The next phase

By on October 11, 2010 4:49:25 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1107

Elemental: War of Magic v1.09 was released last week.  It’s been a challenging month or so since the release of the game.  At this stage, the technical issues that affected the game at release have been largely resolved.

Now we move towards the next phase which is where we begin to address the game play based on feedback and our own experience.

Now as some people have probably noticed, most games released today are sequels to existing games. It’s difficult these days to launch a new franchise and Elemental has certainly been no exception.  We don’t wait to wait for some future Elemental II to make sure the game lives up to its potential. And realistically, I don’t think we have that luxury.

Elemental: War of Magic is, ultimately a strategy game that lives in a fantasy/RPG style world.  There is so much potential there to be tapped and having suffered the knocks of the initial launch, we want to make sure we do things right going forward.

During the later parts of the beta, I took over as the interim Producer (Project Manager) of Elemental: War of Magic.  Typically, my role is that of Executive Producer and AI developer.  But the sheer immensity of Elemental: War of Magic led us to conclude last Spring that I needed to get more directly involved.  With v1.09 now out, it’s time for me to return to my traditional role on our games and pass the torch on to someone else.

After careful internal consideration, it was decided that we needed to bring in someone with a great deal of project management experience.  This way, Elemental and our future games would have a dedicated, experienced, full-time Producer and I would be able to get back to running Stardock as a whole.

Tomorrow, we’ll be announcing the new Producer for Elemental and, in all likelihood, Stardock’s subsequent games that we develop.  This is a person that is already well known and well respected in the PC gaming community and we’re very excited to be able to hire someone with his talent, experience, and qualifications to succeed me as the Producer on Elemental.

This will allow me to focus my time on design and AI on the game without neglecting the rest of Stardock. In turn, a full time experienced Producer on Elemental will ensure that subsequent updates and expansions get the kind of attention they need and deserve.

We are going to have Elemental: War of Magic v1.1 be the transition between he and I.  After that, we’ll begin work on the first expansion pack for Elemental which will be given to all people who currently own Elemental: War of Magic.  I won’t go into any details on that expansion since our new Producer will be heavily involved in the specifics of the design.

Our goal for Elemental to become a worthy successor to classic games like Master of Magic has not changed and we will be continuing to endeavor to make that a reality. Stay tuned!

133 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 11, 2010 4:56:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope it's not Bill Roper.

October 11, 2010 4:59:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ooh, who is it?  I'm super curious!  Is it Brian Reynolds, I'd shit a brick.  Come on, tell us!  Give us a hint or something!

October 11, 2010 5:15:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope he's as vocal as you are. Stardock is my company of choice because of the open communication channels you guys have. I've been a windows blind user for years because of that!

That being said I can't wait to see whats in store!

October 11, 2010 5:22:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Shit, couldn't chase Frogboy away from the forums with a stick so even if the new guy isn't vocal, surely Brad will keep us updated.

October 11, 2010 5:26:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll put a nickel on Brian Reynolds.  Elemental meets Alpha Centauri.  Sweet!

October 11, 2010 5:26:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok i might sound like a fan boy but i don't really care.

This is another example of why i love Stardock.

Tell the truth how many games in the last 5 years alone where the next BIG thing?

But thier Gold version was horrible and while everyone waited for the patches to start coming but it was all but dropped like a hot potatoe while at the same time they started pointing to the next game in the pipeline.

October 11, 2010 5:29:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is indeend exciting, the new person you are "bringing in" makes be a little nervous, because I really like the overall direction Elemental has been going and not sure I want to see that shaken too much so Elemental can be more like games we've seen before.  But that said:

Quoting ,

Elemental: War of Magic is, ultimately a strategy game that lives in a fantasy/RPG style world.  There is so much potential there to be tapped and having suffered the knocks of the initial launch, we want to make sure we do things right going forward.

As a fan of the adventuring aspect of the game, or at least its potential, I hope you consider the potential for Elemental to succeed as an RPG in a strategy game world.  In other words, to clear a certain dungeon to get the uber warhammer-of-such-and-such your sovereign need to have big enough armies with gear from advanced enough blacksmith shops in cities with large enough population supported by food and trade with other cities, all the while defending themselves from several AI sovereigns who would like a piece of that particular blacksmith shop.

October 11, 2010 5:32:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kael?

October 11, 2010 5:38:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice. 

October 11, 2010 5:58:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Steve Barcia.

October 11, 2010 5:59:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

(He produced Master of Magic and Masters of Orion I & II)

October 11, 2010 6:08:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it the jew producer from Drawn Together?

October 11, 2010 6:17:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OK. I can take a hint. Fine then, I'll do it. Just let me reorganize my schedule and I'll be ready to work on MoM II... I mean Elemental WoM for you. 

October 11, 2010 6:20:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really hope the new producer is going to be as vocal and communicates with us, the community. I would be really disappointed if that isn't the case and he is just another suit. I want to see lots of journals, and be able to communicate directly with those in charge, like it has been for the past few years.

October 11, 2010 6:20:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does the winning guess get a free copy?

My guess would be Soren Johnson--you guys seem to have a good relationship.

Marv

October 11, 2010 6:26:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Jackie Chan 

October 11, 2010 6:28:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Soren would be bad ass too.  Brian or Soren would give me a Nerdgasm.

October 11, 2010 6:54:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Chuck Norris?

October 11, 2010 7:20:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Whoever he is, he better have an iron chin and no feelings. Because we're coming after him!

October 11, 2010 7:29:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If it's Bill Roper, I'd be... well, to say "disappointed" would be an understatement.  I dealt with his messes in Champions and Hellgate and would rather have him as far from my favorite software development company as is reasonably possible.  

My creeping dread surrounding this notion is probably due to his recent leaving of Cryptic a few months back.

That being said, Soren Johnson would be amazing.   Or anyone, really, that has experienced in the whole turn-based field of things.

October 11, 2010 7:31:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it Brian Reynolds

I`d have to shit my own pants.  I think it`s unrealistic Stardock could get someone of that calibre.  I`d love to see it.  That is the creator of the almighty Alpha Centauri.  The best 4x game there ever was.  Very interested to see who it is.

October 11, 2010 7:33:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
Elemental: War of Magic v1.09 was released last week.  It’s been a challenging month or so since the release of the game.  At this stage, the technical issues that affected the game at release have been largely resolved.

Um not to be the Negative Joe.. but NO they haven't.  MANY of us still suffer from the Out of Memory issue, which is a MASSIVELY significant technical issue.  that isn't even touching on the fact the end of turn not working after a few hundred turns continues to occur even with 1.9 as well as the Cities randomly renaming themselves to other faction city names etc...

I have faith Stardock will resolve these things until now as you have been very forthcoming about the issues of the game and in fixing things offering free expansions etc.. or at least I did until this comment gave me cause for concern as it makes it sound like you think all the major issues like this have been resolved which blatantly they haven't.

i've also been a little perplexed as to why the big push has been on tweaking features and multiplayer aspects when I would have thought ensuring the game actual runs and keeps running for most people would have seemed like a fairly sensible place to start the tweaks?

Again i don't want to be overly negative, but can we get some assurance that these technical issues are actually going to be resolved?  As much as I love this game its little more than an electronic paperweight to me at the moment because of the constant OOM crashes.

October 11, 2010 8:47:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

the politics of games

October 11, 2010 9:14:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wait for it ..... Peter Jackson!

October 11, 2010 9:48:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I care much more about the what and when, then the who. I do appreciate that Stardock has not just abandoned this game, although there is nothing in their history that would have led one to expect that. Many of us, myself included, have been waiting a very long time for a truly worthy successor to MOM. This might become that game in time but it is not very close at the moment: complexity is not necessarily a synonym for depth and the best aspect of MOM (IMO), the tactical combat engine, is MIA. I don't like the graphics much, but that is a personal taste thing and is a very low priority for a turn based strategy game. I haven't played enough (I stopped for a whole month due to incessant crash issues - which have become occasional crash issues. As a longtime TES player, I can live with that.) to really know but it seems all the factions are very, very similar and while world/empire building has been pretty good from the start, the rest of the game is pretty bland and needs a serious injection of fun to become the epic we would all like it to be.

And I don't really care about being perceived as negative: the game was released in a totally unacceptable condition and this is about Stardock in damage control mode (something that I have experienced in my career, so they have my empathy if not my sympathy). I would prefer to provide my views on where I hope 1.1 is going than speculating on who might be doing it. Looking forward to the growth of this game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001687   Page Render Time: