BigDownload Interview with Derek Paxton and Brad Wardell

By on October 13, 2010 9:39:04 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+755

The news broke this week that Derek Paxton will be joining Stardock to lead the games team on Elemental and other projects.  BigDownload has an interview with both Derek and Brad posted on their site.  Check it out!

First, for people who might not know you, can you give us a little about your background in gaming and mod making?
I'm a huge fan of turn based strategy games, so much so that I created the Fall from Heaven mod for Civilization IV. I was fortunate enough to gather a group of talented artists, writers and designers from the mod community to work on that game. Fall from Heaven is a dark fantasy strategy game and listed as #2 in PC Gamer Magazine's 'Top 200 Reasons to love PC gaming' (
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=21399) and is the world's most popular mod for Civilization IV.

Full interview at BigDownload.

Locked Post 20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 13, 2010 6:11:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice interview, except that they talked a lot without actually saying anything.

No, but it's good PR. Now with that out of the way, the real work can be started.

October 13, 2010 6:58:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I thought is was a nice interview and I look forward to Brad's work on the mutlithreaded AI.  The fundamental problem will be the balance of equipment stats and spell and the new combat engine.  I hope the new AI work will occur AFTER teh balance work and not BEFORE or concurrent with as it will likely make the AI lousy all over again if the Game parameters change after the AI changes.  (note: in 1.09e the AI is still quite lousy when it is threatened.) 

October 13, 2010 7:07:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Istari,

That's Kael deftly avoiding to insert his foot into his mouth. It's way too early to expect any specific promises or even hints at features to come.
He'll still be analysing and planning.

October 13, 2010 7:31:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gazz_,

Quoting Istari, reply 1

That's Kael deftly avoiding to insert his foot into his mouth. It's way too early to expect any specific promises or even hints at features to come.

No! If I expect the Kael to know everything about the upcoming design changes and implementation schedules, then he should know and be certain ahead of time and with no prior research or examination! What's to plan and analyse anyway? Just put in a few ninja robots with mega-magic death rays and automated state-of-the-art laser-guided soft-touch zero-irritation butt-scratchers, and you'll have yourself an award-winning instant classic.

*frustrated* Where's Lord Xia when you need a timely and inappropriate remark?

October 13, 2010 8:00:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Istari,

fuck.

How's that?

October 13, 2010 8:24:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kapeman,

Quoting Istari, reply 4

fuck.

How's that?

*tastes tentatively, and takes in the aroma*

This remark, whilst adequately inappropriate, lacks the subtlety and ridiculous comical nature of other remarks in the same price range.

You do gain points for timeliness. Sadly though, scouts have reported that my Lord Xia is in Normandy, and that is cause for the delay in appropriation of suitable satire.

October 13, 2010 9:08:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Istari,

Quoting Gazz_,
reply 3

Quoting Istari, reply 1

No! If I expect the Kael to know everything about the upcoming design changes and implementation schedules, then he should know and be certain ahead of time and with no prior research or examination! What's to plan and analyse anyway? Just put in a few ninja robots with mega-magic death rays and automated state-of-the-art laser-guided soft-touch zero-irritation butt-scratchers, and you'll have yourself an award-winning instant classic.

Doing best Lord Xia impression -

That reminds me of my all-time fav movie - Pulp Fiction.  Now there's 2 guys who know how to talk without saying anything.

October 13, 2010 9:40:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting scifi1950,
That reminds me of my all-time fav movie - Pulp Fiction.  Now there's 2 guys who know how to talk without saying anything.
Sounds like you missed a substantial portion of the point.

October 13, 2010 9:50:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cruxador,

Quoting scifi1950, reply 7

Is the point that there is no point? Because if so, I can relate. Apparently, there is also no spoon, and a shortage of qualified truth handlers.

October 14, 2010 11:24:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Istari,

Quoting Cruxador,
reply 8

Is the point that there is no point? Because if so, I can relate. Apparently, there is also no spoon, and a shortage of qualified truth handlers.

How can there be a point to an inappropriate comment? 

My apologies to Lord Xia, the student has failed the Master.

October 15, 2010 6:02:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry, I've changed and become a perfect gentleman...

October 15, 2010 6:09:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Istari,

Quoting Cruxador, reply 8

That's... yeah, actually, that's basically the point.

October 15, 2010 6:16:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The gradual evolution of Elemental into a first person shooter should be plain and obvious. Everyone already knows that.

October 15, 2010 6:30:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You jest, but a first person game playing as Nym would be bad ass...

October 15, 2010 8:45:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
The gradual evolution of Elemental into a first person shooter should be plain and obvious. Everyone already knows that.

Stop feeding the conspiracy theorists, you'll validate their existence!

Cue the humour impaired crazy theory spouters in:

(P.S, With the use of a possession spell on an archer, or a unit with a fireball spell, the FPS is quite achievable)

October 15, 2010 9:02:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Sorry, I've changed and become a perfect gentleman...

My good man, are you forgetting the irregular words of the venerable Sir William W. Wonka? "Stop, don't, come back." No wait, it was something else......got it!, "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."

Now, change back into your turquoise monkey suit and use your mighty insult powered trebuchet to fling some processed faeces at the hungry troll masses.

October 15, 2010 10:49:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Istari,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 13The gradual evolution of Elemental into a first person shooter should be plain and obvious. Everyone already knows that.

Stop feeding the conspiracy theorists, you'll validate their existence!

Cue the humour impaired crazy theory spouters in:

(P.S, With the use of a possession spell on an archer, or a unit with a fireball spell, the FPS is quite achievable)

You now know why our PR people have to be paid well. I say things that get reported out of context on a regular basis.  

October 15, 2010 11:31:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

You now know why our PR people have to be paid well. I say things that get reported out of context on a regular basis.

I could be a PR rep for you. I excel at obfuscating even the clearest of points. I'll take the context out of your comments and parallel-report multiple ambiguous versions of your quotes in both relevant and non-related media forums, including local train-side graffiti, school assemblies, and seismology reports. By the time I'm undone with your image, cows will be dreaming of Horatio Sanz on a copper plated wooden pallette, eating semi-loose moist gravel, expounding scientific revelations from 3002.7 years after you thought about being born. But isn't Elemental an enchanting 4x game by that great company Stardock, headed up by the always charming Brad Wardell?

So yeah, hire me. You won't have to pay me much, as I will work for limited edition karma. (It comes with a cloth map of my profile).

October 18, 2010 10:20:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I thought this was interesting

While it's true that I do plan to develop a stand-alone version of Fall from Heaven, at this time I want to focus on making Elemental the best strategy game possible.

October 22, 2010 8:33:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Lies. You can't have a real FPS without NAZIs to shoot.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time: