Your sovereign is the powerful Channeler who generates +1 mana per turn. Each time you capture a shard (which in v1.1 willl have 1 seeded near where you start) it will provide +1 mana also as well as amplify certain spells. When you imbue a champion, it costs -1 mana to maintain. When you summon a creature, it will cost -1 mana to maintain. Thus, if you want an army of spell casters, it comes at the cost of having your sovereign being as powerful as he could because he's sharing his power with so many minions. If you keep it all for yourself, you can only be in one place at a time. It also makes controlling shards strategically meaningful because they are the source of the Channeler's power.
This could be a step in the right direction, but as it is now it seems like going for the neuclear option to me an virtually removing magic till the late game. How do you (the community) feel about it?
I already preposed a charge here.
Addtional facts revealed in later statements:
- The number one was used as an example; so think more in terms variables when reading the quoted statement.
- Offspring are naturally able to use magic and do not take upkeep.
- Strategic spells will be castable remotely (not tied to any particular caster and their location).
- Spell cool down and/or cast time will be used for strategic spell.
- Essense will not increase for units, you will have it or not.
- The AI will be modified to really work to gain and hold shards.
(if you find info not listed here, please post it so I can add it easier so everyone is up to date)