I never used magic for very much either, though I would like a different leveling system across the board, but I've been using mods to get around that in IV.

Oh yes please, I had totally forgotten about that. Scaling enemies makes for no fun. I loved morrowind because I could explore and sometimes run into incredibly dangerous enemies while at a low level.

November 24, 2010 12:16:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about: stability,

It will be designed with consoles in mind. 

better animations,

Why bother making new ones when Fallout3's do fine?

better writing,

Why bother when no body reads it?  Clearly combat is much more exciting.

a more fleshed out magic system,

Nobody likes complexity.  There will be a few "attack" spells, and a few "healing" spells.  This way everybody can pick the game up immediately.

post-release support consisting of more than 2 patches,

DCL my friend! 

AI that doesn't just stand around while you shoot them full of arrows,

No body likes dying, and the player loves feeling like a god. 

physics that allow you to run around without getting stuck in objects or go through the floor.

Why bother with physics when we can have more combat?!

November 24, 2010 12:54:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just hope they don't radically change the way things worked from Oblivion and simplify all the stuff. SOME COMPLEXITY IS GOOD. Quite frankly, I don't think stupid people should be able to or know how to cast magic spells and study runes.

Anyways, I like how they're drawing on the Fallout (aka Oblivion) engine for this game, they have a fantastic engine and might as well not let it go to waste. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Also, I do hope they improve the animations a bit from Fallout 3. The previous games on this engine leaves a bit to be desired from the animations. Luckily, modders usually have decent enough replacement packs.

On that note, Oblivion V MUST have good modding support and easy editors (like Fallout and Oblivion). Don't change what isn't broke and respect that it made these games as good as they are.

What do you all think the plot will be about? No more imperial kings? Who or what is the next big threat? The Blades are back? Is a Dragon attacking? How big will it be? OOooo... can't wait to hear more.

November 24, 2010 1:16:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They didn't learn or change anything in their design significantly in FO3. Some of the same balance problems that existed in Oblivion were in FO3.

Not to mention the bugs, the performance, or any of that jazz, which were all there.

I don't see why I should assume they're going to do things any different this time. The last Beth game I bought I wasn't dissatisfied with after the 20 hour mark was Morrowind. I won't be going near this until well after release.

November 24, 2010 2:02:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting TheProgress,

Quoting GoaFan77,
reply 5

Oh yes please, I had totally forgotten about that. Scaling enemies makes for no fun. I loved morrowind because I could explore and sometimes run into incredibly dangerous enemies while at a low level.

Gotta give them some credit for trying it though. Too often you hear gamers complain about getting the same things over and over again and when a new system is tried, kind of nail them for it. I am glad someone gave this a go whether it worked fully or not. It's sort of the opposite problem Borderlands faced, that game could have used some massive scaling.

November 24, 2010 2:37:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I never did elder scrolls.  It as a very unique play style.

November 24, 2010 3:37:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting James009D,
I just hope they don't radically change the way things worked from Oblivion and simplify all the stuff. SOME COMPLEXITY IS GOOD. Quite frankly, I don't think stupid people should be able to or know how to cast magic spells and study runes.

was the system in oblivion better than the system in morrowind? I spent a good few days exploring the potion making system which looked really cool before I managed to break the economy and get all the stuff I wanted by making really good potions of ugliness.

November 24, 2010 3:59:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I, for one, am not too excited. Oblivion was a rather mediocre game - dull, with consolized interface and graphics, absurd levelling system, uninspired combat (why do I get damage after successful block?) and generic "living signpost-style" NPC. Witcher, Mass Effect or even ages old Baldur's gate are clearly superior choices.

And Fallout 3 - that was outright horrible game. As much as I loved 1 and 2, I hated 3 with passion, especially the cheerful, Americanized voice-overs ("Oh, hello, welcome to our radioactive, mutant-infested hellhole. How may I help you today? Shopping for a new geiger counter, or a crude crowbar to bash the mutants? God, you blisters look marvelous!") Atmosphere, immersion, RIP.

And the action combat was the last nail to the coffin.

November 24, 2010 7:52:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are they going to fix the godawful scaling nonsense? I played Oblivion once, and never picked it up again due to that BS.

November 24, 2010 8:08:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oblivion has a very active modding community (with lots of infighting, alas) - many excellent, awesome mods.  Mods of the scaling, the quests, npcs, graphics, and even new worlds...  vanilla ob was rather tasteless.  But modded - it was one clever adventure after another.

My hope, since TES V is using a new engine, is that the same tool types (the construction set)  are ALSO remaed to work with the new game engine.

November 24, 2010 8:17:49 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

No scaling I agree: nothing like fighting 3 bums in the city...with them wearing Dwarven Plate and wielding Magical warhammer, because you're level 4 now, can't have them with thier normal knives and rags, where's the challenge?

I got one for 'ya; where's the realism?

I'm thinking they'll have some big shot hollywood actor for voice over, but he will surely dissapear/get killed 10 minutes in the game..sure was like that in Oblivion/FO3...then back to the half dozen similar voices all across the kingdom.

I re-installed Morrowind to see what was diffrent: TES3 is a pure PC game, while TES4 was a console port.  I hope (but ain,t holding my breath) that  they'll do a pure PC game.

Worse case, Witcher 2 is coming out in 6 months.  I know I'm putting 50$ on the side for that puppy

November 24, 2010 8:35:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Windexglow,

How about: stability,

It will be designed with consoles in mind. 

better animations,

Why bother making new ones when Fallout3's do fine?

better writing,

Why bother when no body reads it?  Clearly combat is much more exciting.

a more fleshed out magic system,

Nobody likes complexity.  There will be a few "attack" spells, and a few "healing" spells.  This way everybody can pick the game up immediately.

post-release support consisting of more than 2 patches,

DCL my friend! 

AI that doesn't just stand around while you shoot them full of arrows,

No body likes dying, and the player loves feeling like a god. 

physics that allow you to run around without getting stuck in objects or go through the floor.

Why bother with physics when we can have more combat?!

My cynicism detector just blew up, and I am a pretty decent cynic myself

November 24, 2010 10:25:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oblivion and Fallout 3 were terrible games in almost every respect (gameplay, technical, writing, repetitive enemies and dungeons, big-empty-world-with-nothing-to-do, etc.); unplayable without extensive modding and cheat codes to teleport around to avoid all the pointless walking around.  If they're going to copy-paste the same game yet again because the 360 can't handle a better engine I'll pass.

Thank goodness for The Witcher 2, as this and Dragon Age 2 look like busts.

November 24, 2010 11:19:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All I ask for is a better and more complex magic system, as a mage player I found the magic in this game horribly boring, and un inspiring both visually and game play wise. Only reason I continue to play is because mods make this a amazing game. I somewhat enjoyed the leveling system with the world around me, that is the thing that stopped it from feeling like a single player mmo game.

November 24, 2010 1:53:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

First thing I'll say is that a few of the complaints about Oblivion in this thread (like level scaling, "console" UI and so forth were very easily fixed with mods of which there are thousands).

I love the ES series.  Played about 300 hours worth of Morrowind in the day and played at least that much with 3 full playthru's of Oblivion.  I very much look forward to ES V.

But for the love of Pete..... PLEASE NO STEAMWORKS!!!

Don't make me miss my favorite game series of all time due to requiring Steam. Please. 

November 24, 2010 2:38:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Make it like Daggerfall.

November 24, 2010 2:51:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Seriously though, I am concerned primarily about modding.  They don't make any money off it.  The money comparison between PC and consoles is likely wide as well.  Why bother with DCL when mods keep the game fresh?

November 24, 2010 3:32:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@bonscott - The scaling thing made me throw away the game after about two hours. I know that there came mods later that removed scaling, but it really should not have been nessesary to implement mods. I have never picked up the game again. It was one of the worst ideas in gaming history. 

November 24, 2010 3:38:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I didn't like the scaling either, but worst ideas in gaming history might be hyperbole.  E.T probably holds many more truly worst ideas in gaming history than a game that sold as well and was as well received as Oblivion.

November 24, 2010 4:48:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can see how scaling might sound like a good idea to developers on paper.  How do we insure that the main quest remains at the intended difficulty for people who want to do every little sidequest?  Why, have the enemies scale with the player so that endgame fights don't turn into curbstomps.

In practice, there is no way this system can ever work.  Since getting stronger has no real benefits to the player under this system, all you've done is discourage the player from ever getting levels.  It's not the first game to try it either; Final Fantasy VIII tried this too, with similar results (players quickly found out that running from every fight and beating the game at single digit levels was the easiest way to win).

And people saying a game is 'good' after mods doesn't excuse the original design in any way.  I'm sure Big Rigs could be modded into a good game if you rewrote the entire program, but that doesn't make Big Rigs a good game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: