HIJACKED INTO AN INTERESTING TELEPORT DISCUSSION: I Missed the Latest About 1.1 - Any News? When Are We Gonna Be Delighted?

By on October 21, 2010 12:19:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Black-Knight

Join Date 09/2009
+15

Any news?

Locked Post 74 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 21, 2010 12:39:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
October 21, 2010 3:17:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They have been oddly quite in the last few days, hoping for more news today. I just hope the lack of news comes from eye bleeding hard work and not an abundance of hangovers!

October 21, 2010 4:05:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They are adding three teleporting spells and reducing the cost to teleport.  I can't wait!!!

October 21, 2010 6:22:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They are adding three teleporting spells and reducing the cost to teleport. I can't wait!!!

October 21, 2010 8:28:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Black-Knight,

They are adding three teleporting spells and reducing the cost to teleport. I can't wait!!!

I think n00bonian was just pulling your leg Black-Knight.

You've been very vocal about not wanting any kind of teleport, so n00bonian is having a poke at you. I have been keeping close tabs on the details, and I haven't seen any mention of teleport.......yet!

October 21, 2010 8:28:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Black-Knight,

He is, of course, messing with you  

October 21, 2010 10:57:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Istari,

Quoting Black-Knight,
reply 4

I think n00bonian was just pulling your leg Black-Knight.

You've been very vocal about not wanting any kind of teleport, so n00bonian is having a poke at you. I have been keeping close tabs on the details, and I haven't seen any mention of teleport.......yet!

Jesus people here are psychic.  Somehow I picked up on it when BlackKnight posts 43 times in the same thread that teleporting was science fiction not fantasy.  Sorry...couldn't resist.

October 22, 2010 4:32:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yep 43 times. That's a lot. What was he talking about again ?

October 22, 2010 6:29:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Funny my AD&D v1.0 books have a teleport spell in them.  We could make it a portal...

October 22, 2010 8:43:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, in fact teleport can be scifi and fantastic. Alchemy is considere fantastic but with today science, we can "transmute" material by adding some proton and neutron to existing atome or molecul. The only thing is it's cost so much and produce so less that it's not viable... for now .

October 22, 2010 9:34:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, there are tons of "portals" and teleportations that go on in fantasy. LOTS of fantasy games have teleportation spells, like the Might and Magic series, and fantasy books, like Wheel of Time.

October 22, 2010 9:41:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wheel of Time shout-out! WOOOOH!

October 22, 2010 9:57:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

seems to me though that teleportaion is something of a (relatively) new addition to the fantasy genre, i could be wrong, but wheel of time isn't that old, and lord of the rings had no teleportation, as i recall even the silmarillion(which i know i spelled wrong) the gods were turning into clouds and things to travel quicker, and any fantasy computer game definitely doesn't qualify as old in my book.

memory fades, and i'll be the first to admit i haven't read even a fraction of what is out there, but still i don't remember too much 'blinking' and 'recalling' and 'teleporting' especially in what qualifies as truely old stories. Most of the Merlin/arthur/camelot stories i have heard, and again, by no means all of them, lack instant travel, heck the guy generally walks.

October 22, 2010 10:58:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In my opinion, teleporting is a very dangerous thing to put into medieval fantasy games. Just think of how the automobile changed economics, but times a million. No matter how big of a map you make, and no matter how much you fill it with amazing content, players will use teleporting to bypass all of your good work to get straight to the cheese. They will instantly break down your game into the most basic parts and then complain that its over too quickly.

To sum up the issue perfectly, if Gandalf could teleport, there would be NO story to tell. Since all good games are basically mechanisms for story telling, you must be aware that teleportation is the *perfect* solution to all problems of logistics, and thereby removes vast opportunites for tension and conflict. It turns 'quests' into 'errands'.

October 22, 2010 11:11:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, in fact in middle earth, magic is not common. Second, in fantasy base litterature or mythologie, there is some God/demon that can allow you to travel space and time (think about the three sister in the greek mythos who control the destiny and pull the string of life). In my opinion, if they can throw you back and forth in time, they should be able to let you teleport .

October 22, 2010 11:31:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We teleported in D&D since before I was born. 

October 22, 2010 11:42:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Screw the lore discussion. Irrelevant in every possible way. Elemental makes its own lore.

Does teleporting make for fun gameplay? Does it make for balanced gameplay?

The answers to both those questions are - no.

October 22, 2010 12:11:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

But we need a way to transport quicker.  Does taking 100 turns to move an army across the map make for fun gameplay?  No. 

October 22, 2010 12:27:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Does taking 100 turns to move an army across the map make for fun gameplay?  No. 

In an ideal world.... The answer to that question *should* be an emphatic YES.

You have to examine why you are including teleporting. If you are adding it because your game is boring and people want to bypass your content, then it is unlikely to be fixed by adding teleportation. You're only fixing a symptom of a deeper problem.

If you require players to move across the map and its not fun, its probably better to make it fun somehow.

October 22, 2010 1:16:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's why we need rally points.

October 22, 2010 2:15:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, the question is: What is a "balanced" game? Last time I checked, you can only teleport in your AoE, not even outside your AoE. It's only "unbalanced" if you are defending, but let's see with the patch what the spell will do .

October 22, 2010 2:17:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I guess you guys haven't read Destiny' Embers yet!

October 22, 2010 2:27:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yep, teleporting and portals in the book.

October 22, 2010 2:36:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

SCREW THE LORE!!!!! Terrible basis for gameplay mechanics, that is.

October 22, 2010 3:05:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Damn, you guys are OBSESSED with teleport!!!

Damn you all trolls! This thread is NOT abou that 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: