TextCrawler and notepadd++ Software

By on November 1, 2010 5:40:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

larienna

Join Date 10/2009
+20

I have found a small useful software called "text crawler" which allow searching text string into multiple text file. So if you are looking for a variable in particular and actually have no idea in which file it is contained, you select elemental's XML directory, you type the string to search, click find and it will show all the files where the string appears and show you how many times it appeared with an example of string and the line number. From there you can select the files and edit it in an external editor like Notepad. You can also replace string across multiple files.

By the way, there is a neat text editor called "notepad++" which has programming language recognition and much more features like macros and advanced searches.

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 1, 2010 10:05:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I already use Notepad++ but never did find such a search function software, as much as I often wished for such. Thank you for the lead.

TectCrawler can be downloaded here:

http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/textcrawler/tcdownload

November 1, 2010 10:34:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, Notepad++ can search for text in files, no need for another program. Go the Search menu, then find in files. Or, you can hit Ctrl Shift F.

November 1, 2010 10:40:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just search in explorer. Don't even need another program.

November 1, 2010 10:43:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Really? How do you search for text within files with Explorer?

November 1, 2010 10:49:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

After you've done a search, there's a button bottom left that says "file contents" which does the search again but inside files this time.

November 1, 2010 11:20:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I'll be...I guess ya learn something new everyday. I'll probably stick with using notepad however, as it's easier to have the search within the program i'm using to edit the files. Thanks!

November 1, 2010 12:24:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, Notepad++ can search for text in files, no need for another program. Go the Search menu, then find in files. Or, you can hit Ctrl Shift F.

Yes, but you cannot search in multiple files at once.

I just search in explorer. Don't even need another program

Searching inside a file with explorer never worked for me. So I looked for an alternative.

November 1, 2010 12:25:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting impinc,

I've been using notepad++ for a while and never realized that I could search files that I didn't have open.   That is great.  I've been fighting with Win 7's lame file search not working with .xml files very well.   This will be a ton of help.

November 1, 2010 12:45:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting larienna,

Yes, but you cannot search in multiple files at once.

Yes you can. Hit Ctrl SHIFT F. There are 3 tabs at the top of the search window. One is Find, the other replace (also very handy), and Find in files. You don't have to have th files open, just make sure you set the directory for it to search.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: