1.1 Beta Impressions - After 5-6 Hours

By on November 20, 2010 12:51:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

DevildogFF

Join Date 03/2010
+7

First off, this is a serious step in the right direction. It's really starting to feel polished and it is finally fulfilling its promise. I am blown away by how much better this game continues to get. 

First, Global Mana was the right choice. It's nearly perfectly implemented, too. I don't have a single problem with it. 

The UI is significantly improved, too, from the cities to the units. A very nice upgrade. I still think it needs some help (I really dislike the "see more" button that I have to press each time I want a unit with magic to "auto-explore" - can we do something about that?), but overall, the UI is leaps and bounds better. I'm loving the hard work, Stardock. 

Also, the research trees feel like they're exactly what they should be now. I love that I have to research the different magic groups. It makes the game more strategic and feels right. Great job! 

The new spells are fantastic! I also really like the new graphics that go with them in the spell book. I'm so happy with them. BRAVO!

I like the way the cities' influence expands now, but I wish it weren't so....boxy? Can't we find a middle ground between what was and what it is now? It feels more calculated and less natural, if that makes sense.  

On the other side of things, there are some things I don't like:

I don't understand food anymore. Or population. Or how the AI has a million cities. The Hiergamenon is broken. I CTD a lot. The AI is still pretty dumb (I know it hasn't been changed that much yet). I don't understand the "Faction Power" bar (i.e. how is that determined?). I hate that it takes me many turns to start getting research under way unless I have a sovereign that has the ability to do that research. Can't cities have an innate, albeit small, research capability so I begin researching right away, please? I hate that I have to click that "more options" button a lot. AND I still hate how boxy the characters still look. Can we overhaul that a little while we're at it? 

I've already begun recommending this game. For the first time, I honestly believe this game is well worth the money I spent. 

You've won me back, Stardock. After a rest, could you please fix this patch so I can lose myself in the game compleltely? Thanks

Locked Post 84 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 24, 2010 7:28:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

Dynasty system: children still could use some more "meat". Playing female with the abilities I want to later marry (if possible) a farmer so: my boys are farmers like the father (20% Food production each!) and girls have the same abilites as me (Green Thumb, Tactician or whatever). That's nice but not "cool enough".

how about a genetics system where each heros stats is generated off perhaps 6 genes e.g.

Gene 1 Farmer ability, +1 str -3 dex
Gene 2 +4 int
Gene 3 +2-4 Str +2-6HP
Gene 4 +2-4 Con -1
Gene 5 No effect
Gene 6 Merchant ability,+1 Cha, -4HP

For each child 3 genes are selected randomly from each parent, and there is an X% chance that one is replaced by a random one.

Some genes might affect multiple stats, some may be better than others, the exact genes would be hidden from the players

November 24, 2010 7:47:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Movement mid to late game gets really annoying. Need some reasonable way to travel distances that aren't lame (i.e. don't rely on teleporting)

Have you considered horses?? I mean as a real resource in the world, and not just as mythological creatures only available to heroes in shops?

November 24, 2010 10:49:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Here's my list of observations as a game developer on the game and as the lead designer:

Conquering a city doesn't remove enchantments on it
The computer players aren't casting spells (I know because I had to disable it for the 1.1 beta)
When I found a city, it should do the animation first before taking you to the book so that you can appreciate what is happening.
The opening page when you enter the game should give you more useful and interesting data.
The world is still too bland and uninteresting in general.
There is still no real personality between the various factions.
The global mana is very very nice.
The overall economy feels much better.
There is still way too much advantage to building lots of cities because each city can do a lot of parallel work.
Archers are too powerful right now (8 attack on short bow is too much)
Tech pacing is better but gets bogged down.
Need more quests
Need more notable locations
Need more interesting land tiles - the land is just boring
The monsters sit around waiting to be killed
The monsters are fairly moronic. 
The wildlands need to feel a lot scarier.
Need a lot better dialog
Not enough diplomatic options
Not enough tools to work together with other players
Movement mid to late game gets really annoying. Need some reasonable way to travel distances that aren't lame (i.e. don't rely on teleporting)

Many of these things are on my plate since I am doing the AI full time at this point.  My biggest issue that I don't see an easy fix is the land is just..blah.  In Civilization, every tile feels like it matters.  Elemental has the city building of MOM but the world design of a HOMM which isn't compatible.

Comments on the comments

a) Agreed

Nothing I can suggest here

c) Agreed

d) No real opinion

e) Very much agreed.  Removing the bonuses hurt here.  Would help if there were more bonuses, maybe don't up the frequency but up the variety

f) You guys didn't fix that in GalCiv until twilight , so not expecting a quick fix here

g) Agreed

h) Somewhat agreed.  Still needs some tweaking.

i) Best solution here is to make the lvl-requiring buildings beefier, or throw a hard tile limit based on city lvl, not counting huts or bonus resources.  Maybe do all of thsoe at once.

j) That's something I expected for later.

k) Yes.

l) How about adding a feature from FFH2 into Elemental?  Add in the Unique features, maybe make them goodie huts also like in FFH2.  No shame in copying something that works well.

m) Not important would be  nice to have.

n) Some monsters should be stupid, others nod.

o) Might be  something that is higher difficulty only

p) They seem scary enough  when people research adventure, which isn't happening right now.  Making people have to research adventure to see the hidden goodie huts instead of waiting on the AI to do it might help here.

q) This was a disappointment after GC2

r) Diplomatic options shouldn't be so tied into the tech tree.  No one researches diplomacy much

s) Agreed, but more pressing matters

t) Kinda hard to do in a traditional fantasy game, especially when you have a general lack of mounts and roads. Unless you're going to go Steampunk, I can't think of a good solution here.

November 24, 2010 10:57:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well this is a barren world, it is normal that you don't have too much animal life easy for picking...

I think that horses should be breed, after you discover the tech you shold be able to build horse farms, an improvement that use some citizens , citizens and food per turn (the horses need food after all) and each one shoul give horses to equip 2-3 troops. this should have the following advantages:

1 - More Buildings to do, now you only construct knowledge/arcane buildings

2- Will not require to populate the world with many horse sources (it is a barren world after all)

3 - The food requirement makes sure that is is not good for every civi to have all horse military, as you will be trading quickier troops for bigger cities.

November 24, 2010 1:01:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Beta.

Crash bugs, I could live with. Breaking the zone of control so it resets all the building you've done, when it worked just fine before, is not something I hand wave with the beta comment. It's made the beta difficult to test and evaluate, and that's something they need to avoid.

November 24, 2010 2:52:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Here's my list of observations as a game developer on the game and as the lead designer:

***The world is still too bland and uninteresting in general.
Need more quests
Need a lot better dialog

Many of these things are on my plate since I am doing the AI full time at this point.  My biggest issue that I don't see an easy fix is the land is just..blah.  In Civilization, every tile feels like it matters.  Elemental has the city building of MOM but the world design of a HOMM which isn't compatible.

Since this is a Post-Apocalyptic world, we should see a lot of evidence of the former civilizations. Big ruins of statues sticking out of the sand, etc.

*Here it comes, Frogboy: Just like Master of Orion, seeking out the mythical planet to settle, why not have a mythical city (cities) like Atlantis that are hidden out in the wastes but if found (through research and exploration) could provide treasure, research, and a kick-ass place to build a city?

There could be smaller legends to seek out, too. Perhaps you have to hire an archaeologist champion, and as you research the various levels of adventuring/questing, these legends become randomly known to you, or by exploring you find clues (if you're lucky).

With the ability to open up other maps/areas, you could have the adventurers go underground to explore.

Otherwise, as far as spicing up the land: You have three tile sets, right? Wasteland, Kingdom's Gaia, and Empire's Shattered Earth. Give different tiles effects. The wasteland itself should have lots of cool tiles where we might want to build/battle with defense and other bonuses. Through magic research the Kingdom and Empire tiles that can be created through magic could become varies and strategic, each providing their own bonuses: *Kingdom researches "Create Old-Growth Forest," which provides .05 mana per turn for every tile of it.

*Kingdom researches "Create Flood Plain" that provides .05 food for every tile of it cast along a river.

*Empire researches "Drain Life" spell which sucks all life out of a tile of land, providing +5 mana.

*Empire researches "Fissure of Fire," creating a well of magma on a tile that provides .5 metal.

Think of every kind of land on Earth and how it would translate to E:WOM. Shaping the land and exploring the land are two major draws to the game! Both should be full of strategies and variety. Keep it up! It's gonna be a classic.

November 24, 2010 3:19:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nenjin,

Beta.

Crash bugs, I could live with. Breaking the zone of control so it resets all the building you've done, when it worked just fine before, is not something I hand wave with the beta comment. It's made the beta difficult to test and evaluate, and that's something they need to avoid.
You are wrong. They are trying to improve the code for the ZOC, therefore it's natural that bugs may happen about it. Sad but true. As this is still beta (which no one is forced to "play"), it's "fine" and there is still time for Carielf and company to fix it for the release of 1.1 patch.

November 24, 2010 3:42:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

Quoting Nenjin,
reply 55

Beta.

Crash bugs, I could live with. Breaking the zone of control so it resets all the building you've done, when it worked just fine before, is not something I hand wave with the beta comment. It's made the beta difficult to test and evaluate, and that's something they need to avoid.You are wrong. They are trying to improve the code for the ZOC, therefore it's natural that bugs may happen about it. Sad but true. As this is still beta (which no one is forced to "play"), it's "fine" and there is still time for Carielf and company to fix it for the release of 1.1 patch.

Hah well said, so many people forget that with beta's....they know some of the stuff is broken, it doesn't matter if you can hand wave the beta at it or not...they want what they currently have tested while they continue to work. 

November 24, 2010 7:17:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
It's a relief to read what you've posted, Frogboy. If I look at the game as a whole, I can agree with everything you've mentioned, which makes me feel very confident that this game will reach true greatness one day. I don't even consider most of those points true complaints (world isn't too boring to me and I don't know that the wilds are dying to be less tame), but if I look at those observations objectively, I can agree that the game would benefit from these issues being addressed. So, now that we're aware of the current issues, what's your timeline with this patch and what's your timeline with each of your points, FrogBrad? What can we do to make this patch as perfect as it can be?
November 26, 2010 12:52:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My ideas on land being to uninteresting and barren:

1. Massively underused quest system.You said yourself that so much more is possible within the engine. Quests are kinda pointless as is... leveling them is pointless as they have the same rewards, and except for 1 or 2 early game ones they don't even involve combat.  Either spend more time and wages on more official quests or make a quest editor so people can start pumping out their own! With a easy to use editor I think you would very quickly see tons of new interesting events and quests pop up almost instantly.

2. Badly done city states. They are just factions that don't build cities.... They can even conquer cities! They shouldn't count towards map faction limits or be an actual team i.e Capitar. They should not be so much a enemy faction as they should be a interesting addition to a map i.e a dungeon. Make them completely defensive, faction-less, and in control of some resources worth trading or fighting for. More actual city states and not just handicapped mini empires....

3. Monster lairs! I think these were in at some point but were removed. Having monsters be pushed back by culture is interesting and fine early game but late game it renders monsters extinct anywhere near your heartlands. Rare monster lairs should spawn that in return push back culture and spawn monsters. The only way to kill them is to attack them and defeat the tough boss monsters within. 

4. Items and effects. Game needs more hero items i.e swords that do fire dmg or boost dex. That way people would actually have a good reason to quest and explore. But idea 1 should be done first.

November 26, 2010 4:04:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Dsraider,
My ideas on land being to uninteresting and barren:

1. Massively underused quest system.You said yourself that so much more is possible within the engine. Quests are kinda pointless as is... leveling them is pointless as they have the same rewards, and except for 1 or 2 early game ones they don't even involve combat.  Either spend more time and wages on more official quests or make a quest editor so people can start pumping out their own! With a easy to use editor I think you would very quickly see tons of new interesting events and quests pop up almost instantly.

2. Badly done city states. They are just factions that don't build cities.... They can even conquer cities! They shouldn't count towards map faction limits or be an actual team i.e Capitar. They should not be so much a enemy faction as they should be a interesting addition to a map i.e a dungeon. Make them completely defensive, faction-less, and in control of some resources worth trading or fighting for. More actual city states and not just handicapped mini empires....

3. Monster lairs! I think these were in at some point but were removed. Having monsters be pushed back by culture is interesting and fine early game but late game it renders monsters extinct anywhere near your heartlands. Rare monster lairs should spawn that in return push back culture and spawn monsters. The only way to kill them is to attack them and defeat the tough boss monsters within. 

4. Items and effects. Game needs more hero items i.e swords that do fire dmg or boost dex. That way people would actually have a good reason to quest and explore. But idea 1 should be done first.

Okay, wow, I love these ideas! STARDOCK! LISTEN TO THIS PERSON!

Seriously, though, those are fantastic ideas. I love the idea of returning (?) monster lairs. I think I remember them being in the beta, maybe? Either way, it's a great idea. Again, just look to MOM and FFH (I've just dove in to this for the holiday weekend. WELL DONE, Kael!). I really like the races of FFH2, as well. Can we do something about the lack of diversity in Elemental, please?

I absolutely love finding new races and see how varied they are in FFH. Kael, please find a way to bring that excitement to E:WOM. 

November 26, 2010 5:02:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Conquering a city doesn't remove enchantments on it
The computer players aren't casting spells (I know because I had to disable it for the 1.1 beta)
When I found a city, it should do the animation first before taking you to the book so that you can appreciate what is happening.
The opening page when you enter the game should give you more useful and interesting data.
The world is still too bland and uninteresting in general.
There is still no real personality between the various factions.
The global mana is very very nice.
The overall economy feels much better.
There is still way too much advantage to building lots of cities because each city can do a lot of parallel work.
Archers are too powerful right now (8 attack on short bow is too much)
Tech pacing is better but gets bogged down.
Need more quests
Need a lot better dialog
Not enough diplomatic options
Not enough tools to work together with other players

my comments on some of these:

personality can wait until they are all good at the basics imo. right now there's far too many cities that never build houses and the such like. easy ways to vary them might include different attributes (so mancers have higher con and more hp, wraiths have more int and spell resistance, etc) or research speed bonuses for one particular branch. i think it's far too early for twilight style tech trees.

the global mana is really nice. however, i don't think linear generation with no limit is a good idea. first of all, running any summons or enchants in the long term cripples your stockpiling. every time you cast a spell you put yourself at a mana disadvantage to everyone else for the rest of the game. it encourages peole to save all their mana for a rainy day instead of actually using it. there is more discussion on this elsewhere however.

the economy is better... but i still don't like the food system. we still have a situation where you either have enough food to continue expanding and it doesn't matter (and indeed, having excessive supply has no benefits and it can't be traded) or you don't have enough and you can end up unable to expand or grow (including aquiring more food). it's far too rigid a system; it works a lot better at limiting city spam then before, because cities are no longer able to provide their own food through trade and enchantments. but this just means that you end up running into no-food-paralysis more often. it works at limiting city spam much better, but it's no fun when it does (though this has always been true) in the absence of a food based population growth system, i'd request an option to sacrifice sovereign essense to create fertile land, but we no longer have essence, so....i really don't know.

btw i really miss essense.

i also massively dislike building the same buildings over and over again; i'm getting massive urban sprawl.

agreed on the archers. i also don't see the point of putting longbows and shortbows in the same tech. would be better to have one ranged weapon come earlier; can we get weak short bows as part of basic equipment instead?

i also think it's gone too far in the direction of requiring buildings for units. i can see the principal, and it's noble. however, i'm currently in a situation where i don't have the food to get anywhere but my capital past level 2. and being doomed to watch individual guys crawl round a tactical battle. the game needs more squads and fewer individuals, not the other way around. wouldn't it have been better to have done this by increasing training times and giving us a series of time-reduction buildings at each level?

quests.... i'm still in the position i've always been; they all spawn objectives in or behind enemy territory (or otherwise innacessible) so i never do most of them. it's easy enough to get levels and items through notable locations anyway (would like a way to know which tiles are passable or not without having to walk their first btw).

the monsters... really i am getting the exact opposite experience. currently i am the most powerful faction i know of, but i'm still getting situations where (ten minutes ago) a forest drake appeared in visible space, walked over to my best defended town and walked over the defenders without a scratch, despite them having 3x it's combat rating. this is the second game (of two) where monsters far more powerful than anyone (in the game) could defeat at the time, have conquered my cities. both these games were at EASY difficulty. it's like the game is just randomly selecting where to drop nukes. i don't even think monsters should be attacking cities on easy difficulty; they should be a barrier to expansion rather than a threat to survival. i mean, it wouldn't be so bad if the city simply became a ghost town that i could later retake, but they just instantly destroy EVERYTHING. this has happened in ALL my games sofar in this beta and it's just not fun.

i am also feeling the movement thing, though generally by the late game the mana cost for teleporting is a pittance.

it may not sound it, but generally i really like this patch. great work.

November 26, 2010 7:02:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Any of you having issue with enemy units becoming invulnerable? 100% spell resist and 0 damage from attacks? I mean they guys have a defense of 4 vs attack 20+ and I can't damage them.

YES! Though I can usually kill by melee---just takes more time--trying to figure out at what INT level or otherwise I need to make a magical dent.

November 27, 2010 6:47:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To counter the sprawl.  I'd suggest building multiple of the same building should consume more population , maybe +1 for each additional identical building, so that lab which takes up 3 pop for the first 1 takes up 4 for the 2nd, 5 for the 3rd and so on.

Won't eliminate the problem, but may encourage not spamming.

November 27, 2010 7:30:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a very simple, elegant idea.  I hope the devs consider it.   It could tie with the idea that the first of the population you put in your studies/arcane labs etc. is really suited for the job, and as more of the same building is built, more <less-skilled> people are needed to get the same output.   I know it doesn't really count for global, mobile population, but you could liken it to lots of people in the same place doing boring work and being a lot less productive.

Best regards,
Steven.

November 27, 2010 7:45:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It would be better if population was done by city, instead of on an empire-wide basis, but then you'd have micromanagement concerns/exploits.

A hard cap on buildings based on city level, not counting huts (to avoid a newbie trap)- is something I've been suggesting for a while now.

Also, the side effect of what I'm suggesting for the pop costs is that it would encouraging levelling up cities to get multipliers and advanced buildings, which would be much more efficient then spamming.   The best way to reduce city spam is to make bigger cities better, and/or smaller cities worse.

November 27, 2010 11:08:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,
To counter the sprawl. I'd suggest building multiple of the same building should consume more population , maybe +1 for each additional identical building, so that lab which takes up 3 pop for the first 1 takes up 4 for the 2nd, 5 for the 3rd and so on.

Won't eliminate the problem, but may encourage not spamming.

Unfortunately this would just encourage city spam without solving anything. People would just build otherwise pointless cities and spread the buildings around so that they don't cost as much. Plus it would go againist the general theme of city specialization.

Quoting Alstein,
It would be better if population was done by city, instead of on an empire-wide basis, but then you'd have micromanagement concerns/exploits.

Agreed but hard to do because troops take up population to.

Quoting Alstein,
A hard cap on buildings based on city level, not counting huts (to avoid a newbie trap)- is something I've been suggesting for a while now.

Also, the side effect of what I'm suggesting for the pop costs is that it would encouraging levelling up cities to get multipliers and advanced buildings, which would be much more efficient then spamming.   The best way to reduce city spam is to make bigger cities better, and/or smaller cities worse.

Unfortunately for reasons beyond me they actually removed all non-food multipliers. True your idea would make advanced buildings better however advanced buildings are already better, your idea would just make basic buildings unbuildable after a certain point and advanced buildings 100% necessary. With the only way to get around this being  building another city where costs are lower.  Cities level through population so the only way to level cities is to build huts. Because you need population to build buildings people already build as many huts as possible and level their cities, so they wouldn't need anymore encouragement to build huts and level cities. Your idea would cause people to build smaller cities not bigger ones..

November 27, 2010 3:08:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

each of those cities cost 1 food though.  It would be more effective to build a lvl 3 then a lvl 4 city, then lvl ones.

The hard cap would mostly limit lvl 1 and lvl 2's (I'm thinking limits of 5/20/45/75/125 for building in a city by level would work)

November 28, 2010 12:12:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What do you need from us, FrogBrad? I have a whole list of things that just went wrong with my last game, but I don't want to waste my time or inundate you all with an insane amount of stuff. What are you guys working on for 1.1? What can we help with?

November 28, 2010 1:44:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

can i also add that, while i like having the option to update my unit cards, it seems to forget the new ones and revert to the old ones eventually (i have yet to pinpoint the trigger for this EDIT: turns out alt-tabbing is one of them) i am also experiencing increasing stability issues the longer the game goes on (not something i had before). this usually happens when i quicksave (but not consistently)

November 28, 2010 1:52:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wierd / annoying bug:

When I reload a save game / autosave,

#1) Foreign Relations loses all history - people don't remember I killed their wives, etc, it's as if we've never met - but still have some value of a relationship [ie, warm not neutral]

#2) Area of control *SHRINKS* ... I lose a bunch of satellite buildings and need to rebuild them.

November 28, 2010 5:03:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
I will agree that population needs some tweaking. Instead of global population, perhaps a population by city? Also, I've never worried about population, as it doesn't seem particularly finite. What's the point of implementing this system if it doesntvreally change anything. I'm just spamming studies and arcane labs and not looking back. That also makes my cities pretty boring/ugly. Can we do someting about that, too? Maybe every 4 labs makes an uber-lab with different graphics and better stats? Something... I'll do what I can to help. This game is so close...
November 28, 2010 5:05:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

More bugs: 

Bad templates. Empire peasants and sentinels still have combat-speed 1. Kingdom peasants have access to equipment normal troops dont

Wierd stuff available from loot: Ring of Essence (what does +1 essence do now?). Arm greaves, no longer available in stores, but available as loot.

Gold from monsters. First fight one monster that gives you 22 gold. Then fight another ONE monster, that gives you 26 gold, and 22 gold. Then fight another ONE monster that gives you 32 gold, 26 gold and 22 gold. For some reason you get the old rewards again and again in new fight. The makes the gold gained from monsters increase quadratically.

Charisma does nothing in heroes. The claimed increase to prestige in city does not work.

Large map at extreme difficulties. For every level of loot quest revealed on the map, around 1/3 of the map gets new quests. After a few levels, every single square between factions is littered with multiple quests.

The quest litter also blocks any resources. Gold mines under quests can not be used until the litter quest has been collected.

November 28, 2010 6:16:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Carewolf,

Charisma does nothing in heroes. The claimed increase to prestige in city does not work.

They just didn't write it properly; You get +1 prestige in a city for every 5 points of Charisma *over* 10.

2 Champs with 15 Charisma will provide +2 prestige. Kind of handy... I had a group running around that was basically +15 prestige on demand, teleporting between cities.

November 28, 2010 6:47:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kael the god of Elemental these days.  My efforts focus largely on AI.  The more stuff you think is improtant that you put in here, the more likely that it'll get looked at.

There's a big dividing line between what will be in v1.1 versus what will be in the first expansion pack.  V1.1 is largely still an update to the core game.  So when you're posting something, try to think what you'd expect to have an in UPDATE versus an expansion or sequel.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000875   Page Render Time: