Gimp FU-Script for elemental logos

By on October 20, 2010 3:07:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

econundrum1

Join Date 04/2007
+36

Hi all,

for those of you who use Gimp I created this fu-script for creating the backgrounds for elemental logos.

to use it drop it in your \Gimpxx\Script folder and do Filters->FU-Script->Refresh Scripts from inside gimp.

Now go to file->Create->Elemental->Elemental Logo

You can play with the type of background e.g. solid, Horizontal or vertical halves or quarters, set two base colors to use and determine how mottled the background is (this option gives it a more  water color effect.

When it's exicuted you will see a black square this is the top layer for you to paint the foreground image on, look in layers to turn it off and show the generated background.

I'm assuming familiarity with how to create a mask and merge down layers once you have painted the foreground image.

Have a play and tell me what you think

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8889140/FU_elemental_logo.scm

Locked Post 10 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 20, 2010 3:52:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Excellent.   Thank you!!!!  Runs to try it out.

October 20, 2010 4:33:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So far so good.   However, I have just changed black to transparent and then merged layers.   Is there a better way to do this?   

October 20, 2010 4:35:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What I normally do is select the black background with the magic wand then do add mask from selection with invert ticked. I'm not the hotest on this myself though haven't been using gimp long. But that seemed easiest to me.

October 20, 2010 5:07:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

can you post some screenshots please?

October 20, 2010 5:35:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ok here's one example,

no more time now I'm afraid. Notice the mottle can be adjusted this is about 85%.

Example background notice the mottle effect

October 21, 2010 7:39:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

thank you

October 21, 2010 8:17:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ok if you download it again, I've improved it. The new version creates a top layer to paint on which is transparent to start with so just paint on that no need for a mask.

October 21, 2010 1:08:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is perfect.   Simple to use, yet makes the logos consistent with the vanilla ones.   

October 21, 2010 1:43:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,
This is perfect.   Simple to use, yet makes the logos consistent with the vanilla ones.   

Thanks that is what I was aiming for, I may try my hand at a few other useful little utility scripts for things like this.

I'm thinking of extracting the various animals and symbols from vanilla logos as brushes that can be scales, etc

What I'd like to achieve is a really good water color script to convert photo's to an elemental graphics style, that's hard to do though no artistic filter I've seen for water colors really works that well.

October 21, 2010 3:21:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting econundrum1,

I'm thinking of extracting the various animals and symbols from vanilla logos as brushes that can be scales, etc

That would be really nice.   I was looking online for various symbols that I could use on my logos.   Unfortunately, I have no real artistic talent on my own.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: