What are your early game strategies?

By on October 12, 2010 1:19:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

charon2112

Join Date 02/2009
+57

Sorry if this is a repeat post, the search function seems to be broken.

So, would you guys mind sharing your early (or mid and end) game strategies.  Like, what resources do you go for first?  What buildings do you think are most important?  How often, and how many cities do you build?  

Thanks.  

Locked Post 28 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 12, 2010 1:29:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The most important is food, then getting a gold and a lost library.  After a bit food becomes pointless, and gold less so, and tech becomes the most valuable.

I spread out picking up resources as I go, hiring heroes and summoning various summon creatures (whom I send out with the hired heroes) to pick up loot from abandoned wares and to go on quests.  Also to fight and level up.

I try to level up Civilization first (and most) so that I can get pubs and inns so my cities level up faster (also for the housing bonus, because huts just don't produce enough housing).

I generally make archers pretty early on too (I have the Master Archer trait selected for my faction).  Once you have a proper set of cities, (all with caravans running about for roads and food) then I fully set out to conquer any neighbors and grab all lost libraries and gold mines that are still not being mined.

October 12, 2010 2:42:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There is great post by phazonfreak that addresses many beginning strategies. You should really check that out.

Like Jandurin, I go for food and gold first. I try to expand aggressively toward any other resource I can get. Crystal & iron are next on my list. Crystal does not produce very rapidly so the sooner you get that the better.  I also constantly fight to level up my sovereign--more mana for more spells and to imbue heroes. I also marry my sovereign as soon as possible. I know you can wait for a really good match so that offspring can be more powerful, but I tend to be impatient & I have been reasonably successful marrying the first potential spouse available. For me, kids don't turn up until around turn 150 or so. If you build temples that increase essence, then your offspring will only grow more powerful.

In the beginning, I research evenly. Harvest & production, Quests--they provide extra loot (stay up with this category. you need level 5 for the really good stuff), diplomacy to get trade routes going & start Dynasties, conquest to build armies (I use single units to explore. Squads do much better in battle). I usually play empire so Scion temples are important. I closely monitor production to avoid ever being negative gold or food.

As I expand, defense is priority. I will try to conquer 1-2 other factions ASAP. In the beginning they're weak and often have a resource I want or are just in the way of my expansion. A sovereign with basic offensive spells and a squad or two usually does it. I haven't made much use of archers--certainly not in the beginning for Empire & for my style of play and available resources. Maybe I am missing something? I prefer catapults myself but later in the game--turn 250 or so, I employ both.

Shards? Bend over backwards to get them. Priority no matter what stage in game. Yeah, I may not need that fire shard to win but I'm still going to get it.

Late game strategy? Well, it has not been quite like chess where your opponent might be able to muster an offensive and win. I don't know about anybody else but at that stage of the game, the outcome is already determined.

October 12, 2010 2:52:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting.  I haven't messed around with crystal or shards much.  I really need to try new game styles.  I've finally decided that I'll give magic a try instead of just having tons of archers.  heh

Also, I always forget to get married until around turn 150.

October 12, 2010 2:57:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you very much!

Quoting cpl_rk,
Read these three threads:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/398726

http://forums.elementalgame.com/398673

http://forums.elementalgame.com/398722

October 12, 2010 3:04:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I dont have a strategy, I just do stuff, then stuff happens, then I do more stuff.  Yes, I suck at these games, but I have a lot of fun...

October 12, 2010 6:25:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
I dont have a strategy, I just do stuff, then stuff happens, then I do more stuff.  Yes, I suck at these games, but I have a lot of fun...

for honesty!

October 12, 2010 8:32:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Magic is one of the best parts of this game. Fire spells with corresponding shards will greatly enhance the power of your armies. It what I usually use to wipe out enemy archers.

October 12, 2010 8:35:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yep, food is the thing you need to start, if you are so inclined, keep starting a new game till you get food , gold , iron, and a library. Then plant your first city!

October 12, 2010 9:07:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My early game strategy (in fact, my entire game strategy) can be boiled down to three words.

Style. Over. Substance.

Even if it is more effective to place small outposts on the three different valuable resources in a large area, I prefer the imagery of having a HUGE city harvesting them all, even if it will take hundreds of turns until its influence reaches every resource. Even if establishing a city through the main pass between me and my enemy, which has no resources around it, and expanding it until it fills the pass entirely (think Lord of the Rings: The Black Gate) and garrisoning it to repel constant invasions isn't as effective as just sallying out, destroying the enemy and taking their stuff, who cares, it's still dang cool.

Sometimes it backfires and I abandon a game. But other times I end up with awesome situations like my current Empire game. At the moment I own half the map, and everyone fears the boot steps of my huge forces of Legionnaires, Quenars given leather armour and spears and sent out in the largest forces possible. Or like my previous Kingdom game, where my first line of defense came from my Rangers, expert archers given incredible equipment (lots of packs, and magical items that heightened their damage to incredible numbers) and sent to guard the pass in ones or threes. Half the time they could intercept an enemy army and crush it with nary a concern. Seeing enormous trolls fall to the arrows of a half dozen unnamed rangers was very satisfying.

Edit: Additional: I should mention the previous Ranger game arose because I was in a fairly good starting position, with lots of materials, lost libraries, reasonable gold, a couple of shards, even several crystals, only a few real entry-ways into the area, etc etc. The real problem? In the entire defensible starting position, I had a grand total of 1 iron mine. As a result, the vast majority of my troops were given leather armour and armed with bows or spears, a few defenders with swords and shields, and only the very elite graced with metal armour. So the Rangers were created. My only disappointment is the computer never really sent swathes of metal armoured soldiers to my doorstep so they could be cut down with volleys of longbow fire from my archers, with the remainders picked off by accurate fire from the rangers.

October 12, 2010 9:11:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jeffalford,
Yep, food is the thing you need to start, if you are so inclined, keep starting a new game till you get food , gold , iron, and a library. Then plant your first city!

Is there a short-cut key for regenerating the map...like Ctrl+N for GalCiv2?

October 13, 2010 7:44:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, mine was very unusual compared to the rest.

I play on large map, ridiculous difficulty, full enemy factions, and i prefer kingdom over empire.

I'd rather go for lost library over food, 1 is enough, tho 2 is better.

At Turn 1, i always give boots to my sov and janusk to increase their movement. Then go looking for material and gold chest. Then i focus on getting materials to train pioners and archers asap. Most of the time i need more than 2 cities (for their workshop) if i can't find material resource node (usually 1 node is enough), however if i find 1 or more material node, i usually need only 2 or 3 cities.

For research, i focus on Warfare to get party (4 group units). After that focus on Adventure to get lots of gold, keep researching till unlocking breon's letter. As soon as i have 160 gold and 20 material, i train archer, repeating this untill i have 3 or 4 parties of archers (usually at turn 90 if i'm lucky). I don't bring those archers with my sov or janusk till i get the dragon quest.

My sov and janusk focus on getting scroll cache, ruined house, varhal archives and morzan temple, also focusing on marrying janusk asap to get childrens asap (i don't care about their traits, i only need them because they can cast haste, fear, confusion and burning blade and have mana regeneration). As soon as i have dungeonering tech researched, i begin to look for dragon, i usually get the dragon at turn 100 ish, then feed the dragon with all +atk book i have. After i got breon's letter, i focus on getting combat magic spellbook. Burning blade, haste, fear and confusion are top priority spells to be researched asap.

As soon as i get dragon and feed him with those +atk scrolls, i begin to trample nearby factions while keep training archers as many as possible, especially if there are varhel archieves and morzan temple in their teritories. After i got temple of essence and combat spell book research, i focus on getting veteran troops and company, then i switch to diplomacy till i get young dragon. My main forces are dragon, young dragons, archers and sometimes drath warriors, as for archers, i don't care about their hp and def, i focus only on atk. Usually at turn 300 i already conquered 3/4 of the map.

Well, i don't build my civilization (i left my original cities at lv 1), i steal it from the enemy, my strategy focus on full conquest with little care to civilization.

October 13, 2010 9:26:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Research Diplomacy first so you will have Caravans ready to rumble.Then Magic once to get Shards online. After that, see what you find as you comb the land scape.

Play Elves

October 13, 2010 9:32:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I never use archers, I always auto-resolve combats.  I never use heroes other than the 'professional ones' which I park in my cities and forget about.  As far as opening strategies, I play on a custom map I made for myself with Elementarra and fine tuned with the built-in map editor.  Basically there are 3 continental masses - the main one contains 6 players, the 2nd biggest is me and the smallest is the Elves.  The map is large enough that by holding only my small continent I have enough to win the game.  I will typically reload the game until I get the ideal initial set-up (a temple and a lost library) then I move about collecting goodies, getting the familiar ASAP.  I will research 1st trade, then agriculture, then squads.  I tend to build cities relatively close so that the territory becomes with my ZOC faster.  Right now in my current game I'm at turn 520 and I've virtually won without firing a shot.  Oh and I neglect the adventuring tree except for the extra resources.  Dungeoning is ... so tedious.

So I think I'm playing this more like a civilization close than anything else.  In that regard there's lots of room for improvement.

G.

October 13, 2010 10:01:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[quote who="atlatea" reply="12" id="2802255"]Well, mine was very unusual compared to the rest.

I play on large map, ridiculous difficulty, full enemy factions, and i prefer kingdom over empire.

I'm curious--why kingdom over empire? I prefer empire because the specialized units seem more powerful. I played kingdom and while the dragons & Drath warriors are bad ass, I found the shrills & spiders not be very effective offensively.

October 13, 2010 1:06:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, i guess that's the reason, you like units, while i don't use any other units beside quest dragon, drath, young dragons, and archers, and off course spellcasters mainly act as buffer and debuffer (offensive spells in this game are too weak and underpowered).

Another reason is the adventure tech of the empire is inferior compared to kingdom.

This is because most peoples probably play EWoM like a classic 4x game, while i'm not, i'm bored with classic 4x, and i'm looking for a different way to play in 4x, and EWoM provide what i want. As i said, i got most of my resources pure from gold chest and pillaging enemy cities, i don't raise my own civilization, i often forget about my original cities (since i often left them at lv 1), ai's cities are better and improve faster (especially in ridiculous diffculty). Getting resources from mines and cities are far inferior compared from adventuring, by turn 100 cities alone won't give 4k-6k gold, while adventure made it seems so easy to get 6k gold at turn 100, same with the other resources.

As for elite units that has very high defense, very high atk, and very high hp (thanks to the heaviest armor, best weapons and accecories), it matters not if i have a unit that has more than 400 atk and true dmg, if i'm lucky i can have 700 ish atk (100% without bug exploiting) and confusion spell, pop that confusion spell and enemy high atk suddenly become a joke (100% miss) while their high defense means nothing.

The problem is i won't have all of that with empire.

October 13, 2010 7:17:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I mainly use Champions and imbue them and level them up in a single stack with summoned creatures then when I have enough, fork them off into two stacks then 3.  I never have too much of a shortage of gold but then I'm not buying much anymore either.

October 13, 2010 9:10:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Getting resources from mines and cities are far inferior compared from adventuring, by turn 100 cities alone won't give 4k-6k gold, while adventure made it seems so easy to get 6k gold at turn 100, same with the other resources.

Hmm...sounds pretty good. You're right about pillaging the other cities--that's pretty advantageous. I will definitely give kingdom another look. Just to verify, you have 6 thousand gilder at turn 100? That alone is appealing. My current game is around turn 180 & I have 1k How many armies at that point btw?

October 13, 2010 10:59:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I build my city.  Build a material production building.  Build a farm.  One hut.  Then I don't build anything until I have enough resources for a pioneer.  I try to get two cities as soon as possible, that way I can produce more materials faster.  I can produce pioneers faster, and can capture more nearby resources. 

Sure I loose some research and gold production early in game, but the ability to quickly expand the kingdom/empire (which is based primarly on the scarcity of materials) makes up for that loss in the long run.

Yes you might argue that other things are also important..... but they really aren't early in the game.  If I don't have enough resources to sustain expansion, I don't buy/hire/upgrade early in the game. 

Also I usually play with the Master Archer talent, and produce naked archers (no armor) in large numbers as soon as I can because they have the best cost/damage dealt/damage taken ratio of early game non-magical units.  And if I do loose them, they aren't expensive to replace.  Plus early in the game one of these units can successfully defend a city against almost anything.

I research one combat spell, and then focus everything else to upgrade my magic to get better summons, and area affect spells asap! All other spells are really not necessary.

All my hero upgrades go into essence and intelligence.

This way I can have a fairly large army that can deal good damage while staying out of AI's range. 

Marriage.... well I only marry two types of people (yes I am shallow).  Either merchants or researchers.  Because the offspring of the same gender gain the same talents.  So with four kids I could have a chance to have an additional +4 to gold/research in the future.  If the offspring are the same gender as my character (who is a combat focused character) then I have more good combat heros.  I benefit regardless of the gender of kids I have.  The NPC adventurers aren't that great usually.... I never hire them.

So basically I try to capture as many of the worlds resources as quickly as possible.

October 14, 2010 7:41:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Phylast57

There are some factors whether you'll have 6k gold or not in turn 100.

First, it depends on how fast your progress on adventuring tech. That's why lost libraries is primary focus, the ideal starting is get 2 lost library asap, if you can before turn 30, you already have 2 libraries built, if you can have more than 2, go for it. This is important, because enemy faction can steal many notables you spawned, simply because you can't open it but the enemy already have the tech to open it. The main source of gold are curgen hoard and treasure chest (both lv 2 and lv 3), curgen alone usually gives 600-800 gold, lv 2 chest 150-200 gold, lv 3 chest 400-600.

Second factor, also as important as the first, you must have high movement speed, so gives the +movement speed item to your sov and early champion asap (usually janusk, no other choice), 3 mov speed is ok, 4 is better, 5 is best. And because they remove organized trait from sov trait in 1.09, be prepared to be attacked frequently by neutral creatures (just run away if it happends), because you can't bring troops, not even summoned creatures as they'll seriously slow down your movement, which is a big impact, remember enemy can steal your notables (curgen, chests, etc), though you can also steal their's.

Third factor, your luck, well, how many curgen's hoard and treasure chests you get and how good their location depends on it, however most of the time they're near your teritorry or in neutral teritory if your progress in adventuring is nice and your sov have good movement (this is done at full enemy factions, ridiculous difficulty, large map). And curgen hoard and treasure chest doesn't always give gold, they sometimes gives crappy item such as destiny sliver or midnight stone. But, even at worst luck, at turn 100 you should get 3k-4k gold, i never get lower than 3k. Well, remember that you can also steal notables spawned by your enemies.

As for the armies at turn 180, it depends on play style and some factors too, like how many enemy's cities captured, do you already get dragons/drath, etc. I mean it's relative, the adventuring and all those gold are merely an opening, the rest is up to you.  For me, my main army usually consist of the quest dragon (must get him before turn 150, then feed him all +atk books gained from notables), and probably 3-4 archers on my sov side. However this doesn't limit you to use another army (since your gold is abundant and those are merely opening), i mean you can use the heavy armor melee which cost very high and often need crystal, though what technologies you research also depends on play style and usually by turn 180 i neglect melee weapon and armor equipment, though magic equipment is an exception. Basically, it's like quantity vs quality thing, except you have the choice to use magic or not (combat and support spells).

October 18, 2010 8:31:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

while i don't use any other units beside quest dragon

Ok, so far so good. I have the egg but am having trouble figuring out where to take it.

October 18, 2010 3:56:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For me no matter what size map, other factions seem so close.  So I get food/gold if at start, but my main focus is explore and produce pioneers first to settle outposts by resources.  Of course add champions and gain experience through battles with creatures in the way. 

Civ and war tech is a must first.  I need archers, and be along to getting houses (I play kingdom mainly.  Empire seems better tech wise and such but I hate the black ground, give me green grass! plus the birds chirping is better than the empire sounds) 

Then grow and gain archers. Then it is on!  I usually do not research adventure or diplomacy until later on in the game except for the resource adventure ones once I have settled as many outpost/cities as I can until meeting other kingdoms and empires.

Establish your boundaries, build up econ and army, then ready to crush everyone is usually how I have been playing.

I probably should use caravans, but I never do.  I do not want to have to protect them, and I don't even know the benefits really.  Never used them.

October 18, 2010 4:11:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting dabrownsrphat,

I probably should use caravans, but I never do.  I do not want to have to protect them, and I don't even know the benefits really.  Never used them.

The benefits of a caravan are huge, even from just the military point of view not considering economic: 1/2 movement cost is a massive advantage on a large map. Horse archers with 4 or 5 mp now moving 8 to 10 squares even through woods is awseome. I don't bother protecting caravans, just replace them when killed since they're so cheap. Occasionally I dispatch military to monster heavy wooded areas, which serves mostly to level up troops & secondarily protect caravans.

October 19, 2010 4:00:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree, caravan is a must, i use caravan mainly because of the road.

Ok, so far so good. I have the egg but am having trouble figuring out where to take it.

To the place where you met the dragon (ancient dungeon). You can scroll out your map to spot it easily.

October 19, 2010 9:06:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To the place where you met the dragon (ancient dungeon). You can scroll out your map to spot it easily.

Yup, no prob. Thanks. I did that and the Dragon says he's gonna join me but hasn't after 2 turns. Does he take awhile or did I miss a step?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time: