What's coming in the expansion pack?

By on October 11, 2010 10:08:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trojasmic

Join Date 04/2006
+40

Frogboy can't share what's coming in the expansion pack so I will take a crack at it...

There are certain things this game desperately needs many of which you can see just from reading the forums... Interestingly, SD has publicly committed to many of them, but has been mum on the others...hmmmmmmm.

Therefore, the expansion pack must contain:

1.  Improved hero/champion system.  There will be more heroes and they will have more interesting and upgradeable skills and attributes.  This will apply to the sovereigns as well.

2.  Lots more quests.  There will be more random quests and better quest tracking capabilities.

3.  More notable locations.  There will be lots more notable locations including dungeon crawls.

4.  Uncommon/Rare/Unique item drops.  You get the idea. 

5.  Interactive landscape.  We'll see active volcanoes, forests that can be cut down and harvested, rain/snow, etc.

6.  More customizable troop options.  Yes, you'll finally get to create a gaggle of blond archers in pink dresses!

7.  Events.  You'll be able turn on/off or mod random events.

8.  Many UI improvements.  City screens, diplomacy overviews, interactive kingdom management dashboards, etc.

9.  Multi-player options.  Hotseat and PBEM.

10.  And finally ... BEAR FREAKIN CALVARY!!!

Any bets?

Locked Post 37 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 11, 2010 10:12:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can cut forest down now and create an army of blond chicks with bows and pink dresses. 

October 11, 2010 10:46:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Multi-player options.  Hotseat and PBEM.

They've already stated this isn't happening.

October 11, 2010 10:49:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As to #6, what I'd really be hoping for is a way to add special abilities to troops, rather than improvements in looks.  The ability to have priests, magicians, oracles, fakirs, etc. which are all sort of "one spell wonders", imbued with a particular spell at the cost of a (now) per mana maintenance cost for the troops will do a lot to move us off of magic being more front and center in combat.

You missed the most important thing that has been said for 1.1, too.  Initiative based tactical combat, instead of WEGO.  A huge improvement that will lend significant strategic depth.  Down with the tyranny of side based turns, give me a combat queue any day of the week (and in case you're reading, put that combat queue at the bottom of the screen, please, so I can see who'll have initiative next, and then next, and then next...)

Winni

October 11, 2010 10:52:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting riadsala,

Multi-player options.  Hotseat and PBEM.

They've already stated this isn't happening.

wooot where did they say that ?

i can only say more spells more skilz for heroes and a deeper dynasty sistem and iam happy

October 11, 2010 12:24:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
You can cut forest down now and create an army of blond chicks with bows and pink dresses. 

How?

October 11, 2010 1:36:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There is a spell called blistering desert or some shit that removes everything on the tile, I use it to remove foresr to build all the time.  And you just need to have a race of blond humans, like the Mancers, create a faction with egalitarian and choose pink as a color, and then play the game with them and make pink dress wearing archers.  Boom and Slam, aka BOOMSLAM!

October 11, 2010 3:18:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
There is a spell called blistering desert or some shit that removes everything on the tile, I use it to remove foresr to build all the time.  And you just need to have a race of blond humans, like the Mancers, create a faction with egalitarian and choose pink as a color, and then play the game with them and make pink dress wearing archers.  Boom and Slam, aka BOOMSLAM!

I always wondered about that spell, so it removes forests?  That could come in handy.

October 11, 2010 3:51:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Removing forest is the only thing I have ever used it for, not sure why you would want to remove a resource.

October 11, 2010 4:11:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

2, 3, 4, 6, and maybe 7 will probably get a good bit of love just during the normal course of things. Those are modular systems, and it's not hard to toss a few new things into an update.

October 11, 2010 4:17:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

*Jaw Drop* OMG! So it is a useful spell after all..

October 11, 2010 4:25:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I want spider and scorpion cav, along with the ability to marry sovereigns if you get a good relationship with them.

October 11, 2010 4:33:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't done it yet but i thought maybe the spell could target a town and blow stuff up... it would explain its cost if it did that.

edit - i mean if it does exactly what it says in th description, it would make it an instant kill spell for anything in the world map.... or i may be misreading it 

October 11, 2010 5:15:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bear Cavalry FTW!!!

October 11, 2010 5:18:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really like Blistering Sands, Raise/Lower Land, Volcano, Flood and Earthquake - being able to change the environment is something that's pretty unique and awesome.

On the flipside, they have some bugs... like I can't cast blistering sands outside an area I control (no good for wiping out enemy resources?) and when I flood or volcano an opposing city, the AI doesn't realize I did it and/or doesn't care. Who doesn't declare war on you for sniping their city with a volcano?!

October 11, 2010 5:19:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thre is an Earthquake master spell that might wipe a town out, but you have to have a earth shard and it's late game, I might try and see what it can do tonight.

October 11, 2010 5:25:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Volcano/Flood >>> Earthquake!

(Volcano and Flood both have predictable outcomes while Earthquake is random)

October 11, 2010 5:26:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Thre is an Earthquake master spell that might wipe a town out, but you have to have a earth shard and it's late game, I might try and see what it can do tonight.

I've tried some of the mudslide & there was one other spell that slowed the enemy down .. absolutely no effect. Maybe the spell was bugged, has anyone had any luck with those type spells?

October 11, 2010 6:22:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There is one combat spell that causes units to not be able to enter the tile, but they easily move around it, its pretty pathetic, I actually laughed out loud at the idea of the spell on a completely flat battlefield.  Could be usful if the tactical battle fields had any depth to them at all, but nothing.

October 11, 2010 8:30:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Random events:

Treachery

Volcano/Earthquake

Famine

Superstition

Civil War

Flood

Slave Revolt

Barbarian Hordes

Epidemic

Civil Disorder

Iconoclasm & Heresy

Piracy

Oh, wait, those are from another game (which I was just playing!).  Yay DOSBox!

October 11, 2010 10:28:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I use raise, lower land all the time.  My city out of space, cramped between a mountain and the sea? OK, raise land seaward, and lower land mountain side.   Have two important cities separated by mountains.  lower land yourself to make a pass.  have annoying neighbors, but you aren't ready to conquer them?  raise land to mountains and close off the passage.  Blistering sand to wipe forests with the monsters in them?  Cool, never thought of that.  Thanks....

October 11, 2010 11:05:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Removing forest is the only thing I have ever used it for, not sure why you would want to remove a resource.

Removing faction specific resources (refugee camps, warg resources, etc etc).

October 11, 2010 11:08:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Me too, I f*** the Earth all day long with my magic shlong.  Shit, sometimes I decide that I want an island city, and if I cant find a motha f'n island, I make one!  And then I might close it off to the world with mountains?  Why? because I can.  Thats why.  I might then close of a neutral faction with mountains just to keep them safe from the hater nations that always want to steel their sweet, sweet neutral iron and ogres. 

October 11, 2010 11:08:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CrazyHarlequin,

Quoting Lord Xia,
reply 8

Removing faction specific resources (refugee camps, warg resources, etc etc).

Huh, that does make sense...jerk proving me wrong. 

October 12, 2010 1:23:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

11. Hexes instead of squares for tactical combat...

Nah, I don't think they will change it, may be in Elemental 2...

October 12, 2010 9:28:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting tjashen,
Random events:

Oh, wait, those are from another game (which I was just playing!).  Yay DOSBox!

Those look very similar to the civilization (boardgame) cards. they get mixed in with the trade cards like ochre, salt.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000641   Page Render Time: